‹ Prequel: Poison and Wine

Come What May

Over

xxHaileyxx

“Please just let me go to Stiles. Please. He needs help. He needs an ambulance,” Hailey pleaded as Gerard’s grip on her arm grew tighter. Stiles squirmed in the road as he held on tightly to his leg, his face scrunched up in pain.

“If you think I’m going to call an ambulance, I should shoot you right now and your beast of a boyfriend once he gets here. Stupid girl,” Gerard spat and Hailey sobbed as more blood pooled under Stiles’ leg.

“It’s all right,” Stiles said through gritted teeth. “I’m fine.”

“There. You see?” Gerard said, his breath hot against her cheek sending shivers down her spine. “The boy is fine.”

“What do you want with Derek?” Hailey asked, her breathing hitched in her sobs. “The Bite failed once already to turn you into this. What makes you think it will work this time?”

“Oh I don’t want the Bite. You see, being a skin-walker, I take the shape of who or what I kill. But that you already know,” he said and Hailey nodded, her eyes squeezing shut in understanding, tears sliding down her cheeks once again. “So all I have to do is kill your precious werewolf and then I will be him. I will be an alpha. And I will live.”

“Not if Derek kills you first,” Hailey spat and Gerard laughed.

“I’m a werewolf hunter. Of course I’ll kill him,” he said and Hailey’s heart raced when she heard a car coming closer and closer.

“Derek,” she whispered hopefully as the black Camaro came in to view. Derek stopped the car a few feet in front of them and climbed out.

“Let her go,” he said, already wolfed out.

“Like I would obey you,” Gerard said and Derek took a step forward.

“I wasn’t finished,” Derek said. “Let her go… and I’m yours. Whatever it is you want.”

“Derek don’t do this,” Hailey sobbed and Derek flinched, not taking his eyes off of Gerard.

“Are you alone?” Gerard asked and Derek nodded. “Weapons?”

“Yes,” Derek said, reaching behind his back to grab the gun and he placed it on the ground. Gerard motioned for it and Derek gently kicked it towards them, a few feet away from Hailey’s feet.

“Derek he’s going to kill you!” Hailey screamed and Derek closed his eyes, refusing to look at her.

“I know,” he said, his voice thick and Hailey could tell he was trying not to cry.

“You’re sacrificing yourself? You can’t do this! You can’t leave me!” she cried and Gerard yanked her back.

“Shut. Up,” Gerard spat. “Time’s up Hale. But to make sure you don’t pull any stunts…” he said, raising his hand holding the gun. He aimed towards Derek’s legs so he wouldn’t be able to move.

“Why don’t you just kill me with it?” Derek asked.

“There are rules to being a skin-walker,” Gerard said. “The only way for it to work is if I kill you with my bare hands.”

“Oh God no, please,” Hailey cried as Gerard raised the gun again.

“Say goodbye,” Gerard said as Hailey closed her eyes. She prepared herself for the shot but instead of Derek screaming in pain, it was Gerard who let out a distressed sound and his grip on her disappeared.

Hailey opened her eyes to see Gerard on the ground next to her gripping his arm. Behind her, Stiles had dragged his body towards them, his gun by his side, and Hailey realized he had shot Gerard in the arm. Gerard screamed out in pain and Hailey saw a white mist form from the wound. Derek rushed forward towards Gerard, kicking Gerard’s gun out of the way, and grabbed him and started hitting him. Hailey backed away as Stiles raised the gun again.

“I can’t get a good angle. I might shoot Derek,” Stiles shouted to her. “Hailey you need to do it.”

“What if I shoot Derek?” she asked, her hands trembling.

“You can do this Hailey, I know you can,” he said, holding the gun out towards her.

“Hailey do it now!” Derek shouted as Gerard started to fight back. Hailey blinked back tears and took the gun from Stiles. She raised her arms up and turned towards Derek and Gerard in the middle of the street. She did her best to keep her aim on Gerard and she could tell Derek was trying to keep them steady for her but Gerard was struggling so much. Closing her eyes she took a deep breath and placed her finger on the trigger. Opening her eyes all she could see was red.

