Making Up.

Whoever She Is.

'Are you the local support?' John smiled at her, as she carried everything trying to pay for a ticket from all the cash she had got from people, 'ermm-' he grabbed her arm, her acoustic on her back and her bag of stuff in her bag, taking her through, she sighed, she orignial stuff, 'don't mind if it's acoustic do you?' 'course not!' John smiled, 'it's like five songs?' 'course, yeah' thinking of the five she would have, 'we were getting worried, cos no one has turned up' 'oh, well, I apologise, things got a little sidetracked and there was little communication' 'what's your name?' 'Lucy, but I use Ruby Tuesday' 'you're a stones fan?' 'I was raised by my English grandmother for a while' she had graduated and left, 'cool' John smiled, 'right, I ermm, just going to sort my set out, ok?' 'awesome'.

'Still Into You, Anklebiters, Now, One Of Those Crazy Girls' she smiled, 'just stuff I've written' he smiled, 'cool' she nodded, 'I was just wondering if I could cover one of yours, but I wanted to see your set list' he grinned, 'course' she smiled looking at the set, 'that's a good set' 'thanks' she nodded, 'ermm, right, cool I was thinking Whoever She Is, is that alright?' he smiled, 'perfectly fine with me' 'good, good' she nodded, 'I look forward to seeing that' 'you're staying?' 'I was hoping so?' 'cool, wanna join me for a song?' 'sure, if you want, I know most of these, what would you like to do?' 'what about Right Girl?' 'sure' he grinned, 'cool, I'd like that' 'nice, right, great' 'do you have EP's' 'not today, I sold out recently, getting new made soon' 'course, course, you need paying' 'oh, course, yeah later' 'excellent' as she headed into the green room there was a shower! quickly taking one, there was a washing machine, throwing all her clothes in the washer.

Lucy finished her set and got her things together, ‘you were fucking awesome!’ John smiled, ‘did you see that crowd’ ‘I’m sorry, it’s the biggest amount of people I’ve played in front of’ ‘you couldn’t tell darling’ John smiled, ‘all good?’ ‘excellent’ ‘now, Right Girl’ ‘I was thinking, I’ll take the second, hang in there in the chorus’ he grinned, ‘awesome, I like it’ ‘in the third, she came back, I like the verse though’ ‘how about you take the second and third and come in the final chorus?’ ‘I like it’ he grinned, ‘good’ he nodded, ‘I want that EP’ she laughed, ‘I will get it to you’ ‘Anklebiters, you had them singing it with you’ she smiled, ‘indeed, I saw’ she smiled, John grinned, ‘you’re a hidden treasure, Miss Tuesday’ ‘thank you’ she nodded, chatting to Pat about the Stones, being called the stage to headline, she fidgeted, come in striding her old Doc Martens singing with John, he grinned, ‘Ruby Tuesday people’ she curtsied, he grinned.

John smiled as she put the cash in her purse, ‘I can’t believe it wasn’t waiting for you’ ‘oh no problem’ she smiled, ‘you were awesome, you really were’ ‘thank you, it’s kind of you’ ‘and, Right Girl, I’d like to hear you again’ ‘hopefully, I’ll get the EP to you, have you got an email?’ ‘sure’ writing it down for her, ‘thank you, I’ll get it to you’ he grinned, ‘awesome’ heading for the door, ‘are you not joining us out?’ ‘oh, ermm, are you sure?’ ‘sure, free beers?’ ‘you had at me free?’ he grinned, ‘awesome’ heading out with them she drunk orange juice remembering every moment, John grinned at her, glad he had met the little blonde who took everything with her, ‘I better go’ she nodded, knowing it took 30 to get to the shelter from here, ‘ok, see you soon’ ‘see you’ heading out, ‘unusual girl’ ‘awesome though’ Gare added nodding, ‘I agree’.

Tim smiled as John bounced in on Monday, ‘great local support Tim’ ‘what?’ ‘what you organised?’ ‘I didn’t organise any?’ ‘but Lucy’ ‘I heard, you dragged her in’ ‘oh, my god no’ ‘I paid Jared his cash back cos apparently she was epic but I didn’t hire her’ ‘no, that’s mad, no wonder she was so surprised’ ‘I bet’ Tim grinned, ‘madman John’ ‘fuck’.

