A Pirate's Life for Me

Trousers

“Here’s yeh breakfast and clean clothes,” a man offered, sliding both bundles through the cell door. He wore a yellow bandana and looked much younger than the men I had encountered the night before.

“I’m Ben by the way.”

“Grace,” I nodded. The food looked halfway decent. I prodded it at it a moment before inspecting the clothes. Ben had given me a tunic and brown slacks.

“I can’t wear this!” I protested. “I’m a lady!”

“Take it or leave it, ma’am.” Ben shrugged. “I’ll be back in five minutes to let yeh out, but it’d be best if yeh changed.”

Ben left me fuming over the prospect of having to wear trousers. I decided to change anyway because my gown was heavy and extremely uncomfortable. I just finished my breakfast by the time Ben returned. He swung the door open. I trudged up the stairs and onto the deck. The crew was hard at work on the ship. Ben stood behind me and handed me a mop and bucket.

“Best put yeh teh work. Welcome aboard The Seeker, Grace.”

Ben wandered off. I dropped the bucket on the ground and put my hands on my hips.

“What the bloody hell is going on?” I said to myself. I rolled my eyes and began sloshing water about with the mop. I looked up and saw the captain standing at the highest point of the deck, overlooking his crew. There was something off about him. He gave a regal air yet seemed incredibly mysterious. I kept an eye on him throughout the next several hours. He never spoke to a single person, only occasionally nodding. I wondered if he would even answer me if I asked why I was there.