Making Up.

Holiday Romance.

'I have no idea where I am' 'you ok, darling?' 'I'm kinda lost, I'm on holiday here and all the planned excursions finished yesterday, and I thought be brave and explore the terrain and it's worked to my disadvantage' 'to Arizona, odd choice?' 'well, I won a competition, it's not ideal, I'm ginger and it's a desert' John chuckled, 'my best friend is a redhead, I get that, turns into a nice shade of red in the sun' 'exactly my problem, and the sun cream seems to attract wasps, so I am in a rock and hard place' John smiled, 'where do you wanna go, I'm John' 'Lucy' 'what do you do in England?' 'I just graduated there, I work in a school and doing a masters' 'that's cool, do you wanna work with children' 'I wanna do a PhD, to be honest' John smiled, 'you should consider not doing it in England?' 'Might be an idea, not sure where though' laughing a little, 'what do you do John?' 'Oh, I'm in a band' 'really?' 'Yes, really' 'that's awesome' 'where do you come from in England?' 'Norwich?' 'Played there twice' 'no' 'yes' 'I don't believe you' 'I have, it's got a castle, and a cathedral, played the Waterfront' 'damn' he laughed.

'So what's it called if you don't mind me asking with all this globetrotting?' John laughed, 'well, it's called The Maine' 'that's rather awkward' 'why?' 'My little sister, big fan, saw you play the waterfront, and is going to see you in April support Deaf Havana?' 'Indeed, that's us' 'I'm sorry' 'don't be' he grinned, 'she's not a crazy poster kind of girl you see?' John laughed, 'it's fine' 'so, what would you recommend to do here?' 'That’s it?' 'If you prick us, do we not bleed?' 'Are you quoting me or Shakespeare?' 'Shakespeare, if you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?' 'that's the whole quote' 'I like to read' he grinned, 'it's really attractive' 'then there's much better class of man in Arizona, though the bolo thing is a bit weird' John laughed, 'I am bolo free' laughing, 'may I show you around Lucy' 'please, Lu it's fine' 'one letter' 'I hate Vicky though' 'hmm, I see your perspective' laughing, as she googled him.

John smiled as her phone went off, ‘bake a cake boy?’ John asked, ‘hehe, it’s a Hoodie Allen song, my sister is a catering student’ John laughed as she picked up, ‘hello?’ talking for a bit, she mouthed an apology in what-a-burger, ‘alright, well thankfully, I’ve met someone who seems to know the geography, ok, well see you in 4 days’ finishing up, ‘sorry’ ‘no need’ ‘sisters’ laughing, ‘can I buy you dinner?’ ‘sure, whatever you’re having’ he smiled, ‘ok’ heading off, a group of people coming in and talking to him, pointing at her, ‘hello, you’re with John’ ‘yeah, kinda, I’m Victoria’ ‘Brian, you’re hot’ the dark haired girl shaking her head, ‘well, that’s just how Arizona works’ the guy behind him laughing, ‘I think we had a crossed wire’ ‘I do apologise’ laughing a little, ‘so you look like Doctor Who?’ the girl laughing hard, ‘why thank you, do you watch, you could be my Amy Pond’ ‘I’m here on holiday, so unless you got a tardis, I don’t think that’s possible, sweetie’ John coming back, ‘he’s hitting on her and failing’ ‘seriously Brian’ ‘what?’ ‘Shameless’.

John smiled helping her back to her hotel, ‘thank you’ ‘would you like me to help for the week?’ ‘I don’t wanna be a burden’ ‘well, I just don’t think this is some place good to get lost, a lot looks the same’ she laughed a little, ‘well, sure, tomorrow is some spa day thing, but other than that, I would like that’ John smiled, ‘ok’ ‘good, ermm, I’ll see you then’ he grinned, ‘you are extremely beautiful, I wanted you to know, I mean’ she smiled, ‘thank you, it’s very kind of you’ kissing his cheek, he grinned, ‘there’s a big gulf between beautiful and hot’ she murmured, ‘these things make a difference’ turning around and heading inside, getting to know her.

