Making Up.

Work.

John smiled at her across the bar, she averted her eyes smiling to herself reading a book, he grinned telling the barman to the girl any drink she wanted, she asked for a Lime Miller from the freezer on ice, being given it, he kinda liked her more for it it was a unique and interesting choice for a girl as she took a sip and flicked a page over, ‘trying to get her interest?’ the barman asked, ‘it’s not working mate?’ ‘it always works!’ John sighed as she flicked another page he made his way round, ‘whatcha reading?’ ‘Composition and Theory: A Reader’ shit was all he thought as she sipped her drink, ‘thanks for the drink’ ‘no problem’ ‘you do music?’ ‘I do, final stretch now, then back to civilisation or Alabama’ she laughed to herself a little, ‘not looking forward to it’ ‘I miss Alabama like I miss a hole in the head’ she muttered, flicking another page, ‘Lucy’ ‘John’ ‘I need to read this chapter’ ‘how long have you got?’ ‘a page’ ‘good’ ‘good’. 

'So, Composition and Theory?' 'indeed, it's what it says on the tin, I write compositions, I am wrote a ballet' 'wow' 'hmm, it's alright so far' 'alright?' 'I'm writing a romance and it's kinda what I think it is, and sometimes not like that' 'you mean sickly and televised' 'that precisely, I don't know I want it to feel real' 'so, are you at rehearsals of the ballet?' 'when I am not studying, yeah helping my friend Giselle, she's a choreographer and so we work together on it's translation, it's scary cos we want to tour it in spring and we have critics coming and they can make a break a ballet' she sighed, 'sorry' 'no, I know, I'm in a band' 'then you'll know' he smiled, 'what's it called?' 'One Day' 'it's about a couple who cross paths and never meet until the end' John smiled, 'but each thing they do, affects the other' John smiled, 'sounds good' 'it is, it's just, you're a musician' 'I am' 'do you wanna come see it?' 'I don't know how useful I am, I am more rock and roll' she nodded, 'well, I think something isn't there, maybe you can help' 'ok' 'good' talking all evening. 

'Do you just listen to classical' 'no, no I don't, I grew up on all sorts, my brother is a DJ in Miami, we joke around about who makes the proper music' John laughed, 'but he's really good, ermm, I grew up on Tom Petty and music like that' 'I love Tom Petty' 'if you don't like Wildflowers, I don't like you' John smiled, 'you like me, good' laughing a little, 'Ryan Adams, that kind of stuff, and I have this Death Cab thing, I'll confess' John laughed, 'have you seen them live?' 'about seven times?' John laughed, 'for me it was Codes and Keys and not Transatlanticism, but that is also a perfect record' 'Counting Crows' 'I know August' 'you'd like them' talking about music for hours, 'guys, we're closing' 'oh, sorry, thanks' picking up her book, John walked with her, she got a piece of paper, 'be here on Wednesday afternoon if you can at this address?' 'I know that place' 'awesome, 2pm' he grinned, 'Lucy' 'yes' John kissed her softly, 'don't want you to be a log' 'mutual' she kissed him back, he grinned.
-x-

John smiled standing at the front of the stage, ‘this is our cast they’re from the Phoenix School of Arts’  John smiled, ‘pretty good group, I think’ as they begun show, Giselle telling them to get in place, ‘I need to go conduct but if you just watch and listen and we’ll get food’ John smiled, ‘ok’ ‘we’re having the costumes made right now, so of course’ ‘it’s fine’ ‘good’ laughing a little, ‘Lucy, I want you to myself after?’ ‘and you’ll get me’ kissing him softly, he grinned, ‘you’re quite addictive’ ‘I’m in work mode, but when I leave those doors, you’ll have to keep up with me darling’ John grinned, ‘good to know’ laughing a little watching her head for the orchestra, Giselle looked at him, ‘she did good’ John laughed, ‘glad you think so’ ‘you’re so her type’ ‘she has one’ ‘life ruiners, absolutely’ ‘hey!’ shaking her head and getting back to rehearsals John bummed out about her. 