****

xxPeterxx

“I can’t stand this much longer,” Alyssa said as she continued to pace through the living room.

“Aly, please come and sit down. You’re scaring Aaron,” Jason said. Aaron looked up from his video game and shook his head.

“I’m already scared Dad,” he whispered and Jason sighed, placing his head in his hands.

“We all are,” Peter said from where he stood, leaning against the doorway between the living room and the entryway.

“You’re scared?” Aaron asked, his eyes growing wide as he turned to look at Peter. Peter nodded his head and walked into the living room. He waited until Alyssa turned his way in her pacing to put his hands on her shoulders. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes and shook her head, trying to get out of his grip.

“Pacing isn’t going to do anything,” he said softly.

“Neither will sitting here,” she said back in frustration.

“True but sitting is better than wearing a hole in your living room floor. Come on,” he said, gesturing to the couch. Alyssa hesitated before nodding her head and going to sit down. Aaron put his game down and sat next to Alyssa, wrapping his arms around her waist. She pulled him close and kissed the top of his head.

“I wish one of you could just go there. Hide somewhere and just… watch. You wouldn’t have to get involved,” Jason said and Peter tilted his head at the idea but was quick to turn it down.

“We don’t fully know what Gerard’s capable of. Knowing him, pre skin-walker, he could have traps set up all over,” Peter said and Jason groaned in frustration.

“How long has it been?” Alyssa asked, sniffling back tears.

“About twenty minutes,” Peter said, walking over to the window. He turned to his right when he felt Aaron beside him.

“Do you think they’re going to be okay?” he asked and Peter put his hand on Aaron’s shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“If I know my nephew like I think I do, he’s actually quite a lot like me. And I’m always determined to get what I want. Derek wants Hailey alive and safe and he’s going to do everything he can to make that happen,” he said. Aaron nodded solemnly then looked out the window, cringing when Alyssa started sobbing again. Peter moved his hand to wrap his arm around Aaron’s shoulders and hug him against his side.

****

xxScottxx

“Why aren’t we doing anything?” Allison shouted causing her father, Scott, and Isaac to turn to her. She sat in a chair in the middle of her and her father’s living room, her fingers tangled in her hair as her body shook with worry.

“Allison, we’ve been over this,” Chris said and she shook her head.

“That’s not good enough Dad. We always go out of our way against a threat. Why is Gerard any exception?”

“Because he said not to. Allison, he will kill Hailey if we do anything to interfere. We have to just sit and wait,” Scott said, walking over and kneeling in front of her, placing his hands on her knees.

“Scott, I can’t do this.”

“Do what?” he asked.

“Sit here and wait for news. They could be dying for all we know and if that happens… I won’t be able to live with myself,” she said, looking up at him with glossy eyes.

“But they could be alive for all we know. If we show up, Gerard could kill them and then how would you feel?” Isaac asked, a hint of annoyance in his tone.

“Isaac,” Scott said, turning to glare at him.

“Sorry,” Isaac apologized.

“No. You’re right,” Allison said, wiping away her tears. “Somebody should let Danny know what’s going on. I’m going to go call him.”

Scott stood up with her and started to follow. Chris reached out and grabbed on to Scott’s shoulder, holding him back.

“Let her go,” he said and Scott nodded, backing up as he watched Allison close the door to her bedroom.

“So how long are we going to wait?” Isaac asked. “Like, how long is too long?”

“I say we give them an hour at most,” Chris said. “Unless we hear from someone before that.”

“What about the Sheriff?” Scott asked.

“Peter said no cops,” Isaac said quickly.

“But Stiles is out there. The department doesn’t have to know,” Scott said, worried about his best friend. “If something happens to Stiles and his father finds out I knew what was going on and didn’t tell him… he’d be so disappointed.”

