Making Up.

Worth The Wait.

'John' 'do I know you' 'no, but you will, coffee sometime?' he looked a little stunned, she was gorgeous, a blonde, shorter than his type, typically, she had shining blue eyes, and wearing a pretty dress, 'you're a fan?' 'problem, I like good music, big deal' he looked at her with a grin, 'how do I know you're just not some groupie' 'I doubt I'd be asking for coffee, I'd be asking where your bedroom is' she had a point, 'you're a fangirl?' 'no, I'm a sort of pretty girl, asking a really attractive guy for coffee in a few days' he smiled, modest unusual he thought, she swayed cutely, 'fine, how old are you?' 'I'm 22, finished a social science degree' he smiled, 'coffee, huh?' 'or a beer, or tea, or a hot chocolate, if you like that kind of thing' he laughed, 'fine, Starbucks at 1?' 'Friday, excellent if it goes badly you don't ruin my weekend' he laughed, 'mutual' they smiled at one another, watching her go, he wrote the details down, thinking about what he had agreed to.
John met her feeling wary she was reading a book and pushing up glasses in a blue dress with butterflies on, she looked stunning she was reading 1984, she paced it down when she saw him he smiled, bringing a coffee over, ‘hey’ she smiled, ‘nice to see you’ he grinned, ‘I think you look gorgeous today’ she blushed, ‘thank you very much, very sweet of you’ he grinned, ‘so you’re not going to be weird?’ she looked at him, ‘I do think fangirling is a little below me, far too clever’ he grinned, ‘fine, so you’re reading that’ ‘It’s not my thing generally, I prefer a happy ending, but it’s interesting’ ‘what’s your politics?’ ‘I’m on the left, I think, I know that’s odd in Arizona’ ‘you grow up and vote republican’ ‘then I refuse to grow up’ he grinned, talking politics and life in general.
John how easy it was talk to her, ‘so, do you like philosophy texts?’ ‘I read a lot of political philosophy, but not much of the life philosophy’ ‘of course’ ‘do you recommend anything?’ he grinned, ‘I’d begin with Sartre..’ talking about books she made a note on her phone, ‘sorry, I have to write stuff down, my memory is like a sieve’ he smiled, ‘no problem’ he grinned, letting her add books on hr phone, ‘I’ll make sure to get them from the university library while I can still go in there’ ‘do you come from Arizona?’ ‘I come from Tucson’ he smiled, ‘so you’re moving back home’ ‘well, I don’t really want to, but seeing as it’s the only place I can stay for free’ he laughed, ‘I know your pain, I live in my parents office’ ‘you’re playing Tucson, right?’ ‘I am, we are’ she smiled, ‘for once’ they laughed, talking about music.
'Do you like Tom Petty?' 'I'll be honest, not much, I know Wildflowers and Mary Jane's Last Dance, and Free Fallin' but that's it' he smiled, 'good start darling' she smiled, 'glad you think so, more a Death Cab fan to be honest' she smiled, 'that's perfectly fine, what's your favourite' 'everyone says Transatlanticism, but it's awesome, We Looked Like Giants' she smiled, 'it's kinda a perfect album, much like Wildflowers' she sighed, 'anyway, we've been here 3 and half hours and the barista has glared at us for long enough for us to leave' John smiled, 'I apologise' John called, she laughed, 'do you wanna do this again?' John asked, 'I'd like to' 'excellent, mind if we go out out?' 'sure, meet you on Monroe?' 'sounds good, High Sing, get food then out?' 'sure' he grinned, knowing maybe she was just a girl who wanted to know him.

John met her outside, getting noodles, ‘so, good week?’ he smiled, ‘yeah, it’s been interesting’ she nodded, ‘I had my last exam ever, I feel quite pleased’ ‘I would be too’ ‘glad I’m celebrating with someone who knows how to’ he laughed, ‘glad I can be of use’ they laughed, John took her hand heading inside she pulled him close to dance, ‘I don’t generally dance, I sort of lumber, I’m hoping your moves will hide mine’ he held her a waist, ‘that’s fine darling’ she smiled, resting on his chest during a slow song, he grinned, knowing he had her already, and she was going to have him too.
'So, outside of your degree what do you do?' 'I work for some charities, I volunteer, read a lot, music just listening really, though I did buy a ukulele, I can play the basics' he laughed, 'that's cool' 'I wanted to learn something new' he smiled, 'you did a degree' 'that's remembering not learning' he smiled, 'true' dancing a little silly, the messed around, 'why did you ask me out?' 'cos I like you, I think you're a good person' he smiled, 'really?' 'you've done nothing to prove me wrong' 'can you handle the touring' 'you never come to my hometown anyway' he laughed, 'good point' they giggled, 'it's fine, f we're right we'll get through it' he smiled, 'you're clever, and educated' 'books and cleverness, there are more important things like friendship and bravery' he grinned, 'true'.
John walked with her, wrapping an arm round her waist, walking to a bar, she got drinks, passing him a beer, ‘you don’t like beer’ ‘exactly, will last longer’ he laughed, ‘you’re weird’ ‘I know’ sipping her drink, he shook his head, ‘do you mind if we keep in touch on tour?’ ‘sure, you’ll need my number’ writing it down for him, she watched him put it in his wallet, ‘I don’t mind’ ‘good, I don’t want you forgetting me’ ‘I’ll see you in Tucson next then?’ ‘I go on tour June 4th, in 2 weeks’ ‘well, we have a little time?’ ‘are you come to the Tempe show, it’s free’ ‘if you would like?’ ‘I would like’ ‘ok, I guess, I need more merch’ she smirked, he laughed, ‘I like how your so yourself’ ‘be yourself, everybody else is taken’ he grinned.
'I should get home' he smiled, 'I'll see you soon' she nodded, 'I hope so' kissing his cheek, he blushed, 'I'll put you on the list for the 4th, and I'll see you Tuesday?' 'course, see you then' keeping her seemed kind of essential but he just wanted to trust her.

