‹ Prequel: Poison and Wine

Come What May

Answers

xxHaileyxx

“Mom, Dad,” Hailey whispered, walking into her parent’s bedroom. They had decided to sleep for a little bit before heading to the department later. Her father stirred and slowly sat up.

“Issit time?” he grumbled, rubbing at his eyes.

“Yeah, Scott just called saying Deaton landed a few minutes ago. By the time everyone gets to the department he’ll be there,” she said and he nodded.

“Can you wake your brother?” he asked and she nodded. She turned to go down the hallway and pushed Aaron’s door open. He was sprawled out on his stomach in the middle of the bed and she had to stop herself from laughing.

“Hey bud,” she whispered, gently shaking his shoulders. “We’ve gotta get going.”

“Already?” he groaned, not moving.

“Yupp, come on,” she said, looking up when she heard footsteps. Derek stood in the doorway to Aaron’s room, arms crossed. Hailey sighed and stood up. “Could you?”

“Yeah,” he whispered with a nod. He crossed the room and gently scooped Aaron up in his arms with ease. Aaron yawned and turned his head to rest on Derek’s shoulder.

“Thank you,” Hailey mouthed as Derek maneuvered around her to go downstairs. Jason and Alyssa were already putting their coats on. As Jason grabbed his car keys Alyssa walked over to Derek and smoothed Aaron’s hair across his forehead before opening the door for Derek.

Hailey quickly pulled her coat on and then walked out ahead of Derek, parting the line as her parents went to the car, pulling it out of the driveway. Hailey closed the line and then opened the car door for Derek and Aaron before walking around the back end to the other side.

“Here,” she whispered, moving right next to Derek so Aaron could lay across both of their laps. Derek gingerly slid Aaron’s torso over until his head was against the crook of Hailey’s elbow. They both placed their arms around him so he wouldn’t move much as Jason drove. Hailey rested her head on Derek’s shoulder throughout the drive while Jason silently navigated the way to the department. When they pulled into the parking lot they could see that nearly everyone was there already.

“Aaron, sweetie, you’ve gotta get up now,” Alyssa said, turning in the passenger’s seat to look at him. Aaron’s eyes slowly blinked open and he yawned, attempting to turn over on Hailey and Derek’s laps.

“Okay, I’m up, I’m up,” he said groggily. Jason opened Derek’s door so Aaron could slide out and they all headed into the department. Hailey spotted Stiles, Danny, and Allison talking with Chris and the Sheriff in the Sheriff’s office while the deputies milled about. Her parents and Aaron went over to talk to Carl and a few of the others before heading into the Sheriff’s office.

“Hey,” Stiles said when they walked in and Hailey waved. Chris walked over and gave her a hug, this having been the first time he’d seen her since Derek and the others found her.

“I’m sorry for what my father’s done,” he said, shaking his head, his hands on her shoulders. “I can’t even…”

“Mr. Argent,” she said, mirroring him and putting her hands on his shoulders. “You can’t control your father, you had no idea. It’s okay.”

“We’ll fix this Hailey,” he said and she nodded her understanding. He and the Sheriff went off to a corner of the office as she and Derek walked over to their friends.

“Where’s Scott?” she asked.

“He and his Mom are picking Deaton up at the airport. They should be here soon,” Allison answered, wrapping an arm around Hailey’s back. Hailey did the same and leaned against Allison.

“Your Dad feels really bad doesn’t he?” she whispered and Allison nodded.

“It’s been eating away at him. He thought if Gerard ever came back he’d go against us, not one of my friends,” she said. They looked up when the door to the department opened to see Isaac and Peter walk in. Isaac came in and joined them while Peter walked over to Hailey’s parents.

“We heard Melissa’s car a few miles behind us as we got here. They’ll be here soon,” Isaac said and Stiles’ father walked over to them, having heard Isaac.

