‹ Prequel: Storm Brew
Status: TRAILER https://youtu.be/hOYDQm6H6Ns

Final Curtain

Chapter 1

Mel's POV

"Time to get up," a deep voice crawled underneath the layers of sleep. A tickling in my thighs made me shift and giggle as I came to. "You know what time it is?"

I yawned, feeling around for—found it. A sigh rippled as my hands curled in soft hair.

"Vacation time...?" I slurred with an absent minded smile, working my fingers into the short waves.

A chuckling noise came afterwards.

"Sorry, princess, it's time for College." My bones rattled when Nate trailed kisses from the curve of my breast to my neck.

I groaned, "Can't I just stay home having fun?"

"Hmm, what kind of fun would that be?" he seized my legs between his. I gasped feeling him rest close to me.

"I can think of plenty of things for us to do." My eyelids slipped open to the sight of a lazy smirk. "We're alone, in a bed..." I trailed off placing a hand to Nate's face. My heart still jumped every time he leaned into the touch.

"You're right," the blond kissed my wrist, planting butterfly kisses on my arm. He locked eyes with me when he found my shoulder. "That does sound way more appealing than boring old-College, and with a guy like me around no one would blame you." I rolled my eyes at his ego. "But it's the first day—you're going."

My smiley face flattered.

"I attended the first semester last year..." Though, I remembered practically nothing. "I can't believe I have Art history with Mr. Richards. Again." I sulked. "My karma must be really bad."

The little shiver coursing my skin came from Nathaniel's breath. He laughed above me.

"I thought you missed College, even Mr. Richards' boring lectures." He quoted one of my complaints by heart. I refrained from sticking out my tongue. "Be careful what you wish for, right?"

Right.

I remembered thinking my life was plain boring. Wanting something outside my daily routine to come along, and one faithful day in February, I'd gotten that wish. Long story short, my life had become a deadly dance. Killers, cults, bounty hunters—dealt with all of them.

"You begged me to wake you up on time, are you really just going to stand there?" Nate mused, raising himself on his elbow.

I looked at his damned sexy chest, pouting.

"What was I thinking?" I threw my head back in a dramatic gesture. "I can't spend a day apart from you...!" I sighed longingly for good measure.

Hearing that genuine laugh popped my eyes open, I skidded closer running fingertips over those V-shaped muscles on both Nate's hips. Loved to dig into them, they were so coiled and sturdy. A groan rippled from underneath and a smile crowned my face.

Nate cupped a buttock, tracing its curves. "You really have to get ready." Sounded like he was making a major sacrifice by saying it. "And don't be cruel, starting something you won't finish." Nathaniel sat, kissing me on the forehead, whispering, "Doing this the right way, remember?"

Heaving a short sigh I placed my chin on his chest. Nathaniel came from San Diego with this sweet idea of behaving and playing by the rules, especially today.

The official day of our fresh start.

"Fine," a wicked smile came on. "Dress me?" I waved my arms, the large sleeves sloshed around, courtesy of his oversized T-shirt.

"Let me think about that," he got close, breath rushing over my cheeks, then flicked my nose. "No,"

A hand traveled down his chest while I kissed the bottom of his chin.

"Undress me?" my voice wasn't remotely childish and adorable. It was low and sultry.

Nate's hands held my hips making me buckle.

"My pleasure, sweetheart." He smirked deviously, taking my lip between his teeth, gently rubbing.

Before I felt more inclined to skip my second sophomore year. I jumped into the bathroom. Deep down, I knew Nathaniel was thinking straighter than me, if I missed the first day I'd feel mucho guilty later.

Still, I had two reasons why I didn't want to go.

After we got back, College was out for summer break. Pacey had gone camping at Virginia Beach, meaning I hadn't talked to him, not face to face. I was praying for a big delay on that—I had a huge secret he could never know. It bothered me every time my mind wandered off. I knew what happened to Parker—he was dead.

Could I handle something of that magnitude? Pacey knew I'd been in Philly, that I'd gone to see Parker. He was bound to ask.