“He can’t know Scott,” Chris said and Scott nodded reluctantly. He looked up at the clock on the mantle and just waited.

****

xxPeterxx

“I can’t take much more of this,” Alyssa said and Jason reached out to grab her hand.

“Isaac just called me and said they all decided we’ll wait an hour longer before interfering. Unless we hear from someone before then,” Peter said, walking back into the room.

“An hour?” she asked and he nodded. “That’s too long. It’s already been almost 40 minutes!”

“Honey, we have no choice,” Jason said, sounding choked up.

“This is honestly the best thing to do to keep them all safe,” Peter said, sitting on the couch with Aaron.

“What if it doesn’t?”

“You can’t think like that,” Peter said as Alyssa shook her head in frustration.

“That’s easy for you to say,” she scoffed and Peter’s eyes widened in shock at the tone of her voice.

“And what exactly is that supposed to mean?” he asked.

“Hailey is our child. You don’t understand how much it is tearing me apart just sitting here!”

“Derek may only be my nephew, but he’s the only family I have left. Contrary to popular belief, I care for him very much. So really it’s you who doesn’t understand. If he dies…,” Peter said angrily, standing up and pointing a finger at Alyssa, his hand shaking, from fear or rage he didn’t know. “If he dies… I have no one.”

When he said it he felt something he hadn’t felt in a long time; tears pricking at the corners of his eyes and a lump in his throat. Alyssa just stared at him as Jason mouthed that he was sorry. Peter flinched when he felt contact. He looked down to see that Aaron had walked over and grabbed onto Peter’s hand.

“You’ll have me,” Aaron said softly. Peter was taken aback that all he could do was nod and squeeze Aaron’s hand gently.

****

xxDerekxx

“Hailey? Hailey come on, look at me,” Derek said frantically, his arms gripping tightly to her shoulders. Hailey blinked but just continued to look at the pool of blood mere feet in front of her. Derek looked to see Gerard’s eyes were still wide open and facing Hailey, his body motionless. Hailey was so tense as she continued to grip the butt of the gun. “Come on, let go. It’s okay, Hailey.”

Slowly she unfurled her fingers and the gun fell to the ground. Derek pulled her up into a sitting position and turned them so she’d face away from Gerard but she snapped her head back around to stare at his body.

“Derek. You need to call the ambulance. She’s in shock. And, I mean, I kind of have a bullet in my leg so…” Stiles said, wincing when he moved just a little bit.

“Right, Sorry,” Derek grumbled as he grabbed his phone from his pocket and dialed 9-1-1. “Come on Hailey.”

“I killed him,” she whispered. Derek just stared at her and nodded his head as he gave the 9-1-1 operator their location. He hung up and put his hand on Hailey’s cheek, turning her head and forcing her to look at him.

“It’s all over. He’s dead. Lydia’s dead. It’s over,” he said and Hailey’s lips began to quiver. Derek sighed and pulled her close to him as she started to sob.

“I killed him. I killed him,” she mumbled into his chest.

“Sh,” he soothed, kissing the top of her head. “It’s over. It’s all over,” he repeated.

“Oh fuck,” Stiles groaned, grabbing his leg.

“Here,” Derek said, reaching an arm out and placing it on Stiles’ shin to draw out some of the pain. “How’s that?”

“It’s no morphine but it helps. Thanks,” Stiles said with a nod.

“I hear sirens,” Derek said and Stiles sighed in relief.

“Thank God.”

“Your father’s closest.”

“Shit,” Stiles whispered. A few seconds later the car pulled up and Sheriff Stilinski stepped out, his eyes widening at the sight in front of him.

“Christ,” he said looking around, his gaze locking on Stiles. “Stiles!”

“I’m all right, Dad,” Stiles said as his father dropped to his knees next to him. “I’m just a little shot is all.”

“What the hell happened here?”

“Well first Lydia tried to kill us, then Gerard killed her and he was going to kill Derek but Hailey killed him and… here we are,” Stiles explained.

