Making Up.

Homesickness.

'New round here?' 'yeah' rubbing her neck, 'I was told to come to this party' John smiled, 'where are you from?' 'isn't it obvious, England?' he grinned, 'sorry, I thought' 'where ever Dartmouth is, I suppose' 'New Hampshire' 'sounds legit, did Music' he smiled, 'you went to an Ivy League to study music?' 'my dad was trolling me, what can a girl do?' he grinned, 'I need a drink' 'me too' he followed her, passing him a beer, 'so, who are you?' 'I'm John' 'I'm Lucy' she rolled her eyes, 'but Gu preferred' he grinned, 'what do you do now?' 'I intern at a management company from Monday, 8123 or something, I'm no expert, though I am told they are rather good' 'damn right'.

Lucy sat at her desk, she was doing Europe things apparently, she sae him come in, ‘Hey Lucy’ ‘John, what are you doing here?’ ‘I’m in a band called The Maine’ she hit head on the table, he laughed, ‘its cool’ he smiled, ‘you’re new, right?’ ‘Completely, I just got here from England, it was my second day at that party’ he sat down, ‘are you American?’ ‘I was born at Disneyland’ ‘sorry’ ‘my mum gave birth at Disneyland, my middle name is Ariel, she called the ambulance’ ‘you shit me’ ‘I shit you not’ ‘it is’ Tim grinned, ‘you good Lucy?’ ‘fine, getting acquainted’ ‘good’.

'Have you heard anything?' 'I have, I bought everything on iTunes yesterday?' 'Rich kid?' 'not really, dad's a banker, my mother is a painter, dad works at the Cooperative Bank, which is completely ethical, so he's not a dick' he grinned, 'but your dad made you do college' 'I know it's hearts in the right place, and it's led me here right, so I'm not too bothered' John smiled, 'you make an excellent point' 'thanks, Tim was telling me, you're not a relationships person, but I could do with a friend' 'charming, sure, I'll oblige' he grinned.
’..not a relationships person?’ Jared laughed, ‘she’s got a point’ ‘that hurt, but she needs a friend in Arizona, so I shall oblige’ Jared smiled, ‘has she seen us live, maybe you should invite her to practice, Tim would be ok with it’ ‘sure’.
-x-
'Thanks for inviting me?' kicking the door closed, John smiled, 'no problem' as she rested her Mac on her lap, 'sorry, I got to keep working, got some logistics for Europe to do' 'no problem' they smiled, heading in to practice, 'do you not do any of the early stuff?' 'it's not owned by us?' 'really, I'll make a note to change that' John looked at her, 'are you mad?' 'sweetie, the British invented contract law, I'm good' he laughed, 'fine' practicing Good Love, 'you much of a Death Cab fan?' Jared smirked, 'Trans-' 'Atlanticsm, I know, it's my favourite song right now, I'm being a little transatlantic' he smiled.
'She knows you better than you do' Lucy smiled, 'do any of you guys like Wilco?' she asked, 'I just got given tickets' 'how?' looking at her, 'it's the Nile though, no drinking, Darthmouthians get everywhere' 'I'm a fan' 'me too' 'they're playing tomorrow night, give me your names put you on the guest list' they smiled, 'how do you do that?' 'What?' 'That thing you do' 'I just exist mate, now who's down?' everyone raising their hand. 'Call it returning the favour' she smiled, they laughed.

John tagged along; Lucy sung along to mainly the old songs, he smiled, ‘you like the old stuff?’ ‘I like the stuff up to and including Sky Blue Sky’ he smiled, ‘hipster’ ‘shut up’ poking him in the ribs, ‘dance with me?’ ‘if I must, I can’t dance to save my life, I will be shot dead if you make me waltz’ he grinned, ‘fine, just a simple sway’ ‘fine’ taking his hand, he placed them around his neck, resting her head on his chest he smiled resting his arms round his waist, ‘what did 8123 do to deserve you?’ she chuckled, ‘I got lucky my friend’ he smiled, ‘it did’.
'You don't look like friends' 'doesn't feel like, it's cruel' John sighed, 'so, she friend zoned you' 'it definitely feels like it, but I am damn pleased about seeing this band' Jared laughed, 'Hotel Arizona was awesome' they laughed, 'yeah, I had no idea they were playing' 'how did she?' 'her class mate is an intern at their label apparently' John smiled, 'Transatlanticism' 'she needs to be so much closer, she's just keeps backing off'.
-x-

'John, it's gone all Perfect blue buildings' he smiled, 'darling you ok?' 'I miss home' she sobbed, 'I didn't know anyone else to call' 'it's ok, it's 4:30' 'on a Tuesday' he grinned, 'it is indeed, I'll be right over' driving over to her place, she was crying quite heavily, he held near the door, 'hey, what do you miss?' 'in my hometown, there was a castle, and my dad would take me to her roof..' talking about her life, he just held her, 'are you going to feel like this a lot' 'I'm sorry, it's just the first birthday I miss today' 'oh, darling' snuggling into her hair, 'it's ok, darling, it's ok' holding her close.

