Making Up.

Learning.

Lucy knocked on her neighbour’s door he was new, ‘hello?’ ‘oh, hey, I made cookies, welcome to the neighbourhood’ he grinned, ‘thanks, what’s your name?’ ‘I’m Lucy’ he nodded, ‘what do you do?’ ‘I work at the radio station, do the 1-2 shift, got a request?’ ‘Tom Petty’ ‘I play that anyway’ he smiled, ‘really?’ ‘isn’t Wildflowers, perfection?’ he laughed, ‘I believe so’ ‘see you around, enjoy’ ‘will do, what station?’ ‘AZFM’ he smiled, ‘The Maine would be good too?’ ‘you totally should listen to my show’ he smiled, looking for it.

Lucy opened with Wildflowers and Wild and Free was next so she played You’re My Song next then on to Thinking of You, ‘good morning Arizona, I’ll be taking care of you for the next four hours, I apologise in advance, feel free to send in requests to the email Lucy@azfm.com LUCY, as you know, you regulars, and we’ll try and play it’ John opened his laptop and sent a list, ‘from your new neighbour’ she laughed to herself, ‘I just got a new neighbour he likes good music’ he grinned, playing few of his requests, ‘but one of mine, next this is Cake, Shirt Skirt, Long Jacket’ he smiled, had he moved in next to the perfect girl? Eating cookies, contemplated.

John heard her get back, ‘hey?’ she smiled, blinking, ‘it’s John, isn’t it, your email’ he smiled, nodding, ‘I’ve only done this slot for the last week, moved from working the midnight shifts’ she grinned, ‘so finally I get to gigs’ he grinned, ‘you’ll have to come to mine’ ‘oh?’ ‘I’m in The Maine, singer?’ ‘John O’Callaghan’ she bit her lip, ‘ok-’ she closed her door quickly, he knocked, ‘ok?’ ‘oh, it’s just, I don’t think of myself as pretty, it’s just you have, hmm, nothing I say-’ he looked at her, ‘you have a bit of a reputation?’ she grimaced, ‘sorry’ he looked at his shoes, ‘really?’ ‘the town’s been talking’ he laughed, ‘I’m sorry, I’m sure you’re nice and stuff, smooth-’ they laughed nervously, ‘would you like a coffee?’ ‘sure’.

Her coffee machine made cappuccino’s, she passed him a mug, ‘thanks’ ‘no problem, hope the cookies were ok?’ ‘they were amazing, is it really that bad?’ ‘it’s like a network of gossip, you know, if you see Johnoh, warn a sister’ he laughed, ‘clearly, not doing a great job’ ‘well, no’ they laughed, ‘it’s not just you, it’s a lot of guys in bands, Brian is much worse’ he laughed, ‘good to know, I’ve even noticed he’s getting around, with some risky one’s no offence’ ‘none taken, I did begin political philosophy once’ ‘really?’ she nodded, ‘I did, then I really hated politics’ ‘tends to happen’ ‘still a democrat’ ‘of course’ they laughed, ‘I begun philosophy, but the band’ ‘I did musicology’ ‘that’s real’ she laughed, ‘indeed, it’s interesting, did my dissertation on country music’ ‘nice’ she sighed.

'What music do you listen to?' 'What you do, you played Rocket?' 'I did' 'my best friend's in that band' 'Arizona, compared to Baltimore, is a massive talent pool, it's awesome' 'you have All Time Low?' 'and, Clutch, about it' she rested her head on the back of her armchair, 'you are pretty' she laughed, 'thanks, I'll go with it' he smiled, 'you should believe it' 'I have a face for radio, and when I hear myself back, a voice for silent movies' he shook his head, 'you have a voice people trust, it's quite soothing' she smiled, 'well, thanks, I'm cooking in a minute, wanna join me, if you've just moved in-' 'I have nothing' she laughed, 'that's fine, is pasta ok?' 'Absolutely'.

Serving up, she brought it through, sitting at the table, ‘do you drink wine, or would you prefer whiskey?’ ‘I think you already know’ she laughed, ‘me too’ pouring out measures she put them down, ‘this is good’ ‘thanks, get it from my momma’ ‘anything else you get from your momma?’ she laughed, ‘too much’ he laughed, eating pasta, ‘this is ho you get the girls huh?’ ‘see if you weren’t on the defensive, you would be so done, right now’ she laughed, ‘absolutely not’ she shrugged, ‘you’re not my type’ ‘you have a type?’ he smiled, fuck was all she thought, ‘I do, it’s not you’ ‘you’re lying’ ‘you’d be accurate’ he smirked, ‘it’s not like you can’t get a guy’ ‘I’ve had no time to find one, and to be honest I don’t mind being alone’ ‘yet, you invite me round’ ‘I’m being nice’ he nodded, ‘fine’.

