Status: New look entirely, same story!

The Sake of the Show

The Realization

“Do you lot have any sort of decency?” Blair complained, pinching her nose with her thumb and her forefinger as the horde of rambunctious boys pushed their way into her apartment. They were all dressed to the nine’s and talking over one another as they greeted her loudly with hugs and ignored her question. Jon and Corey brought up the rear, looking less than apologetic as they took in her comfortable clothing. Blair had been dressed for an evening in nursing a glass of wine, but apparently they had other plans.

It was well into November and American Thanksgiving was right around the corner. Blair had been sinking into isolation as she submerged herself with her work, hung out with Dina and Abby, and got to know Jessie. It seemed that she only saw Corey for their new Monday ritual anymore, and Jon was too busy staying in shape to have any form of social life. Plus, she was developing a hunch that he had a lady friend on the side as well.

“We have no decency.” Marcus grinned at her, tapping her cheek as he clucked his tongue. “You don’t look ready to go out at all… Unless you’re going for the bum look.”

“Bugger off.” Blair hissed as she swatted him away from her face. “I wasn’t aware that you blokes were even coming over. I had a hot date with my wine bottle that you all rudely just interrupted.”

“Get dressed, you’re coming out with us.” Corey nudged her side, the first words he had spoken to her since he’d burst into her living quarters. She narrowed her eyes at him for a moment before she spun on her heels, leaving them to the confines of her living room so she could make herself presentable. Something was telling her that they wouldn’t have taken no for an answer. She could hear the beasts boys shouting jovially about one thing or another as she quickly dressed and spruced up her appearance.

“You look like an entirely different person!” Marcus cheered as Blair stepped back into view, as ready as she was going to be to take on the night. The minions all clapped as she glared at each and every one of them.

“Marcus, your ass is going to look entirely different when I shove you off of my balcony.” Blair snapped as she angrily shoved her feet into her nude colored pumps. Laughter commenced as Corey stepped behind Blair and placed his hands on her shoulders.

“Relax,” he muttered, his thumbs lightly digging into her spine and easing her rigid muscles. Every fiber within her instantly relaxed as his fingers lightly prodded her skin. “They’re just trying to rile you up.”

Blair shuddered inwardly at the sound of his voice before she pulled away from him lightly, giving him a small smile. “Just please tell me we’re driving separately. If I have to be in the same car as both Marcus and Andrew, I might scream.”

“Blair, roast in hell.” Andrew patted her cheek as he walked by, ducking as Corey swung at him reflexively. He hooted with laughter as he skittered out of the apartment, the rest of the ruffians following suit.

Blair was honestly surprised that they made it to the bar in one piece. She stepped out of Corey’s SUV and straightened her dress, ignoring his eyes on the back of her frame as she thought about the drinks that she would need to consume that evening. When they got inside, Marcus was the first one to buy her a drink.

“Is this a peace offering?” She sipped on the vodka tonic as she gazed up at him innocently, fluttering her eyelashes in the mocking way that she knew infuriated most of the guys to no end. Marcus narrowed his eyes at her, his hands firm on his hips.

“Only to avoid you trying to kill me.” He patted her on the head before he grabbed the rest of the drinks and made his way to the table. Blair followed him, hating the eyes that she felt on the back of her neck as she slid into the booth beside Corey. People were always watching her when she was with this group. When she gazed across the table, she nearly balked.

“Dina? Jon?” Blair was surprised to see that her best friend had met them at the swanky establishment, already tucked into a booth beside Jon and a few of the guys that had already claimed. The moment everyone was seated the first round of drinks were called for, and the real fun began.

***


“Corey, stop!” Blair giggled, clutching a large margarita as her eyes squinted at him. Corey slid an arm around her shoulders comfortably, laughing in spite of how slaphappy she was at the moment. She was on her fifth margarita after a round of shots with the guys, which meant that she was definitely on the path to intoxication. She could not handle her alcohol well.

“Blair, you’re such a lightweight.” Marcus teased her from across the table, smirking at her state as he sipped on a beer. Andrew and Nick had encouraged her quick consumption of the margaritas, but now that she was getting sloppy they were nowhere to be found.

“Shut up, Markie-Mark!” Blair shot back, letting out a giggle as she gazed up at Corey for approval. He shook his head out of amusement, absentmindedly fondling with a strand of her hair. It was one of those small moments that made him feel incredibly close to her; this was the way it seemed like it should be, with the two of them out and enjoying themselves together with the company of their closest friends.

“I think we need to start cutting you off already.” Corey teased her, pushing her margarita away from her. She let out a little shriek as she slapped his hand away before she leaned into him, wrapping her arm around his mid-section.

“Don’t be like that.” She groaned playfully, reaching up and pressing her lips to the corner of his mouth. Corey turned to look in her in surprise, but before he could say anything Blair was firmly pressing her lips flush against his. He instinctively pulled her closer, smiling at the taste of strawberry on her lips.

“Blair,” He mumbled as she pulled away, her eyes heavily lidded as she gazed up at him. Jon who stumbled back to the table brandishing his phone, interrupted them.

“Bee, it’s Patrick!” Jon thrust the phone into her hands. “He wants to talk to you!”

Corey’s side became cold as Blair flew out of the booth, stumbling a little as she pressed the phone to her ear. She shouted loudly, “Hold on Pat, let me go outside first! It’s bloody loud as all hell in here.”