'I'm sorry for waking you up' 'you used a Counting Crows reference' 'I knew you would know, cos Love & Drugs' he smiled, 'you like them too huh?' 'I try and like good music' he grinned, 'me too' 'I'm sorry, I better get to work, you can sleep here if you want, and stuff, take anything you want from the fridge' he smiled kissing her head, 'take care, have you got cash for tea?' 'yeah, I keep a stash in the office' he laughed, 'it's not weed' 'yet it makes me happy' he laughed, 'excuse me while I touch the sky' 'Hendrix' 'my Nan saw him live' he grinned, 'awesome' 'with The Move, you know, ELO?' 'Mr Blue Sky' 'oh, you're good' he grinned.

John smiled at her, ‘you have an odd but good fridge?’ ‘Lime Millers?’ ‘Yeah’ ‘Kenny has this friend Stephen, he likes them, he seemed to be a bit odd, apparently he doesn’t like people’ John laughed, ‘do you know the bands round here?’ ‘nope, well, sort of, 8123’ he laughed, ‘come on you need educating over food’ ‘I can’t working lunch’ ‘then I’ll talk at you’ ‘you’re my new best friend, this is is your job’ he grinned, ‘indeed’ they giggled talking.

'So, Stephen is in The Summer Set, the one that plays Chelsea' 'but that's not what to say' John nodded, 'ermm, do say Legendary is awesome, don't say Chelsea are her and Brian meant to be' she laughed, 'you're like a Guardian, it's a British Newspaper, they do guides like you' 'I like that, The Guardian' 'it's your superhero name' 'what's my power' 'you kill people with amazing music, you pop their ear drums' he laughed, 'amazing' 'your weapon the guitar of Mjolnir' 'what the fuck are you talking about?' 'John's superpowers' 'right' Tim smirked, laughing.
-x-
'Lucy, I'm fucking stuck' 'where are you?' 'Just outside Mesa-' 'I'll be right there' jumping in her corvette, 'I'm looking for you, what's around you?' 'Nothing, it's a fucking desert' 'sorry' looking around she found him by chance, she tooted, he grinned, 'you saved me?' 'the Guardian needed to be saved' 'I'm sorry, I didn't have my Guitar Of Mjolnir with me' she laughed, 'come on mate, get in' he grinned, 'you are amazing Mr O'Callaghan, I brought you this, you sounded panicked' passing him a Jack Daniels mini, he laughed, 'thanks I'm not an alcoholic' 'it's not me love you need to reassure' he laughed, pouring it down.

'Lucy' 'hmm?' setting him up a bed, 'can you stay with me on the sofa' 'are you ok?' 'I just I would feel better' 'sure, darling' sitting down with him, she threw blankets round them, pulling him on to her chest, he grinned, 'John' poking him, 'what?' she played with his hair, 'nothing' 'ok' falling asleep on her lap, glad it was a Saturday night, she made waffles in the morning, 'Gare' 'sweetie' he smiled, 'I made you waffles' 'thanks' eating together, 'would you be my girlfriend, at all?' 'I like to pretend in my head I am, after you came saved me' she blushed, he took her hand, 'I love you Lucy, I don't know' he looked at his breakfast, 'I love you too'.

John kissed her softly, ‘I know it’s December 1st’ ‘and you’re not in a foreign state-’ ‘but I am running late, far too late babe’ kissing her again, ‘John-’ she murmured, ‘I’ve never done it-’ she blushed, ‘baby, I haven’t made love to anyone either’ brushing his lips to her forehead, ‘it’s just I didn’t think you would want to commit, Tim said-’ ‘I fucking hate Tim’ she laughed, ‘I’m sorry’ he grinned, kissing her again, ‘would you like to?’ ‘I would, just take it slow?’ ‘Babe, there’s no other option’ picking her up and heading for bed.
-x-
A few months later:-
John laughed as she was on his back, giggling, ‘I love you!’ ‘I love you too, Lucy’ ‘so what is the plan?’ ‘You’ll see babe!’ ‘have you got me a mini John Green to spout inspirational quotes’ ‘isn’t one John enough’ ‘you make a good point’ kissing behind his ear, he shivered, ‘don’t’ she giggled, ‘sorry babe’ he grinned, ‘you’re still my best friend’ ‘hmm, and Tim is keeping you on thank god’ she smiled, ‘indeed, thank something that I get to keep planning the reasons you stay away from me’ John smiled, ‘oh, that’s cruel’ ‘such sweet sorrow’ he grinned, ‘good’.

