Making Up.

Reactions.

Lucy sat down in the coffee shop with her kindle, ‘are you, are you meeting anyone?’ ‘no, no, it’s fine go ahead’ ‘Valentines’ he rolled his eyes, ‘I know’ she smiled, ‘for people who can’t bothered to care for the rest of the year’ flicking a page, ‘I’d love to care about someone like that’ ‘hmm, I don’t know, it’s a big responsibility, you have to consistently feel the same, how humans do it, is quite amazing, I get bored of my favourite record sometimes and that’s scary, cos what if I do that to a person?’ she murmured, the guy looked kind of stunned, ‘I think you just made me think’ ‘thanks’ he smiled, ‘what do you look for?’ ‘someone who when they have something to say, they can justify every word’ he grinned, ‘cos I am not big on small talk’ ‘oh, thank god’ laughing.

'So you're not busy today?' 'no, gladly' 'got out of something' 'no, just don't really like it all that much, I was a nerd in high school, I suppose it's a bit of bitterness and the socialist in me which says things as important as love shouldn't be on a Hallmark receipt' he smiled, 'I like that, what's your favourite song then?' 'oh, god' he laughed a little, 'hmm, well, songs I can't go on with life without hearing, Wildflowers by Tom Petty' he smiled, 'good choice' 'thanks, Running From Lions by All Time Low, that's a song reminds me of growing up in Jersey, Jersey Girl by Tom Waits' he smiled, 'you surprise me' 'good' he smiled, 'hmm, Sitting By The Dock Of The Bay, Ruby Tuesday' 'you have amazing taste in music' 'I had family' laughing a little talking records.

'I'm in a band so I suppose it's important' 'graduating in 3 months' 'in what?' 'English with Philosophy and Music minors' 'that's pretty cool' 'thanks, my minors are done now but I'm just doing my English essays' 'what are your plans?' 'oh, I have a job in a publishers, I proofread but I also am the receptionist' 'here in AZ' 'yeah they do mainly texts and stuff for the university, I like it, it means I can read and learn, also I pick my books so it's like revision too' 'nicely done' 'thank you' laughing a little, 'but yeah 30 hours on reception then I do ten hours proofing' 'cool, I just write and play guitar and tour' 'well, that's living the teenage dream, I mean nothing comes without hard work and a lot of kindness' he smiled, 'hard work and being kind' 'never got anywhere without those two things' he grinned, 'me too, someone was kind enough to listen'.

John looked, ‘you’re going?’ ‘I have to, it’s the Valentine’s Ball at the university’ ‘no date?’ ‘you can take a plus one but I don’t know if I want to’ ‘why don’t you take me Lucy?’ she smirked, ‘I forbid you from wearing a Bolo’ he grinned, ‘alright, I forbid you from wearing flats you’ll look like a dwarf’ ‘and that’s why you’re single’ she giggled, ‘I wasn’t planning too, no worries’ exchanging details, that night he picked up the most gorgeous women he’d met by no mistake, taking her arm, ‘well, you did good darling’ ‘thank you very much’ slow dancing.
-x-
Lucy smiled as John picked her up, ‘you good?’ ”very, good to see you again’ he grinned, ‘mutual’ helping her in the car, ‘thank you’ ‘so, what would you like to do with our evening?’ John smiled, ‘I should buy you dinner right?’ ‘no, let’s hang out, people are so fake on dates’ ‘I am not fake’ ‘I’m not saying that, I just want to be us’ he grinned, ‘ok, what do you suggest?’ ‘want to get takeaway and find a nice spot, not the cliché bullshit on a cliff, just you know in the park or whatever?’ John smiled, ‘did you walk out of my head’ ‘no, I just have known a lot of cheeseballs before you sir’ he grinned, ‘sir, I like that’ ‘that’s the kind of guy I like’ he grinned.

John smiled as she sipped her coke, ‘see, I’d agree but if you are your memories, right then we would just crumble because we go through so much bad, we’re tougher than what he believes our memories have on us, I’ve seen people I love fade away, lost things, left things behind, made bad decisions, if we are our memories, how do we get through it?’ ‘cos of the good things, like drinks with friends, and holidays, kisses and hugs, family and friends, music and watching movies, we are all evened out’ ‘but the bad things people remember’ ‘that’s true, but the little things add together to defeat the big thing’ tangling fingers with hers, ‘I suppose, you’re not a little thing’ he grinned, ‘neither are you’ kissing her shoulder, she smiled.