He sighed disappointedly as he watched Blair drop everything for Patrick, disappearing into the crowd with the phone clutched firmly in her hand. When he averted his gaze, he saw Marcus and Jon both staring at him. He refrained from rolling his eyes as he spoke, “Do you want something?”

“You’re so jealous!” Kruger shouted gleefully, smacking his palm off of the table.

“You’re jealous of Kaner,” Jon pointed out, as if this were the lowest thing in the world. ”You should have seen your face. I think you would have strangled him if he were here.”

“You two are really annoying. Jon, did you leave Dina by herself?” Corey sneered, feeling victorious as his teammate made a face of recognition and headed back in the direction he came from. He rounded on Kruger, who boasted a proud smirk. “I don’t get what you’re smirking about, Kruger.”

“I’m not afraid of you, Corey.” Marcus informed him calmly, finishing off his beer. “It’s your little girlfriend that scares me. She’s short and angry, both which are scary traits for a woman to have.”

“She’s not angry.” Corey defended the blonde. Kruger scoffed.

“She beat Viktor with a flip flop for calling her fat. That seems pretty angry to me.”

“I beat Viktor with a bloody shoe because he’s annoying!” Blair slurred as she sat back down, dropping Jon’s phone on the table loudly. “The connection was bad, I couldn’t talk to Pat. I miss him so much.”

Marcus smirked at Corey again, silently egging him on in the worst of ways. Corey opted to be the bigger person, turning his head and ignoring the childish antics. He focused his attention on Blair, who was now curling into his side with her head resting on his shoulder.

“Corey, I’m really tired. Will you take me home?” Her voice was soft like honey, dripping from her lips with the twist of something else behind it that made his heart lurch painfully. He all but shoved her out of the booth as he stood up, pulling on his jacket and dutifully helping her into her own. She wobbled uneasily on her thin heels so he put his arm around her to keep her balanced.

He ignored the knowing looks his teammates gave him, but the icing on the cake was Dina shouting drunkenly, “Remember to wrap it before you tap it!”

Corey could feel himself blushing to his roots at the idea of getting Blair into his bed. She tugged on his arm, bringing him back to planet Earth and away from his luxurious thoughts.

Getting her into the vehicle and buckled up had been a struggle; the alcohol had rendered her limbs nearly useless as she sloppily flopped at Corey’s will. By the time he got around into the driver’s seat, she began to ramble and chew his ear off. The topics were endless. She chattered about the wedding Elina was planning, baby Madelyn, Dina and Jon, and then her concern for Patrick’s well being in Switzerland.

Corey had just gotten into the North side when she put her hand on his bicep firmly, nearly jolting him out of his skins. “Corey, you’ve been mad at me. Why?”

He accidentally tapped the gas harder than he intended, and her head flew back. “Sorry, sorry. Blair, I’m not mad at you. I could never be mad at you.”

“You’ve been avoiding me. I see Andrew more than I see you.” She complained. Corey swallowed guiltily- this much was true. He had been avoiding her, because a moment not spent with Blair meant a moment he didn’t have to stress over what the hell they’d gotten themselves into.

“I promise I haven’t been. I’m not mad at you. I’ve just been training with Jon and stuff, he doesn’t want me to lose my touch while we aren’t playing.” Corey explained, although he was sure drunken Blair could not process what he was saying. He pulled up in front of her apartment complex, throwing the car in park with the intent of helping Blair’s dizzy self up to her apartment.

She twisted in her seat to face him, her eyes hooded and thick with the need for sleep as she stared at him with dangerous eyes. Her voice was becoming that sweet, soft tone again as she spoke, “Corey, I’m really sorry. I don’t want you mad at me.”

Blair leaned over the console, her face inches from his as she gazed up into his eyes searchingly. He was contemplating moving that strand of hair that seemed to always fall into her eyes when she closed the space between them, her hand flying to touch his cheek as she pressed her lips against his. Corey was momentarily stunned for a few moments, unsure of how to react before he finally felt himself responding properly to the feel of her buttery soft lips.

“I’ve wanted to do that for so long.” She slurred breathily, a lazy grin on her lips as she giggled at him. Running her hand down his cheek as an afterthought, she gathered her clutch and her shoes and stepped out of his SUV. Corey was still so taken aback; he forgot to follow after her to be sure she got in safely.

Blair had kissed him twice. And the second time, no one was around. Not one of her friends, and certainly not one of his annoying teammates. She had the full intention to kiss him and she did. He raised his fingertips to his lips, wondering if someone spiked his drink and he was simply delusional.

I’ve wanted to do that for so long.

Boy, he thought to himself bitterly. She must’ve been really in the bag. With his negative thoughts plaguing him, Corey sped home in a mood that made him want to chuck his prized possessions at the wall. He had come to the full realization that he'd dug himself this ditch, knowing that he had absolutely no friends that he could relay this situation to because then he'd reveal his lie. And surely, they would never let him live it down if they found out. Especially not cocky Adam Burish, who would probably board the first flight to Chicago just to mock him.

Corey contemplated calling his mother until he realized the early hour, so he resorted to laying face down on his bed in a state of self-pity. He allowed his mind to become a war zone, mulling over the pros and cons of Blair just forgetting her drunken stupor all together.

As he tried to summon sleep, he fought with the strong taste of that stupid strawberry margarita that still lingered on his lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to do some shameless self-promoting here; earlier today I started my Viktor Stalberg story, which can be found here. I just couldn't resist...

Once again, thank you to all of those who consistently comment, read, and all that jazz! I love you all so much. :3