Never Land

Jodie

Jodie was pleased with the silence that washed over the group as they walked through the forest. It had been a few hours since they had stopped for lunch and they hadn’t done much talking since. The silence was so calming and peaceful, and it let Jodie forget all about the idiot girl Louis had brought back and the problems she was causing, even though she was the whole reason she had to be walking this deep into the forest.

Leading the front of the pack, Jodie didn’t really have to focus on much besides walking until Liam walked alongside her, letting out a deep breath. She knew that he had something to talk to her about because it seemed like lately she was the one he was always confiding in. She still hadn’t decided if that was a good or bad thing.

“I’ll be surprised if the brother doesn’t kill Louis before this whole thing’s over with,” Liam said quietly, letting out a small laugh.

Jodie turned to him with her lips pursed, head tilted to one side. “What? Why would you think that?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Liam asked, stuffing his hands in his pockets. “Louis has completely lost it for her.”

Jodie shook her head, trying to ignore Liam’s words. There wasn’t supposed to be a girl for Louis to lose it for. She wasn’t supposed to have to worry about things like that, but with every smile Louis gave Evelyn it became more painfully obvious that Jodie didn’t have Louis to herself anymore. She didn’t have to accept it, though.

“I’m sure he’ll forget all about her as soon as she leaves,” Jodie countered, keeping her gaze focused on the trees in front of her. “Which is why we’ve got to get them out of here as soon as possible.”

At that, Jodie began walking more quickly, Liam struggling a bit to keep up with her. They’d completely lost the others, but Jodie didn’t seem to care. She just kept walking as quickly as she could, trying to put as much distance between herself and that girl as was possible.

“Jodie, wait up!” Liam called to her, his hand reaching out for her arm. When his skin met hers, she turned around, her face looking as hot and angry as the sun that was beating down on them. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Jodie said quickly, shaking her head. “I just want her out of her.”

Liam’s eyebrow furrowed as he looked down at her, biting his lip nervously. “Jodie, you don’t – you don’t like Louis, do you?”

“What?” Jodie laughed out, shaking her head a bit too quickly. “Of course not.”

Liam’s eyes lit up, catching her lie immediately. He knew her better than that.

“You do, don’t you?”

She shook her head.
“How long?”

“Liam, I don’t like–”
“How long?”

“I don’t know,” Jodie said softly, letting out a deep breath. “A while, I guess.”

Liam took a step back, his lip turned up. He looked so confused and shocked, and Jodie realized he really didn’t have any clue at all.

His eyes looked shocked as a blank expression washed over his face. He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. It wasn’t until a few moments later that the group caught up, pulling Jodie and Liam’s attention away from one another.

“We thought we lost you,” Louis said, chuckling as he looked at both of them.

Next to Jodie, Liam let out a groan, his face turning red at the sight of Louis. He sucked in a deep breath, ignoring the smile that Louis was giving him, and turned back to the direction they were headed without another word.

Harry looked at Jodie with wide eyes, both hands wrapped around the straps of his pack. “What did you do to piss him off?”