Status: Comment, Subscribe, Recommend!

Fatal Attraction

Chapter Six.

Mourning. It plagues the halls of the high school. People who didn't even know her are filled with extreme sorrow, sad emotions written all over their faces. I try not to look anybody in the eye, fearing they'll see past my façade; that they'll see that I'm deeply sad about these events. I'm sad for Michelle because, although she was naivety at its finest, she was still a great person. Also, there is some selfishness in my grief.

I know what people are going to say; the ignorant adolescents in this school will tell me that I did this; that I'm attracted to death and that I'm linked to yet another dead person. Everybody knows that we lived together. Everybody knows that we're both foster kids. People will be shallow and claim that they know everything about the situation. Although, they're possibly a little right. We had a spat and she walked into the street by herself. It could possibly be all my fault.

I made it to my locker, avoiding all eyes. Everyone looks like a lost puppy at this moment. I'm sure they're all staring at me, searching for the answers that I don't hold. I don't know how to answer questions that I don't even have the answers to myself. I can't ask Michelle these burning questions because she's dead. I will be committing apostrophe if I do so. And, I am no work of fiction. I do not have literary devices attached to every word I say.

A body leaned on the locker next to mine as I was opening it. I looked at the floor to examine the shoes. The body was male. A female would not wear those shoes, tomboy or girly girl. Those are a guy's shoes. I lifted my eyes to peer into Tony's. He was all smiles today, obviously he hadn't heard the news. Even if he did, I wouldn't expect him to be filled with grief. A part of me was angry, though, angry at him. Michelle had brought him up and his style of dress, calling him "emo." But, I couldn't bring myself to blame him for Michelle's death, or anybody else. I could only blame myself.

"Is everybody always so down here?" He joked, flashing me a half smile. He brushed the hair from his eyes, never breaking eye contact with me. He held my attention, waiting for me to answer. I'm sure he was slightly curious as to why everybody is so "down" right now. I didn't know how to put it without being blunt.

"Somebody died," I explained bluntly, grabbing my books from my locker. I shut it, adjusting the strap of my bag on my shoulder. I watched Tony's face twist into alarm. He opened his mouth and closed it, processing what I had just said.

"Died? Who?" He asked, eyebrows arched in worry and inquisitiveness. Why should he be worried? Is he worried for me? He doesn't even know me. He shouldn't be worried about me, or anybody, but himself.

I started to walk away from him, calling over my shoulder, "My foster sister." I didn't turn to see his response, just kept walking. I could feel myself stepping on my sweatpants leg, but I didn't care. They were already old and fucked up, plus I had plenty more. I'd rather they be dirty than clean anyways.

"Hey, wait!" He jogged up next to me, "So what they say us true?"

I kept walking, "What?" If he's talking about me "attracting" death, he's going to be punched in the face.

"That you're an orphan."

"I'm not an orphan," I corrected, "My parents died. I got placed in foster care. I have foster parents. Orphans live in an orphanage, with tons of other kids, under the supervision of a nun or a pastor or some shit like that. Stereotypically, that is. I'm sure it's quite different than that."

"Well, you have tons of fake brothers and sisters."

"Yes. What's your point?"

"I don't know."

We walked in silence. He was breathing heavily, either a sign of nerves or he's just a heavy breather. I stopped in the middle of the hallway, something I'm against, and turned to him. Something in me softened as I spoke, "I hope you don't believe in the rumors that I... attract death. A lot of bad things have happened to good people in my life and some people think it's an omen or whatever. But, it's not true. Somebody can't attract death. Some people are just born into the wrong family, I guess." I kicked the air. These feelings, this sorrow for my life came flooding into me out of nowhere. I wanted Tony to like me. This was a first.

Tony smiled crookedly, "I'm not one to believe in rumors. There are rumors spreading in every school but I think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard." His laugh was enough to bring a small smile to my face. This was a sudden turn in events. One moment I'm sorrowful and the next I'm giddy. What happened to the girl who said she wouldn't get close to somebody else?

But, something just felt right about this. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I felt like something enchanting would happen soon. It probably wouldn't last but a girl can dream.

"Tony!" A shrill voice squeaked. Tony's features sagged slightly and his smile depleted. I felt kind of sorry for him. The popular kids always try to take the new kid under their wing and transform them.

I turned my head to see little miss Stephanie coming at us, determination in each step she took. Her glaring eyes bore into my very sole and I couldn't help but be delighted that she fixed all her negative attention on me; it's always a pleasure to see a person spend their precious time hating you when they could be doing something much more productive. But if they want to spend their time trying to make others miserable, then that's their business.

"Tony." Stephanie seemed out of breath by the time she reached us. She placed a possessive hand on his left shoulder and dug her freshly manicured nails into his skin. Tony winced slightly and bit his lip. He wasn't the kind of guy who stuck up for himself, at least, that's what I've gathered the whole day that I've talked to him.

Stephanie snarled in my direction, "Oh sweetie, you don't want to talk to this freak. You'll probably be the next one dead if you get too close."

Tony looked between me and her, then back to me before staring at this "queen." He licked his lips and took a deep breath, "Maybe that's a chance I'm willing to take." She shrugged out of her tightly hold and walked down the hall. Stephanie stared, mouth agape, at his figure as he disappeared around the corner. Her snarky gaze landed on me.

Before she could open her mouth, I butted in, "I don't see why you're investing time in somebody who doesn't seem to want anything to do with you."

Stephanie narrowed her eyes, flicking her blonde hair over her shoulder, "Im trying to help a lost soul. Nobody should have to go through life looking through that. There's already enough freaks in this school anyways." She looked me up and down, lips curled like a dog.

I scoffed and retorted, "What, are you worried that he's going to turn out dead if he "gets too close to me"? Or, are you just trying to get him to like you so you can get in his pants? He's clearly uninterested, so why try?"

"Because in the end I will succeed."

"Or you can die, like everybody else around me." I turned and stalked down the hall. I was at the end of my rope, not just with that blonde bimbo, but with everybody. This newfound anger was boiling up inside of me, and, it was ready to be unleashed. Somebody may get their ego deflated when I'm done with them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter will most likely be in Tony's POV, with a guest ;)

LucyTheLion,
dizzydreamer2000


Comment, subscribe, recommend?

Sorry this update was postponed a couple of weeks. I've been busy, having just taken my first AP exam Thursday, an exam in the class I'm most terrible in. Lets just say, it did not go over well. But anyways, sorry for my absence. Hopefully a new chapter coming next week!

Also, I'm thinking of starting another fan fiction featuring Oli Sykes of Bring Me The Horizon. It's be sent in mental asylum. Would any of you read it? Let me know in the comments!