Sequel: The Pain Of Love.
Status: The end is near!

You're Automatic.

The Beginning.

I finally tore my concentrating gaze from my homework to the clock across the room. The bright red numbers told me it was just after 3am, and an exasperated groan escaped my throat. I ran a hand through my frazzled hair, as it seemed to reflect how my brain felt. I yawned and rubbed my blue eyes before glancing over the my paper for my English class. I shook my head, unhappy with the little I had gotten done but mildly content with what I had written. It was only Friday but I hated leaving my homework for the last minute, even though it's what I did for just about everything else.

"Hey, Amanda, how about you turn off the light and go to bed? Not all of us are nocturnal, you know." My brother poked his head out from under his pillow, squinting his blue eyes at the light.

I stifled a giggle, "Sorry, Skye." I shut off my desk lamp and stumbled to my bed, trying to see through the thick darkness. I laid down and pulled my blankets up to my chin, yawning again. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I stared at the ceiling and pulled at a loose string on my blanket. "Hey Skye?"

It was quiet for a second before I heard rustling in his bed. "Yeah?"

I rolled onto my side and looked at him, curling into a ball. "Can we go shopping tomorrow? We need some groceries, but I just want to get out for a while."

I watched his silhouette push the hair from his face as he chuckled before his face was back in his pillow. He said something, but I couldn't understand it through his pillow. "Sorry, didn't catch that. Mind repeating it?" I tried not to laugh, but a giggle passed my lips. I gasped as a dark blob flew through the air at my face, then laughed as it hit me. "Hey, don't throw your pillow at me, mister."

He chuckled and reached blindly for it. "I said 'I guess so,' but we'll have to go early since I have plans." He took the pillow when I handed it to him. His bed rustled again before things went quiet.
"Thank you," I whispered, though I could hear his light snoring. He mumbled something indistinctly and I smiled, nuzzling my face into my pillow before drifting off into my own sleep.

I hesitantly opened my eyes at the sun pouring in, staying up so late making me want to just shut my eyes again. I sighed and forced myself into a sitting position, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I glanced over at Skye's empty bed, not surprised he was gone since he was such a morning person. I grabbed an outfit for the day and headed for the bathroom, pausing outside the door to holler for Skye. I got no reply and the house was silent, so I went to take a shower.

When I got out, I looked at the clock back in the room and frowned. It was after noon, and I wondered if he had already left to go through with the plans he mentioned or if he had just forgotten shopping with me in a half-asleep daze. I pulled at the bottom of my black Green Day shirt, debating on finishing my homework or going out like I wanted to. I walked over to my desk and looked at the paper before making my decision. "I'll go out. I have all tonight and tomorrow to finish this," I said to myself with a nod. I stood at the mirror in the room as I brushed my hair and applied my eyeliner, humming quietly to a song I couldn't name that was stuck in my head. I smiled at my reflection when it was to my liking, then searched the room from my phone and wallet. When I finally found them, I pulled on my custom converse. I chuckled in nostalgia at the writing and doodles on the white rubber before heading out of the house.

I enjoyed where I lived, close enough to walk to school and not far enough to make a walk to a strip mall uncomfortable. There was a cool breeze that made me pull my hoodie closer, but it wasn't enough to really chill me much. As I arrived at the strip mall, the first thing to jump out at me being the Target since I needed to buy groceries. I walked into the building and grabbed a cart, hoping to get through this part of the day and hopefully text Skye to hopefully get him to meet me somewhere nearby.I hardly had anything in the cart other than my skeleton hobo bag before I spotted my weakness out of the corner of my eye, the smell of coffee calling my name.
I pushed the cart toward the Starbucks and left it by a table so I could order a drink and quickly get back to my task. I ordered my drink and stepped aside so the guy behind me could give his order. I waited patiently, watching the guy make my coffee before handing it to me with a polite smile. I stepped back and opened the lid, pouring a small shot of creamer in and giving a side glance to the guy who'd ordered after me waiting for this drinks; he was pretty cute. I bit my lip and let my hair fall over my face to hide the blush when his eyes caught mine. My hair parted enough for me to see him smile faintly at me before his name was called and he went to gather his drinks. I watched him in my peripherals as I walked back toward my cart, then refocused my gaze just in time to see someone walk off with it.

My jaw dropped and a squeak escaped my throat as I tried to run to catch the man who had made off with my cart and, more importantly, my bag. I yelped as I pulled an all-too-usual klutz move, tripping over my own feet and watching my coffee soar through the air only to his the floor and making a huge mess of hot coffee. "No... No, no, no," I mumbled, still sprawled on the ground, as I buried my face in my arm.

I wanted to shrink down until I disappeared as one of the Starbucks workers came over with a mop. "I'm so sorry," I muttered as the embarrassment made me turn the deepest shade of red, despite how he insisted that it was alright. My eyes wandered over to the cute guy who had ordered after me and, sure enough, he was staring at me. Great, not only had I publicly humiliated myself but my things had just be stolen. I let my head fall back down on the linoleum floor and hoped that I would wake up and this would just be a stupid nightmare.

"Are you alright?"
♠ ♠ ♠
started this sometime back. this is the rewrite, the improved version. i hope you enjoy. (:

comment, sub, rec?