‹ Prequel: Poison and Wine

Come What May

The Notebook

The next Monday morning, Hailey sat in Physics class between a half asleep Stiles and Lydia, whose leg was bouncing up and down, as they waited for the morning announcements. Lydia’s audition had been on Friday afternoon and the cast list was supposed to be posted that day.

“Nervous?” Hailey asked Lydia as her leg continued to bounce.

“Yes,” she said, biting her lip.

“When does the list go up?”

“Lunchtime.”

“Want me to come with you?” Hailey asked and Lydia shook her head.

“No, that’s okay. I don’t take rejection well and you don’t need to see that,” she said with a slight laugh.

“Well you’ll know where to find me. I’ll keep my fingers crossed,” she said, nudging Lydia with her elbow causing her to smile.

****

“Doesn’t this whole playing nice with Lydia thing make you want to vomit?” Stiles asked Hailey during study hall. They were sitting in the corner of the library, Hailey sitting in a chair with her legs curled up under her while Stiles rested his feet on another chair.

“Of course it does but I’ve already told you and Derek and Scott and everyone else multiple times but this is the easiest way to get that goddamn notebook,” she said with a sigh.

“Can’t you just take it when she goes to the bathroom during class or something?” he asked and she shook her head.

“She keeps it in her purse which she takes everywhere with her. The only time she puts it down is during class and even then she keeps it tucked snug between her feet,” Hailey answered and Stiles huffed.

“Ok… well… what if you like… go to her house and take it from there? It’s not like she’d be carrying her purse around her house all day long,” he suggested.

“Yeah because Derek’s going to let me go to her house. Alone.”

“Right, bad idea. Didn’t think that one through very well. Ummm… Jesus Hails I don’t know.”

“Why don’t we just let this plan play out, huh?” she asked mockingly.

“Wait! I got it. Why don’t you, Lydia, and Allison have a girly sleepover party type thing? At Allison’s house. That way you’ve got hunter Allison and her hunter father there to protect you and you’ll have plenty of opportunity to get it sooner than during a rehearsal when there are a lot of people around,” Stiles said excitedly and Hailey raised an eyebrow thoughtfully.

“That’s not a half bad idea Stiles,” she said and he smiled smugly.

“Yeah, I know,” he said, brushing at his shoulder causing Hailey to laugh.

“Only thing is… we have to convince Allison and Lydia since they’re not as close as Lydia and I are.”

“Just feed them some bullshit about how you know how close they were before all of the Jackson drama and you want to try to help them get back to that if they’re willing,” he said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Right, I’ll bring it up at lunch.”

“Are you going to tell Derek first?”

“I probably should, huh?” she asked and Stiles nodded.

“I mean I don’t think he’ll threaten to rip your throat out with his teeth or anything, but it’s probably a good idea,” he said and she sighed.

“Alright I’ll call him, keep an eye out for me?” she asked and he nodded. She pulled her phone out of her backpack as Stiles got up and walked over to the shelf of books next to her, making sure no one was coming their way. She dialed Derek’s number and waited for him to answer.

What’s wrong?” he asked frantically.

“Nothing! Sorry I didn’t mean to worry you. I just wanted to talk to you about something,” she said and she heard him let out a huff.

Aren’t you supposed to be in class?” he asked and Hailey couldn’t help but smile as she rolled her eyes.

“There’s this magical hour in high school called study hall,” she said satirically and she could practically hear Derek roll his eyes and she imagined he’d cross his arms if he weren’t holding the phone.

Hailey,” he sighed and she laughed.

“Okay, sorry. Well Stiles and I were talking about this whole notebook thing with Lydia and he thinks it might take too long if we keep going about it this way,” she said.

I don’t think I’m going to like where this is going.

“He suggested that Allison, Lydia, and I have a sleepover to try and get the notebook. We actually don’t even need to take it. All we’d have to do is read it while she’s sleeping. Maybe even photocopy some pages,” she said.

“I didn’t even think of that!” Stiles exclaimed in a whisper before turning back to the rest of the library, casually riffling through a random book.

I don’t know, Hailey. What if something goes wrong?