-x-

John smiled, ‘you’re hard to organise stuff with you know?’ ‘my phone sucks, I’m sorry, it’s old, I don’t care much for material things’ he smiled, ‘less stuff’ ‘yes’ remember she had a locker in the station, ‘so, EP’ she had spent half of the gig cash on recording an EP, passing him a copy on a USB, ‘it’s just cheaper digitally’ ‘course’ he grinned, ‘where do you live?’ ‘Tempe’ well the shelter and station were in Tempe, ‘cool’ he smiled, ‘you weren’t supposed to play that show?’ ‘I couldn’t resist even when you dragged me’ he grinned, ‘you took our money’ ‘and the crowd was ridiculous’ he smiled, ‘true’ he grinned getting her a coffee, ‘how old are you?’ ‘I’m 21’ ‘and you’re not in uni?’ ‘nope, wasn’t my style’ John nodded, ‘ok’ ‘I’d do philosophy if I did though’ he grinned, ‘I begun’ talking about Sartre and Rousseau over coffee.

John walked a little with her, ‘would you like a ride?’ ‘sure’ she smiled, ‘drop me off at Tempe station’ he smiled, ‘course, got a time?’ ‘yeah, about 11?’ ‘course’ he smiled, ‘so,good family?’ ‘growing up, yeah good’ she nodded, ‘do you come from Arizona?’ ‘no, I come from LA, Diamond Bar’ he smiled, ‘not like it?’ ‘as much as you do’ John laughed, ‘what inspired your EP’ driving out into the suburbs, ‘someone I knew in high school’ he smiled, ‘some guy’ ‘something’ he grinned, ‘very true’ he smiled at her, ‘you’re too good to do nothing with it you know?’ ‘I know, I’ve been playing bars and stuff, people made a facebook page for me, you know?’ he laughed, ‘and, I keep in touch on that now, posting dates, so now I have crazy girls and a big set’ ‘I wanna hear some time’ ‘sure’.

John dropped her off, ‘it was good to see you?’ ‘you should come to 8123?’ ‘hmm, sure’ ‘Tim is far from mad’ she laughed, ‘good’ John smiled kissing her cheek, she blushed, he grinned, ‘take care’ ‘you take care’ John chuckled, ‘come on white boy get on home’ ‘I’ll be listening to you all night’ ‘Ain’t It Fun a new one is on there too, you might like it’ he grinned, ‘I’m sure I will’ he grinned, ‘see you at 8123 on Monday’ ‘sure’ she smiled, letting him go she got her stuff and ran to the shelter getting bed, hugging her guitar to sleep, not wanting to be taken from her, she grinned at the memory.

'What's this?' Jared asked with a smile, 'it's Lu's EP, she recorded some stuff' 'sounds good?' 'it does' John smiled, 'I've kinda had it on a loop' John blushed, 'you like her a lot?' 'I do, a ridiculous amount' Jared grinned, 'good, she's pretty cool, odd lady but still' 'why?' 'she washed her clothes?' 'oh, it's cos she spilt coffee changing' 'makes sense' Jared nodded, 'anyway, I have to stop listening to her voice and head for bed' 'good point, glad your date?' 'sort of was and wasn't' Jared grinned, 'I've never seen you that awkward, night'.

-x-

Lucy took a breath and went in, John smiled, ‘you good?’ ‘excellent’ ‘come with me’ she smiled, ‘you know where you’re going?’ ‘excellent point’ laughing heading for the studio, she smiled, ‘this is awesome’ ‘Lucy!’ Pat hugging her, she smiled, ‘good to see you bud’ he grinned, ‘good to see you too’ chatting and catching up, sitting in the studio with them, ‘Lu sing with me?’ ‘sure, can I see what I sound like here?’ ‘go ahead’ she sighed, ‘I don’t know it’s an old one of mine, but it’s a good test song?’ ‘go for it’ singing Come Back Down, John wiped his eyes, ‘can you come back down, you two can ride your bikes, and dance and laugh and forget about such things as time’ she smiled softly finishing the song, everyone is crying, ‘you’re grown men people’ John chuckled, ‘manning up’ laughing a little, ‘that was beautiful’ squeezing her hand.

