Status: Ruby red slippers.

Oz

Marianne Tomlinson

When Marianne woke up to the sound of Liam’s voice, the sun was just beginning to peer through the curtains, hitting her right in the eyes. She leaned up in her bed and rubbed her eyes while she looked at him.

“Liam?” she said, a soft yawn escaping her lips. “What is it? Is something wrong?”

Liam shook his head quickly, one hand holding onto the edge of the door while the other held onto the doorframe. “Everything’s fine. Just thought I’d wake everyone up so we could get an early start on searching. I wanted to get out of here before dark.”

Marianne nodded her head, and with that, Liam walked out of the room and shut the door behind him, leaving Marianne to wake up her brother on her own.

“Louis,” Marianne said, shaking his sleeping body. “It’s time to wake up.”

“Cecily?” He said, his eyes still closed and his voice heavier than spring rain.

“No,” Marianne chuckled, shaking him again. “It’s your sister. Now, wake up.”

Louis groaned before finally sitting up, rubbing his hands over both of his eyes. He and Marianne then walked out of the bedroom and into the hallway, where everyone else was already waiting. Marianne didn’t know what time it was but it seemed like she and Louis were a lot more tired than the rest of them.

“We should split up again,” Liam said as he folded his arms over his chest. “We’ll make better time that way.”

The group nodded before splitting up into pairs of two, with Louis quickly racing to Cecily’s side, though she didn’t seem pleased. Marianne was the only one left without a partner, aside from Liam who seemed content to stand at the front of the room and go it alone.

She let out a soft sigh before turning in the opposite direction of the other groups and up the staircase that led to the east wing of the castle.

“Marianne, wait,” Liam called to her, causing her to turn back in his direction. He took a few quick steps forward until he stood next to her. “You shouldn’t go alone. We’ll check out the east wing together.”

Marianne simply nodded before making her way up the large staircase with Liam following closely behind her. The first room they went into was a large bedroom, which Marianne assumed was the master just based on the sheer size of it. She and Liam set in opposite directions and tore the room apart as they looked for anything that could possibly be Zayn’s source of power.

Hunched over, Marianne dug through the drawer of the end table that sat beside the bed, almost certain that if someone were hiding something in their bedroom, they’d keep it there for easy access, but she found nothing.

With a small sigh, she turned around, her body shoving straight into Liam’s and sending them both off balance. He reached out for her elbows to steady her while he blinked his eyes quickly.

“I’m so sorry,” she breathed out, shaking her head in embarrassment.

Liam shook his head. “No, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you.”

When he realized he still had his hands on her, he pulled them away quickly, running his hand over the back of his neck while his cheeks grew red. After a short pause, he spoke again. “We should check another room.”

“Guys!” They heard the faint sound of shouting in the distance. “I think I found something!”

Liam and Marianne looked at each other with wide eyes, a small smile creeping to Marianne’s lips. Liam reached down for her hand almost immediately, using it to guide her out of the room and down the hallway. They didn’t know where to go from there, but Harry shouting again pointed them in the right direction.

The two of them followed the sound of Harry’s voice until they were heading down a long hallway towards the kitchen. The room appeared to be ordinary, except they couldn’t see Harry, even though Liam was certain that was where his voice was coming from.

Marianne and Liam’s eyes were scanned the room when the walls beside them parted, revealing a secret doorway, which Harry and Ilithyia were walking out of, large smiles on their faces. The rest of the group ran through the kitchen doorway almost immediately, running straight into Liam and Marianne.

When they laid eyes on the wand that Harry was holding in the air, they all smiled and Rowan let out a small gasp.

“Well done, Harry!”

“Yes,” an evil cackle came from behind them, causing their blood to run cold. They all turned around and found a tall brunette standing behind them, which everyone but Marianne and Louis recognized as Evangeline. She stood with a wicked grin on her face, her arms folded across her chest. “Well done, Harry.”