“In that case we should start heading into the briefing room,” he said, ushering them out of his office. The deputies all took notice and headed in there without a word, immediately taking their usual seats. Some stood back up to allow the Miner’s to sit and anyone else who wanted to. Alyssa and Aaron were the only one’s to sit, Jason leaning against the wall by their table. Hailey and the others went to the front corner while the Sheriff went back out front to wait for Scott, Melissa, and Deaton to get there.

Derek came up behind Hailey and put an arm around her waist. She turned to look at him but his face was focused towards the door and a few moments later they walked in. Melissa went to sit down next to Alyssa while Scott joined them, standing next to Allison.

“Thank you all for coming here,” Deaton said, placing a duffel bag down on the table in the front of the room. “Especially so late, I’m sorry about that. Hailey could you come here?” he asked and she walked forward, standing between him and the Sheriff at the front of the room. “I know you’re probably tired of explaining but one last time, can you let everyone here know everything you know about Gerard?”

“It’s no problem,” she said, clearing her throat. “Well first off, Lydia Martin is involved. She and Gerard are working together, a revenge plot basically. She wants revenge because of what we did to Jackson. Gerard wants revenge because he was tricked. He wanted to become a werewolf because he was dying of cancer but Scott, in a genius move by the way, switched his pills with capsules full of mountain ash. Everyone suspected him to be dead but instead he turned into something else.”

“Sorry but, if they both want revenge, why did they go after you?” Carl asked and Hailey nodded, understanding why it would seem confusing.

“Because Derek’s the Alpha,” she said, turning to look at him. “And I’m his mate. And they know the best way to get to Derek is to go through me. Yes, Scott switched the pills but where Derek goes, the others go so ultimately I believe his plan was to wipe all of the werewolves out. I was just the bait.”

“Now tell us what you saw happen with Gerard,” Deaton prompted and Hailey shivered at the memory.

“When I came-to after they took me, I was in the basement of the house Derek and the others found me in. Not long after I heard a woman’s voice through the darkness. She spoke to me and then turned a light on in the middle of the room. Standing across from me was a little old lady, literally. She couldn’t have been taller than 5’ 2”. When I asked who she was, I’ll never forget this, she said You tell me and then her body started changing.”

“Changing how?” Deaton asked.

“Her skin started to bubble, almost as if it was melting. And her bones made a cracking noise as they elongated, her shoulders broadened, and I could tell she was taking the form of a man. And then I realized it was Gerard,” she said in disgust, her body trembling. Derek walked over and put his hand on her back to try to calm her.

“Is there anything else?”

“For some reason I can’t sense anything off of him,” Derek said and there were some mutters of confusion coming from the deputies. “No heartbeat, no scent, nothing.”

“How is that possible?” Carl asked and Derek shrugged beside Hailey.

“Do you have any idea what he could be Doc?” the Sheriff asked and Deaton nodded.

“I have reason to believe that Gerard is a skin-walker,” he said. “Now, basically werewolves are also skin-walkers who take on the form and some characteristics of wolves. But extremely powerful skin-walkers can take the form of anything.”

“How do they do that?” Hailey asked, not really sure she wanted to hear the answer.

“They kill what they want to take the form of, whether it be person or animal. They do this by looking into their eyes, absorbing the energy and spirit of whoever, or whatever, they want to become.”

“So, you’re telling us that Gerard could not only be anyone out there, but he could be anything ranging from a mouse to a horse?” Peter asked incredulously.

“Essentially yes,” Deaton nodded. “But I have no reason to believe that he would be an animal at all except possibly a dog. Hailey you only ever saw and heard him as human though, correct?”

“Yes, every footstep, every movement I heard was definitely human,” she said.

“So how do we kill my father?” Chris asked and Deaton opened the duffel bag.

“For this it has to be guns. There’s no other way,” he said as he took multiple jars out of the bag. “The only way to kill a skin-walker is with a bullet that has been dipped in fraxinus americana, also known as white ash.”

