Status: Slowly but surely

Peewee Hockey

Chapter One.

“Hurry up, Megan! You’re going to make me late!” Jason whined from the bottom of the stairs.

“I’m coming! Just get in the car” I groaned as I got my boots on and wrapped my black scarf around my neck. Having parents that work full time really sucks when you have a little brother who has hockey practice every day after school. <i>Whatever.<i/>

I grabbed my purse and when I sat in the front seat I could feel Jason’s death glare from behind me.

“Stop giving me that look or we can go back inside” I threatened as I started the car and didn’t even bother to look back at him. I heard him sigh and when I looked in the rearview mirror I saw him slumping in his seat.

“Hey, cheer up, bub.” I smiled, reaching back and tickling his knee. He squirmed and smacked my hand away.

“Stop it!” He whined and crossed his arms, pouting a little bit.

“Okay, what’s wrong?” I sighed and turned around to look at him.

“It’s not fair that mom and dad never come to my games! Everyone else’s parents are there for every game but mom and dad never show up!” he blurted out and I could tell how upset he really was by the way his voice shaked. I sighed sadly and looked up at his eyes and see their getting teary.

“I know it’s not fair, but they have really important jobs, Jase. And you have me. Doesn’t that count for anything?” I pouted playfully. Jason just sighed and turned his body to face the window. I took the hint and I turned back to the steering wheel. The drive to the arena was silent except for the times I tried to sing. Keyword, <i>try.</i> Jason still wouldn’t cheer up so after that I kinda gave up. I pulled into the parking lot of the local arena and it was unusually full today. We had to park in the back which made Jason even more miserable.

He jumped out of the car as soon as I put it in park and lugged his hockey bag over his shoulder. I sighed as I followed him in only to be unpleasantly surprised by a huge crowd of people, mainly screaming teenage girls.

I maneuvered my way through the packed concourse and finally made it to the snack stand. I got my usual, a soda and a piece of pizza before struggling to make my way to the stands. As I’m walking I hear the screams get a little louder and next thing I know, I’m wearing my soda on my shirt.

“You’ve got to be kidding me?” I snap frustrated.

“I’m so sorry!” a deep voice quickly apologizes. I glare up at him but my glare immediately softens when I look into those deep blue eyes.

“I-Um.. It’s fine” I sigh a little and turn on my heel to go grab some napkins.

“Wait!” I hear him call after me as I make my way back. I glance back at him but keep walking as I feel my face getting a little flushed with redness.

“I-I have an extra shirt in my car if you need it!” he blurts out and I look up to him confused. I catch myself looking over his chest and my eyes widen a little before I quickly look away.

“It would be too big” I sigh as I dab at my shirt with the napkin. Of course out of all days to spill a soda on me it has to be the day I wear white.

I groan when nothing will come out and I give in. “Okay, I’ll take the shirt” I sigh. I follow him out to his car, which looks brand new and this guy barely looks like he’s twenty one. Must have rich parents…

“Thanks” I blush a little.

“No problem” he says extending his hand. “I’m Jordan” he smiles, a cheesy gap-toothed smile.

“Megan” I smile a little as I shake his hand.

“Well, Megan. Would you like to sit together?” he asked and I looked up shocked.

“U-um, yeah sure. I just need to change really fast” I nod and we walk inside together. I go into the ladies room and into the stall. What’s going on? This beautiful guy gives me his shirt and now wants to sit with me to watch my brother’s game? Is this a joke or a dream?