“Chris and Allison will be there. That is if Allison’s okay with having it at her house. And two hunters is better than none if we just continued with the whole trying to steal-it-during-rehearsal plan,” she said, hopeful that she would be able to convince Derek.

Hailey…

“You know you can keep watch outside the whole time just in case she goes all psycho. Literally, Psycho, trying to stab me in the shower,” she interrupted before he could say no.

Well if you had said that before,” he huffed and Hailey laughed.

“Sorry I figured it was kind of obvious.”

I guess that could work.

“Okay I’ll ask Allison about it during lunch before Lydia gets there. How’s the search going by the way?”

Still nothing. Peter went a few miles east of town and I haven’t heard from him yet. Isaac’s headed to another nursing home and I’m checking out some recently sold houses,” he said and Hailey could tell he was getting frustrated.

“What if we were wrong and he’s nowhere near here?” she asked.

I don’t know,” he said and Hailey bit her lip.

“Well, good luck. Keep me posted if you anyone finds anything.”

And you let me know what Allison says.

“I will,” she said. “Bye.”

Bye,” he said, hanging up. Hailey put her phone down and Stiles walked back over and sat next to her.

“Nothing?” he asked and Hailey shook her head. “This guy’s one sneaky bastard.

Tell me about it,” she said, stretching her legs out and grabbing her pre-calculus book out of her backpack.

****

“So I had an idea earlier,” Hailey said to Allison as they stood in line in the cafeteria to get their lunches. Stiles cleared his throat and nudged Hailey with his elbow and she sighed. “Okay, Stiles had an idea.”

“Uh oh,” Allison said with a laugh, grabbing an apple from the fruit basket.

“I take offense to that,” Stiles said, looking at Allison in shock and Hailey rolled her eyes.

“Stiles, I’m kidding. What’s the idea?” she asked.

“He thought we should try a different approach to get the notebook. Try and speed things up a bit,” Hailey said and Allison tilted her head to the side questioningly.

“How so?”

“We have a slumber party,” Hailey said and Allison opened and closed her mouth as if she was going to say something and bit her lip.

“I don’t follow,” she said.

“Well since riffling through Lydia’s bag during a rehearsal, if she gets a part, will look kind of suspicious since there will always be people around. Plus there’s the chance that Lydia could see,” Stiles started to explain.

“Right, so Stiles thought we should get her alone at a point where she’ll be vulnerable and we’ll be able to get the book when she’s sleeping,” Hailey finished and she and Stiles stared at Allison optimistically.

“Where would we have this so called slumber party?” Allison asked.

“I was hoping at your house. So that way Lydia’s not around my family, and there’s no way we should do it at her house. Plus at your house we’ll not only have your Dad there to help out but all of your ammo and stuff,” Hailey said and Allison nodded.

“I think we should give it a try,” she said and Hailey smiled. “Do you think Lydia will be up for it?”

“I think she’ll go along with it right away. You were the one I was worried about to be honest,” Hailey said.

“Why?”

“Because she used to be your best friend and you trusted her. And then you fell apart,” Hailey explained and Allison nodded in understanding.

“If she’s sincere in what she’s doing, I would like to re-build a friendship with her. But in order to find out if that’s truly what she wants we need that notebook and I’ll do anything to get it,” Allison said as they paid for their food and walked over to their table where Scott and Danny had already started eating.

“Any sign of she-devil?” Stiles asked as he slid onto the bench across from Danny.

“Not yet,” Danny said, taking a bite of his sandwich.

“You spoke too soon,” Scott said, looking towards the doors. Hailey looked up but didn’t see anything.

“Um?”

“Just a second,” Scott said, pointing his finger at the door and soon one of the doors flew open and Hailey saw Lydia look around frantically, her red hair whipping in front of her face. A smile grew on Lydia’s face once she finally spotted Hailey and she maneuvered her way through the tables as quickly as possible.

“So?” Hailey asked excitedly, having quickly jumped into best-friends-with-Lydia mode.

“I got the part! I’m going to be Galinda!” Lydia exclaimed and Hailey clapped her hands, caught off guard when Lydia bent down and hugged her. Hailey heard Stiles let out a gagging noise and ignored him.

