I'll Travel the Universe

Half an hour.

"Hazel!"

Her mother screamed for her, trying to round up her 3 children. But Hazel didn't come out. She's sat in the closet, fearing for her life. Her mother sighed, telling her older brother James to go outside with their father. Her mother's footsteps grow closer to Hazel, already knowing where her youngest child is hiding. Hazel always hides in the same closet. Her mother opens the door quickly.

"Hazel, get up now! We have to go!" She yelled, tears streaming down her face. Hazel reluctantly got up from the floor of the closet and followed her mom out the back door. A noise that sounded like screeching and groaning got her attention and she stopped. Hazel stared as a blue Police call box manifested in front of her. Air blew her blonde hair back as she stared at the box with wide eyes. Her mother had stopped to stare too. Hazel watched as man with a light brown coat, black pants, suspenders, and a red bow tie stepped out of the blue box. He grinned and looked between her and her mother.

"Anyone call for a Doctor?"

Hazel watched the man with wide eyes, and was too astonished by the weird occurrence to talk. She stared and the man stared back at her. Hazel tried to look away, but she couldn't. Well, she looked away when she passed out.



"When is she going to wake up? What am I going to do with a passed out child?" The Doctor mumbled to himself, pacing back and forth in the TARDIS, standing in front of Hazel. She groaned as she stared to wake. The Doctor stopped pacing quickly and crouched down in front of Hazel with a wide smile spread across his face, happy to see she was going to be okay. She hit her head hard when she fell.

"Where am I?" Hazel asked, opening her eyes and sitting up. To the Doctor's surprise, she looked completely relaxed as she looked around the TARDIS. Her eyes landed on his and he stared into her deep blue eyes.

"You are in the TARDIS," He said, sitting on the floor next to her. She glanced up at the control panel, and just about everywhere she could from her position on the floor. She looked at him.

"Your accent is funny," She said, tilting her head to she side with a slight smile. The Doctor smiled.

"Well, to me, your accent is funny," He said. She shrugged and took another glance around.

"Are you an alien?" Her question didn't really throw him off guard, just slightly surprised him at how quick the question came out of her mouth.

"To me, you're the alien. But to you, yes I am," He answered her. Hazel nodded. He was astonished at how well she was taking this. Considering she did pass out when he first got to her home. He looked at the small smile she had on her face, and his heart broke. He didn't want to tell her the bad news he had. That smile would leave, and it wouldn't warm his heart anymore. Lately, it's what he needed. Someone to warm his heart.

"What's your name?" The Doctor asked her. She pushed her hair back from her face and smiled.

"Hazel," She answered.

"Hazel what?"

She grinned. "I've always been told not to tell a stranger my last name."

The Doctor smiled, then thought once again about what he had to tell her, and his smile fell. She looked at him with curious eyes, wondering why his mood changed so suddenly.

"Hazel… I need to tell you something," He said. She pulled her knees into a criss-cross position and tilted her head to the side like her dog used to do when he was curious.

"What is it?"

The Doctor sighed. "Hazel… Your parents are dead. The.. The Cybermen got to them before I could save them. But, I promised them I would protect you."

Tears swelled into Hazel's blue eyes. She shook her head, not believing this mad man. He was mad.

"No. No. They're not dead! I just.. I just saw them! We were leaving! We were.. We were going to leave town!" She exclaimed, getting up from the floor, tears streaming down her face. The Doctor got up quickly and looked down at the girl.

"I.. I know. But, that was actually a few hours ago. You've been passed out, in here. I promised to protect you, so that's what I did. I'm not sure what happened to your brothers, but you've been in here. Completely safe," He said. Hazel sobbed and ran into the Doctor's arms. She had no idea who this mad man was, and this mad man had no idea who this small 10 year old girl was, but they trusted each other. She felt safe, and warm, but scared at the same time. The Doctor pulled the crying child away from him and leaned down to get more at her level.

"Hazel, how would you like to come with me? I promised to protect you, and protect you I will," He said smiling, his hands on her shoulders. She didn't stop crying, but nodded to his question. He walked with her out of the TARDIS.

"Go get what you would like. I'll be back in half an hour. Exactly. I have things that need to be taken care of quickly, okay?" the Doctor said, smiling at Hazel. She sniffled, wiped her nose on her hand, and nodded. Hazel ran off into her home, trusting the mad man with the blue box.


(Hazel's P.O.V)

As I drove home, I thought about the manikin I saw today in the department store, and remembered the bow tie. The red bow tie. The mad man in the box had the same bow tie. Not a day has gone by that I hadn't thought about that mad man. His brown hair. His big eyes. His big nose. I chuckled to myself as I remembered how big his nose was. I remember every last detail of the man. The gorges man who saved me. My angel.

Whenever I would try to tell people about what happened, they all called me crazy. I had just about no friends. I had three. Not even really good ones. They know nothing about my mad man. Only rumors that I'm crazy, and I told them I honestly made it up as a child to get attention for my parents death. So, they felt bad for me and are now my friends. I wish I could tell them though. Tell them all about my mad man. My alien. How gorges he was. How sexy. How… How much he was standing in my front door as I pulled into my drive way. My eyes went wide as I parked my car. I quickly, and not so gracefully, untangled myself from my seat belt, and hurried out of my car without turning it off for chatting the door. He stared at me curiously as I looked at him, examining him. Walking circles around him, making sure this wasn't just me imaging someone as him again. I pinched his arm to make sure.

"Ouch! What was that for?" He exclaimed. The accent. The voice. It had to be him. My mad man!

"Is it you? Really… Truly you?" I whispered, staring wide eyed and open mouthed at him.

"Who? I'm the Doctor. Who are you?" He asked, giving me a weird look. I grinned at him.

"I don't give my last name out to strangers," I said. I watched as a look of realization appeared on his face. His eyes wide.

"You know Hazel? Where is she?" My smile faltered and I sighed. He didn't know it was me.

"You really don't realize, do you?" I mumbled. He looked at me curiously.

"Realize what?"

"I'm Hazel. It's been 9 years."
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback?