Making Up.

Unconditional.

John the Sixth crawled on John’s lap giggling, climbing up on his dad’s lap, ‘dad we’re doing this thing at school about marriage and stuff’ he smiled, ‘so what do you wanna know?’ ‘how did you and mum meet?’ ‘oh, geez’ his son laughed, ‘well, your mum was a hopeless romantic and I wasn’t, we met in a coffee shop, The Briar, the one where we get you muffins?’ Johnny grinned, ‘you met there, do all people meet their wives there?’ ‘no, but they should if they come as good as your mum does’ John smiled, ‘she’s awesome, makes good muffins’ John laughed, ‘she does’ Johnny nodded, ‘so what did you do?’ ‘good question, I was a bit awkward’ his son laughed, ‘I didn’t really know what to do, I’d seen your mum buy a hot chocolate everyday for two weeks before I got the courage, she always finds it amazing someone would think she was that impressive, but your mum was, is something else’ Johnny grinned, ‘so, tell me what you did?’ ‘need advice huh?’ his son blushed, ‘alright’.

’..hot chocolate please and a blueberry muffin’ the blonde smiled at the barista who was taking her order, John standing behind her as usual, as she rooted in her bag, John took a chance, ‘can I buy it for you?’ she looked up at him, ‘sorry’ ‘no, feel free’ he grinned, ‘good, as long as ermm, I can er, have your number?’ she smiled, ‘I’d like that, but I wouldn’t mind knowing who I was calling, a name?’ ‘order sir?’ ‘John, cappucino’ she smiled,’I’m Lucy but Lu is fine’ ‘Lu’ she nodded with a smile as she moved up to get her drink from the end of the bar, ‘are you in or out?’ she looked at her watch, ‘I’m in’ he grinned, ‘good’ heading for a table in the corner, ‘what do you do?’ ‘I run a gallery in Scottsdale, I know’ he laughed, ‘I’m in a band, I know’ laughing it off.

’..I finished a degree in philosophy, not that it’s much to brag about’ John laughed, ‘I feel you’ laughing a little, ‘I really like my job though, I get to find new artists and stuff, and they let me sell my work, so it’s good’ ‘are you good?’ ‘well, I like to think so’ ‘what kind of work do you do?’ ‘I do commissions for portraits as it’s my thing, but I quite like still life’ he smiled, ‘and you sell those’ she nodded, ‘I do’ she nodded, ‘so, what’s your band like?’ ‘oh, we’re an independent band on 8123’ ‘Lydia’ he grinned, ‘that’s it’ ‘so, which one are you in, cos you’re not in that one’ he laughed, ‘The Maine’ ‘you’re touring with them right?’ ‘I am, we are’ she nodded with a smile, ‘it doesn’t surprise me you like Lydia’ ‘hey!’ laughing talking about music.

'I have to get to work' 'of course' she smiled, 'might have to run' removing her heels, he laughed, 'you should have said' 'you were excellent company' he grinned, 'mutual' she nodded, 'right, time to run, my card' he grinned, 'thank you' 'no problem at all' heading out of the door, 'did she just run out with no shoes on' 'yes, apparently she can't run in heels' laughing a little.

’..So, you think I should buy Lissa coffee?’ ‘you’re eight, that’s her name?’ John smiled, ‘she’s so pretty, dad and she likes all the things I like’ he smiled, ‘I don’t think you should buy her coffee, I think she’s too young, maybe an orange juice’ laughing as Lucy came in from work, ‘my boys good?’ kissing their heads softly, ‘we’re good mum, can we have pancakes?’ she smiled, ‘no cos I’m doing tea soon love’ ‘can we have pancakes for tea?’ ‘ask your dad’ ‘sounds good to me’ ‘alright’ Lucy smiled, ‘so, had a good day with our little soldier?’ ‘yeah we were talking about how we met?’ ‘oh, god, even the fact I had to run bare feet?’ ‘indeed, my reverse Cinderella’ giggling, John kissed her softly, ‘you should tell him about when you first told me you loved me’ ‘I will’ Johnny looked at him, ‘tell me!’

John smiled holding her hand, ‘I hate leaving you’ ‘oh, don’t worry, I know it’s your job, and you do it well from what I saw, don’t worry’ he grinned, ‘good’ holding her hand, ‘I’m glad we kept in touch’ ‘me too, it was good’ he nodded feeling his stomach twist in knots, how did even bring it up? How he felt about her all those late night chats and little minutes shared on some bus in America, how did he tell her he didn’t even need to be in the same room as her to know he had fallen in love with her? How did he explain how he felt, how?, ‘John, are you ok sweetheart?’ ‘oh, sorry, yes, fine, just thinking’ she smiled, ‘well, your thoughts are something else, so feel free to share’ he grinned, ‘what colour does a smurf go if it chokes?’ she laughed, ‘definitely something else’ he smiled nervously.

