Status: updates will be slow, don't say i didn't warn you xoxo

High Tide

bet on it

Jona looked down at the sleeping face of his best friend. Kelly’s head was resting on his shoulder, her mouth was hanging wide open and she was snoring just slightly. Jona couldn’t help but smile at her, and he shifted his weight a little in his seat so that her head wasn’t at such an odd angle and her neck wouldn’t get too sore. He turned his attention back to the movie playing on the screen in the back of his seat and tried not to think about the six hours still left of their flight.

“Oi, mate, I think we’re the only two still awake.”

Jona looked to his right, where Matt was fidgeting uncomfortably in his seat, flipping through pictures of Jamie on his phone. He sighed and dropped his phone in his lap, meeting Jona’s eyes.

“I can’t sleep, Jona. I keep worryin’ about Becca and Jamie,” Matt said, sighing.

“You know they’ll be fine, Matt. They’re only a phone call away,” Jona said, reassuring the drummer. “I miss em too, you know. She is my sister.”

Jona got frustrated with Matt sometimes, because he acted like he was the only person in the world who missed Becca and Jamie when they went on tour. Sure, he could understand what it felt like to leave your loved ones at home, but they were his family, too, you know? Jona felt sort of bad when he got frustrated at Matt like that, but he just missed the old times on tour, when Matt was the life of the party every night, instead of a sopping mess that never left his bunk.

“We gotta party on this tour, man. Like old times,” Jona said, nudging his friend in the shoulder.

“I just don’t think I’ll feel like it. Especially the first few days. That’s when it’s the worst…” Matt trailed off.

“Look, I know my sister, and if she could see you like this she’d be fucking pissed, okay? She wants you to have a good time on tour making music with your friends and doing what you love. Not moping around in your bunk hating life.”

Matt smiled slightly and shrugged. “I guess you’re right,” he said. “First round on me once we land?”

“I’ll hold you to it,” Jona said with a grin, holding up his fist to bump it with Matt’s. The small movement stirred Kelly awake and she groaned, wrapping her arm around Jona’s torso and snuggling into his chest. He laughed and wrapped his arms around her, closing his eyes to settle in for a nap for the remaining few hours of the long flight.

*

The first day of Warped tour was always the longest. Long waits for luggage and equipment, long waits for the tour bus to arrive, long waits in the catering lines and long waits for set times to come back to the bands. Kelly was keeping herself busy, picking up all the stuff she needed and piling it into the back of the van they’d hired especially for merch. Box after box of Bring Me The Horizon merch along with Drop Dead products were stacked in the back of the van already, along with the tent kits she’d need. She was going to be especially busy this year, as it was the first year she’d be running two different tents at the same time. Thank goodness they’d be side by side. Kelly only wished Becca could be there to help her with merch as she usually did, but she’d do fine on her own as well. She’d grown used to it over the past few years. She knew she wouldn’t really be alone, as Tom would be helping her out, but it sure felt that way without Becca around.

“You got the last few boxes of drop dead stuff?” Kelly asked Tom, who was awkwardly making his way towards the van carrying three boxes.

“Yeah, these are the last ones! You got the keys?”

“You bet! Chuck those in the back and let’s get this show on the road,” Kelly said, getting into the van and putting the keys into the ignition. Tom finished packing the van and shut the back doors before walking around to the front to get in the passenger’s seat beside Kelly.

Kelly put the van in drive and made her way across the expansive grounds towards the section they’d been told they could set up their tents. Numerous tents had already been set up and Kelly drove slowly, trying her best not to take out any people on her way. They finally made it to an area marked by bright pink spray paint that stood out on the grass. Tom double-checked the information sheet they’d been given to make sure they were in the right spot.

The two got to work unloading the van, tents first. It was already sweltering hot and it was only 6am. Tom got the tents up faster than expected and Kelly got to work setting up merch displays and folding tables and chairs. She was sweaty and worn out by the end of it, but knew she’d be so used to it by the end of the tour that it would be nothing. After just over an hour, everything was ready, and Tom and Kelly finally had a second to sit down and have a few drinks before gates opened and people started flooding the grounds, eager to see their favourite bands.

“Do a shot for good luck?” Kelly suggested, reaching for the flask in her back jean’s pocket.

“Jesus fucking Christ, Kelly. You’re a maniac,” Tom said. He nodded, though, and reached for a few of the Drop Dead shot glasses that they were supposed to be selling.

“I’m sure Oli won’t mind if we borrow these,” he said with a cheeky smile, handing them to Kelly, who filled both shot glasses.

“Oi, can I cut in on this deal?”

Kelly turned to see Jona leaning over the table, a huge grin on his face. “You have a show to play, Mister,” Kelly said.

“Yeah, and you have merch to sell. Hand me the fucking flask, Veneziano!” Jona replied. Kelly laughed and handed it over, rolling her eyes in the process. He took a quick swig and grimaced.

“Jesus, Kelly! What the fuck is this?” Jona exclaimed.

Probably better if you don’t know,” she said with a wink, downing her own shot. Tom downed his a second later and almost puked all over the table.

“Hate to tell you this, mate, but you’ve got a problem,” Jona said, throwing the flask back to Kelly. She caught it in one hand and looked down at it, the hint of a smile playing on her lips.

“Y’all drink to enjoy it,” she said, “I drink to die.”

The two men were silent for a moment, not quite sure how to react, before Tom, being his inappropriate self, just sighed and said “well, fuck.” Jona and Kelly laughed, and the weird tension was cut.

“You know what time you guys play today yet?” Kelly asked Jona, attempting conversation in the hopes that he’d forget her earlier comment (which of course she already knew he wouldn’t).

“Not on til late this afternoon. Around five or six, I think,” he replied.

“Well, if you get bored, we could always use some help here,” Kelly said.

“I wouldn’t want to inconvenience you by causing a riot,” Jona said, a joking tone in his voice. He smiled at Kelly and she just shook her head in response.

“It’d probably increase business, you know. People would stop for a picture with you, and then, with my amazing charm and quick wit, they’d leave with quite a nice amount of merch and a lighter wallet,” Kelly said.

“You really are something else, you know that?” Jona said with a smile, poking her nose. She scrunched up her face in response, causing Jona to laugh loudly.

“I might see you later, punk,” he said in leaving, ruffling her hair.

“I saw that,” Tom said, as soon as Jona was out of ear shot.

“Saw what?” Kelly said, defensive immediately.

“You like him.”

“I also like ice-cream. What’s your point?”

Tom just laughed and shook his head.

“Fifty bucks says you’re together before the end of this tour,” he challenged her.

“You’re on.”
♠ ♠ ♠
it's really shit but it's 3am here so shut the fuck up kelly ok and give me asitd xoxo
oh hi hello other person that commented on this story i updated r u happy pls ignore my stupid author's notes because basically its just me annoying kelly ok bye