“So a liquid form won’t do this time?” Melissa asked and Deaton shook his head.

“I’m afraid not. It has to do with the chemical properties of the ash mixed with blood, and I’ll leave it there.”

“Is this really why you were out of town?” Scott asked, walking over to the table and picking up one of the jars.

“Yes, these trees are only found in the Eastern part of the United States and after your brief description I had a feeling this is what he was. Hailey’s addition makes it more solid,” he answered. “Now, I suggest you cover all of your bullets in the ash. In the event that you’ll have to use them for a reason other than Gerard, the ash won’t do that person any harm. It is only poisonous to skin-walkers.”

A few of the deputies stood to get bullets from the armory supply in the back of the station. Hailey looked over to her family to see Aaron visibly upset. Her parents were both at eye level with him and talking at the same time as his face showed frustration. She was about to walk over to see what was going on when Derek grabbed her hand. He nodded to where Deaton was talking to the Sheriff in the corner and they walked over to him.

“There’s something else we were wondering,” Derek said and Deaton looked at him then to Hailey. “Hailey’s been having awful nightmares since we got her home. She’s barely slept.”

“I keep seeing Gerard killing everyone I love. I even saw him take the shape of my father in last night’s. It’s terrifying,” she said.

“We were wondering if you had anything you could give her that’s stronger than an over-the-counter but still safe to use,” Derek said. Deaton crossed his arms and looked down at the floor, a look of concentration on his face.

“Actually,” he said, looking up. “I may have just the thing. We have to go to the clinic from here though.”

“Hey Stiles,” Hailey called over her shoulder. He walked over and put his elbow on her shoulder, leaning into her.

“What’s up?”

“Did you come alone or did you bring Danny?” she asked.

“I came alone.”

“Could you bring the three of us to the animal clinic when we’re done here. And then home afterwards. My parents need to get Aaron back so he can go to bed.”

“Sure, Doc’s house is on the way back to mine from yours anyway. No problem,” he said with a nod.

“Thanks,” she said, and he went back to his conversation with Danny and Isaac. “And thank you.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Deaton said, putting a hand on her shoulder before walking to the middle of the room to see if anyone had any questions.

“I cannot wait to sleep tonight,” Hailey said with a smile turning to Derek who wrapped his arms around her.

“I know,” he said, kissing the top of her head.

“Hey Derek?” she said, biting her lip.

“Why are you nervous?” he asked, pulling away from her having sensed the emotion.

“Because I’m about to ask you something you’re not going to like,” she said and he scowled.

“What?”

“I want a gun this time,” she said flat-out, biting her lip as his eyes flashed red.

“No,” he growled.

“Oh come on!” she exclaimed. “This is so different from Jackson! First of all I have use of both of my hands this time. Second Gerard could be anyone anywhere; at least Jackson looked the same the whole time.”

“I’m sure because of the kidnapping Stiles’ Dad can put together a detail to follow you at the school,” he said sternly.

“What if I have to go to the bathroom during class and Gerard’s one of my classmates and follows me in there? I’ll be defenseless,” she said trying to think of any possibility where she would be alone and in need of a way to protect herself.

“One of them will be a woman and she’ll follow you,” he answered easily.

“Why won’t you let me protect myself?” she shouted angrily, causing the whole room to quiet down and turn to them. Derek pursed his lips and Hailey turned around sheepishly and most of the heads quickly turned away from her. Derek gripped her elbow and led her out into the hallway to be alone.

“I don’t want you to have a gun because I don’t want you turning into a killer,” he said quickly in a hushed tone. Hailey’s eyes widened and her muscles relaxed as Derek leaned against the wall and ran his hands over his face.

“The odds of me being the one to have to shoot Gerard are slim to none,” she said softly, stepping over to stand in front of him and placing her hands on his chest. “I just don’t like feeling helpless. Besides, if it comes down to me being the one to kill him it’s not like I’m going to go on a homicidal rampage.”

