Making Up.

Boring.

'Why are you singing that?' John asked, 'I could rant all night about it' John smiled, 'go ahead' 'well, I was dating this guy, and I thought he was nice right, and to an extent he is, but he expects me to just like him just cos he's there, and then when I told him I'm breaking it off, he doesn't even know why, but he's so boring' John smiled, 'also he does this thing right, if I buy a band shirt for example, he'll buy one too, so we can match, who does that?' John laughed, 'I'm not very naive, I've seen it all before, but if you say you're a nice guy, you probably aren't, because you expect a girl to be with you cos you're nice, I spent a night looking at the sky, I had to drink' John laughing more, she slumped giggling, 'I just want someone who doesn't like a cliché mountain top' 'I'm John I wrote that' 'serious?' 'you didn't know' 'no, my room mate likes your band and this EP has been on a loop' John smiled, 'good taste' 'clearly' laughing.

'So, you're a student?' 'kinda, I work in an outdoor activity centre, so I teach people to canoe, kayak, archery and rock climbing' John smiled, 'I can understand why you would be bored' laughing a little, 'I really wish I could kayak' 'then maybe I need to show you sometime' he grinned, 'I'd like that' laughing a little, 'every saturday I kayak the Gila, but I've done the grand canyon in a team, it was some buzz' 'seriously?' 'indeed, some of those corners are incredible, best trip I did' John smiled, 'you're awesome' 'haha, thanks' 'so, you studied?' 'I did indeed, but I didn't really enjoy it, I'm an outie, and being stuck over books wasn't my idea of fun' 'I dropped out' 'my dad would have killed me' John laughed, 'but he's fine with your occupation?' 'I said it's hard to get a job be glad unlike my siblings I have one' 'why don't they?' 'trust fund babies' 'oh, right' 'not my thing though' 'good'.

'Thanks for the ride' 'no problem' John nodded, 'your number?' Lucy smiled writing it on the top of his car, 'here' he grinned, 'you need to teach me to kayak' 'prepare to get a little wet' he grinned, 'fine' laughing a little, he smiled as she walked inside, 'what a woman' heading home.
-x-
Lucy smiled helping him in, ‘you good?’ sliding into her kayak with ease and turning around to help him, ‘I’m good so what do I do?’ Lucy smiled, ‘right paddle in? Dipping’ ‘like this?’ ‘exactly then do the same on the other side’ Lucy showing him with a demonstration’ John moved forward, ‘excellent, I’ll boat with you until the end, just take it steady ok, be balanced, good posture’ John smiled slowly getting to grips and chatting about music for a bit then movies, ‘so, what’s your favourite meal?’ ‘probably pizza, i’ll be honest, my sister is my best friend and every tuesday we get pizza’ John smiled, ‘I like that, I have two brothers’ Lucy smiled, ‘brother and sister, I’m glad’ ‘oldest’ ‘same’ talking to the edge of the lake, ‘right use one paddle to turn round’ ‘thanks’.

'You fell in at the end' helping him dry off a little, 'thanks' 'no problem, I hope those clothes are ok, your clothes are being laundered' John smiled, 'thanks, do you own this place?' 'I do indeed' 'it's a gorgeous house' 'I saw it coming to school everyday as soon I got my fund I bought the house' 'so it was your dream house' she nodded, 'I wanted a verandah and stuff like that, I like it's southern belleness' John smiled, 'I agree' 'where are these clothes from' 'my brother, he stays sometimes, him and dad don't get on so this is sanctuary' John smiled, 'cool' sitting on her sofa, she passed him a beer sitting with him, 'you love your job don't you?' 'I do, it's freeing' he grinned, 'so, do you boat?' 'I have a boat' he grinned, 'you live in water?' 'haha, I do like it, but me and dad go fishing on the boat, it's a nice boat, it doesn't smell of fish' laughing.

John smiled kissing her softly, ‘I think you’re incredible’ ‘mutual’ brushing lips, pulling her close, he kissed her neck softly, she smiled closing her eyes, falling back on the a sofa, he smiled at her, ‘you have really lovely eyes’ he grinned, ‘your eyes are as blue as the water you love so much’ she smiled as he rested on her kissing he curled into her, Lucy smiled holding him, ‘I’m going to make stir fry, are you good with that?’ John smiled, ‘you can cook too, how about I just marry you?’ she giggled, ‘thanks, to be honest your occupation is perfect to me, it gives me space’ ‘you prefer it?’ ‘I like my freedom and so do you’ he grinned, ‘but sadly not enough to get prenup’ John laughed, ‘whatever you want’ laughing.