“And who shot you?”

“That would be Lydia,” Stiles said, nodding towards her body.

“Okay, let’s get you to the hospital and then I want all of the details,” the Sheriff said as the ambulance finally pulled up and the paramedics climbed out. “How’s Hailey?”

“We think she’s in shock,” Derek said as the Sheriff moved over to them. “I was so adamant about her not having a gun but she ended up having to use one anyway.”

“That’s how it always goes,” the Sheriff said, shaking his head and putting a hand on Hailey’s shoulder. “I’ll call her parents. You get to the hospital.”

“Call Scott too. He’s with the others,” Derek said as he helped Hailey stand and the Sheriff nodded. Hailey could barely stand so Derek scooped her up and carried her to the ambulance.

“Can you put her down so we can check her out?” one of the medics asked.

“She’s not hurt. She’s just in shock,” Derek said and she nodded.

“The two of you climb in the back with me and your friend. I’ll do a quick evaluation in there,” she said. Derek waited until they loaded Stiles’ stretcher in to climb in with Hailey.

****

xxHaileyxx

“Hailey? Sweetheart can you talk to me?” Melissa asked as she helped Hailey into a hospital gown. Hailey slowly turned her head to look at Scott’s mother. She hadn’t really been around her much but she knew enough about her from her own mother and from her friends.

“Where’s Derek?” Hailey asked and Melissa smiled to finally hear something come out of her.

“He’s in the waiting room waiting for your parents,” she said, easing Hailey back onto the bed, resting her up against the pillows.

“Am I hurt?” Hailey asked, looking around the room.

“Not physically, thank goodness,” Melissa said, taking Hailey’s temperature. “Derek’s just worried you might be in shock so someone from psychology is going to talk to you and give you what I call a five-minute therapy session.”

“I want to talk to Sheriff Stilinski,” she said and Melissa nodded.

“He’s going to come in here after the doctor,” Melissa said and Hailey shook her head.

“I don’t need to see the doctor. I want to talk to the Sheriff. I want to tell him everything,” she said. Melissa set down Hailey’s chart and walked over, putting her hand on top of Hailey’s.

“Honey… you shot someone. That’s a lot to process. We just want to make sure you’ll be okay.”

“I’ll see the doctor after. Please I want to talk to the Sheriff now,” Hailey pleaded. Melissa patted her hand and smiled.

“Okay, I’ll go talk to him. Will you be okay by yourself?” she asked. Hailey bit her lip and nodded hesitantly.

“I think so,” she said. Melissa gave her hand a gentle squeeze before hanging Hailey’s chart at the foot of her bed and exiting the room.

Hailey looked around the room while she waited and couldn’t help but think that someone who actually needed medical attention could be in this room instead of her. She felt guilty that they were going through all this trouble just because she shot and killed someone. She’d much rather be at the department than here. Hailey looked up when she heard a knock on the door.

“Come in,” she said and the door opened to reveal the Sheriff.

“Hi Hailey,” he said, closing the door behind him. Hailey smiled as he grabbed a chair and placed it next to the bed.

“Is Stiles okay?” she asked and he nodded his head with a sigh.

“Yes, thank God. He’s in surgery to remove the bullet and make some repairs. He’s going to be in a wheelchair for a bit so that will be fun.”

“He’s going to milk this so hard, isn’t he?” she asked, laughing for the first time in hours.

“That he will,” he said, laughing along with her. After they caught their breaths he looked up at her and clapped his hands together.

“That’s a serious face,” she noted.

“Well we need to have a serious conversation,” he said and she nodded. “So, from the beginning… what happened?”

“It started after Stiles and I dropped Stacy off at her house after shopping for our project,” Hailey started as he started writing in his notepad.

****

xxDerekxx

“Where is she?” Alyssa cried as soon as she saw Derek, running over to him.