Then there was the other reason.

Nate.

We hadn't spent much time together. He'd gone back to San Diego a few weeks later to get his contract annulment which obviously hadn't been a piece of cake. His parents had tried to persuade him. Telling him he was being to stupid to throw his career away for a girl—how could anyone consider that a career?

Anyway, Nate being Nate had the final word and got out—he was officially an ex-Hive assassin—

"Mel you can't hide in there forever. Either come out willingly or I'll bust the door down and carry your ass out the apartment myself!"

I rolled my eyes looking from the mirror to the locked door.

"You're seriously making me feel annoyingly responsible." He shared when I walked out flickering my hair over my shoulder.

"You play the part really well—" I smirked reaching up, pecking his cheek. "But I prefer the other version, okay?"

His eyebrow lifted.

"You mean my badassness?" he nibbled up my neck, tongue skimming for entrance—I granted. I held in a moan as he began massaging the walls of my cheeks. I would've wrapped a hand into his hair, but he pulled away.

"You're mean." I whined.

A big smirk met my eyes.

"If I give you everything you want, whenever you want, you'll get tired of me real quick—and I really don't want to move my stuff back to San Diego. That shit takes way too long." I socked his shoulder—whirling, when Nate smacked my ass.

"Stop teasing me." I gritted, grabbing the book bag off the red lounge chair—a piece that belonged to Nate.

He'd brought lots of stuff from his house. We remolded what was supposed to be my parents bedroom. A squeak formed on my lips every time I thought: We have a bedroom! Our bedroom, as in, we shared the same bed every night—

"Stop daydreaming. You'll be late to catch the subway." He urged, taking my shoulders, guiding me outside, down the hall and into the living room stopping in front of the door. "You'll have plenty of time to do anything once you get out of prison—huh, College." Nathaniel gasped a laugh and I elbowed him. "You're really hitting hard, princess." He rubbed his side. "Make sure you play nice with the other kids or they'll lock you out of the playground." The amusement reached his eyes and beyond.

Nate was very proud of himself for having finished College early. But said he was happy that I got the full experience—yeah right.

I jabbed a finger into his rock-hard chest. "I'm going to give it to you when I get home."

He enveloped my hand with his cool touch.

"Hmm, I hope so, baby, I hope so." It was hard to keep a straight face when images from previous nights flooded, hot, steamy memories. My cheeks were pink, my mouth was shut. "One more kiss, then you seriously need to go." Some playful attitude dropped.

I shook my head with a faint smile before being pulled into him. It was a smooch, chaste and loving. When we put in some distance, I wanted more... but I had to control my wants. Plus, I only had two classes to attend, afterwards I was home free.

I twisted the key—

"Forgot my apple..." I shyly mumbled over a shoulder.

Nate disappeared from behind me and into the kitchen—the totally remolded kitchen, I might add. Obviously, I hadn't been able to deal with going in after... after I found my parents lying on the ground, blood all around. It cost a pretty penny but Aric insisted on paying—later, he confessed he'd used the money I paid him for finding Nate. I kept my boyfriend in the dark about that.

I heard Nate washing the apple and slid the door all the way—

Holy Mother of... This was not happening.

I was going to open my eyes and everything would go back to normal—maybe this time I was dreaming.

Praying for the best, I reached out to take the vanilla latte. I remained staring speechless as silence stretched on for five seconds until he broke it.

"Oh my God, Pace! I'm so happy to see you. And what's this? You've brought me my favorite to kick off the day? Oh, you are the greatest friend on the planet—" he dropped the feigned girly voice. It so didn't suit him at all. "That was the reaction I was going for. Not the whole I-stare-at-you-and-you-stare-at-me thing. Huh..." Pacey sighed, holding up his hands. "A guy tries."

"Pacey..." I breathed not noticing how much my fingers were curling around the coffee cup. "What are you doing here?"

He blinked his dark eyes—the eyes that looked so much like Parker's. Oh damn, damn, damn...