Lucy smiled picking up his phone as it rung, ‘hello?’ ‘oh, right girl ermm’ she giggled, ‘it’s all good, what’s up?’ ‘I’m Jared, can you tell him to get to practice?’ ‘absolutely, where are you at, I’ll drive him over’ ‘oh 8123’ ‘I know it, right, I’ll wake him up, he’s on my sofa’ ‘thanks’ shaking him awake and throwing his clothes at him, ‘come on big boy’ he grinned getting in her jeep, ‘seriously?’ ‘I like off roading, and you need to in Arizona’ ‘bad for the environment’ ‘I suspect I’m off setting cos my house is run on solar power’ looking at her roof, ‘also, this car is adapted for more environmentally gases, so don’t worry’ he smiled, ‘of course’ ‘when you have cash you can afford to be green, which is kinda tragic’ John smiled, ‘you have a good head on your shoulders’ ‘thanks’.

'So, who are you?' 'Lucy's my girlfriend' Jared smiled, 'on the sofa?' 'second date, he's getting ahead of himself' Jared laughed, 'what happened?' 'I took him kayaking, it's part of my job and he fell in and so yeah, I was closest' Jared grinned, 'so are you sticking to land now John' 'Merida over there, you're going bowling' Lucy chuckled, 'sounds fine, you landlubber, I shall get going' 'when do you work?' 'not the weekends?' 'then stay?' 'do you mind?' asking the others, 'nope' 'ok then' sitting on the bar, she watched them practice, 'kinda remind me of The Beatles in how you progress musically through the last near decade' Pat smiled, 'I like your girlfriend' John laughed, 'me too' 'nothing against the Rolling Stones, my grandparents are English, my grandad nearly got killed by Stones throwing a television out of their apartment window' John smirked, 'serious?' 'indeed' laughing.
-x-

John sat in her garden, ‘you should have a dog?’ ‘haha, do you?’ ‘yes, her name’s Ruby, well she’s the family dog, but you know’ ‘what would you call a dog? Tom?’ John laughed, ‘I don’t know but I think you’re a dog person’ ‘I don’t know, never had a pet’ ‘what?’ ‘well, no but I’d like a pond, but it doesn’t seem fair on the fish so’ ‘you should get a dog’ ‘hmm’ John smiled sipping his drink, ‘I’ll drop in at the rescue centre see if they have a nice one’ ‘cool, your garden is odd’ ‘I like to grow things so a good chunk is the green house, got s some beautiful strawberries growing right now, gotta pick them actually, ermm, I have lots of autumn vegetables’ John smiled, ‘grow orchids’ ‘home is shelter from the rain for you isn’t it?’ ‘I like rain’ laughing a little, ‘I can’t wait to have a family to share all that with’ he grinned, ‘good’.

'I'm surprised you want a family of your own' 'I do, I know it's weird, but my mum was always very homely and stuff, I don't know' John smiled, 'you seem quite a free person' 'I think living in Arizona there is that natural mentality, personally I really like some traditions' he grinned, 'are you a feminist' 'absolutely' he smiled, 'but the point of feminism is to allow women choice, to live the lives they want so if a women wants a career that's cool but also if a woman wants to take care of her family that's cool too, I admire my mum for that' 'so you feel like you're doing something good' 'I do indeed, I think it will be a while before all that, I have a lot to do, but there will be a point when I'm ready for that' 'agreed' 'you haven't reach your peak yet, Mr O'Callaghan, you have a lot to do' he grinned, 'glad you think so'.

'Are you staying?' 'I am if that's ok with you' 'it's perfectly fine with me' he grinned kissing her deeply, holding her cheek softly he pushed her on the sofa giggling, 'you good with this, don't wanna-' 'thanks, I'm good' 'good' making love on her sofa, she smiled, 'I'm glad we're having fu but this is a leather sofa and I'm sort of stuck to it' John laughed picking her up gently, 'good' 'where's your room' 'it's upstairs' 'of course it is' picking her up bridal style and heading up the stairs, 'never climbed these naked' 'you didn't climb them, I did' 'you have great arms, you have great everything' 'you have tattoos, Miss Caswell' 'you're only young once' 'hmm, damn' staying in bed.
-x-
6 months later:-

'Kids, right to canoe you need to make this motion ok?' it was mid summer and the Arizona heat was insane, the smell of coconut knocking her out from her sun lotion as she was ginger she was sensitive to the heat, 'so, let's go' taking the group from the back she helped kids back in their boats after a long day in the water, she smiled helping them back on land, 'good job everyone' John smiled waiting for her, 'it's now September, it's insane heat' 'I know' 'you smell of coconut' 'I know' he grinned laughing a little, 'so good day?' 'excellent day' he grinned, 'good, I really need to learn to sail with you' 'haha, maybe, that might be fun' he grinned, 'wanna spend the weekend on your boat?' 'god that would be fun' he grinned.

John smiled passing her a drink on her boat, ‘so, you good with me living with you, I don’t know’ ‘I haven’t emasculated you have I?’ ‘no, Lucy, we’re not like that’ ‘I’m glad, you’re the first person I ever told the truth to about it, felt like I could trust you’ he smiled, ‘I’m glad’ taking her hand, Tommy wandered around the boat, ‘is he ok with water?’ ‘he’s great with water, he can swim’ ‘awesome’ John smiled, ‘so, what’s up?’ ‘nothing, I just don’t want you to feel like you do it all’ she smiled, ‘we split bills, we’re fine, I’m still in love with you John, you are perfect to me’ he grinned, ‘good, I’m in love with you too, I just-’ ‘fine, fine’ he smiled, ‘I mean you want a family you can be responsible for their college funds’ John laughed, ‘is that a promise’ ‘absolutely’ laughing a little, ‘just don’t worry, money isn’t a thing to me, it’s about you’ he grinned ‘good’.

