‹ Prequel: Sick of Me
Status: Starting off slowly -- the story isn't all together yet, just in lots of vignettes so far.

Nuclear Family

St. Jimmy

Are you talking to me?!
I’ll give you something to cry about.


New York City was just as Grace remembered it being, except this time both of her children were actually excited to be there. The family, along with Rita's band mates, sat in the audience of the St. James Theatre, waiting for American Idiot to begin. They had seen it countless times, but it got better and better with every show.

"Mom, it's getting kind of annoying now…" Rita Mae sighed a bit, adjusting her dark purple, self-made beanie against her head as she tried to ignore the strangers around her.

People had been taking pictures and asking for autographs the entire time the three had tried to get into the theatre, and Rita rarely obliged unless it was for someone she recognized from past events or a boy she thought was attractive.

"Well, it's what comes along with your dad so you're stuck with it."

Jack was rather indifferent to the whole thing, but then again he was indifferent a lot of the time. Any time he was approached, he merely shrugged and offered a Billie-esque smile, scribbling his name on whatever the fan offered and posing for a picture if he was asked politely. Billie Joe had told his children that if people shouted and yelled their names, then they should just ignore it and keep going, so they did as they were told.

"Plus, if you're extra nice, they'll go to our show and actually watch us." Drew wore a huge smile on his face that reached his eyes, glad that he was being involved in such a huge thing.

Rita Mae sat through the beginning of the show, watching intently as John Gallagher Jr., Michael Esper, and Stark Sands performed with such a passion that it made even her smile. She remembered the fact that her father had hand chosen Johnny Gallagher because they had both loved his performance in Spring Awakening.

The teenager felt the atmosphere in the St. James change dramatically during the moments before St. Jimmy would appear; the kick pedal of the drum kit was beating loudly, the audience was clapping in time, and there was a sense of anticipation that made her chest swell with excitement.

"Coming at you on the count of one, two…" Johnny sang, and then Rita Mae looked up to the top of the stage where Billie Joe would surely appear.

"ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!!!!!"

Billie's voice rang out through the theatre, eliciting screams, applause, and whistles from everyone in attendance. The girl couldn't help but smile as she nudged her brother, who grinned in return and gave a thumbs up. They always enjoyed watching their father take on the role of St. Jimmy, no matter what was going on with their relationship at home.

"He's gonna go crazy tonight, just you wait." Rita said to Jack, who let out a chuckle.

"Would you two knock it off? I paid good money to see this…"

A girl in the row behind them hissed, and Rita immediately turned around, shooting the plump brunette in her mid-twenties a glare. The younger girl watched a look of realization flash across the offender's face, not knowing whether to be glad or annoyed when she apologized fervently.

"Oh shit, I just yelled at Billie Joe's kids… Shoot me now."

Rita rolled her eyes as she heard the girl telling her friend or whoever she was next to, thinking it was weird how everyone spoke about her father as if they knew him personally, but she quickly refocused on the show in front of her.

Rita Mae had always thought the world of her father's music career, but she never let it get in the way of him being Dad. Since she grew up surrounded by his music, she loved it to no end and would fiercely protect him when kids at school told her that her father had 'sold out.'

Over the years, Rita had gotten into verbal and physical fights with classmates, only once resulting in her being suspended from school. She had no problem throwing down to protect her father's name, or anyone else's for that matter.

Grace took a moment to turn her attention from the musical over to her children, who were watching intently like they always did, and they both wore similar smiles on their faces. She knew that they weren't into plays and Broadway, but the two absolutely loved American Idiot. Even though Rita gave Billie Joe grief about the musical, the girl loved it.

The cast was killing it tonight, like they did every night. Personally, Grace loved the actors that had been chosen for the musical, but she helped pick a few of the cast members throughout the process. Michael Esper had been her choice and she had been extremely adamant in having him cast as Will.

Grace had seen the young lady in the row behind them shush her children, and had to hold back a chuckle when the woman realized that she had told off the kids of the man who was playing St. Jimmy.

She knew how her children were treated compared to her friends' kids, but she trusted the fact that she and Billie had raised them well enough to be able to handle anything that came their way.

Jack wasn't fazed by much of the attention he received, but Rita Mae was different.
Sometimes she actually sought out attention and craved the spotlight like Billie Joe, but every once in a while the girl would become a complete recluse.

Grace hoped that this gig tonight after the musical would help Rita's confidence, seeing as Billie Joe had asked her and the boys to open for the Foxboro Hot Tubs.

When the musical ended, Grace lead her kids backstage so she could talk to Billie about what they were doing next.

"I'm gonna talk to Dad. You kids stick back here; don't wander, Jackson." Grace warned her son in particular, who nodded before walking off with his hands in his pockets.

Rita Mae glanced around furtively, trying to find Johnny Gallagher. Once she spotted him, she told Drew, Matt, and Logan to talk to Libby Winters or another pretty actress, then she flitted off in the actor's direction.