'So, do anything but sing on tour?' 'yeah a few things' chatting about what they got up to, not that they didn't know, but she loved his voice, if she was honest when he was drunk it was even better, his southern twang being exaggerated, it would get him laid in the future, she hoped anyway, he smiled as she traced her bottle of beer, 'so, do we have any plans?' 'oh, my mum wants to meet you, it's been about 8 weeks now' John grinned, 'she saw you on Skype, says I did good' he laughed, 'glad' 'I love you John' she smiled, 'I hope-' he slumped, 'ok' 'no, no it's not bad' she looked a little less worried, 'Lu I love you' 'well, that sounded enthused' he laughed, 'I'm scared, I've never loved anyone, I spend my days looking forward to hearing your voice' 'me too' he grinned tangling fingers, 'I was worried you wouldn't believe me cos' 'I trust you too' he smiled, 'I trust you' she smiled.

'Are you staying tonight?' standing on her step, 'I don't know if I'm that good' 'I don't review' he laughed, 'good' kissing her deeply, he pulled her close kissing passionately on the step they headed for her bedroom quickly, clothes leading from the front door making love all night, he held her in bed, 'it wasn't hard to love you' she smiled, 'mutual, I missed you' he smiled, 'I missed you too' kissing softly, falling asleep on her shoulder.

'Dad, you're rubbish' he laughed, 'I was a bit' 'Johnny don't be mean, your dad was scared and love is a big thing, you never know when you will fall for someone, you could be eight, could be eighty' John smiled, 'well, I'm 8 and I love someone' Lucy smiled, 'what's her name?' 'Lissa' John smiled as he rested his head in his hands thinking of her, 'she's amazing' 'he's like me about you, I talked about you constantly' 'I hate it when adults say to kids you don't know what love is, I think they know it best' John smiled, 'want me to invite her over for the day, you can show her the den you made with dad?' 'really mum?' 'course' she smiled, 'are you friends with her?' 'I am' John nodded, 'you should invite her over' John nodded, 'I will' tucking into a pancake, 'if you're so scared of love dad, how did you ask her to marry you?' 'embarassment' 'hey!' 'you were drunk' 'dad!' he grinned.

'It's Valentine's London' he smiled, 'and my gorgeous girlfriend loves this song, so this is for her, If I Only Had A Heart' singing the song in the set, he got his phone out, 'I'mma call her London' shrieks occuring John called her after about 4 beers, 'darling' she smiled noticing his drunken southern accent going on, 'John, you're drunk' he smiled, 'and I know you like it darling' she blushed knowing she was now completely turned on, 'I'm on stage in London, darling and it's Valentines' 'you hate Valentines' he smiled, 'I do, but I'm asking you to marry me?' 'sorry' 'will you marry me?' 'I hope you remember this in the morning, yes John' he grinned, 'good' heading in to the set.

John rubbed his head, his phone going off, ‘do you remember what you did?’ he smiled reflecting, ‘yes, I asked you to marry me?’ ‘you mean it?’ ‘with all my heart Lu, known since I met you, me and you would spend our lives together, running out of a coffee shop barefoot’ she giggled, ‘ok, good, just clarifying’ ‘if you look in the side drawer there’s a ring’ ‘oh, no pal, you’re doing the prince charming routine when you get home’ he grinned, ‘fine, I’ll be your Prince Charming, Cinders’ she giggled, ‘good, I’m in love with you fool’ ‘I’m in love with you too, can’t wait to be home’ he grinned hanging up, ‘who’s your best man?’ Jared asked, ‘you?’ ‘awesome’ he smiled.

'Can you remember proposing?' 'I can sort of, it's a lot based on your mum's recollection of it' Johnny shook his head, 'dad, you're bad' 'I was worse then, I got better' he smiled, 'good, so what should I do about Lissa?' 'ask her round, I'll make cookies, you can have a picnic in your den' 'are we setting our son up, he's 8!' John replied, 'yes, we are, he clearly likes her a lot' 'impress her with her guitar skills, your mum loves it' Lucy blushed, 'your dad begun playing to you in the womb, before you were born, before nature had decided you were a boy, you were never gonna suck at being a musician' John grinned, 'I've wanted kids all my life' Lucy smiled, 'I'm glad' he nodded, 'so I invite her over?' 'yes John' John nodded, 'do it'.