Lucy drow them out to the cove and dropped anchor, John smiled as he joined her in bed, pulling her close, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ kissing her shoulder softly, ‘so glad we met, I’m not boring am I’ ‘no John, and you don’t buy band merch which is good that matches’ John laughed, ‘excellent’ giggling, ‘I find you fascinating, I think I always will’ he grinned, ‘so would you marry me now?’ she smiled caressing his cheek, ‘if you feel ready for that, absolutely’ he grinned, ‘good’ kissing her softly, ‘will we make the boat rock?’ ‘definitely’ laughing a little making love.

John smiled watching her swim in the cove and getting back on board sitting next to him she grabbed a towel, ‘you ok?’ ‘I’m fine’ he grinned laying back on deck, ‘good’ ‘is this legal?’ ‘not sure’ laughing a little, ‘but I think it’s fine’ ‘good’ John nodded, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ kissing her softly, ‘wanna find somewhere legal?’ ‘boring’ laughing and dressing quickly she drove to the beach park, parking up, he grinned as she wandered off to log back in, she came back, ‘all good’ ‘all good’ Lucy smiled wandering to the kitchen making pancakes, John took her waist gently, she smiled, ‘how long have we got together?’ ‘oh, about a week’ ‘ok’ John smiled, ‘you can start planning’ ‘indeed’ he grinned.

John smiled sliding a ring on her finger, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ he grinned, ‘so, I’m off to record’ ‘I know’ he smiled, ‘thank you for saying yes’ ‘no need, you make me happy, I’m sure you’ll continue to’ he grinned, ‘right, yes’ he smiled kissing her softly, ‘I can’t wait to find out the plans’ ‘mutual’ laughing a little, she saw him go, ‘what are you up to?’ ‘me and Lucy, engaged’ Jared grinned, ‘that’s amazing, congratulations’ ‘they are made for one another, it’s kinda sickening’ laughing, John smiled, ‘Lucy’s house is awesome too’ laughing a little, ‘so, when?’ ‘she’s sorting it out, about a year probably’ ‘good, you need more time’ ‘exactly’ John smiled.
-x-
4 years later:-
John grinned coming in watching the twins help Lucy, ‘kids, right, you need to do this with the carrots ok, take the top and twist and pull’ Lily falling over doing so, ‘mum! got my first carrot’ ‘well done princess’ John smiled heading into the garden, ‘I didn’t fall over I am strongerer’ waving the carrot like a trophy in the air, ‘you are so like your dad’ John laughed, Lucy smiled, ‘oh, hello’ John smiled, ‘are you helping to make our dinner?’ ‘mum is their a chocolate tree’ ‘no darling’ ‘that’s not fair’ ‘their beans’ ‘can we grow them’ ‘no darling, and they won’t be nice chocolate’ ‘that’s not right’ ‘agreed’ laughing a little, ‘come on, let’s get these carrots up’ ‘ok, mum’ John smiled, ‘can I help?’ ‘no!’ ‘sorry’ laughing.

Lucy smiled serving dinner, ‘there you go’ eating food, ‘carrots can help you see better in the dark’ ‘is that true?’ ‘I don’t know but why risk it?’ John laughed, ‘so, how are my lovely family?’ ‘mum bought me a Uke, it’s like a mini guitar’ ‘he’s rubbish at it’ ‘I am not’ John jr replied, ‘you are, you can’t make a melody at all’ John grinned, ‘don’t be cruel to your brother he’s trying’ ‘I’m sorry daddy, but he keeps me awake’ ‘do not’ ‘you do’ ‘I’ve told you Johnny, only during the day and he’s going to classes Lily, he’s going to get better’ ‘than I’m learning trumpet, it’s louder’ John laughed, ‘I like that’ ‘don’t you dare like that’ John smirked, ‘I apologise, Lucy’ she smiled, ‘good’.

John held Lucy in bed after getting the kids to sleep, ‘love parenting still?’ ‘I do actually’ he grinned, ‘what do you do to stop going crazy’ ‘I get them outdoors a lot and I still work at the activity center, they now have a creche, and I’m teaching them to arch, that’s been fun’ he grinned, ‘good, I just think all this at home time might drive you mad’ she smiled, ‘I’m kept busy John and I like taking them out and stuff, so much to see in Arizona and get them to do, the zipline, I see John looking at that wanting to do it’ ‘why can’t he?’ ‘too short’ laughing, ‘but really, it’s what I wanted’ ‘good’ John nodded, ‘I’m glad you’re happy’ ‘are you?’ ‘how can I not be?’ giggling, falling asleep happy.

they lived happily.