'I thought-' looking at an apartment, 'this could be out new home' she smiled, 'seriously?' 'I think it works on our budgets and has everything you like, big kitchen' passing her the key, 'it has rooms, 3 to be exact' 'John is the rental' 'I , put the first payment of the mortgage down' she looked at him, 'you got a mortgage out?' 'I did research, I know you're good with numbers, but you actually did it' 'how, when?' 'Remember when I said my friend needed a hand' 'this is amazing' going inside, 'this is our home?' 'as long as I'm successful' she hugged him tight, 'perfect timing' 'how?' 'This' passing him a letter.

'Lucy, when you said top of your list' 'it took 6 months, but it's every song from Warner' 'well, holy' hugging her tight, 'we'll have a family and everything, in here' she chewed her lip, 'I'm in love with you, you think we will' 'Lucy, you're the only person I've ever been in love with' she smiled, 'mutual, it's just amazing' crying into him, 'the mortgage, was 100000, for this, we can be together' 'I love you so much' 'wanna move in?' she looked at him, 'you must tell me Johnny how much half the mortgage is' he smiled, 'I will'.

'Daddy' 'sweetie' he grinned, 'me and my boyfriend have our own house in Arizona!' 'You’re staying there?' 'I am, it's beautiful dad, you should see it' he grinned, 'can we stay with you?' 'of course, when we've done the furnishing the house' 'what's it like?' 'it's a 3 bedroom house in Mesa' 'oh, who's idea?' 'his, but I did the maths' he grinned, 'how?' 'oh, he said it was for someone else, and it was for us, he did good, John did' 'how long have you been together?' '6 month’s friends, 3 together, we're solid though' 'I trust you' she smiled, 'what does he do?' 'He’s in one of the bands' 'oh, a musician' John smiled.
'So, what did your dad think?' she smiled, 'he's happy for us, but would you mind if he paid some of it, he said it's like a housewarming gift to both of us' holding his waist, 'it's fine babe' 'good' kissing his nose, 'we're going to have our family in here, Lucy' she smiled, 'we are' they giggled, 'I think we should go to my place, and use my bed in that bedroom for the last time' 'I love you' 'I love you too'.
-x-
A year later:-

'It's just a rough patch, we'll get through, the thing is, the more miserable it gets, the more I wanna go get a hug off my mum' Tim smiled, 'and, Jenny is lovely but she takes his side' Tim nodded, 'I suspect you would' 'if he's being a dick, no I won't' she began to cry, 'I'm sorry' 'what's going on' hugging her tight, 'he just won't talk to me, we used to talk for hours, and he keeps disappearing at weird times and he spent a lot on money we saved for our future, and he doesn't tell me what he spent it on' 'it's ok, you think John's paying for whores' she cried more, 'no, I don't think so' 'I know I'm inexperienced' she blushed, 'hey, hey, it's ok'.

'Can you and Lucy talk John, she thinks you're cheating' 'what, how?' 'you keep disappearing off at random times' 'I'm organising her parents to visit' 'well she wants to run back to England, you're not talking and how much was the ring' 'I've put the money back' 'well she doesn't know, John, you need to stop it, you're inadvertently hurting her feelings, she was racked with sobs, I had to change my shirt' John grimaced, 'really, at work?' 'indeed, then she kept apologising' 'she does that, it's an English thing' they smiled, 'just sort it out'.

'Lucy babe' 'don't talk to me, I can't take it any more' flopping on the bed, John followed her, 'what's up' 'we don't talk, you go off at random times, and my parents are being weird, and you spent our money for the future-' 'I put it back' 'really' 'yeah, I just need to borrow some money to pay for something' crossing his legs on the bed, she smiled, 'what are you paying for, like we're good right' she blushed, 'if I’m not-' 'oh, babe, no you know exactly what to do and more, I'd never do that' 'good, good, I do trust you, it's just Tim said it' John laughed, 'cos we take his advice' 'good point' 'I'm in love with you Lucy' 'I'm in love with you Johnny' he grinned, 'good, never cheat on you, especially not with people who want my cash' she laughed.
-x-

'Come in Mrs Caswell, Mr Caswell, Lucy's at work' 'when's the proposal?' 'tonight, when all our friends are here' 'lovely' he smiled, 'John, it's amazing what you've planned, you must love really love our daughter' 'I've been behaving so oddly latel organising this-' 'same with us, we're not good at keeping secrets at all' they laughed, 'good, I'll show you the way, you've got the best room, it's got an amazing view of the spring' heading up the stairs, 'here you go?' 'thank you John' 'no problem Mrs Caswell' 'Sue, love' 'oh, course, Kenny' 'Sue, Kenny' he smiled, letting them settle.