"A thank-you would be nice, too. But if you wanna get straight to business," he gave a light shrug. "I'm here to pick you up for our first day—it's tradition." Oh, yeah... tradition. Of course. How could I forget?

I dropped my hand from the knob. Lifting it, I scratched at my forehead.

"I'm sorry, I forgot we had this thing—" my fingers instantly curled around the fresh, round apple shoved into my palm.

"Got your apple, now get your butt..." Nate stopped looking out the door. "...out the door." He finished quietly, eyebrows furrowed.

Pacey accessed my boyfriend quickly—head to toe—nodding, he returned his gaze to my face.

"You were saying?" his shoulder leaned on the door frame, the backpack hung loosely.

I smacked my lips when an awkward pause—another one—stretched on. It took me some time to realize Nathaniel was hovering really close.

This was it, the new start—our shot at normal. I couldn't stutter while introducing Nate to Pacey. I cleared my throat and glanced between the two.

"Pacey, this is Nathaniel—my boyfriend." I gestured to the blond. Pacey's dark eyes jumped from me to Nate and back at me. He was taking it so well already—hurray. "And Nate, this is Pacey—my best friend... besides Anna." I added in a small whisper.

I half-expected Pace to straight into overprotective mode. To my surprise, he didn't.

"Your boyfriend?" Pacey shoved his hands down his pockets. "You're gone five months and you get a boyfriend?" my throat was already starting to burn.

I shook my thoughts swiftly.

"Are you insinuating I'm not attractive?" I deadpanned, putting my apple away. I felt safe with Nate around.

Pacey's eyes bulged, "No, it's nothing like that—you're beautiful." His hands gestured up and down my body. "It's just... funny that in five months you got a boyfriend and I lost my girlfriend." Good to know Pacey was still open about his problems. Maybe someday he could teach Nathaniel to be the same. "Anyway, nice to meet you, man." I could tell the smile was cautious, but he held out a hand.

When Nate remained stationary I discretely pinched his leg. That gained a quick reaction. I saw my boyfriend's hand shake Pacey's in a stout manner. I hoped he didn't break his hand.

Pulling away, Pace drew out a faint chuckle.

"Hell," he curled his fingers. "You pack quite the handshake."

"He... used to play football in College." It was true. "Speaking of which—we should go!" I placed a hand to Pacey's shoulder pushing him out the door. "We don't want to be late for the first day, right?" Suddenly, I wanted Pacey far, far away from this door step.

I found myself staggering backward—the bag around my shoulders was being tugged—I was spun around meeting Nate's front.

"I thought you didn't want me to be late?" I piped.

"I don't," he leaned down, lips next to my ear. "It'll be fine, you'll see. Fresh start, remember?" I tilted my head forward letting him know I did understand. "Alright, I'll see you later."

I heaved after our kiss and when I turned, hearts and cupids infested my brain. Not how being with Pacey scared the ever-loving-crap out of me.

We got on the elevator.

"Thanks for the latte." I tipped it his way before taking the first sip. "You know just what I need to get my day started."

Pacey smiled shortly, coming closer.

"I'm sorry," I blinked resisting the urge to lick my lips clean of vanilla. "About your parents accident. I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you—I know you didn't have lots of contact with them... but they were still your parents. It must've shaken you up pretty bad." He scratched behind his neck. "You were gone for a while." A while was being kind—it was nearly half a year.

"Their death made me question lots of things." I shrugged. "Like life's too short, you know? So, I decided to take some time off College, see what else was out there. Get a new perspective." If only he knew what kind of awful perspective I'd found...

"Looks like you found someone to help you deal with the loss and all, huh?" I couldn't deny that. Pacey's face eased into a gentle smile. "Prince Charming?"

I bit my lip keeping a smirk at bay.

"More like a dark knight," I muttered as we walked out. "Nate's not fiction—he's real. Prince Charming doesn't exist."

Pacey laughed walking to his GMC Acadia. I climbed into the red Jeep stashing my shoulder-bag in the back, along with his backpack.