She saw John out after food, ‘thanks for having me, and you can have me whenever you want’ ‘well, we’ve had dinner’ he laughed, ‘keep it polite’ ‘I’m really not used to someone so confident’ ‘cos you aren’t for someone on radio, you don’t like your own voice’ ‘sometimes it’s the littlest voices, that shout the loudest’ he grinned, ‘maybe, but I can definitely see if it’s true’ she closed the door, he grinned, knowing he had pretty much seduced his next door neighbour, cos she knew too much to fall in love with him, right?


John knocked on her door, ‘come in’ ‘can you turn it down?’ she laughed, stepping off the sofa, and putting the hairbrush down, he grinned, ‘you were pretending to sing weren’t you?’ ‘Absolutely’ he grinned, as she turned it down, ‘is that all, cos I should be preparing to go to a function on getting more musicians on radio, I play a lot of stuff generally people don’t’ ‘I know’ he smiled, ‘need a plus one?’ ‘you need to be able to leave in 20 minutes?’ ‘Be right there’ he grinned.
John looked at her, ‘gee, girl, impressive’ she laughed, ‘thanks, you scrub up well’ ‘thanks’ slipping on a jacket, ‘be polite, don’t chew on anything, and do not insult anyone who insults you’ ‘why are you telling me this?’ ‘cos I’m a girl, I get it all the time, I worry you’d defend me, or worse don’t’ he laughed, ‘ok-’ she smiled, getting in her car, ‘you have a mini of all things, can we use my car, I have a convertible’ ‘I’ll look a mess’ ‘I’ll put the roof up’ ‘fine’ locking the door, he did the roof getting in shot gun, ‘what’s the address?’ she gave it to him.

'I bet you've got laid in this' she grimaced, 'you wish' he smirked, 'what is wrong with you?' 'I know what you expect' 'that's tragic, I don't expect anything, I just wish you would treat me like I treat you' 'what stand-offish?' 'I'm far from stand-offish, we're in your car' 'all I want is someone to care about, spoil, love' he turned red, 'and, I met you, and I really wanted to, and you'll never give me the chance' hr jaw dropped, 'well, just ask me to dinner then, instead of freaking me out, people have supposedly changed your ways before' he laughed, 'kinda, no' 'we'll just pretend, for my sanity' smiling, 'I don't mind at all taking you to dinner' 'good, now, we have a bunch of lovely people to meet' heading in the Grand.

'Even the wine is horrible' he whispered, 'play nice' he smiled, 'I'll admit it's useful, but I don't like these people, you don't like these people' she laughed, 'I know, but there's half a hour left, and I have to be here, to make my work hours up, my boss is here' 'fine' getting through the rest of the evening, 'interesting guest Lucy' she smiled, 'he's my new neighbour' 'the one who sends you play lists?' she smiled, 'indeed, he doesn't always get his own way' he laughed', 'well, if you ever want your own show, during your downtime, Lucy can help' 'nice, thanks' John smiled, she kicked him in the ankle, 'what?' he muttered, 'business and pleasure, too much' he smiled, 'it's all business so far' he rolled his eyes she giggled, 'oh, John' 'what?'
John drove home with her, ‘thanks for the ride’ ‘thanks for the invite’ she smiled, ‘no problem, if anything comes up, that might be useful, oh, and if you could get me a preview copy of Biography of A Heartbreak, would be useful, cos Tim is a pain’ John laughed, ‘for you or the radio?’ ‘both?’ he laughed ‘I will get you a preview’ ‘I even invited them on the show, but nothing, I get good ratings’ he smiled, ‘I’ll do some poking’ ‘thanks’ she kissed his cheek, ‘good things come to those who wait’ he grinned, heading inside.

'I have a date' they laughed, 'what?' 'Not very John like, sorry' 'she's my neighbour' 'not a problem for you, if it goes wrong?' 'I think she likes me, and she likes good music, she has a radio show, her name's Lucy?' 'Lucy, on AZFM, is your neighbour?' Jared asked with a grin, 'you make her hate us, I will reconsider our friendship' 'woo, thanks Jar, no she's awesome, and it took me long enough to convince her, she's not blind to my behaviour either, though I'm told there are worse' 'really?' 'Brian, definitely Brian' they laughed, 'exactly, I better go get ready, but she took me to this radio thing the other night it was useful, might have more press in the future' 'nice one'.

