Status: Ruby red slippers.

Oz

Cecily Eppet

As the group continued through the dark forest Cecily couldn’t shake the uneasy feeling that had seized her. The trees simply watched them, not speaking a word between each other. Their thick, gnarly branches seemed to reach out like hands, and as the group finally decided to stop and set up camp for the night, Cecily feared the trees might drag them into the darkness before morning. She simply sat down as the Niall and Rowan started looking around for wood, but when they made to snap off one of the branches she shot up.

“Don’t do that.” She whispered. “You’ll make them angry.”

“Trees don’t get angry.” The boy, Louis snapped. “This whole place is rubbish and I’m not buying your whole dog and pony show.”

“Louis maybe we should listen to them…” Marianne tried, but Louis simply scoffed.

“Trees don’t have feelings, they don’t talk, and they aren’t going to hurt us.” He said. And before anyone could stop him he grabbed a branch, starting to pull it off when a shrill, blood curdling scream broke through the forest. Everyone covered their ears as Cecily ran over to Louis, her eyes fiery.

“You stupid boy!” She hissed. “You’re going to get us killed!” His eyes were wide as he looked up into the crisscrossing black branches that blocked out the sky.

“It must be a bird-” He started but the two had no more time to argue before they felt something wrap around their legs. They looked down just in time to see what looked like black snaked before they were flung up into the air, screaming.

“Cecily!” Liam screamed. “Louis!” But as the pair shot up the other’s voices became like a distant whisper. Louis looked at her with wide eyes before having to block his face, trying to protect it from the branches that clawed at them both. Finally after what seemed like a thousand years they stopped, coming face to face with a massive tree trunk. Then before their eyes they watched as the bark began twisting and swirling until a face appeared. His eyes were dark red, and locked on Louis as he spoke, his voice shaking the trees around him and sending birds flying.

“Who dares to attack Radanoak, the king of the trees?” He boomed. His very voice caused Louis and Cecily to tremble as the tossed them up before gripping them around the waist, watching them. Louis was frozen, his eyes wide as he stared at the massive face before him. Cecily looked over, taking a deep breath before she spoke.

“My name is Cecily Eppet your majesty.” She greeted, trying to keep her voice from shaking as she gave a small bow. “I apologize for my friend, he does not know the common courtesies of Oz.”

“Is he an imbecile?” Radanoak growled. “How dare he-”

“Yes your majesty he is.” She said quickly. “Please, we meant you no harm. We just have been making our way through your forest and were looking for firewood.”

“So you attack the almighty king Radanoak?” He bellowed, shaking them. “I should kill him right now!” He began squeezing Louis but Cecily shot forward, grabbing his branches. She couldn’t let the savior of Oz die, no matter how stupid or rude he was.

“Your majesty I beg of you, kill me instead!” Both of them froze, looking at her as she bit her lip, begging for sympathy.

“You are not the one who attacked-”

“But this man is very important to me.” She whispered. “He is important to all of Oz, and that includes you too. So if you need revenge, I beg of you take me instead. Louis must go on.” Louis stared at her, this freakish girl who was offering to be killed for him in shock. He bit his lip, regretting his harsh words back in the dungeon when she had tried to help him.

Radanoak looked at Cecily for a long time before opening his grip on her and letting her sit in the palm of his hand. She looked at him with wide eyes as he simply watched her for a moment. “Tell me how this imbecile is going to save Oz.”

“You know as well as I do your majesty that when Oz is in a time of need a savior always comes from the land of Kansas. The great and powerful Oz did, then Dorothy Gale, and now Louis and his sister. If they have come there must be a reason why. Saviors do not come to Oz lightly.”

Radanoak mulled this over, looking between the two of them for a long time before his gaze stayed trained on Louis. “Is this true, are you a savior from the land of Kansas?” Louis looked over to Cecily who eagerly shook her head.

“Yes.” He said, trying to sound hero-like. “Yes I am…” He turned to Cecily again, who was mouthing royalty over and over. He then turned back, giving a small bow like she had. “Your majesty.”

“Well excellent then. I have been seeing dragons as of late and royal guards have been terrorizing my forest.” He sat Louis down next to Cecily, looking at both of them. “How may I help you savior of Oz?”

“Cecily would know better than I would.” He admitted sheepishly.

“Very well then. How may I be of service?” He asked, turning to Cecily.

“Please, keep the guards away. They wish to kill Louis and his sister.”

“Very well, I will do what I can. I cannot make promises however.”

“I understand that, and thank you your majesty.” She whispered. “May we return to our friends now? They must be terribly concerned.”

“Ah yes, they’re trying to climb up my trunk.” He said, laughing. “They can’t even get to the first branch.” Cecily laughed along with him as he started to bring them back to the ground, but Louis stopped him.

“Excuse me.” He said, looking at Radanoak. “But could, you know, the great and powerful savior of Oz,” Cecily rolled her eyes, chuckling at him. Louis looked over, giving her a small smile and watched as she turned burgundy. “May we trouble you for some firewood?”

“Of course.” He said. He then reached up into the thick tangle of branches, coming back down with enough firewood for a small army. “This should last you a few days. Now off you go then.”

With that he quickly brought the two back down through the branches before setting them softly on the ground, the firewood plopping down beside them before retracting back up. Cecily felt arms around her as Rowan and Ilithyia hugged her tightly, Marianne doing the same for Louis. “We thought you were done for!” Marianne whimpered, gripping Louis tightly. “How did you get out?” As the others pulled away from them Louis nodded to Cecily.

“She saved my ass.” He said simply. He then looked at her, his blue eyes sparkling and causing Cecily’s heart to race again. “Thanks.”

“Anytime.” She whispered, turning bright red. She then felt arms around her as Marianne gave her a tight squeeze.

“Thank you for saving my brother.” She said, pulling away and grinning. “I know he can be a bit of a meathead-”

“Hey!” Louis objected.

“But he’s still my brother.” Cecily nodded, giving her a small nod.

“I must protect you. We all must.” She said simply. She then cleared her throat before turning to Liam. “Now that I spoke to the king I’m going to go see if the other trees have anything to say.” She then quickly wandered off, eager to get away for a moment and breathe. She walked over to a stump, sitting down before she heard a voice.

“Hey.” She spun around to see Louis and jumped up.

“You shouldn’t be out here by yourself.” She said quickly.

“Neither should you.”

“I’m not the savior of Oz.” She said, blushing as he stepped closer to her.

“But you saved the savior of Oz, that has to count for something.” She blushed, looking back at the ground as she heard him walk over to her. He gently tilted her head up and her eyes went wide. She started shaking as his eyes met hers. “I um… I’m sorry for calling you a freak.” She quickly took a step back, needing to put some space between them.

“It’s fine.”

“No it’s not. You just saved my life.”

“I have to keep you alive, it’s my job.”

“You could have died.” He said, taking another step towards her as she took another one back. Her heart was thudding at a million miles an hour as he looked at her. Finally she shook her head.

“I have to go.”

“Cecily just let me-” She shook her head, running off into the forest and vanishing into the branches as Louis let out a long sigh, plopping down on the same stump she had just been on. Finally he stood, making his way back to camp to wait for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor little Louie!
The amazing Katie is up next
So I know you're already excited!

oxoxoxox
LS