"You and Ginger are at it again?" I wasn't in a rush to be asked the normal stuff—like how me and Nathaniel met? Where?

I wanted to move forward, not look back. Unless truly forced.

I wasn't expecting Pace to stay quiet for so long. He stirred right into Amsterdam Avenue, speeding up before having to abruptly stop at a red light.

"No," he answered, voice closed off. That was new for him. "We broke up." My dubious glare had him stare ahead with heavy eyes. "For real this time—at least she says so. We spent most summer apart. No seeing each other, no talking over the phone, no texting. No nothing." He sighed, shoulders slumping. I drank the rest of my latte listening with a heavy heart. "I think she means it this time around," anyone capable of feelings could see Pacey wasn't satisfied with the change.

I couldn't tell if he heaved a groan from getting stuck in a fairly large line or because of Ginger—maybe both. Horns blared from all directions. Traffic sucked.

"Why, what happened?" their break-ups always lasted a week, at most.

A heavy sigh later he spilled, "She says I cheated on her—" noticing my stink-eye coming on, he shook his head. "Come on, Mel, you know me! I'm the nicest guy you can find in a ten-mile-radius. I respect women—I'm all for the equality between sexes and shit." True. Pacey was a humane and just person. "Unless... I'm totally wasted."

"Pacey!" I yelled, he retracted into the door.

"I was drunk—but I didn't cheat. I swear! It was a house party, it went on for hours. I got carried away and... and I woke up on a couch. There was this girl clinging to me..." I shook my head heaving a sigh. "Ginger walked in and saw us like that." His head hung for short seconds. "I woke up to her screaming how I was a fucker and a cheater, how she couldn't believe I'd done something like that after how much she trusted me—it was frigging accident. Nothing happened"

Incapable of stopping myself, I smacked his arm.

"Ouch," Pacey scooted as far away as possible. I almost awed—my slaps had never affected him. "You sure got a work out." You can thank my brother.

"You are such a dweeb." I lamented. "Why did you have to go and drink so much? It's bad for your liver, and apparently, for your romantic life. You should've learned your lesson back in New Year's." My head leaned on the window recalling a drunk Pacey getting naked to his boxers and storm into a fountain.

Seriously, this dude was the cookie-monster for booze.

"I know, I know..." he agreed with a painful sigh. "But that's not the only thing I have to tell you..." Oh boy, more problems? We'd just gotten together and already I wanted to run. "I kinda flunked a few classes." Of course he had.

"How many?"

"Just two," Pacey said with a tight tone, finally lurching the Jeep forward when traffic picked up a slow, sick pace. "History of Art and History of Architecture. History and me don't get along well."

Crossing my arms, I snapped.

"Maybe if you attended them the results would be better." I felt jealousy wrapping around my heart like a snake. He'd had a chance to make it through sophomore year and wasted it. If I'd been here... if he knew how lucky he was—I ground my teeth together. No, I wasn't going to be envious of Pacey. Parker, think about Parker—like I could ever truly forget.

Still, anger bubbled up. He was a grown man! He had to take responsibility for his life, his future. I wouldn't always fix things for him.

"I thought we talked about this Pace—you have to attend those classes, because honestly, you suck at them. Just reading notes and text books doesn't do it for you."

"But history is a bunch of made-up facts and dates—okay, maybe some of them happened—but who's to say their all true? Plus, who cares what happened in the past? It's over." I gave him a somber glare. "It's the truth. Most people want to forget it." He tried meekly.

"Fine, whatever you say." I slumped into the seat letting his thoughts battle amongst each other. He needed to think. "Do you know who's joining Columbia?" I turned my mood upside down.

His dark brow cocked, he could try and guess all he wanted—he'd never get it right.

"Anna."

His jaw dropped. It was actually funny to see.

"Anna... our Anna?" I nodded happy she'd put her Hive plans on hold. Her Aunt said she wouldn't be available for jobs for a whole College year, giving her a chance to see what she really wanted from life. "No way. When did that miracle happen?"