“I know,” Derek sighed, placing his hands on her waist. “But I know what it’s like, how it feels after you kill someone. You have to live with the guilt for the rest of your life. It follows you all the time. Yes it can be a relief but knowing that you’re capable of something like that… I don’t want you to ever feel like that.”

“I never thought of that,” she whispered and he nodded.

“I know you just want to help. But please, don’t ask me this again,” he said and she put her hand on his cheek, leaning up on her toes to kiss him.

“I won’t. I promise,” she said.

“I think you should talk to Aaron,” he said, nodding towards the briefing room. Hailey raised an eyebrow and he just nodded through the doorway again. She walked into the room to see Stiles kneeling on the floor across the table from where Aaron sat, arms crossed against his chest, a frown on his face. She put a hand on Stiles’ shoulder and he stood up shaking his head.

“Your parents and I have tried talking sense into him but he won’t listen,” he said and Hailey sighed.

“Aaron, come here,” she said softly, beckoning him over with her fingers. He shoved away from the table and walked over to her. She led him to the far wall away from everyone and had him sit cross-legged across from her. “What’s going on buddy?”

“Everyone gets a gun except me. Again,” he said with exasperation.

“I’m not getting one either,” she said and he looked up at her.

“But why not? I know why last time but your arm’s better,” he said, pointing at the arm in question.

“I know. I wanted one. That’s what I was just talking to Derek about. But he gave me a very good reason why I shouldn’t have one and it’s the same for you,” she said.

“What?” he asked.

“Derek doesn’t want us to be the ones to kill Gerard because he doesn’t want us to feel sad or guilty afterwards. Sure we’ll be happy that he’s dead and won’t be able to hurt us anymore but… it’s not as easy as you’d think, killing someone,” she said and Aaron seemed to take this into consideration. “Do you understand?”

“I guess,” he said with a sigh. “But I want to help.”

“I know you do,” she said, scooting over so she was next to him and placing an arm around his shoulders. “I do too but the best way we can help is to cooperate with everyone and let them do their job of protecting us and not get in the way so we don’t get hurt. Okay?”

“Okay,” he said.

“Good,” she said, leaning over and kissing the top of his head as he tried to bat her away. “Now after Mom and Dad get their stuff they’re going to take you home. Derek and I have to go with Deaton to get something to help me sleep and then we’ll be there. I’ll see you in the morning.”

“I’ll tell Mom and Dad,” he said, standing up. He started to walk away but stopped and turned, rushing back over and throwing his arms around Hailey’s neck. “Love you Hails.”

“Love you too,” she said, smiling as he walked over to their parents. Derek walked over from where he was talking to the Sheriff and joined her on the floor, resting his back against the wall.

“It’s not easy saying no is it?” he asked and she shook her head, linking her arm through his and resting her head on his shoulder. They watched as the deputies and Deaton formed an assembly line of coating hundreds of bullets in white ash, loading them into guns, and giving extras to her parents and her friends. They’d do it amongst themselves later. Her friends and family left until it was just the two of them, Stiles and his father, Deaton, and a handful of deputies.

“Ready?” Stiles asked, walking over with two guns. Hailey nodded and stood up along with Derek who took one gun from Stiles and tucked into his waistband. Hailey watched as Stiles did the same, pulling his shirt over the butt of the gun to conceal it.

“You two be careful with those,” Sheriff Stilinski said, walking over and putting a hand on Stiles’ shoulder. “Hailey, Derek suggested you have a detail back at school. I’ll have one set up for when you arrive. There shouldn’t be any questions from the school due to what happened. Will you be going back in the morning or do you need another day?”

“I guess I should go back,” she said with a shrug. “It’s better than sitting at home.”

“Okay, won’t be a problem,” he said and she smiled at him. “I’ll see you at home Stiles.”

“Bye Dad,” Stiles said with a wave, leading the way to his Jeep.