Lucy got up brushing her dress, John smiled, ‘you ok?’ ‘just cold I’ll be honest’ ‘oh, darling, you should have said’ removing his jacket, ‘you’ll be cold and you do shows soon, you need to be well’ he smiled, ‘stop caring so much’ he smirked and put it on her shoulders, ‘come on, I’ll take a scenic route home’ getting to his car and driving her around Arizona, ‘I’ll miss you’ she smiled, ‘miss you too, you’ll have to tell me how it goes’ he grinned, ‘I promise, bring you back a souvenir’ ‘if you can bring universal healthcare with you’ laughing together.
-x-

John smiled, ‘thanks for picking me up’ ‘no problem, I don’t mind at all’ ‘good’ kissing her deeply, wrapping an arm round her waist, she smiled, ‘this dress, you look incredible’ she giggled, ‘thank you’ pecking him, the guys looked at them, ‘so you must be Lucy?’ she smiled at him, ‘did someone talk about me?’ ‘maybe a little’ rubbing his neck, ‘you really look like Tom Petty in his heyday, yeah I’m Lucy’ John smiling like a good, ‘I agree with the Petty thing, it’s the hair’ ‘exactly, has it been bad’ Jared laughed, ‘you’re just mentioned every 30 minutes’ ‘aww, sweetie’ he blushed, ‘go away’.

Lucy drove home quietly, ‘well, that was something’ he smiled, ‘I love how original, you’re nothing like I’ve met before, I wish you could see that, but maybe if you did, you’d lose you’ she smiled looking at him in traffic, ‘well, thank you, I love you anyway, you’re just brilliant, and someone who is worth crumbling over with the memories of us’ he looked at her with a smile, ‘I’d never ever let that happen to you’ squeezing her knee, ‘is that ok, I just-’ ‘John, you can put your hands anywhere you like as long as it doesn’t hurt’ he smiled, ‘good, I’d never do that to you’ ‘good’ he grinned, ‘I love you too, it was really surprising and brilliant’ ‘agreed, our anniversary is Valentines, eurgh’ he laughed.

John smiled pulling her close in bed, kissing her softly on the neck and down her arm she smiled her red hair splayed on the pillow, ‘you’re so beautiful’ she smiled, ‘and clever, and thoughtful and caring, I could be here all night’ ‘I need sleep sweetie, so please don’t’ turning over to face him, he grinned as she kissed him softly, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too, darling, it’s Sunday tomorrow right?’ John smiled nodding, ‘good, good, I thought it was Monday, sorry’ he grinned, ‘I have a dog though’ ‘you never said!’ ‘her name is Ruby’ ‘I can have pets here, you should bring her over, we need to get on’ he grinned, ‘very true’.

John smiled as Lucy rubbed the head of Ruby, ‘you’re a good girl really, let’s get you a drink you seem hot’ putting a bowl of water down she lapped it up quickly and wanted more, ‘aww, sorry, I’ve always wanted pets’ John smiled, ‘why didn’t you?’ ‘cos you have to be around for a puppy and teach it and with work and university’ John smiled, ‘well, I’m glad you have us’ kissing her softly, ‘me too right now’.
-x-
6 months later:-
'Lucy!' she smiled walking up to him with Ruby, John getting down to see her, Lucy smiled, 'babe' kissing Lucy softly eventually, 'thank you, how was tour?' he smiled, 'really fucking missed you' she smiled, 'I missed you too, but I know you'd never stop me, and so' he smiled, 'I don't need to worry' holding her waist softly then taking her hand and pulling on Ruby's lead, 'bus' walking there he ran his hands over her softly and gently, 'I missed you' kissing her softly, she smiled, 'I can tell' he grinned, 'good' running his arms round her, 'I will learn to deal with missing you' 'I hope you don't' he grinned.