"Over summer. She met up with me at one point, things happened." I shrugged under my best friend's wide eyes. "She'll be studying Business. It's going to be fun, huh?"

"Yeah..." he blinked. "Not as much fun as sleeping through Mr. Richards' classes, though." He managed a dry chuckle.

***

Nate's POV

I crashed on the couch staring up at the ceiling.

Melissa was off to College.

Now, all I wanted to do, was jog after them and save Mel from that friend of hers. Who told him he could show up unannounced? Damn, if I had a car—my car—he wouldn't be driving her. I would. She'd arrive in style and I'd take the chance to eyeball every guy who dared glimpse at my girl.

I knew I couldn't do that.

I wanted Melissa's life to reorganize itself, like she'd never left. It was hard readjusting—harder to adjust.

Just glimpsing around the living room told me how much everything had changed—in both our lives. The couch I was sprawled on, had come from my house, as had the coffee table. Our bedroom was furnished with stuff I'd shipped from San Diego. Still, this didn't feel like my house. It was... a mix. Not that I didn't like being here with her, or feel welcome. I did feel very, very welcome.

It was a first, though, sharing a space with a girl. Growing up, I hadn't shared a bedroom with Drew, in College, I'd shared a dorm with Sam. Girls came and went, never stayed more than one night.

A thump came from behind the door.

I jerked into awareness, listening carefully. More tumbles ensued. Anna and her Aunt owned the apartment next to ours, but it wasn't them. Anna had moved to a dorm at Columbia—she was hell-bent on getting making College her oyster. I snorted, thinking back why I'd gotten a dorm.

Made it easier to get laid. And if Mel heard that thought she would pour paint down my head.

Anyway, Anna's Aunt moved to California so she could get more work done. Bottom line, the place was empty.

My assassin training kicked in as I stood from the black couch. Steadily, I twisted the knob.

"Aw man, why couldn't they make a machine to teleport things? This sucks dunky butt..."

Okay.

On a scale of 1 to 10 this scene disappointed me at a 20. When I'd cracked the door open, my heart half-craved to see a masked burglar, a killer—someone I could kick senseless—and yeah, I was aware it didn't sound normal. Instead, I got a girl moving boxes, plus complaining to herself. Guess I could write her off as nuts.

She seemed to be putting a lot of effort into getting one single box off the floor. I nearly snickered before leaning on the frame of Mel's house. When I was officially retired from the Hive, my sweet princess discoursed about how I had to fit-in and adapt.

Pft, like I don't know how to be a person.

I think she meant I should be less of an ass, though. It would be a hard one to change. With Mel it was different. Melissa mattered when other people didn't; I honestly didn't stop to think about what others thought of me—but it mattered what she thought. I wanted to be the person Melissa saw in me. I had to make an effort and... I saw that damn twinkle in her eye every time I did.

It made her over-the-moon-happy.

"Want some help with those?" my voice boomed off the dark marble walls.

If I was going to be less of a jackass to people all around, I should keep in a laugh as the girl with bleached hair dropped the box she'd worked so hard to pick up. I kept my lips super-glued together as she turned around with fright written all over.

I smirked my up-to-no-good smirk. I was a bad, bad person. Oh well.

She stumbled back a step, breathing out heavily.

"Christ, you just took ten years out of my life..."

I held up my hands, putting on my best friendly-neighbor-face.

"Didn't mean to scare you." Much, I added in my head.

"I didn't say you did, I'm just easily scared—and a klutz." Her pony tail fell to the side as she glanced down.

My eyes got stuck for a sec. Her lips... they were... they reminded me of Drew's. She sported the same full, plump lips. Minus the lipstick—they were the same plain perfection from movie stars.

My Adam's apple did a weird, hesitant up-and-down motion. Especially when I saw those lips curve up. Gunshots rang throughout my brain.

She's dead. This girl isn't her. She's dead, I kept on repeating until the flux of my blood turned normal.

My eyes managed to move from her distracting feature.