“Congratulations, I knew you could do it!” Hailey said, a wide smile on her face.

“I wasn’t so sure. I thought maybe they’d give me Nessa but I did it, Hailey. And it’s all thanks to you of course,” Lydia said, sitting down next to her and fixing her hair.

“I didn’t really do anything,” Hailey said, shaking her head.

“You did everything,” Lydia gushed. “I never would have gotten this if it weren’t for you.”

“Well I’m just glad I could help. We should celebrate,” she said and Lydia cocked her head.

“We don’t have to do that.”

“Of course we do! You deserve it you worked really hard.”

“Well what do you suggest we do?” Lydia asked.

“How about on Saturday you, me, and Allison have a girls therapy day,” Hailey said pointing to each of them in turn and Lydia’s eyes widened as she looked at Allison warily. She was surprised to see a smile on Allison’s face. “It will be our treat to you. And then Saturday night we’ll have a good old fashioned, no boys allowed, slumber party.”

“Are you sure?” Lydia asked towards Allison who nodded her head.

“Yes, I’m proud of you Lydia,” Allison said, putting on a convincing enough smile to prod Lydia’s decision.

“Well who can resist an offer like that?” Lydia asked and Hailey smiled.

“Good, it’s a plan,” Hailey said as Lydia got up and grabbed her purse.

“I’m so excited I don’t think I can eat but I’m going to try to find something. I’ll be right back,” Lydia said, walking over to the line.

“Well that went well,” Danny said and Hailey nodded.

“I had a feeling it would. She’s been wanting to mend things with Allison,” Hailey said, picking up her fork and taking a bite of her salad.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Scott asked and Hailey realized he was talking to Allison.

“It won’t be a problem. Dad and I have more than enough experience between the two of us plus our house is loaded, you know that,” she said.

“And Derek’s going to be outside in case anything does go wrong,” Hailey added and Scott nodded.

“I can’t believe you guys are going to put up with her for twenty-four hours,” Stiles said in disgust and Hailey rolled her eyes.

“A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do,” Hailey muttered, stabbing at her salad again and watching Lydia over the heads of some of the other students as she made her way through the line.

****

“I hate this,” Derek said Saturday morning as he and Hailey sat in her car in the mall parking lot while they waited for Lydia and Allison to get there.

“Well there’s nothing I can do Derek. You can’t follow us around the mall without looking suspicious,” Hailey said and Derek huffed.

“Because sitting in my car in the parking lot doesn’t look suspicious,” he said rolling his eyes.

“Fine but if Lydia sees you or if you get in trouble with mall security it’s your own fault,” she sighed and he smiled smugly at her. “Shut up.”

“I didn’t say anything,” he said, the smile growing even more smug and she bit her lip to keep from smiling.

“No, I’m mad at you,” she said, trying to keep her voice steady and he raised an eyebrow and she pursed her lips. “Stop it!”

“You cracked,” he said as Hailey laughed.

“Okay you need to go,” she said, shoving his shoulder and he raised an eyebrow. “Not like I want you to but they’ll be here any minute and I need Lydia to trust me and in order for that to happen you can’t be here.”

“Fine,” Derek sighed, leaning over and kissing Hailey, lingering a little longer before opening the door and sliding out. Hailey watched him saunter over to the Camaro knowing he was doing it for show. She shook her head, a smile on her face and when she looked up he was already out of sight. A few minutes later her phone rang.

“Hi,” she said, picking up when she saw it was Allison.

Hey where are you?” Allison asked.

“Parked outside of the food court. You?”

Heading over to you. Any sign of Lydia?

“Not yet,” she said, keeping an eye out for Allison. “I see you.”

You too,” Allison said, hanging up as she pulled up beside Hailey. They both climbed out of their cars and started walking inside.

“So Derek’s going to be stalking us while we’re here,” Hailey said and Allison raised an eyebrow.

“I hope he doesn’t get caught,” Allison said and Hailey nodded.

“I told him he better not get in trouble with mall security. So, are you nervous for tonight?”

“A little. Dad’s not worried though,” she said.