John held her hand a few days later, ‘hello’ John smiled, ‘I’m Lissa’ ‘nice to meet you’ Lucy smiled, ‘come in, it’s love to meet Mr and Mrs Clarke’ ‘nice to meet you too, Mrs O’Callaghan, Mr’ he smiled shaking hands with them, ‘Lissa and John have been friends since they begun school’ ‘would you like a coffee?’ ‘we have to scoot unfortunately, but definitely another day!’ Mrs Clarke smiled, ‘thank you’ heading off, ‘now kids, what would you like to do?’ ‘Johnny said he makes music’ John smiled, ‘Johnny, why don’t you go to the music room?’ ‘thanks dad’ heading up the stairs with Lissa, Lucy smiled, ‘we’ll have one of those?’ ‘what?’ ‘a daughter’ ‘how do you know?’ ‘cos, I found out the other day, I’m carrying her’ ‘you’re pregnant?’ she nodded, John hugging her, ‘oh, my god, we’re getting a daughter?’ ‘I had no idea, cos the pill’ ‘god, damn, I love you’ ‘I love you too’ ‘a daughter!’ he grinned.

Lissa and John sat in the kitchen, ‘be careful as they’re still warm, would you like some milk?’ ‘please Mrs O-’ ‘Call me Lu, Lissa’ ‘Lu’ she smiled as she got milk, Lissa placing her hand on the table, John looked at it, ‘hold it’ she mouthed to him, John tentatively moved his hand and held it, the girl smiled, ‘I’m glad you did that’ Lissa whispered, John grinned tangling fingers, Lissa kissed his cheek, he blushed, Lucy smiled leaving the room to wipe her eyes, ‘you getting emotional already’ Lucy explained John taking a sneaky look as they kissed, ‘my son found his soulmate at 8 and I had to wait until 26?’ ‘it’s an unfair world’ John smiled, ‘they’re kissing you know’ ‘it’s the cutest thing’ looking inside they were talking about cartoons holding hands.

-x-

10 years later:-

'I'm watching my son get married to a girl I served warm cookies and milk too' John smiled, 'they're in a band together' laughing a little, Lucy wiped her eyes, Gracie watching the wedding, 'did you have one of these?' 'we did Grace' she smiled, 'will I have one?' 'if you want one darling' she smiled, 'is it normal not to find the person you marry when you're eight, cos I haven't' 'Grace, it's completely fine, me and your dad were 26' John smiled, 'and you need to be my princess instead of queen darling' she grinned, 'I'm fine with that' 'good' he smiled kissing her head as the wedding happened, Lucy just kept wiping her eyes.

'Lu!' Lissa hugging her, 'thanks for inviting me round' 'any time' they laughed, 'it's still the cutest thing I have seen in my life' 'I don't know how I knew, but I did' 'I know the feeling exactly' Gracie smiled, 'thanks for letting me maid you' 'no problem you're my little sister' hugging her tight, Gracie smiled, 'so, where are you going on the honeymoon?' 'Warped tour' John laughed, 'you'll be great' Johnny joining them, 'mum, dad, thank you for everything' 'no problem' 'my mum and dad disapproved but it's 10 years, we've never argued over anything except the tv remote sometimes, i'm in love with him' Johnny smiled, 'in love with you too darling' she blushed, 'you do that too, sorry' Lucy poked John, 'well, when you get home we have a surprise for you?' 'oh?' Lu passed a letter, 'me and John thought you deserved a place you can call home together' Lissa opened it up, 'you bought us the 2 bed apartment' Vee nodded, 'paid in full' Lissa hugging them, 'thank you so much' 'no problem'.

Lucy put Gracie in bed, ‘will you buy me a house?’ ‘I saved for you and your brother darling, yes, we will always support in whatever you wanna do’ she smiled, ‘good’ Lucy chuckled, ‘who knows you might be a doctor like me, if you want sweetheart, and actually write the thesis, I got given mine’ they chuckled, ‘I’d like that’ kissing her head, ‘I love you Grace, we will always be there for you’ ‘thank you mum’ ‘no problem, want some Harry Potter?’ ‘please’ getting her to sleep, and heading for bed with John, ‘I’m in love with you’ ‘I’m in love wth you’ ‘we need to furnish that apartment tomorrow’ ‘we do’ John smiled, ‘but not until late’ ‘I’m so glad you still wanna get it on’ ‘always babe’ he grinned, ‘mutual, you are still the most attractive man, I’ve ever met’ he grinned, ‘most beautiful woman’ making love.

they lived happily.