Her bleached hair matched the fair skin making it a low for contrast. Her cheekbones barely existed, they were flat and her chin was round. She was skinny, taller than most girls—and powerless to move boxes.

"Make an effort..." I whispered to myself sighing quietly and keeping my vision off her lips. "I can carry that if you want. It's my fault you dropped it." I offered in a lazy awkward pause.

"Huh," her hands were clutching the corners of the taped-shut carton box as she tilted her head up. "No, it's fine you don't have to. They're not your boxes."

Why did she have to be polite and refuse help? I wanted to help—no I didn't, the lips were freaking me out—focus, I told myself. This would make Melissa happy.

"No, really I want to help." I was glad it sounded far more convincing out loud than in my head. "I've got nothing better to do."

The young woman dragged her belongings a little more into the door. I was half-way to tag her with a martyr stamp, before her shoulders lowered a little.

"Are... are you sure you don't mind?" she wiped a wayward strand.

"Yeah, unless the couch misses me, I've got nothing else to do."

A little smile itched, "Oh, okay, if you don't mind." She shrugged skipping to press the elevator button, keeping it from closing. "There's plenty of heavy boxes in here. They're pretty unwilling to come out."

I made sure to close the door before walking off. Then peeked inside the small space I'd rather stir clear of.

"I managed to drag them in... But heavy lifting just isn't in my blood, I guess." She cracked up a little, and figuring there was no harm—I smiled smoothly.

"No, joke." I lifted four boxes in a pinch—all together they actually made a little weight, but not even close to what I could carry.

She hang outside, I figured she was keeping the elevator's door open. Bless the polite and kind.

"What's your name?" her voice fluttered from the hall as I lowered the stuff onto a table.

The apartment was a replica of Mel's, the only thing different was the decor.

"Nathaniel." I gazed around. I'd never been inside Anna's place. It was still furnished. "You rented this?"

I saw her fighting over with the same box from before. She was persistent, at least.

"Yep, a few weeks ago." She huffed, finally handling the box. "I'm Ashley, by the way." I nodded going past her, getting ready to bring the rest inside. "You live next door?" Ashley poked her head out, looking towards Melissa's—our—apartment. "It's not noisy around here, is it?"

Why did people think there was a need for small talk? I was good with silence.

Make an effort, make an effort... I chanted in my mind.

"I haven't been here long, but it's quiet for the most part—the neighbors are. Traffic's another story." Back in San Diego there hadn't been horns blaring 24/7. New York was fucked in that department—and part of the reason why I hadn't bothered to do anything about a car. It was a little crazy to drive inside this city.

Ashley was looking around when I strolled in anew.

"Do you want these anywhere special?" I imagined her later on, trying to move things about—she could simply unpack, though.

She came up to me when I set them down on the same table as the other ones. The girl had actually worked up sweat from pushing those motherfuckers into the elevator. A hand wiped across her forehead.

"Nah, you've done enough. The hard part's over." Ashley surveyed the boxes like they'd been made by Satan himself. "If it wasn't for you, I'd still be moving these in by the time Christmas rolled around. You're a real life saver, I should bake you something—you know, as thanks. I'm a cook—"

Thank God for cell phones.

Don't get me wrong, she was nice girl. And that was the problem. Too nice for my taste—I wanted to bail, but I knew I couldn't be impolite. Couldn't risk Mel finding out I'd started a war with a girl she'd probably like.

I tried the thankless hero act, "You don't need to do anything, I'll—" she held up a hand, and just like that, I was stuck listening to the phone call. I really hated being nice to people, they just couldn't accept help and say 'bye-bye', they had to repay you even if you didn't want to.

I kept my face from going all twisty.

"Hi, honey, you actually got the time zone right! Yeah, I got everything into the apartment—no, baby, I had help. Oh, just a nice neighbor... Okay, love you, too." I was drying-out just by standing there. Talk about awkward. "That was my boyfriend." She smiled tucking the phone away.

That was a no-need to no basis.

