Never Land

Jodie

If Jodie didn’t absolutely loathe Evelyn already, she would’ve hated her now. Evelyn had almost gotten Louis killed – she had almost gotten them all killed – and the sooner they could get her and her brother home the better.

Jodie was following several feet behind Louis and Liam, who were at the front of the pack, and barely paid attention to what she was doing. It wasn’t until she looked up that she saw the small swamp set out in front of them with a billow of smoke flowing over the top of it. She had never seen anything like it in Never Land before and wondered if there were alligators hiding somewhere below the surface.

“Stop!” Tiger Lily shouted, but it was too late. Louis and Liam were collapsed on the ground next to the swamp, the steam flowing over them and making their bodies just barely visible. Evelyn shouted loudly, and it made Jodie wonder why they had brought the girl along at all. Evelyn was darting forward trying to rush to Louis’s side, but Tiger Lily shouted to Niall. “Stop her!”

Niall wrapped his arms around his sister’s waist, stopping her from moving forward any closer. She had fallen to the ground on her knees, crying softly, while she tried to break away from Niall.

“What is this place?” Jodie asked Tiger Lily, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“It’s the Sleeping Swamp,” Tiger Lily said simply, folding her arms across her chest as she spoke. “They won’t wake up until they get away from that smoke.”

“But – but how will we get them?” Harry asked, coming into the conversation a few moments late, like he was too focused on something else.

“I have an idea,” Jodie said, pulling out some her handkerchiefs from her bag and passing one over to Harry. “If we covers our faces, we won’t breathe it in and we’ll be able to pull them away.”

Harry turned to Tiger Lily. “Will it work?”

Tiger Lily shrugged her shoulders, her arms still crossed. “I don’t see why not.”

With that, Jodie and Harry tied the handkerchiefs over their mouths and noses before walking towards the boys. Jodie moved for Louis, while Harry grabbed Liam, and they took them by their arms and pulled them back towards Niall, Evelyn and Tiger Lily.

The moment Niall let go off Evelyn, she ran straight for Louis and collapsed to her knees in front of him, grabbing onto his hand while she pushed his hair off his forehead. Jodie took a step back to get away from the girl, though she didn’t understand why Evelyn was the one who needed to be by Louis’s side so badly. She had only just met him.

It didn’t take long before Louis began to stir, letting out a small yawn as he opened his eyes. When his eyes met Evelyn’s, he smiled at her, while tears ran down her cheeks.

“Did I fall asleep?” He asked, his smile widening as he looked at her. Evelyn laughed then pressed her forehead against Louis’s, nodding it softly. Tears still fell from her eyes, and Louis reached up to push one away before smiling again. “It’s okay. I’m awake now.”

Evelyn laughed again, nodding her head more quickly, and Louis pulled her down into a hug, which almost made Jodie gag. It was disgusting the amount of touching the two of them always insisted on doing, and she let out a long breath through her nose.

“What happened?” Liam asked next to Jodie, no one even caring that he was awake. He was rubbing at his eyes while he moved to sit up.

“You fell asleep and wasted about an hour of daylight,” Jodie said, arms folded across her chest as she watched Louis and Evelyn with a grimace. She paused, watching Louis rub his hands through Evelyn’s perfectly blonde hari, before speaking again. “We need to get them home. Now.”