Lucy waited for him, ‘you ok?’ he asked, ‘a little cold but fine’ rubbing her arms, heading inside with her, ordering food, they began to talk over food, he just wanted to convince her but not try too hard, she smiled, caressing the top of her wine glass, she’d look down, it was typical girly flirtatious behaviour, and with her he was just a sucker for it and she didn’t even know what she was doing to him, running his fingers through his hair, ‘ok?’ she asked, ‘you do that when you’re annoyed or nervous?’ he smiled, ‘you figure me out that quick?’ ‘it was kinda obvious, I think I make you do that, which is quite amusing, but makes me realise you’re being genuine’ eating ice cream, ‘you think?’ he smiled, ‘I like to think so’ ‘please do’ she smiled too.

'Jared listens to you, my other best friend' she nodded, 'oh, cool, glad he likes' 'he's the one who made me listen to Tom Petty' she laughed, 'sounds like a good friend' 'he says, if I make you hate me, he’ll hate me so' she laughed rubbing her head, 'hating people is such a waste of energy, it's so trivial, if you're trying to be a good person hanging on people's mistakes, isn't what you do, I'd hoped you figured that by now' he smiled, tilting her chin up, 'fuck it, I'm going to kiss you' pressing lips, she grinned, 'I really want more than a kiss' he grinned, 'I'm so glad' he picked her up and headed for her bedroom, kicking the door closed, he took her dress off, 'might get that experience to myself' 'oh, you do'.

Lucy wrapped her legs round him, rolling her hips, ‘Lucy, fuck, babe-’ kissing her neck, she gasped, ‘just taken two weeks’ ‘shut up’ he laughed, climaxing together, he held her, ‘if there’s one thing I’ve learnt, is that you have no choice over when you fall in love with someone’ she smiled, ‘or who’ they giggled, ‘so much shit is going to go down about us isn’t it?’ he nodded, ‘oh, well’ they laughed, John holding her close, ‘I wanna know this body better’ pinning him down in bed, ‘you like it, I like yours’ ‘I had no idea’ ‘do you give head?’ ‘only if you do’ ‘fair’ they kissed, ‘what made you-’ ‘many little things’ he grinned, ‘well, I promise you, it’s going to be worth it’ rolling on top, ‘you better return the favour’ ‘promise’.

Six months later:-

’..I’m just saying, your apartment is nicer’ ‘cos you don’t live in it’ he grinned, ‘and, I wanna be with you, I wanna sleep next to you all the time, and come home here’ she smiled, ‘fine, you’ve worn me’ he grinned, ‘but one condition’ ‘anything?’ sinking to his knees, ‘living the dream’ he laughed, ‘you’re tidy, please, clean up after yourself, I am not your housekeeper, I’m your girlfriend’ ‘deal’ ‘and, if someone asks if you have a girlfriend it would be nice, if you said yes?’ ‘that bothers you?’ he looked at her, ‘well, it took 3 months to tell your best friends, if you don’t want me, you can keep to the other side of the building’ ‘Lucy, I love you’ he looked sad, but awkward, ‘fine, I love you’ ‘that’s the easy bit, being in love with someone is completely different, I’m not sure you are’.

'How do you convince someone you're in love with them?' John asked Jared, 'I don't know, what you have done, not to convince her?' 'I think it's the fact it took so long to tell people I was dating her' 'to be fair three months is a long time, you're not exactly committed all the time' 'she never said that word' 'probably didn't wanna scare you' Jared smirked, 'let's be honest, this is the longest relationship you've been in, maybe tell her, she might be more understanding' Jared nodded, 'and, she can't be too worried, if she's letting you move in' 'I am in love with her, it's the little things she does' 'tell her John, use your words!'

John got in, ‘hey, Lucy?’ she was in the garden, ‘Lucy’ she looked at him, she was wrapped in blankets and on the phone to her friend Lara, who was a pain in the arse, if he did say so myself, he sat in he chair across from her, ‘night’ she muttered, ‘she doesn’t like you, I learnt that a long time ago, but I’ve never been good at listening to good advice’ ‘I’m glad’ she smiled, ‘that’s the thing, I couldn’t quit you, but fuck I could quit her’ he laughed, ‘so could I’ they giggled, John picked her up, and laid her on his lap, ‘I am in love with you, I’ve just never been in love with anyone before’ he blushed, she caressed his cheek with the back of her hand softly, ‘neither have I’ he smiled, ‘I don’t know what it’s supposed to be like’ saying it at the same time, ‘jinx’ they giggled.