"I got that. I'll be going—"

Her eyebrows dipped, "But I was going to ask if there's anything I can cook for you?"

"No it's fine, I know how to cook." I whirled around pacing to my apartment door.

Her steps didn't follow, her voice did.

"I'm a professional cook, though, I normally don't do things for free. You sure you don't want anything?" her head was outside the door.

I waved swiftly with a quick twist of lips.

"I'm sure, thanks for offering."

"Okay," she shrugged with a friendly smile. "Nice to meet you, Nathaniel, see you around."

When her door closed I allowed myself to breathe a soft sigh. Melissa better appreciate my hard work and determination.

***

She wrapped her arms around me, snuggling her face into my chest.

"I missed you." She confessed while staring straight ahead at my black V-neck.

I chuckled.

"You missed my chest? I knew you only kept me around for my body." She rolled her eyes but didn't release me.

"I did miss it, especially in that first class. I could've really used a pillow." She patted my abs before looking up. "I missed all of you, though, even the teasing comments."

I wrapped her up, lifting her off the ground. Soon her head was leaning against mine. I could feel her breath, the hairs on my neck stood. It was pure madness what she could do to me.

"Classes were boring?"

"Everything is boring without you..." I wasn't sure if Mel meant for me to hear that—mainly because it fed my ego. I drew it into myself, into my soul. Where I kept every sweet, mushy thing Melissa had ever told me. "Nate," I heard and it was like an angel called out to me. "Are we going to stay here... like this or are we going someplace?"

Oh right. We were in the middle of the room, me holding her up to my height, her hanging onto my neck. A mischievous grin took my lips.

"Any requests as to where you'd like to go?" my eyebrows wagged just to rattle her.

She blushed faintly, not even realizing it.

"Couch's good for now."

"Couch it is." She squealed as my hold grew a little stronger right before I plopped us down.

Melissa licked her lips before lowering her chin onto me. Then we had one of those quiet moments where we stared at each other, silently. Her head tilted as she studied my face, like she was watching an exotic bird. Well, I fit on the exotic category with my French ascension and all. Her fingers tickled my scalp as she sorted my hair, my eyes drifted shut for a little while.

How was it possible that every single touch from her made high?

At her smooth chuckle I lazily opened them.

"What?"

"You're just cute sometimes." She smiled poking my cheek.

I was cute... she really was an angel, my very own personal angel—my little princess, that was able to see light anywhere—when everyone just saw darkness.

My hand coursed up and down her back causing her to relax further.

"How was the first day back?"

Her lips pouted, "It was..." I noticed how her cheeks began heating, all of her face actually. I perked an eyebrow. Melissa sucked at lying. "It sucked." Just like that the heat was gone. The truth was out.

"Was it really that bad?" Damn her lips were so close.

"Not everything was bad... I had fun showing Anna around Campus. She missed orientation." Mel shrugged like it was expected. "But I already have problems..."

Fear rushed my veins. I didn't want anything to ruin this for her—if there was a problem I'd erase it.

"Relax," she soothed knowing me well, knowing when my tension rose like a tidal wave about to erupt into a tsunami. "Normal ones. Pacey flunked two sophomore classes and Ginger broke up with him for real."

Oh. Well, what?

"Why are those your problems? You're not responsible for him."

Her palm patted my chest, placating me.

"He's like a brother to me—his problems matter." Brother. Each time I heard that, I was reminded I had one. One that didn't— "Like we care about each other's problems." Her voice pulled me from my thoughts as she stroke my cheek lightly.

I could tell her to forget his problems all I wanted, I knew she wouldn't listen. She'd get majorly pissed at me. Mel was a fixer—she liked to make things better. It was one of the reasons why I loved her—her selflessness. Like when she'd been stupid enough to get Anna onto the chopper instead of running to safety.

Thinking about that decision made me itch. Not in the good way. In the I wanna-tear-someone's-head-off way.

I hated that she'd put herself in danger for us—even me. I would give my life for this girl, she was just too precious.