Lucy smiled getting in their place, he smiled as she took his bag, Ruby curling up and falling asleep, John grabbed Lucy up kissing passionately and heading to bed making love all night, ‘I love you so much’ ‘I love you too’ she murmured straining as she climaxed with him, ‘fuck’ holding her tight, ‘I missed you so much pumpkin’ she smiled, ‘I missed you too’ she sighed breathing him in, he held her close, ‘remember the first time’ ‘how could I forget?’ she grinned, he grinned too as Ruby jumped on their bed, ‘down Ruby’ the dog falling on the bed pouting, ‘fine, Ruby’ John smiled, ‘she’s like that’ ‘bad training’ ‘hey!’ laughing and getting to sleep, John smiled as he was little spoon.

John brought through breakfast as Lucy put on clothes, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ he nodded with a smile as she took a bite on her toast, ‘I was wondering’ ‘oh?’ ‘I don’t know now, I know I’m certain about you but on the answers’ ‘well, it depends on the question’ ‘well’ getting back in bed with her, ‘how do you feel about marriage?’ ‘I think if I feel the right person is with me, like I do now personally’ John smiled, ‘I wouldn’t mind’ John smiled holding her hand, ‘I’d like to ermm, I’d like to marry you, I think me and you are just right and I think we’ll always be like this’ she smiled, ‘so do I, John’ caressing her cheek, he grinned, ‘I think I got through the bad, to get my good love’ she smiled, ‘mutual’ kissing him softly making love.

'So' John grinned, 'we're getting married' Lucy smiled, 'hmm, can we have a small thing' 'darling, you can have whatever you want' 'do you wanna get married in a church?' 'no, it's not a big deal to me' 'good' John smiled, 'so registry office' 'is that ok?' 'whatever you want' she nodded, 'February fifteenth' 'why?' 'cos we'll have an awesome weekend and ermm, I don't want my wedding anniversary on that' he laughed, 'but I want it close' John grinned, 'if you want' 'good, I'm going to have a wife' 'I'm going to have a husband' 'can we write our own vows' 'sure, we're both good with words' he grinned, 'good, I love you' 'I love you too'.

John held her hands, ‘you ok?’ ‘sure, nervous’ he grinned, ‘it’s alright, we’re gonna be alright’ she took a deep breath in a little white dress, ‘I’m glad you got a veil, I think it’s lovely’ she smiled, ‘I know’ he grinned, ‘I wanna spend my life with you still’ ‘I know it seems I’ve made little effort but that’s because you wanted to surf on honeymoon and I thought we’d go to Maui’ he grinned, ‘Waikiki?’ ‘yeah’ ‘babe, perfect’ ‘good’ laughing a little, ‘Mrs O’Callaghan, I love you’.
-x-
3 years later:-

'Darling what's up?' 'trying to decide' bouncing John on her knee and as John bounced Mia the other twin on his knee, 'I've sent my novel off and they're willing to publish and the university have offered a doctorate spot' 'darling, you wanna lecture, take the PhD' 'but I need to tour with it' 'then do both, what university is going to turn down a successful author?' Lucy smiled, 'you have a point' 'exactly' he grinned, 'go with your heart' 'thank you'.

Lucy smiled, ‘so, I took the scholarship’ John grinned, ‘good’ picking her up and putting her on the table, ‘I still love you so much’ brushing her cheek, she smiled, ‘I’m sorry it’s been mad our anniversary this year’ ‘we have kids, darling, don’t worry about it’ ‘thank you’ kissing her softly, ‘I still love you, I loved you the day we met, the way you stood at your door for the ball, I just thought I’ve met the most gorgeous woman in the world and she likes me, I didn’t know how I did so good with my Petty hair and soul patch’ Lucy kissed his neck softly, ‘I met a very handsome man in a really nice car, and you made me realise I am not boring’ ‘far from it’ he grinned.
John grinned as she rested on top of him, ‘never fail to satisfy me’ he grinned, ‘good, cos you’re the only one I have to’ giggling she kissed his hand softly, he grinned tangling fingers, ‘we didn’t change did we?’ ‘no, we were were revolutionary in our reactionism’ giggling, John pulled her into him, ‘my precious’ kissing her head.
they lived happily.