Sing You to Sleep

One Shot

There was a crowd to greet the band, but despite everyone who circled the boys, there was one person missing. Jack didn’t see her anywhere. This was the first time she wasn’t there to meet him at the airport. Homecoming was not the same without her.
The guys dropped him off at her apartment, and he made a mad dash up the stairs, knocking a few times on her door. The skunk haired boy bounced in his place as he waited for her to answer. It seemed like he was there for about 20 minutes before the door finally opened, revealing a cute, short brunette on the other side. His eyes widened and his smile grew as he stepped inside. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, picking her up and spinning her around. A soft chuckle escaped the girl, or maybe it was squeezed out of her from her boyfriend’s grip on her. Jack gently put her down and shut the door behind him.
“Hey you.” He said, kissing the top of her head. “I missed you.”
“I missed you too.” Sophia said with a faint smile.
“Why weren’t you at the airport?”
“Oh, um.” She ran her hand through her hair, brushing her bangs away. “Got caught up in work I guess. Big assignment due next week.” She said with a nod as she crossed her arms over her chest. Even in baggy sweats, glasses and bed head, Sophia was the most beautiful girl. Her smile shined the brightest though. Or at least, it usually did.
“Are you okay?” Jack asked, tilting his head slightly.
“Mhm.” She said, her smile tight as she nodded quickly.
“Soph…?” He urged.
“I’m fine.” She said, turning to walk into the small kitchen of her apartment. “Did you eat on the plane?”
He shuffled his shoes off and followed her, sitting down at the table. He shook his head. “I’m not hungry.” He said.
“Oh, okay.” She quickly closed the fridge and slid her body onto the counter, gently scooping up a mug of black coffee to cradle in her hands.
“What’s going on?” Jack questioned.
“Nothing.” Sophia sipped at her coffee. “What ‘bout you? How was the tour?”
Jack shrugged. “Same ol’.” He said simply. The brunette nodded as she sipped at her coffee again. She swallowed and looked out the window.
“Okay, honestly, Soph, what’s up?” Jack said, leaning over the table.
“I told you, nothing.”
“I’m calling your bluff. Please tell me.”
Sophia let out a small huff before setting her coffee on the table. “You just got home.” She said and slipped off the counter. “It’s nothing that can’t wait, ok?”
Jack frowned gently and stood up from the table. He walked over to his girlfriend and looked down at her. He took a few strands of hair away from her face and sighed softly. “I don’t want you sad.”
Sophia pressed her lips together before looking down. She twisted to put the coffee on the counter and sighed as she looked back at Jack.
“I just…I missed you.” She said sadly.
The boy tilted his head slightly to catch her gaze. “That’s not all of it…I know you.”
She shook her head because it wasn’t. “I missed...I missed you too much, Jack.” She paused and looked up at him. “I just don’t see how you guys can be on tour so much. There are some bands who don’t tour even half as much as All Time Low does.” She bit her lip. “You’re just always gone…”
“I’m sorry.” Jack said in a mere whisper.
Sophia nodded. “I am too.” She said softly, swallowing the small lump that formed in her throw, feeling it fall into the pit of her stomach. “I fall asleep alone more times than not because you’re not here cuddling beside me and I miss it.” She shrugged her shoulders delicately. “I’m your girlfriend but it doesn’t feel like it anymore. I see you for maybe two days before you leave for months on end, and even when you’re here you have the press and everyone after you for hometown interviews. Then you leave and you’re half way across the world sometimes and I’m just left here.” She frowned and looked down at her hands. “And you get attention that…that I’m jealous of. You know, all these girls, they get to see you and have you and I don’t. I don’t feel like your girlfriend anymore…I feel like I’m just here to stroke your ego for the few days that you’re home and then you’re gone. And you’re off and have all these girls throwing themselves at you and…the worst part is, is that you flirt back.” Jack could hear his Sophia’s voice crack on her last word. “And I can’t do anything about it, because I’m just here and you’re miles upon miles away from me.” She frowned. Jack slipped two fingers below her chin to bring her face up, their brown eyes meeting.
“I am so sorry, baby girl.” He said in a deep, sorrowful voice. He dropped his hand from her chin and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close to him. He pressed his lips against her against, giving her a soft peck as he held her close. Sophia let out a soft sob and shook her head. “I’m sorry.” She whispered into his chest.
“Don’t be.” He replied, rubbing his hand along her back. “What if you came with me on tour?” He suggested.
She shook her head against his chest. “I can’t, I have school.” She sighed softly. She pulled back, but only far enough to be able to look back up at him. “How are we going to do this?” She whispered.
Jack looked around for a moment before back at her. “We’ll text and call a lot more. I’ll text you every morning, and make sure you’re not late for class.” Sophia smiled softly. “And we’ll skype.” He said, nodding at the idea. “Yeah. We’ll skype. And I’ll sing you to sleep every night with Daydream Away.” He said, smiling softly down at her. Sophia chuckled softly and nodded, smiling sadly.
“I love that song.”
“I love you.” He said, leaning down to kiss her softly. Their lips lingered together for a moment or two before she pulled away.
“I love you too, Barakitten.”