-x-

John sighed, ‘what is up with you?’ ‘I met this girl and she lives in Norwich, can this plane move quicker?’ John sighed trying to get comfortable, Jared nodded, ‘Victoria’ ‘Lucy, she hates that’ Jared smiled, ‘so you like her a lot?’ ‘I do’ ‘that’s long distance’ ‘I’ve done my research’ John grinned, ‘she’s doing a masters and if you’re highly educated you can be a citizen in nine months, also if we’re good I can marry her and it’s pretty much done’ Jared looked at them, ‘do you know what you’re saying’ ‘shut up’ Jared smiled, ‘fine, what’s the plan?’ ‘well, she said it was the Easter holidays, kinda hoped she might come with us’ Jared smiled, ‘fine with me, I wanna know this woman’ John grinned me too, Skype is not enough and my camera is poor’ laughing a little.

Lucy smiled meeting him in Norwich, ‘hey, welcome back’ John hugged her tight, she chuckled a little, hugging him back, she snuggled into him, he grinned, ‘what the fuck?’ her sister asked, Gare laughed, ‘you don’t know?’ ‘No?’ ‘They met when she was on holiday’ ‘he was the guy who helped you wasn’t he?’ ‘Possibly?’ Lucy replied, John chuckling, ‘I don’t wanna let go’ ‘kinda mutual, but I have to calm my sister down’ John laughed, ‘and you do have to play’ ‘boring’ laughing, letting go, ‘Lucy, you are something else’ ‘I’ll take care of your sister, Lucy’ Kenny smiled, ‘follow me’ ‘ok’ passing them passes, ‘I kinda hoped you’d come with me, you said it was the holidays’ ‘it is’ she nodded, ‘so will you?’ ‘Sure, I will you better share your wardrobe, cos I’ve not prepared’ ‘absolutely’ laughing a little, ‘we’ll go shopping promise in London’ laughing.

John grinned at her as Rachel and her sat backstage, ‘I can’t believe you’ ‘me neither quite yet’ Lucy replied quietly, as they came off stage after their set, ‘so, come on where are we going in Norwich after meeting fans?’ John asked, ‘there’s some nice bars and stuff, depends what you want?’ ‘good music’ ‘you’re at the UEA, you are the good music’ Rachel replied, ‘Kenny, she’s sassier than you’ Rachel rolled her eyes, ‘there’s some things now that are fine on men, but not cool on girls’ Lucy told Rachel, ‘don’t worry about it’ John nodded, ‘so true’ laughing a little, ‘I’m going to see her back, ok, I’ll call you a cab’ ‘it’s a long journey’ ‘I want you home safe’ John smiled as she sorted it and walked with him to the bus, ‘so, teach me stuff that will be useful, cos I’m not staying, If I’m not useful’ John grinned sitting next to her, ‘you can do this’ teaching her technical stuff.

Standing in an airport terminal John hugged her, ‘I’m sorry I’m leaving’ ‘dude, you’re off to Brazil and doing amazing things, I am not sorry’ laughing a little, ‘you’ll be ok’ John kissed her softly, as the guys went ooh, she shook her head, ‘I need to see you again soon’ ‘well, I have the summer holidays, if we can collaborate, and I do some more experience somehow, can I do Warped with you, I’ll pay for myself’ John grinned, ‘absolutely’ clashing lips, he held her cheek, ‘classic John move’ laughing a little, ‘come on, they’re going to rip you to pieces for this, take care and Skype, I wanna be sick of your grainy face by June’ he grinned, ‘will do, and I’ll help you’ll be over in America again’ she smiled, ‘ok’.

-x-

Lucy tied her 8123 shirt up at front, John smiled slapping her butt, she shook her head, ‘don’t do that again’ ‘promise’ he grinned, ‘without my consent at least’ the girls giggled in the tent, ‘Victoria, our merch manager, she’s my girlfriend too, but she’s better at management’ ‘thanks’ laughing, ‘your girlfriend is English?’ ‘it’s kinda long distance’ John smiled, ‘but it’s worth it’ ‘glad you think so’ Lucy smiled, ‘now girls what can I do for you’ selling shirts to them, John smiled, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ taking her hand, ‘I know we should know one another better, but I tripped and fell’ she smiled, ‘well, I did doubt your music taste but you’ve won me over, Wildflowers is a perfect album’ John laughed, ‘glad you think so’ talking about music, ‘would you leave England?’ ‘For the right person’ he grinned, ‘good’.