“Well that’s good. I’m a little nervous too,” Hailey said.

“For what?” Lydia asked causing Hailey to jump.

“Oh my God I had no idea you were there,” she said, putting her hand over her heart.

“Sorry,” Lydia said with a smile. “Nervous for what?”

“For our history test on Monday,” Hailey lied.

“Oh I know, it’s the most difficult section we’ve had this year,” Lydia said.

“Right. So, where to first?”

“Sephora?” Lydia suggested and Hailey and Allison nodded.

“Whatever you wish,” Hailey said, exchanging a glance with Allison before following Lydia towards the beauty supply store.

****

“So Allison, how are you and Scott doing?” Lydia asked as the three sat in a triangle on Allison’s bedroom floor painting their nails.

“We’re great,” Allison said with a smile. “Never better.”

“Good,” Lydia replied. “How’s Derek, Hailey?”

“He’s good.”

“He’s probably not too happy about this, huh?” she asked, gesturing to the three of them hanging out.

“Not really but it’s not like he can tell me what I can and can’t do,” Hailey said shrugging.

“Did you… tell him I was sorry? I want to tell him myself but I’m scared he won’t even let me be in the same room as him,” she admitted.

“I did.”

“He didn’t care though, did he?” Lydia asked and Hailey hesitated before shaking her head.

“Derek’s been through a lot. He’s lost a lot of people. And because of you and Jackson, he almost lost four more,” Hailey said and Lydia nodded in understanding.

“I don’t blame him,” she said quietly and for just a moment, Hailey actually felt bad for her. Hailey heard her phone buzz in her purse and stood up to get it but Allison threw a nail file at her.

“No boys,” Allison said and Hailey glared at her.

“It could be my Mom,” Hailey said and Allison shook her head.

“We agreed no phones missy,” Allison said sticking her tongue out.

“Rules are rules,” Lydia said and Hailey sighed, glancing towards the window before sitting back down and grabbing the nail polish to put a second coat on.

****

“God I hope she’s a heavy sleeper,” Hailey whispered to Allison as they stood in the bathroom, getting ready to go back to Allison’s bedroom and get the notebook from Lydia’s purse.

“You and me both,” Allison whispered, turning the flashlight on and tiptoeing to her room.

Slowly Hailey followed Allison as quietly as possible. They hesitated in the doorway, listening for Lydia’s breathing. It came slow and steady, a slight hint of a snore with every breath. Allison crept over towards where their purses sat and grabbed Lydia’s. She clutched it tight to her chest so the chains wouldn’t jingle and slowly they headed back to the bathroom.

Hailey closed the door behind them and flicked the light on as Allison set the purse on the sink. Both girls held their breaths as Allison rifled through for the notebook. Her eyes widened as she grabbed onto it and pulled it out. Hailey could hear her heart beating in her chest as she stood shoulder to shoulder with Allison in front of the sink. Allison took a deep breath before turning the front cover of the notebook. Hailey raised an eyebrow when she saw the first page was blank.

“Maybe she skips a page,” Hailey said and Allison nodded before flipping the page only to be met by another blank page. Hailey grabbed the notebook and flipped page after page after page before holding it up and treating it like a flipbook.

“Every single page is blank,” Allison whispered and Hailey shook her head.

“She tricked us. She knew,” Hailey said, still shaking her head. “How did she know?”

“Well if we needed any proof to show that she was up to something this says it all,” Allison said, prying the notebook out of Hailey’s hands and putting it back in Lydia’s purse.

“I can’t believe it,” she whispered and Allison locked eyes with her in the mirror.

“I can,” she said. “Come on, we should get some sleep.”
♠ ♠ ♠
OH MY GOD THIS CHAPTER IS SUCH A FILLER I'M SO SORRY. Fillers take my forever to write. This is not my best at all but I mean, what happens happens, I couldn't just go BAM NOTEBOOK so yeah. Don't worry things REALLY pick up in like... the next chapter. I haven't written it yet but I think I'm definitely going to do it with the next chapter. You won't even know what's coming ;) So yeah, there's that!

Thanks for the recs guys!! And the comments! You're the best! :D

~Steph xoxo