"Johnny!" Rita called with a smile, catching his attention. He stopped walking towards the side door, flashing her a grin.

"Lovely Rita!" Johnny picked her up in a hug, saying that it had been a while since he had seen her.

"Dad asked me and the guys to open for Foxboro, so we made the trip out here." She shrugged once he put her down, trying to be nonchalant.

"No way! That's awesome, girlie! Hey, let me go get something from the dressing room.. I got a surprise for you!"

Rita watched as he quickly disappeared, then she looked over to Drew, who was eyeing her suspiciously.

When he returned, Johnny had his hands behind his back and made Rita Mae close her eyes and hold out her hands. She felt a soft material fill her hands, and she opened her eyes to find a mass of white fabric. The girl unrolled the fabric and found an off the shoulder shirt that said Lovely Rita on it in large, black type.

Johnny had decided that was her nickname because of their fondness of the Beatles. Billie Joe had been jealous that he hadn't thought of it, but Rita would always be his baby doll.

"This is awesome, Johnny! I'll wear it during the set tonight!" She gave him a huge hug before throwing it over her shoulder.

"Billie invited me to that, actually. Maybe I'll go now." Johnny flashed her another huge smile before excusing himself and heading off to talk to a few other cast members.

"Someone's infatuated with an older man, I see." Drew raised his eyebrows in a teasing manner as soon as Rita had rejoined her friends. Logan and Matt merely chuckled, then continued their own conversation.

"He's only ten years older! And shut up, Drew. You're the one with pictures of Katy Perry plastered all over your walls." She laughed as Drew's face turned bright red, so she continued to torture him. "I don't know why you didn't come with me to her concert. She's really nice in person. Totally flawless."

Drew had blown her off when she had tickets to Katy's concert over the summer, so she went with her father and got to go backstage. Normally, Rita tried not to use Billie Joe's name or status to get anything, but she had been infuriated that Drew had ditched her at the last minute.

"Quit being a bitch, Mae." Drew snapped at her, his blue eyes staring her down with an intensity that made her feel uneasy.

"Then don't be an asshole about Johnny. He's nice to me, so what? Not very many people our age are."

Billie Joe had appeared just in time to hear the end of his daughter's conversation with her best friend, and he felt a pang in his chest. It wasn't guilt or pity, he knew that, but he couldn't place it either.

He went up behind the girl, wrapping his arms around her in a tight hug and kissing the top of her head affectionately.

"Jack and I got you guys a present for your big night, Mae. It's all at the venue, and we gotta get over there soon. Mom and Jack are on their way there now."

He grabbed her hands and pulled her out toward the doors to exit, motioning for Drew, Logan, and Matt to follow. Normally they left out the side door rather than the one Billie Joe went out to sign autographs for fans that were waiting against railing. But tonight was different, and Billie wanted to make sure of that.

When Rita walked out through the main doors beside her father, she was nearly blinded by flashing cameras. There were probably over a hundred people there, and the buzz of voices was taking over the girl's thoughts, making her feel like she was going to have a panic attack.

"Put on that beautiful smile of yours, baby doll. A lot of these people probably know about Milford Men."

Billie's voice drowned out the buzzing, comforting her beyond belief. Rita looked up at him, giving him a bright smile and hugging him tightly before letting him lead the short walk to the black SUV waiting for them on the curb. He saw that she was panicking before he spoke to her; he knew that feeling all too well, and was glad that he could calm his little girl down.

"Billie Joe!"

"Rita Mae!"

"It's the rest of Milford Men!"

It was almost too much for Rita, who was trying her best to take pictures with people and sign anything they handed her. Somehow she ended up with someone's Sharpie, but she merely handed it to the next person she came across. She moved with Drew like it was second nature, and they were flanked by Matt and Logan, while Billie Joe lead the way.

Feeling the nerves radiating off of her, Drew slung an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close, and she immediately relaxed.

"Thanks, Drew." Her voice was above a whisper and could've been drowned out by everyone around them, but he heard her nonetheless.

"You don't have to thank me, Mae. Let's put on a killer show tonight." Drew winked at her, laughing when she flashed him a bright smile.

---

At Webster Hall, Billie Joe surprised his daughter's band with an onslaught of merchandise. Jack had drawn up a few designs and they had picked the two best, then had shirts and stickers printed up.

"I'm gonna man the merch table until your set is over. Then you guys can take over if you want." Jack smiled at his sister proudly after she complimented his talents and gave him a huge hug.

"You're seriously the best, Dange." Rita then looked to Billie Joe, flashing him a bright smile before wrapping her arms around him tightly.

"Thanks Dad. This means so much to me."

"I know, baby doll. I'll be watching you up there, so give 'em all you've got."

Those words meant the world to her, especially since they were coming from her father.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update, finally! I saw Billie Joe and the rest of the gang on Easter and needless to say it was amazing. :)
Read, rec and leave a comment! Don't be shy.