“She’s in one of the rooms talking with the Sheriff,” he said, holding her when she collapsed in his arms in relief. “She’s fine but one of the doctors from psychology is going to talk to her to decide if she’s really in shock. They said she might need to stay the night for observation depending on his assessment.”

“I’m just glad she’s okay. I’m glad you’re okay!” she said, giving him a hug. “Where’s Stiles?”

“In surgery. Lydia shot him in the leg and from what I heard the bullet shattered his tibia so they have to repair it. But other than that he’s fine.”

“And Gerard?” Jason said. Derek merely nodded his head and Jason and Alyssa both sighed in relief.

“What about Lydia?” Aaron asked.

“Gerard… killed her,” Derek said. Aaron walked over and took his mother’s place to hug Derek.

“Did you kill Gerard?” he asked, looking up at Derek. Derek bit his lip before nodding his head.

“Yeah, I did.”

“See?”

“See what?” Derek asked.

“You’re a superhero. Just like I said,” he said, letting go and joining his parents in the chairs. Derek looked up as Peter approached and was surprised when Peter enveloped him in a hug.

“You lied to him,” Peter observed when he let go. Derek looked over at Aaron and sighed.

“I don’t want him to view his sister as a killer,” Derek said and Peter nodded in understanding.

“But you’re okay with him seeing you that way?” Peter asked.

“He thinks I’m a superhero,” Derek shrugged and Peter smiled. “Don’t smile. It’s creepy on you.”

“Alyssa, Jason,” Sheriff Stilinski said, walking into the waiting room.

“Can we see her?” Alyssa asked, standing up.

“Yes. She’s fine. I have all of the information for the police report. Since Gerard and Lydia are both dead nothing will come of this. You can all live in peace again,” he said with a smile.

“Thank you,” Jason said, shaking his hand. “Are you coming, Derek?”

“No, you three go see her. I can wait,” he said. Jason nodded and took his wife’s hand as Aaron led them down the hallway. The Sheriff walked over to him and Peter and shoved his hands in his pockets.

“What do we do with Gerard’s body?” he asked. “The same as Jackson’s?”

“That’s a question for Deaton but I assume that would be the best thing to do. Maybe even cremate the two halves and put them in two different places,” Peter said.

“Okay we’ll I’ll send Carl to talk to him,” he said, turning to talk away.

“I’ll go with him,” Peter said. He started to walk away but turned back to Derek. “I really am glad you’re all okay.”

“I know,” Derek said, nodding his head in gratitude. Peter turned to follow the Sheriff over to Carl and Derek sat down, resting his elbows on his knees and bowing his head. He had his eyes closed for a half a second when he heard footsteps running towards him.

“Are they okay?” Allison asked, kneeling down in front of him as she tried to catch her breath.

“Hailey’s with her parents and Aaron right now and Stiles is in surgery. But they’re both fine,” Derek said once Scott, Isaac, Chris, and Danny had caught up.

“What’s the surgery for?” Scott asked, worry still in his voice even though Derek said he was fine.

“To remove the bullet, first of all, and to fix his tibia. The bullet practically shattered it.”

“But Hailey’s not hurt?” Allison asked.

“Not physically. Someone from psych is going to see her just to make sure she’s okay.”

“Why would they need to do that?” Danny asked, sitting down.

“Because she’s the one that killed Gerard,” he said, looking at Chris and Allison.

“Oh my God,” Allison whispered. Chris came over and put his hand on her shoulder and she stood up to hug him. “It’s all over.”

“It’s all over,” Derek repeated as Scott forced him up into a hug, Isaac following after.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that took so long! It needed some thought put into it. I had to decide whose views I wanted to show and whatnot. Obviously there's not much left to this. Only one more chapter. Just a bit shorter than the first story but... it is what it is. As of right now there aren't any plans for a third installment but who knows. With season 4 having just started maybe something will jump start an idea. Or maybe there will be an entirely new story?? Who knows! So stay tuned for the last chapter! Hopefully I'll have it out before summer ends *fingers crossed*

xoxo
Steph