Lucy smiled listening to his thoughts, ‘fuck it, your friend said I was a life ruiner and it made me mad’ Lucy looked at him, ‘good?’ he laughed, ‘really?’ ‘well, if it makes you mad, then I guess you’re not?’ John smiled, ‘I guess’ ‘good, you have that type’ ‘just one, geez, he’s such a charm’ John laughed, ‘tough, huh?’ ‘well, you know sometimes you can’t choose them’ John smiled, ‘no, that’s true’ laughing a little, ‘I think you’re wrong, I think the only thing tricking you is your mind, and you just gotta make sure it flows well, when your produce something it has to go with it’ Lucy nodded, ‘course’ chatting about the show for the while, ‘cool, now are we going to stop being boring and do something?’ John grinned, ‘good idea’ heading out of the bar and heading for the nightlife, getting drinks, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ pulling her in, ‘you’re worth drinks’ she giggled pulling on his lip, ‘I agree’ ‘you are so damn sexy, I never saw it before’ ‘give me time’ ‘all the time you want’. 

John smiled walking out with her and heading for her apartment, ‘you staying?’ ‘if you would like?’ clashing lips and falling on the bed making out, ‘you’re horny aren’t you?’ ‘yes’ ‘when was the last time?’ ‘about 20 months ago’ John smiled, ‘also, it was my ex,' John looked at her, ‘please’ ‘fine’ ‘girls can want sex too, it won’t change how I feel about you’ ‘mutual’ ‘but if you wanna wait, I’ve waited long enough’ John kissed her neck, ‘I knew the moment I saw you Lucy’ ‘I knew the moment I knew you, you make me laugh and a way to make me sad, cos no one deserves to be that alone’ John blushed as she kissed softly on the lips, ‘let me lead if you’d like sweetie?’ ‘ok’ making love passionately throughout the night, falling asleep next to him. 

Lucy smiled bringing him breakfast, ‘you ok? ‘I’m very well’ kissing her softly, she smiled against his lips,’I know we sped up a little, but like we can still date and things, just be a bit more fun’ John smiled, ‘good, cos I wanna take you out and show you off’ she giggled kissing him, ‘have breakfast, I have the weekends’ John smiled, ‘do you wanna go to the ballgame?’ ‘are you?’ ‘I have tickets’ John grinned, ‘absolutely’ ‘good, we should date and know one another better, I will say I am a little passionate’ ‘oh, really?’ John smirked, she blushed giggling, ‘but, yes, I also watch hockey’ ‘really?’ ‘I do, big Coyotes fan’ ‘ok’ John smiled, ‘can you skate?’ ‘we’re going skating John, it’s just done’ ‘fine, but I fall over a lot’ ‘and, I’ll be there to pick you up’ ‘good’.
-x-
6 months later:-

Lucy took out her guitar nervously at the acoustic in downtown Phoenix, ‘just singing a few songs of my own, I hope you enjoy’ she nodded with a nervous smile, singing Radio Love and then About A Boy and then finally finishing up with a cover of Don’t Fade On Me by Tom Petty, Nick nodded thinking she was talented, heading to finally meet John, who was always talking about his girlfriend Lucy, who had just finished a very successful run across the country with her own ballet, One Day as the girl went to the bar, ‘you are really good?’ ‘aww, thank you, I’m really new at it, my boyfriend practically taught me to write’ he laughed, ‘damn’ ‘sorry, very happily taken, though he’s going to get suspicious all those late nights’ ‘he doesn’t know?’ ‘he’s in a band, and I don’t want him to to think, oh well’ Nick smiled, ‘well, he’s an idiot’ ‘nah, he’s a genius, see you around’ finishing her drink, Nick smiled. 

Nick knocked on John’s door, ‘hey come in, meet Lucy’ ‘nice to meet you, oh’ ‘you were..’ ‘I was’ laughing a little, ‘you’ve met?’ ‘very briefly’ ‘when?’ ‘last night, I was out with my friends and Nick was there’ ‘did he hit on you?’ ‘no, no’ Nick shaking his head, ‘right, so, ok, well that’s pretty interesting’ ‘it is, I had no idea, how stupid of me’ ‘I’m Nick’ ‘Lucy’ ‘good to meet you again’ laughing a little, ‘I’m cooking would you like some?’ ‘whatcha cooking?’ ‘I’m making club sandwiches’ ‘oh, man that sounds good’ ‘I think so’ John smiled kissing her cheek, ‘she bought the house when theatres bought the rights to do her ballet, it’s incredibly popular’ ‘I’ve heard’ Nick smiled, ‘it’s getting mad reviews in New York’ ‘she was there conducting for the first 6 weeks, I was on tour’ Nick smiled, ‘know what she does all the time?’ ‘pretty much, I don’t follow her, why, was she crazy?’ ‘no, no just talk to her’. 