I guess I loved that she thought of others... but she had to put herself first when it came to life and death decisions.

"Did he mention Parker?" My voice got softer. I could see how a dark cloud had surrounded her eyes this morning, she'd been afraid—not for what might happen to her. But to me—to us. She shook her head. "See? It went well. You have to listen to me more often. I hold the answers to all the questions."

Mel gave me a crooked grin tapping my nose.

"You wish," she drew out dragging her finger along my neck—I swear my body temperature was going up by the nanosecond. "I think he just didn't get a chance."

"How so?"

"When we were in the car he told me all the ways he'd screwed up while I was away. It pissed me off, so Pacey kept quite for the rest of our drive." Mel shifted, resting the side of her head on my peck. "Then I avoided him for the rest of the day. Anna helped." I saw her biting her lower lip, her personal nervous tick. It surprised me she still had a bottom lip after five months of stress—I was glad she did, though. It was a juicy-as-hell lip. "I'm pretty sure he'll bring it up at some point—he knows I was with Parker back in Philadelphia." A huge sigh left her.

I felt bad for her, I truly did. If the idiot hadn't moved like I told him, he'd still be alive and my princess wouldn't be sad and worried about what could happen.

"Enough about my day," Mel kissed my clavicle—I shuddered under her touch. "How was yours?"

That was an easy one.

"I was stuck here all day." I shrugged. "I met someone, though. Some girl who moved into Anna's apartment. I helped with the boxes."

"I know!" Mel bounced on top of me so suddenly, so excited—my teeth bit down so hard I thought a few broke.

I let my head fall back as she continued, unaware of what she'd just done to me. Sometimes Melissa could be a real kid. It was kind of... adorable. Other times, plain inconvenient.

"She's a cook, Anna told me. Is she nice? Is she hot?" when I had a chance of calming myself—all of me—I frowned at the second question. "Just kidding." Melissa cupped my face. "Seriously, though, did she seem nice?"

I let out a raspy breath. The effects of her bouncing breakout still lingering.

"Yeah, she's polite, friendly, all that crap sandwich."

"Everything you like in a person." Mel said with sarcasm, before taking a turn for the serious. "Were you nice and polite?"

I snorted, "I was on my best behavior." She seized my expression evaluating if I was telling the truth. I freed a hand, lifting it to my heart. "Scout's honor."

She giggled, "You were never a scout." Her finger poked my peck.

I grabbed at her hands, suddenly pulling them together, she collapsed onto me completely. Our nose tips brushed.

"Oh, wasn't I?" I hissed lowly, lips brushing her ear little by little—teasing. I chuckled when she squirmed wanting to get closer. "You're right, I was never a scout. I hated those pansy-ass uniforms" I nibbled on her lobe listening carefully for her moan.

"Nate," there it was.

The way my name dropped from her lips, coated in pure bliss and passion, made my head spin in circles, throw fireworks and whatever. I released her hands already knowing where they would end up. She loved messing with my hair.

"I feel bad for leaving you alone all day. I thought we were going to have lunch together, but Anna roped me in and I haven't spent any time with her lately..."

"It's fine," I massaged her shoulder. "But I'd like to have dinner with you—"

Her kiss came on strong. Strong melted into delicate, as delicate as her little heart. My hands cupped her butt making her groan from pleasure. She didn't want to get off me, didn't want my hands off her—most girls felt that way about me. But the reverse? Only with Melissa. She was the one girl I could never get enough of, my drug—my addiction.

I hated to pull her away. I could tell how much she'd been wanting to do this, she wasn't the only one.

"If we're going to eat dinner—not just each other—" I smiled with little breath in my lungs. "I have to make sure it's not a total brunt crisp." I pecked her as she grabbed my hand to keep me there.

"Sounds perfect."

Huh-uh.

Sounded like: screw dinner and onward with the make out marathon. I was all down for that.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Oh this has gotta be the good life
This has gotta be the good life
This could really be a good life, good life
" - One Republic

Tell me what you think :)