Lucy came in, ‘I need to slouch, man, Tim made me stay and do the Australia work for This Century, though I did get to talk to Tay Jardine, and have a little gossip’ John laughed, ‘you can’t babe, it’s our anniversary’ ‘oh, shit, it is’ she smiled, ‘sorry, I’ll go change into your favourite’ he blushed, holding her waist, ‘I suggest you don’t pick the see-through one’ ‘good point, good point, never know who might turn up, always do when you don’t want them to’ John laughed, ‘no, that’s true’ they giggled kissing, John looked at his phone, ‘our daughter has a see through dress?’ he blushed, ‘sorry’ hearing giggling.

'You look gorgeous, pink converses really' 'I'm being comfortable' 'fine, I need to blindfold you though' 'ok' he smiled, 'you must trust me' 'I do' tying at the back of her head, he told the people to come in, and asked her parents downstairs, 'what's going on?' she asked, people giggled, as John cam downstairs, people surrounding her, 'fudge, I'm used to people watching but this is scary' Lucy was confused, 'could be worse, could be that time, when you dressed in the back and those fangirls saw your-' 'Lucy!' as everyone laughed, 'ok'.

John took a breath, and read his speech, ‘Lucy I love you, and I always will, I’ve written an album about you, but I want you to be my catalogue, I wanna wake up with my muse for life, will you marry me?’ taking her blindfold off, ‘yes!’ jumping on him, grabbing him he grinned, ‘you need this’ sliding a ring on her finger, ‘mum, dad’ hugging them both, ‘congratulations darling’ hugging her back, John smiled, ‘time to celebrate’ popping open champagne, ‘it’s so good to see you, it feels like forever’ wiping her eyes, ‘darling, we’ve missed you, you are happy’ ‘very, but England is so nice and cold sometimes’ they laughed.

John danced with her, ‘this is why you didn’t talk to me, wasn’t it, your shit at keeping secrets, so you couldn’t talk to me or you’d give it away’ ‘that’s it really, when we talk you make me happy, and I’d let it slip, cos I love making you happy’ ‘you’re so cute’ kissing him softly, ‘your parents are in a hotel babe’ she smirked, ‘babe, I wanna be banged like a fireworks display’ he laughed, ‘your wish is my command’.
-x-
5 years later:-

John smiled as she snuggled into one of his shirts, her baby bump on display, he was so glad to be home for their birth, being 8 months, she was on leave, ‘babe?’ waking her a little, she grinned, ‘hey, sweetie’ he grinned, ‘you taking care of our son and daughter’ ‘I think they’re taking care of me, I’m glad, oh fuck-’ ‘what?’ ‘waters, John, hospital’ ‘you are kidding me?’ ‘I am not kidding you’ getting to her car, John drove far too quickly.

'My wife, twins, waters' carrying her, 'the contractions' she winced, 'Mrs O'Callaghan, to maternity' getting a gurney and heading down, 'Mrs O-' 'that's fine' 'push' John held her hand, wondering if he would have hands left by the end of the birth, 'Mrs O, your daughter' she smiled, 'what's her name?' 'Oh, it's Lily Jennifer' John smiled, kissing her head, 'Lily?' 'Susan mean Lily in hebrew' 'I see what you did there' they laughed, 'Lily Jennifer is a lovely name' 'thank you' Lucy smiled, 'just got to get the sixth coming' 'it's 5am darling' 'I can feel it' they giggled, pushing out her son.

'Our family' John held Lucy's hand, 'yeah, amazing' falling back on the bed, '6:24' 'I'm sorry John' he laughed, 'no need, I came back from England, I'm still thinking it's 10' she laughed, 'I love you' 'I love you too, your mum and dad were at the show in London, they had their best wishes' she smiled, wiping her eyes, 'you miss them, don't you?' 'I really wouldn't mind a mum, now I am one' John hugged one, 'I know babe' 'but seeing as missing him is how I knew I was in love with you, I think I can deal with it' he grinned kissing her head, 'I love you' 'I love you too'.

John put them in their beds, not knowing whether to keep them in the same room, keeping one in their room and one in their room, ‘I think we put the loud one in with us’ ‘it’s a good thing, don’t worry, cos then she can’t wake the other one, and we can get there quickly’ ‘good point’ John smiled holding her in bed, ‘I always knew this would be us, as soon as I fell in love with you, it’s why I knew I’d get this house’ ‘I thought you were mental, but now I realise you’re my soul mate’ he grinned, ‘good, me too’ they giggled.
They lived happily.