Lu worked with them a little, trying to keep out of the way, ‘so when do you put it on iTunes?’ ‘I don’t even know how you do that?’ ‘you need to join us!’ Pat grinned, ‘come with me, we’ll go talk to Tim’ walking with her, ‘you’d be great here, can I ask you something though?’ ‘go for it?’ ‘this is gonna sound bad, but are you homeless, I just notice you run out of things around the time shelter closes in Tempe’ she sighed, ‘I am indeed homeless, Patrick’ he laughed, ‘sorry, I don’t particularly want John to know, I don’t know’ ‘of course, that’s cool’ she smiled, ‘well, want me to help find you somewhere, I mean if people are hearing your music’ ‘that gig was the best thing to happen ever, it’s given me money but’ ‘of course, right, Tim, you have a spare room right?’ ‘I do, so?’ ‘Lucy, I want her on 8123’ ‘ok’ he grinned, sorting some forms out.

'Will you be ok?' 'fine!' she smiled, 'I need to be going soon?' 'really, stay with me darling, you can have the sofa' 'ok' working on stuff all night, Pat smiled, 'I'm glad' 'me too' 'good, Lu?' John smiled, 'sure, god I need a tea' 'pick some up' 'thank you' he grinned heading for the door, 'you and Pat get on' 'good guy' he smiled driving to his in Chandler, she checked she had cash, 'what are your plans tomorrow?' 'none until around 7, got a show at Moody's' he smiled, 'I need some space to write' 'round mine ok?' 'do you have a garden, I normally write at the beach park' he smiled, 'I do darling' she smiled, 'good' picking up some tea and heading to his, she made some, 'I'm glad you like me?' 'I do, definitely' kissing him softly, he grinned, 'good' kissing her deeply, 'were you jealous?' 'a little' she shook her head, 'mad' he grinned, 'good'.

John smiled at warm pancakes as she wrote in the morning Arizona sun on a chair in his shirt and underwear, he grinned, ‘nice view’ taking a picture, she smiled shading her eyes and looking at him, ‘when I’m on tour you can always come here darling, I’m in Europe soon’ ‘course’ ‘but if you would like to be here’ ‘would you mind?’ ‘course not’ he kissed her softly’ giving her a key on a chain, she smiled, ‘thank you’ he grinned, ‘no problem’ John sat her on his lap, ‘I was writing earlier, then realised you’d already written it’ he laughed, ‘sorry babe’ kissing her neck, ‘did you like the pancakes?’ ‘why do you think you have a key?’ they giggled, ‘what’s this?’ ‘breakout! breakout!’ he smiled, ‘sound good’ ‘I can imagine big drum beats and the guitars, it’s gonna be big, anthemic’ he grinned, ‘be on Warped’ ‘think that’s possible?’ ‘fuck yes’.

John smiled, ‘your show?’ ‘oh fuck yes’ ‘are you coming back here?’ ‘can I?’ ‘course’ he smiled, ‘I don’t know where the hell you go?’ ‘I’ll tell you one day’ he smiled, ‘ok’ kissing her heading for her show,watching her be awesome.

-x-

6 months later:-

'Lucy?' 'hmm?' 'you have so little stuff' 'I told material things don't mean much to me' she smiled, 'Lu, you gotta tell me?' 'unless you're not here, I'm kinda, well, hmm, I stay at the Homeless shelter' 'Lu! You should have told me!' John sighed looking at her, 'I'm more mad that I didn't know' she sighed, 'well, it didn't matter sometimes, cos I was on tour when you were sometimes anyway' she sighed, 'and also, you don't tour so much as some bands, so I was like out at max four weeks, Pat put me up and stuff a lot' 'Lu, you should have told me' 'well, I didn't wanna rely on you, it's why I begun paying the rent' John played with her hair, 'so how long were you homeless?' '3 years' 'fuck, how?' 'I had this boyfriend, so to speak' John grinned, 'fine' 'my parents disapproved when they found out and kicked me out, I hitchhiked here' 'madness' hugging her tight, 'no wonder you don't wanna meet them' 'hmm'.

