Till Death Do Us Part

Kyouya's Depression

Kyouya was lost inside his head as he sat in the class room. He couldn’t focus on anything for more than a few seconds- well that wasn’t quite true; he could focus on one thing.

The boy-Yuki.

“um-Kyouya,” Tamaki whispered, glancing over at his best friend. “You’re going to break your pencil if you keep your grip that tight.” Kyouya looked down to see he was indeed gripping it to the point where if he just squeezed it, the pencil would snap in half.

Why was he so angry this morning? Earlier he’d been annoyed with Tamaki, but there was no anger. It was the boy he sighed looking down at his desk. He was angry with this… Yuki.

“Kyouya, are you ok,” Tamaki asked at lunch. “You seem upset by something.”

“It’s nothing,” he brushed it off. “Just ignore me.”

Angels, he thought as he picked apart his food. Long ago when he was just a boy he’d met the Angels family. They consisted of a husband, a wife and two little girls. There was no boy child there, but then… where did Yuki come from?

He must have married in, Kyouya thought remembering the Hitachiin’s father. The boy must have married one of the girls. He wanted to wonder over whom it was but he knew, there really was only one possibility.

Kazuko Angles, the elder daughter. And from what he had seen Bambi, the younger one, wasn’t one for settling down. But Kazuko, he thought sitting back in his seat, she wanted to see the world. Even though they were so young when they met, Kyouya knew that she would not be held back. He also knew that if anyone could give her the freedom she so desired, Yuki could. The boy had that same air of determination as Kazuko, he would not be held back.

Tamaki approached him after class ended and they were about to head for the club. “Kyouya, are you ok? You’ve been out of it all day”

Kyouya smiled at the blond boy, “I’ll be fine, I'm just distracted by the boy we met this morning, Yuki Angels.”

“Yes, I too have been thinking long and hard about the boy,” Tamaki said with a gleam in his violet eyes. “And I think we should invite him to join the club!”

Kyouya paused, “really? Why?”

“Well I think our club could use more diversifying characters,” Tamaki explained. “And Yuki definitely has this air of mystery to him that would be sure to bring in more customers!”

Kyouya struggled, desperately searching for a reason why this was a bad idea but he could think of none. So he simply shrugged and they continued walking to the club room. As they changed Kyouya found himself hoping and praying that Yuki did not show up to the Host Club today.

Today’s theme was a tropical paradise carefully planned by Kyouya himself. Tamaki couldn’t resist the theme when Kyouya had slipped the Bali photo book onto his desk. Now that he thought about it, this would be Haruhi’s first time hosting with a theme. He wondered idly how she would cope with the information and decided it would be best for him to remind her of her debt to keep her in line.

The guests started to arrive and he went about his duties; entertaining the ladies and bringing a smile to their face. Kyouya, as one of the founding members of the club, believed whole heartedly in the club’s motto. Though he didn’t let himself get swept away in emotion like Tamaki did.

He heard the door open and paused, the boy was here. He sighed with discontent, knowing that Tamaki would offer him a chance to join their little club. He didn’t know anything about this Yuki so he couldn't say whether he would join them or not. In fact when he searched for information on the young man he found next to nothing. A few academic awards, one in music, but there were no pictures of him. Everything he sent in was sent in anonymously with only the name Yuki Angles attached. The prizes were never collected as there was no address to send it too. When no one stepped forward to claim the work, the prize was given to the runner up, Kazuko Angels. He supposed that’s how they met. He supposed her family, often the arbitrator of the contests he won, tracked down the young man that already claimed their name and arranged the marriage to their oldest daughter.

He walked over to where the club members had gathered when the boy started singing. His voice was beautiful; a little high for a boy but that didn’t seem to be a problem for the girls who flocked to him. “He’s good,” Kyouya admitted opening his notebook to pretend to write.

“Not that good,” Hikaru muttered, crossing his arms over his chest. Clearly he didn’t like the new boy already, Kyouya wondered why.

“What do you think he’s doing here,” Haruhi asked with a thoughtful frown on her face. She clearly didn’t object to the newcomer like Hikaru did but seemed to be curiously cautious about him.

“We invited him,” Kyouya said as he guested between himself and Tamaki who was staring opened mouthed at the boy. Yuki had ceased playing and was now approaching the group, a playful smirk on his lips. Kyouya wanted to say no, that this boy was not welcome in their club. But he had proven himself more than worthy of being one of them. He couldn’t openly object to this boy, his hands were tied.

But as he walked with them towards the couches to meet the boy he felt, just a little bit, happy.