Never Land

Melaina

Melaina splashed her fin into the water, watching the water run off the scales in a daze. It had been two days since her escape from Captain Zayn’s pirate ship. Two days since she confessed to Nereus and her father that she was in love with Harry, a human. For a short period of time, she had assumed she would never lay eyes on the curly-haired boy she cared so deeply for. She feared she would never see his bright green eyes or shy, dimpled grin that he would shoot at her every time their eyes met. It was a crushing feeling to think such things. This place, their special spot, would have faded into a memory. But, something strange had happened and her father had simply … let her go.

They say that parents only want their children to be happy. Melaina had never thought that was true. Her planned marriage to Nereus was just one of many things that she led her to believe that. All throughout her life she had restricting rules, keeping her from being truly free and happy. But, after talking with her parents at length, they had both decided in what would make her happy even if it wasn’t exactly their plan for her. Living life as a human was the last thing they had thought their daughter would want, but they had never assumed she would fall in love with one either.

It turns out that a marriage between a mermaid and a human would actually be mutually beneficial. Though their king was upset in losing his son’s future bride, he was happy to bridge the gap between the two so they could live more peacefully. Mutual protection from the pirates, though it seemed Zayn had his mind on other things than them these days, and help in any trouble the other may have on land or on sea seemed like a grand idea. Nereus was probably the most upset to see his bride go, though Melaina had no idea why. He had his choice of any of the mermaids and she was definitely not the most popular or beautiful among them. But, he had seemed genuinely sad to say goodbye to her though she knew she would be visiting the sea often. Being turned human wouldn’t make her love the sea any less and she would have to see her parents and Talia again.

Being gone for two days with no word, she wondered if Harry would even show up or if something terrible had happened to him on that island. She hoped that one of his friends would tell her, though. While she waited as the sun began its descent she felt her heart grow heavy. She missed him dearly and wanted to see his face, deliver the good news, but it seemed as though he would not be showing. She nearly jumped back in the water when she heard a pebble fall into the water behind her. Snapping her head around she saw him, hands deep in his pockets as he stood on the rocks above her with an unreadable expression lit up by the gorgeous orange sunset.

“I never thought I would see you again.” He confessed, after a moment of tense silence. Within seconds he was jumping down to be on her level and brought her in for a desperate and passionate kiss. “My God I was so worried. I heard that the pirates had caught a mermaid and I knew that it was you. I never should have asked for your help. I have put you in so much danger.”

“Harry, I’m all right. It’s all right.”

“So, you haven’t married?”

“No …” She chuckled, shaking out her damp hair. “No, I haven’t married. The boy I’m promised to has yet to ask me.”

It took a moment for Harry to realize what she was saying and, slowly, a grin crept across his face. “Really? You and I … we can …”

“If you got what I need.”

“Have I ever let you down before?” He teased, pulling a little vile from his pocket. It was a swirling green potion that let off a slight glow. “Unfortunately, there are no instructions, but I think you have to drink it.”

“I do.” She stared at the liquid, taking it in her hand. No mermaid had ever made this decision because it was permanent. They had wanted to see what it was like to walk on land but it was a giant leap to take. If she didn’t love Harry so much, she wondered if she would have had the courage to pop the cork and gulp it down in one sip.

It started as a tingle in her toes and gradually she saw her fin turn to pale skin from her feet up her shins and knees then all the way up to where her fin stopped above her new belly button. Harry, ever the gentleman, quickly shed his button down for her to put on as she was completely nude save for her shell top and she put it on while splashing her feet and giggling. “It worked … You’re human, Melaina.”

“I can’t believe it … it feels so weird.” Harry laughed with her, watching her splash her feet.

“Do you think you can stand?” She nodded, allowing him to stand up first and gently pull her to her feet. She had no balance standing up and nearly caused them both to topple back in the water but he grabbed her waist and held her to him tightly. “Maybe we should wait a little bit to head back?”

Melaina shook her head and grinned up at him, moving so their lips were inches apart before he swooped down to kiss her again. “I want to start my life on land with you … now.”

Harry nodded, letting her lean on him as they got off the rocks and to the beach before he bent down and picked her up to carry her bridal style. “I can’t wait to show you everything on this island, love.”

She was already in awe of the beautiful trees that she had only seen from a distance. And, seeing the sea from her new position on the beach was absolutely breathtaking. Harry saw her attention was on the sun setting below the water and stopped, letting her stand on the sandy beach and look out at what was once her home. “This is what you see every day … every time you came to see me … it’s so beautiful.”

“The sea is beautiful for many reasons, but I brought the loveliest thing back to land with me this time.” He said, kissing her hair. She looked up at him, beaming. “Ready to go home?”

“Absolutely.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading!
Harry and Melaina finally get their happy ending!
xoxo, Erin