Status: ... relatively active

Sweet Ignorance

One

Ava’s POV

I gingerly glanced around the airport with my friends, Mason and Eliza. We were on a church mission trip to the islands around Mexico where several people needed aid in building homes and schools. The airport was cramp with about one hundred members from our church youth group.

Someone started shouting,” I don’t want to –ing go on the d- trip! I want to -ing stay home!” I turned around, wondering who would be cussing at a time like this. We were around strict church people. It was Ethan, a trouble kid who had just lost his father in a boating accident in the Gulf of Mexico. His short hair that fell over his bright green eyes was in disarray. He literally towered over his mother who was about six feet tall.

I groaned internally but kept my blue eyes averted from the scene he was making. Eliza shook her head sadly,” Poor Ethan. I’d be pitching a fit to if my mom was making me go on a trip on the same ocean my dad was killed.”

I automatically answered,” We don’t know his dad is dead.” Eliza just gave me a look, like ‘ you are just kidding yourself.’ I stared into her eyes forcefully,” We can not give up hope. What if it were your dad?”

Eliza’s chocolate eyes scanned the room for her father, who was talking to the pastor. “I honestly don’t know.” Her light brown eyes started to glisten at the mere thought of losing her father. I sighed and wrapped her up in a soft embrace, my frame towering over her five foot one.

Mason just snorted as he crossed his arms over his chest. ”You shouldn’t feel sorry for that sorry bastard. He brought it all on himself.”

I gave him a deadly glare, causing Eliza to grab the tops of my arms. “You are an ass, Mason!” He shrugged and looked off, making me angrier by the second. I practically growled at him, ready to rip his head off. It infuriated me how he could be so cruel and rude so someone that had lost someone so valuable to them.

Eliza patted my back,” He’s just mad that you’re paying more attention to Ethan than him, Ava.”

I tilted my head to the side, questioningly. “What are you talking about, Eliza?” She gave a small smirk and then mouthed something along the lines of ‘he likes you.’ I giggled and shook my head, effectively forgetting about my anger at him. I had always had a crush on Mason. He was the cute band nerd that everyone liked for the most part. Mason was slightly grinning from what I could tell but I was never sure with him. He had a mind of his own that was hard to understand him.

“Flight 256, now boarding! Flight 256, now boarding!” Everyone started toward the plane in frenzy, ready to see the beautiful dark blue ocean. I grabbed my huge backpack and pulled my waist length red hair up in a smooth ponytail. Eliza slightly shoved me forward, impatient to get on. I brushed my bangs out of my eyes and walked up the black steps, hearing the hum as they moved.

I popped down next to Mason in a seat near the front of the plane, ready to use him as a pillow if necessary. He grinned at me before placing a muscled, tan arm around me. “Hey Ava.”

I stuck my tongue out at him and pushed his arm away. “ Hey Mason.”

He frowned slightly before trying to put his arm in its original spot. I chucked it back to him before propping my feet up and pulling out a book I had to read for English. He clicked his tongue in disappointment, obviously wanting to be closer. I just couldn’t do it though, he’s one of my best friends and if we were together it would change everything.

I soon found myself nodding off and then Mason closed his arms around me, letting me lay my head on his chest. It was so warm and comfortable that I drifted to sleep in no time.

Ethan's POV


I looked away in disgust as I watched him pull Ava into his arms. Why couldn’t that be me? I pinched my nose in frustration, ready to pound someone’s face in. I didn’t know what pulled me into Ava. She was just a kind, caring person that was always warm when I was cold.

Pastor Eli whispered,” You know, it’s pretty obvious you’re staring, son.”

I shrugged and then angrily turned back toward the window. I was flying over the same ocean my father had disappeared on, the one where some douche bag trying to win a bet was holding the girl of my dreams. Of course, she didn’t know that. She was too ignorant to the world around her. She didn’t even know her best friend was sleeping with him, which was there, right in front of her eyes.

Eli patted my back gently as he spoke to me. “ Son, eventually, she will see. Ava is very naïve and wants to see the good in people. If you were around her more often, she might see how much you love her.”

I stared at him,” I don’t love her. I just like her.”

He gave me a knowing grin,” That’s the exact same thing I said about Ellen.”

I grumbled again,” I don’t love her. I barely even know her.”

Eli smiled at his wife and then glanced at me again. “Don’t worry, son. I got your back. You’ll be working with her on the projects.” Then he laid an arm around the back of Ellen’s chair, caressing her long blond hair. My fingers itched to do the same to Ava’s.

I glared at him before turning him away and focusing on my own confusing thoughts. Ava was just one girl compared to all the others in the school. She was beautiful, yes, but there were others that could beat her out. Or so, my friends had said. To, me, she was absolutely gorgeous and always had been. She was compassionate to everyone and would bend over backwards for the worst of people. I wanted to be the one that protected her.

Someone poked me in the back of the head and I turned, one fist raised in order to deliver a furious blow. It was Eli, who raised an eyebrow before pointedly looking at it. I sheepishly smiled, lowering my fist. “Someone’s not happy about being woken up.”

I replied as I watched Ava’s beautiful blue eyes flick open. “ I don’t think anyone is really happy about being woke up.”

He coughed,” You’re staring.”

I grimaced,” I know.” I sighed and trudged up the aisle, ready to be away from her. A blast of hot air rushed around my face as I walked off the plane. The natives welcomed us and gestured toward the cars. I brushed past them and took a seat in a big white SUV. It was going to be one long, long trip.

The car roared to life and just to make it all better, Ava’s warm honey voice filled the air.