John smiled as she read her book, ‘I fell in love with you doing that’ she smiled, ‘I fell in love with you in silence, you just holding me at night, but I’m glad you love me’ John smiled, ‘I love you so much’ ‘I love you too’ ‘so, what’s going on?’ ‘going on?’ ‘you and Nick?’ ‘I don’t want you to be mad, right?’ ‘what are you doing?’ looking at her, ‘he caught me in Moody’s doing the acoustic night’ she murmured, ‘that’s all’ John sighed in relief with a smile on his face, ‘god, I thought you were doing something terrible, like having an affair or something’ she laughed loudly, ‘ask him what I said about you in the 2 minutes I met him in’ John smiled, ‘oh, really?’ ‘ahha, I was sickening, you’d hate it’ getting on top of her Lucy put her book down, kissing softly, Lucy brushed his lips, ‘I wanna hear you sing?’ ‘if you’re good as usual, you will baby?’ John blushed, ‘I love you so much’ ‘I love you too’. 

John chuckled, ‘sounds like something she would say, genius’ Nick smiled, ‘you got a good one’ ‘I know I did, so what was she like?’ ‘she was so good, her cover of Don’t Fade On Me is so fucking good, hang on I recorded it’ John laughed, ‘serious?’ ‘I will recognise Tom Petty bars anywhere’ John smiled, ‘true’ playing it on his phone, ‘whose that?’ ‘Lucy?’ ‘serious?’ Jared asked, ‘damn, she likes Petty’ ‘told me on our first date’ ‘she’s got a great voice’ ‘sounded better live’ ‘John’s always wanted to get a girl on a record’ ‘guys’ they looked at him, ‘fine’ laughing, ‘I need to get her to sing more!’ laughing a little, ‘I can’t believe you didn’t know’ ‘I guess she didn’t want me to think I needed her help, which is how we met really’ laughing a little. 

Lucy smiled feeling him get in the bed, she pulled her close, ‘lemme be the big spoon’ John grinned, ‘I like it’ kissing his neck and shoulder sloppily, he smiled, ‘is someone wanting someone?’ ‘I know they’ll be douches a little, so I’m massaging your ego’ ‘you know me so well’ ‘you know me so well, babe’ trailing kisses and using her hands, John gasped climaxing she cleaned up with make up tissues, ‘I always forget how messy you are’ John smirked, ‘I like being told everything, please don’t keep me in the dark again’ ‘I promise’ kissing him deeply, ‘I love you big boy’ ‘I love you too, and I’ve been asked when you’re spring tour to go and conduct Cinderella which is my dream’ he grinned kissing her, ‘so, I’ll be in New York’ ‘I’m so glad you stayed’ ‘with a man like you to spoon, darling how could I leave?’ ‘thank you baby’ falling asleep.
-x-
2 years later:-

John laid under a tree with her, ‘if we got married, you wouldn’t change your name would you?’ John asked her, ‘why, it’s still going to be my work? Does your music stop becoming yours if you change yours, didn’t happen for Bowie and Stardust did it?’ John grinned looking at her, ‘so you’d be O’Callaghan?’ ‘oh, hell yes’ he grinned, ‘good’ ‘I wish I had a cool surname like that’ John laughed as he played with her sprawled long red hair, ‘I do love you’ ‘I love you too’ ‘will you marry me?’ she smiled, ‘I’d love too’ kissing him deeply, ‘I wanna go home?’ seeing that glint in her eye, ‘I have the feeling’ heading back home and falling into bed making love all afternoon, Lucy curling into him, ‘I’ll order pizza’ he grinned, ‘good’ getting the phone, ‘I just wanna spend my life with you’ ‘good’ kissing him softly. 

John smiled sitting in the kitchen, ‘I really would like children’ John smiled, ‘me too, sweetie’ ‘about three ok?’ ‘fine with me’ John smiled, ‘we have enough space for them’ ‘maybe two boys and a girl, I’d like that, the brothers can protect their sister’ John smiled, ‘damn right’ laughing a little, ‘when do you wanna begin on that plan?’ ‘soon’ he smiled, ‘really?’ ‘I know with the touring, but I can handle it’ John smiled, ‘well, if it’s what you want darling?’ John tangling fingers with hers, ‘hmm, wanted to since I was a kid’ ‘I know sweet’ kissing her hand, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ making plans. 
they lived happily.