Lucy got back on her feet and worked harder than she did in the school back home, ‘you work so hard, you considering doing this as a profession?’ ‘No, I’m doing hopefully a PhD in Counselling and Psychotherapy, but it is fun’ Max smiled, ‘so, you and John how long has it been?’ ‘oh, about 6 months now, almost’ ‘awesome, that’s awesome’ she nodded, ‘this tour is amazing, actually, so much talent in the same place, never seen anything like it, except Slam Dunk I guess’ ‘I have an idea what you might end up doing?’ ‘What?’ ‘Europe, get them promoted there’ ‘my sister was saying they’ve never done Scandinavia, which I think would be beneficial to them’ ‘have you seen other bands?’ ‘We Are The In Crowd, The Summer Set and a few others, I like my music light’ laughing a little, ‘that would be a good tour right, those three’ ‘it’s possible’ ‘they could do a rotating headline set?’ ‘That sounds awesome’ laughing, ‘I’m going to find out if that’s possible’ Max going off to make calls.

John held her on his bunk, their bunk really, ‘so, you good?’ ‘Hmm, yes, much better’ as John trailed his fingers softly, ‘you know we still haven’t you know?’ ‘it’s just been difficult with the whole lack of privacy to consummate’ John chuckled, ‘we’re all alone, I thought maybe, I don’t wanna’ ‘no, it’s fine’ kissing passionately, John pulled her shirt off, removing his, John hooking her shorts, ‘I’ve never done this before’ she murmured, ‘not out of want’ John laughed, ‘it’s ok, we’ll take it slow, they’re at some party’ ‘ok’ kissing again, making love, ‘is that ok?’ ‘That’s great seriously’ he grinned making love, ‘we need more space’ ‘well, when we live together, we’ll have a California king bed’ she smiled snuggling into him, he grinned, ‘fine by me’ John kissing her head.

John smiled, ‘you’ll have to come back and do that tour, you know?’ seeing the plan for a The Summer Set and We Are The In Crowd, ‘sure, I mean there will be two other women’ John grinned as she had her backpack packed, ‘I can’t believe for a girl how much you travelled light?’ ‘I didn’t need to care about my looks, cos the heat would make me a mess and I’m comfortable in my skin, he seems to be fine with it’ ‘I told you the day we met, you’re beautiful’ ‘exactly, so has anything changed’ ‘no’ ‘see, no big deal, so ermm, yeah’ ‘will we see you for that tour?’ ‘My masters is mainly online, I can probably do it maybe for a couple of weeks’ ‘and then what?’ ‘I think I have some paperwork to begin to fill in’ John grinned.

-x-

Six months later:-

'How long now?' 'it's between now and three months, John' 'I should have just asked you to marry me, I mean for god's sake, it would have been quicker and inevitable' she smiled, 'you'd marry me?' sitting in her Norwich bedroom, 'oh, well yeah, I kinda thought I'd ask you when you got to America, cos I have a home and I know you have your PhD place don't you at ASU?' 'Phoenix in Psychotherapy' 'awesome' John grinned, 'so, you'll be ok?' 'I will be' 'and I thought maybe that would be a good time, I mean it's been a year today darling' she nodded, 'I know, I miss you so much, you would not believe' 'what do you miss?' 'the feeling of your skin on mine wrapped up in your arms, and the colour of your eyes looking in mine, and those rough fingers, and that's just the anatomy' he grinned, 'the way you look at me when I say something you agree with, the grin when you think dirty things' giving a thorough list, 'you?' John grinned, 'thought you'd never ask'.

