Status: Ruby red slippers.

Oz

Rowan Timbers

Black smoke spiraled far away against the sapphire blue of the sky. The black wisps twirled around one another like dancing ribbons, smooth but scary against a sky that was so blue, so beautiful. Sometimes the dancing smoke was farther, and sometimes it was closer. But it always meant the same thing, and that was not a good thing, especially in the land of Oz.

Rowan Timbers bit her lip as she sat in a tree just off of the yellow brick road, her blue eyes fixed on the towering smoke. Her heart panged, knowing that it was another sign that something was very off in Oz. Things like dragons and burning villages never happened unless someone made them happen. But who that someone was, was always difficult to find out.

The breeze shifted and blew through her long, light brown hair, making braid swing slightly with the breeze. The leaves rustled with the wind, happy as could be. It was like they were singing, and if these had been some of the live trees, Rowan knew they certainly would have sang for her.

“Rowan!” The sound of the familiar voice calling her name made her turn, looking down the road. A smile lit her face when she saw her best friend in the entire world walking up the road, his tall figure and blonde hair a stark contrast against the gold of the road. “Just because you’re named after a tree, doesn’t mean you have to live in one.”

Rolling her eyes, the girl easily slide from limb to limb, a graceful twig in the breeze. She landed on the floor below her with easy grace, almost like a feline. Niall shook his head at her, a smile lighting his handsome face as he tossed her an apple. She caught it and crunched into it, savoring the taste. “You see the recent smoke?”

She grimaced as she chewed her delicious bite of apple, nodding. They both sat down in the grass, leaning against the tree. Rowan loved sitting under the shades of the trees with Niall. They had been best friends for as long as she could remember, and he was the greatest person she knew. “Fifth one this month, by my count.”

He nodded, his beautiful blue eyes staring at the black against the sky. Niall and Rowan had discussed the sightings of a dragon in the Dark Forest and the destruction that was slowly coming to smaller towns. No one in the Emerald City was convinced that it was the work of a witch, or something dark though.

For years, there had been peace. Dorothy Gale had destroyed the last wicked witch of them all. Or so they had thought. Slowly things in Oz were turning dark again, and Rowan could almost bet that it had something to do with their ruler, whom she did not like at all.

Niall had agreed with her on that opinion, and luckily, they had discovered a group of people who shared that very dark, very dangerous opinion. This small underground group of people that suspected was lead by a boy no older than Rowan. Liam Payne was someone that Rowan looked up to for his level headedness, and his ability to plan and his unwavering bravery.

Then there was the lovely Cecily Eppet, odd in her own ways, but smart nonetheless. The girl who often walked through the woods, keeping to herself knew just as well as the others that there was something amiss, and her trips among the trees often brought back evidence that something in Oz wasn’t right.

Last in their small group was Ilithyia Snowberry, a delightful girl eager to set things right. Rowan was fond of her need to help others, even if she could be stubborn sometimes. Ilithyia was one of those adventurous souls.

“I expect it’s going to start getting worse,” Niall said quietly, looking around as if to make sure there was no one to hear them. There wasn’t. They were alone, as they very often were. Rowan was always alone, her family having passed a long time ago in a fire. “Think Liam will call a meeting?”

Rowan shrugged, almost finishing her apple. She was almost sure that Liam would call for a meeting after this recent find to discuss what should be done, but she wanted to ignore that for a moment and relax with Niall, let his warmth radiate towards her.

For as long as she could remember, Niall was the only thing that ever held meaning. Though Niall had grown up a class higher than her, he somehow found it in his wants to get to know her and become friends. For years, Rowan had lived knowing that Niall wasn’t supposed to be friends with her- he was from the upper class in the city, while she was a simple farm girl.

And yet she loved him anyways. Between the fire that took her family one afternoon spent with Niall, and the unwavering kindness and affection he had shown her, Rowan had fallen in love with him. She confirmed this when he threw his arm around her, squeezing her tight and giving her a grin as they sat under the tree.