'Victoria, guys, guys Victoria' 'pleasure' shaking hands with them, 'Lucy, I'm dating her' she smiled, 'seven dates and counting' they laughed, 'seven, that's almost a relationship?' Jared smirked, heading off, she sighed, feeling a little strung along, they had kissed, kissed a lot, but she was not putting out before she was his girlfriend, she knew he had issues around falling in love, he had never been in it, but it kinda felt wasted, 'I'm sorry about Jared' 'he makes a good point, no?' she shrugged, 'I don't know what we are any more' she sighed, 'I feel like good company' she sighed, 'anyway, it doesn't matter, good luck tonight' she kissed him softly, 'Lucy, you're not just good company I promise' kissing her head, 'ok, I'm going to go join that crowd' 'don't stay side stage' 'ermm, sure' he grinned, 'good' watching the set side stage.
John walked outside, ‘this is Lucy my girlfriend’ introducing her to Halvo, ‘thanks John’ he laughed, ‘nice to meet you’ ‘Halvo’s my best friend’ ‘what are your plans after the whole band thing’ ‘I’m going to think about it more once it is done’ she nodded, ‘must be a daunting prospect, It’s not the same but I’ve just done a degree, I have no idea what I’m doing’ ‘I feel like I’ve graduated early’ they giggled, ‘dude, you now need a hug’ hugging hm tight, ‘I like your girlfriend’ John smiled, ‘I love her’ she smiled, taking John’s hand for the last time, ‘I love him too’ he grinned.
John kissed her neck in bed making for the first time, ‘ok, baby’ he smiled kissing her passionately, ‘I’m perfect’ ‘yes you are, I love you Lucy, I’m sorry I’ve been, I don’t know, I just needed to trust you’ ‘I trusted you, I had faith in you to not do stuff-’ ’ know, and that’s true bravery’ he grinned, ‘you quoted Harry Potter-’ ‘fuck, you know?’ ‘I was watching it with my nephew’ she smiled, ‘I think I fell for you more’ she smiled, ‘good’ kissing passionately, ‘I love you Lucy, and we’re going to be in bed until I have to leave’ she laughed as he kissed her neck, ‘fine with me’ they giggled, making love again.

A year later:-
'Lucy' she looked up, she was working for 8123 in her spare time doing some admin, John sitting n the chair opposite her, 'you alright?' he smiled, 'I'm a little tired but fine' she smiled, 'good, I want you at your best today' 'really?' he laughed, 'darling, what's up?' 'just getting kinda annoyed with myself, it seems you're the only thing consistent in my life, I need to find a job that's reliable' he laughed, 'I'm very inconsistent' 'no you're not, you're always there for me, on the phone or here' he smiled, 'you're not my drinking problem' he laughed, 'good, why don't you ask Tim to work here?' 'I don't know-' Tim popped in, 'alright?' 'yes' 'no' John looked at her, 'can you employ Lucy properly?' 'she only has to ask' 'what?' 'well, you're kinda here all the time Lucy, we should pay you more, I thought you'd complain but you don't' 'well, can I?' 'yes, 9-5' John smiled, 'see?' she sighed, 'this is me in relief mode' he laughed 'come on food'.
'I met you a year ago today' he smiled, 'I was sort of unprepared for you to just turn up in my life, but you did, and I'm glad, never been happier since being with you' she smiled, 'you're worth it John, in so many ways' he grinned, 'good' 'I was kinda hoping that this time next year you would be my Mrs O'Callaghan, then can every year, well everyday celebrate you and me, and remember how dumb I was to keep dragging it out' she laughed, 'darling, yes!' he grinned, passing the ring to her, he slipped it on, 'thank you' hugging him tight, 'I love you' 'I love you too, first person I ever did, Lucy' she smiled, 'I know' holding tight, 'you were worth the wait' 'so were you, Johnoh'.
they lived happily.