John held her in bed, ‘I love you’ ‘I love you too’ snuggling into him, ‘I’m glad you have a home’ he grinned kissing her head, ‘me too, when I’m with I am’ he grinned, ‘should have expected that to be honest’ they giggled, ‘I love you, my honey bee’ she giggled, ‘so you’re my king bee, like to buzz round this tree’ straddling him, he smirked, ‘I’m glad you got that reference?’ ‘Tom Petty, with you and Jared how could I not?’ grabbing her butt removing her shirt, sucking on a nipple she moaned loudly, John grinned, ‘my turn’ he smirked making love all night, John held her falling asleep glad she was safe and sound sleeping next to him, waking up to pancakes like the first time, he grinned, ‘thank you’ ‘no problem’ writing in the garden, John put her on his lap, ‘so, missy, what are you writing now?’ ‘I don’t know’ he laughed, ‘you’ve got two EPs and album, you have to tour, don’t be greedy’ kissing her neck, ‘I like writing’ he grinned, ‘I know’ ‘I wrote with Joel too, it was cool, did a thing for the US tour’ ‘good’.

'Did you know?' 'I knew a long time ago, but she told me not to tell you' John nodded, 'mad' 'I know' Pat smiled, 'I didn't like the idea of being hurt, hear some stories' 'I would have cared more if I had known, god' 'well, she's good now, and on tour with Joel' '3 years though!' 'she now does shows for them annually to raise funds, good people' Pat smiled, 'I know, I just thought she was being nice' John sighed, 'mad' 'she's fine now, come on you're living together, share bills, chill' Pat smiled, 'true, have you heard the song her and Joel are doing?' 'I have, it's awesome, it's called, Hate To See Your Heartbreak' 'cool, upbeat?' 'it is actually, her and Joel sound awesome, you two do too' 'she's on the next record I think' 'fine with me, she'll be cool' 'she will' John smiled.

John smiled as she got in, getting back the week before, she sighed falling on the sofa, ‘good?’ ‘excellent, that Joel is a rascal’ John laughed, ‘Vegas never again’ ‘have you heard of your spring tour?’ ‘Tim said, Fall Out Boy, I nearly died, when I applied’ ‘you applied?’ ‘I did’ John looked at her, ‘but you’re supposed not to’ ‘but it’s Fall Out Boy’ he laughed, ‘Lu, you’re mad’ John grinned, ‘I know Tim is supposed to do his thing, and that’s cool, but I wanna play to loads of people, also, it kinda helps with the charity work I can do’ ‘what charity work?’ ‘I set up a charity for teens who run away, cos there’s not much support, so I’ve been working on that, not everyone gets a knight in shining armour’ he grinned, ‘good, fallout boy’ ‘don’t know why you’re complaining, you’re going too?’ ‘huh?’ ‘that’s the deal?’ John calling Tim getting a dumb grin on his face.

-x-

2 years later:-

John smiled in the garden as she wrote, kissing her neck, ‘it’s a gorgeous summer’ closing her eyes, ‘what’s this?’ ‘Southern Air?’ ‘I love this!’ he grinned, ‘really, I’ve nearly finished it’ ‘I like this, this is has to be the new album song’ he grinned, ‘Sick Little Games though’ ‘put ‘em both on, they’re both about the same place, your new record is gonna be awesome’ ‘thank you’ kissing his cheek, ‘it’s my third, I’m scared, I’ll be honest’ ‘really, why?’ ‘I don’t know, I just have hyped myself a bit’ he laughed, ‘darling, you have proven yourself - you don’t need to worry’ she smiled, ‘thank you’ ‘no need’ she nodded, ‘I love you, you are very important to me’ he grinned, ‘darling, I know that’ he grinned, ‘I love you too, you’re just as important to me darling, no one knows me like you do, you’re going to be wife’ she smiled, ‘really?’ ‘that’s my plan?’ he grinned kissing her cheek, ‘I will’ ‘I know, babe’ ‘bed now’ John chuckled.

John slid the ring on her finger as she got her breath back, ‘good?’ ‘excellent’ he grinned, ‘good, I need to please you forever’ ‘good to know’ kissing him deeply, she sat up, sliding a shirt on and panties, ‘John’ ‘hmm?’ ‘thank you’ ‘babe, you don’t need to thank me, things changed after Fall Out Boy, worked with Ryan Adams and all sorts’ ‘and, you didn’t change, made me love you more John’ ‘and you were just some fan who wanted to pay for a ticket’ she giggled, ‘yeah, was a little mad, I think you said I was hidden treasure’ she smiled, ‘kinda knew I wanted you then’ he grinned, ‘got what you wanted, and so did I, I’d been waiting such a long time’ ‘for someone to come along and untangle me, oh calamity!’ he grinned, ‘that’s such a beautiful song’ ‘I know’ kissing her, ‘I’m glad it’s not about you’ ‘me too’.

they lived happily.