But they were two different people, from two different worlds. His parents would never accept her, for they never had. Niall was above her, and everyone but him seemed to see that. She just wished that it weren’t that way, that somehow it could all change.

Sighing loudly, Niall said, “I sometimes wonder what it would be like to get out of Oz.” Rowan wasn’t surprised. Niall was a wild child, always wanting to do something crazy, and it wasn’t the first time she had heard him say this. “What it would be like somewhere else, like where Dorothy came from, you know?”

“No,” she laughed, shaking her head. “This is the only life I know. The only life I want to know. Plus, I think Liam might be a little ticked off if our rebel group lost such and important member."

Niall gave her a look that made Rowan grin. She was always teasing him, knowing full well that he never did well being told what to do. He had a habit of forgetting rules and plans and going out on a limb. “Yes, Liam would miss me messing up his plans terribly.”

“Oh come on.” Rowan elbowed his side playfully. “You never mess them up too bad. Liam needs a bit of lightening up anyways. He’s always Mr. Serious and quite bossy.”

“Wouldn’t be talking about me, would you?”

Rowan and Niall both started, looking up into the brightness of the sun to see Liam walking towards them. He smiled slightly, but she could see the seriousness underlying beneath it. So he had seen the smoke too, and he was going to call a meeting. He always sought them out in this part of the country, because it was the exact middle of where Niall and Rowan lived. The tree marked the spot.

“Of course not,” Niall said enthusiastically, way too obvious to hide that they had been talking about Liam. The other boy raised a single eyebrow as Niall stood, offering a hand to help Rowan up. She took it thankfully, tossing the core of her finished apple. “We would never to that, right Row?”

She nodded and gave him a cheesy grin. “Right, Ni.”

Liam glanced between the two of him, not believing them in the slightest. It was his no-nonsense attitude that reminded Rowan that she was thankful he was running their group, and not her. She was far too immature and impatient to deal with others. She’d rather carry out whatever needed to be done. “You two really are something, aren’t you?”

Though Liam had not meant the comment for them as a couple, Rowan’s heard thudded hard once in her chest at the thought. “I assume you’ve seen the dragon’s latest creation?”

He gave a curt nod, craning his neck to see the smoke that was now turning a dull gray. It seemed whatever had been set in a flame of hatred earlier that day was finally starting to die out. “Yes. It was farther than usual, today. Which is very alarming.”

“Alarming?” Niall looked doubtful, echoing Rowan’s very thoughts. “Isn’t that a good thing? Maybe it’s leaving.”

“Or maybe it’s spreading.”

“Well I mean, fire does spread.” Niall grinned at Rowan’s joke. Liam did not. “Okay, sorry. Continue, boss man.”

“Right. I’ll leave a meeting place where the yellow brick road splits. Check at sundown, and be there an hour after the sun as set.” He turned to leave and paused, looking at Niall with exasperation. “And I’ll try not to put it near the river. The river fairies are still particularly angry with you after the last meeting.”

Niall held up his hand in defeat. “Where else was I supposed to go to the bathroom? You all were everywhere else. Geeze, fairies take everything so personal.”

Liam and Rowan both rolled their eyes. Liam said his farewells and continued on down the road, making his way to the city. The best friends continued to stand together under the tree, their thoughts kept to themselves. It seemed like Liam was still very determined to figure out just what was going on. And when he set his mind to something, there was no turning back.

“We’re in for a difficult journey, aren’t we?” Rowan whispered, watching as Liam’s figure disappeared around a turn in the road. The trees on either side of them were very quiet, and suddenly she wanted to be in the comfort of Niall’s arms, but she didn’t move.

“Yes, but you’ve got me on your side. And that’s all you need.”

That, was a fact.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi guys! I'm Noelle and I'm writing for Rowan and Niall!
Hope you liked it! You guys should be stoked for this story!
The lovely Courtney is up next!!