'I have high expectations cos of my movie collection' he kissed her, 'you deserve someone who treats you like a princess' 'oh you do, I just worry you know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, I'd rather have the time you looked for the gift, than the gift' he grinned, 'I love you' 'I love you too, in love with you, if you knew the things you do to me, your smile in the mornings, my kiss on the head, when you leave before I do, the warm pancakes on weekends, the fact you can pretty much get what you want' she was going to argue, but didn't he grinned, 'and, you know exactly when to avoid me' 'harder if we're together' 'your worry?' 'a bit, you can get irate, particularly when you lack inspiration' 'you're mine' she blushed, 'I wanna know why you're in love with me?'

'That smile, the way you brush your lips with mine when you leave, the fact you love to learn, I think your intelligence is very attractive, the way you close your eyes when I kiss your neck, it makes me happy, and even when you're on tour you're always listening and sending me play lists!' he laughed, 'fine I'll stop' 'don't you bloody dare' he grinned, 'I love you' 'I love you too' 'in love' 'in love' they hugged, 'I wanna show you how much' picking her up, 'thank god it's Friday?' 'why?' 'cos, if it was a work day, I'd have to walk' he laughed, making love all night.

John stood in Brazil a few weeks later, ‘John do you have a girlfriend?’ ‘I do, actually for a while’ he grinned, ‘she’s on the radio back in my own state’ ‘what’s her name?’ ‘her name’s Lucy, she plays good music, I listen to her even when I’m here, cos I miss her’ he blushed, the girls went aww, he grinned, ‘she’s pretty amazing’ signing another picture, he got back to the bus, ‘hope my fella is having awesome time in Brazil’ she grinned, as he did on the bus, ‘this is one of his favourites, transatlanticism’ he smiled, ‘I really hate how I’m right, right now’ Jared smiled, ‘you saved my relationship, this is why you’re my future best man’ Jared looked at him, ‘what?’ ‘not yet, gee’ they laughed.

A year later:-

Sitting in Jared’s cabin in the summer, Lucy had a holiday, ‘you ok, babe?’ he asked, grinning, ‘I’m good, this gingerness though’ he laughed, ‘if Jared can handle it’ ‘good point, Jared must be the popular ginger since Ron Weasley’ John laughed, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ kissing deeply, falling back on the sofa, ‘you’re better at sundown’ she fluttered her eyelashes, ‘I’ve been to your gigs, and been in bed with you, so are you honey bee’ running her fingers through his hair, ‘surely, king bee?’ ‘you know it’ he kissed her hungrily, pulling on one of her lips, she smiled, ‘once I thought that was kinky, but finding out what you like has been a learning curve’ he blushed, as she slapped him on the butt, she wrapped her legs round him, ‘that’s my sofa?’ Jared smirked, getting off one another, they giggled.

John pulled her on the balcony, the sound of Southern Air playing in her iPod, ‘whatcha listening to?’ ‘Telescope, by Yellowcard?’ ‘Did you buy it?’ ‘Honestly no, it was a preview’ he laughed, ‘did you buy any?’ ‘the one’s in my collection are bought, thanks’ he laughed, holding her waist, she closed her eyes, ‘hmm, this feels pretty good’ he kissed her head, ‘it does, I love you’ ‘I love you’ ‘sounds good now’ she breathed in and out, ‘smells good’ they laughed, ‘I know something that would sound good to me’ ‘oh?’ ‘You answering yes to my next question’ ‘ok-’ ‘marry me?’ ‘yes’ ‘sounds good’ she took his cheeks and kissed him, ‘it was the perfect moment’ ‘it really was, you did good John’ he smiled, ‘I’ve been meaning to for a while’ she smiled, ‘not on Jared’s sofa’ ‘I was thinking of the wall’.
'Well, I'm a mess' he laughed, as she tried to keep standing John held her close, she sorted out his jeans, 'you sit there, and I'll sort the bed, darling' she nodded and giggled, 'you've really taken to this tidying thing' he laughed, 'all good, well if it means keeping you, well I'll do it' 'I pray it continues when we get married' 'of course, you can get a divorce' she laughed, 'I doubt it will come to that' holding his hand, 'you wreck me baby' he laughed, 'but you move me honey' 'oh, yes you do' they giggled, 'such a tune' 'what a girl' 'what a boy' kissing softly, he put the ring on her finger, 'you tell the world that' 'just people I care about'.
They lived happily.