Lucy looked at the post, Rachel looked at her, and ‘you’re just leaving me?’ ‘No, you’re welcome there any time, when nan you know, you’re moving over, I just know where I need to be, and that’s with him’ ‘you better come back with them on tour’ ‘definitely, but I have my green card’ she grinned, ‘I’m now able to go to America and live’ her nan shaking her head, ‘you’re making a mistake’ ‘I’m not, I know I’m not’ Rachel smiled, ‘I agree, but please help me come over’ ‘I promise’ Lucy hugged her tight, ‘I have to pack everything I can now’ ‘I will come and help you’ ‘thank you’ getting the biggest suitcase from the loft she packed everything she needed, all the books she loved everything she could possibly need in America, ‘you’ll be ok, you know, Lucy?’ ‘Thanks, when Nan goes, come join me, I think Kenny likes you, you’ll be fine’ Rachel smiled, ‘I’m eighteen now, I guess I can now’ laughing a little.

John grinned hearing the news, ‘so, when can I expect you?’ ‘I’ve given my notice in for the summer and my Nan isn’t bothered for rent, so I can get the money for the one way flight by June?’ ‘June, can I help?’ ‘Sure, but I don’t wanna-’ ‘Lucy, you’re my fiancée’ Rachel gasped, ‘really?’ ‘You’ll have to come to America, you’re my maid of honour’ she grinned, ‘is Rachel with you?’ ‘hmm’ ‘I feel bad now, cos I’m rushing you over and stuff’ ‘don’t be, I’ve got loose ends hanging, right now, give me some time, you’ve got me for life anyway Johnny’ he grinned, Rachel smiled, ‘I mean you wrote an album about my sister’ John grinned, ‘well, she’s the most amazing woman I’ve ever met’.

Lucy smiled tweeting, ‘making my way to my home.’ John grinned as she came through the terminal hours after her tweet, hugging her tight, ‘I’m in love with you’ ‘I’m in love with you too’ kissing passionately, someone took a picture, ‘sorry, that was an incredible moment’ John grinned, ‘we’ve had a long distance relationship for fifteen months, and we’re now getting married, well soon, hopefully’ Lucy smiled, ‘you come from England’ ‘we met when I was on holiday in Phoenix I got lost and found’ John smiled, ‘so lucky’ ‘you two are amazing, can I put it on Tumblr’ ‘put it where you like’ laughing a little.

John smiled as she curled into him, ‘finally in your California king bed’ ‘ours baby’ ‘ours’.

-x-

3 years later:-

Rachel smiled sitting with Kenny, as Lucy rested Johnny Jr on her lap, bouncing softly, ‘how are you two then?’ ‘good, really good, I didn’t think it would be possible, but all good’ Rachel smiled, ‘men neither’ taking his hand with a smile, John nodded with a smile, ‘I’m glad you could make it over’ ‘well, my brother keeps an eye on my nan with his wife and so I just felt like I needed a change of scenery’ Lucy grinned, ‘I know Victoria is so glad that you could come across especially now we’ve got our own family’ talking over food, ‘are you two still really good?’ ‘I like to think so’ John taking her hand, Lucy smiled squeezing softly.

John looked at her, ‘I’m sorry we’re arguing so much’ ‘I’m just so tired, John, this kid is giving me so little sleep, and it makes me irritable, and I take it out on you and it’s not fair’ John smiled, ‘and I’m away so much and I should be taking care of you, you’re my wife, and yes, you’re a doctor but that’s completely unacceptable, I should take care of him more, when he’s older and can walk, I will take him with me’ John nodded, ‘but I don’t know what to do in the meantime’ John sighed, ‘I’m in love with you’ ‘I’m in love with you too, it’s not you, John, darling’ he grinned, ‘it’s me, I just need some sleep’ as John cried, ‘I’ll go baby’ ‘thank you’ ‘no problem, you’re the one with the proper job’ laughing.

Lucy got in, ‘I took John to the doctors to see what we can do about the crying’ ‘oh, right?’ ‘he has colic, or something, it’s kinda normal, so I’m hoping the meds will help, also massaging his back helps, hence the books for us’ ‘try everything’ laughing a little, ‘I want you to be happy’ ‘I know, mutual, I’m sorry’ ‘you have nothing to apologise for, these things happen, maybe the next one if you want another of course, we can get one that’s quiet’ John smiled, ‘I’m sure we’ll have another when John can walk and talk, I want him to be independent’ ‘that makes sense’ ‘good’ kissing him, ‘maybe in school too, he’s one’ ‘that’s true, I love you John, don’t you worry’ ‘we’ll be ok’ he grinned.

They lived happily.