****

“You three just stay right here. I’ll be right back,” Deaton said, leaving Hailey, Derek, and Stiles standing in the middle of the examination room in the back of the animal clinic. He disappeared around a corner into his office and they could hear him rummaging around. “Here we are,” he said, walking back out with an average pill bottle.

“What is it?” Hailey asked, picking the bottle up off of the table.

“Methaqualone,” he explained. “It used to be used to treat insomnia. It stopped being available in the U.S. in the early 80s.”

“So where the hell did you get it?” Stiles asked.

“Canada. It’s completely legal there.”

“So it’s safe,” Derek said and Deaton nodded.

“When taken in the correct dosages yes, and you should only take one a night. Now since it takes an hour or so to kick in and it’s already quite late you should only take a half pill tonight, and take it right now. By the time you get home and settled you’ll be ready to fall asleep and the effects will wear off by morning,” he said and Hailey nodded. Derek opened the bottle and dumped a pill onto the table, stabbing it with one of his claws so it split in half.

“Still cool,” Stiles said in awe. Deaton walked into the waiting area and filled a small paper cup with water from the cooler.

“Thank you,” Hailey said, taking the cup from him. She put the pill in her mouth along with some water and swallowed it down. “I owe you.”

“Just stay safe,” Deaton said, putting a hand on her shoulder and she nodded. She leaned in to hug him then grabbed the bottle.

“Alright, to the Jeep,” Stiles said, swinging his keys around his finger.

****

“Goodnight,” Hailey said as she and Derek climbed out of the Jeep.

“Be careful at school tomorrow,” Deaton said and Hailey nodded.

“Want me to pick you up?” Stiles asked.

“I’ll take her,” Derek said before Hailey could answer.

“Oh, one more question!” Hailey exclaimed and Deaton leaned forward to look around Stiles. “Do you think Gerard will be able to cross the ash line? Or will that stop him too?”

“It will definitely stop him. One less thing to worry about,” he said and Hailey sighed.

“Good. Thank you,” she said, waving as Stiles started to drive away. Hailey bent down and parted the line for Derek, closing it once he was across. She straightened up and stumbled a little bit.

“Are you all right?” Derek asked, grabbing onto her elbow and she nodded.

“I think the pill’s kicking in a little sooner than Deaton thought. It’s probably because it’s the first night taking one,” she said. The only light on in the house was coming from the living room and Hailey peeked in and saw her father lying down on the couch. “Dad,” she whispered. Jason stirred and sat up blinking.

“That didn’t take too long,” he said, stretching his arms over his head.

“You didn’t have to wait up,” she said, helping him off the couch.

“I just wanted to make sure you got home safe. And you did. So I’m going to bed,” he said, pointing towards the stairs.

“We’ll follow you up,” Hailey said. Derek waited until they were on the stairs to turn the light in the living room off and turn on the one for the upstairs hallway.

“Goodnight,” Jason whispered, heading down the hallway to his and Alyssa’s room. Derek waited until the door closed to turn the light off and join Hailey in her room. He walked in to see she had laid down right on top of her bed, still fully dressed.

“Hailey,” he whispered, closing the door behind him.

“Mm,” she hummed as he sat near her feet. He worked on getting her shoes off and she turned her head towards him.

“Do you want to change?” he asked and she slowly shook her head.

He smiled, glad to see her finally ease into sleep. Instead of moving her he went to the closet and pulled another blanket off of the shelf to place over them. He stripped down to his boxers and t-shirt, turning the light off and climbed onto the bed next to her, pulling the blanket up to her chin. She didn’t move and he silently thanked Deaton as Hailey breathed rhythmically.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another one so soon? Well I did say I basically had most of this written already. And look at all those answers!

A lot of the information I got from looking up stuff about skin-walkers so it's somewhat true but I put a bit of my own spin on it. The white ash thing is true though. And all that about Methaqaulone is true too! I do some research from time to time.

Thoughts?

xoxo Steph