Status: Ruby red slippers.

Oz

Evangeline North

Evangeline eyed the wand in Harry’s hand with a dark scowl. She had made a mistake in stealing Zayn’s wand as she left their castle and she knew that now because it was in the hands of his perceived enemy. She had just been so angry at him that she hadn’t been thinking clearly. She had brought his and Glinda’s wand back to the good witch’s castle in an attempt to keep her good at bay but also subdue her love’s power. He was getting out of control and it seemed logical but now it was obvious that it had all been a terrible, terrible mistake. She had heard the little brats come inside as she came back to fetch the wands and she was fighting every urge to use her magic to destroy them then and there.

It was obvious that they were afraid of her. They knew who she was and what she was capable of and she had her own wand in hand, ready to be used if they made a move against her. “Well? What’s your next move, Harry?” She asked, seeing none of them making a move. She took a step further into the room, twirling her wand.

“Stay away from us.” Her eyes snapped to the buff man to the left and she grinned. She knew of him and Zayn would be particularly happy to see him locked up in his dungeon.

“Or what?” She raised her wand and it slowly started to glow a deep purple matching the cuff on her wrist. “I am not afraid of you, but you … you should fear me. And some of you wisely do.” She turned to look at some of the others to take in their different facial expressions.

Picking up her amethyst skirts she moved closer towards a girl she didn’t recognize. She immediately cowered back from her, trembling in fear. That was the reaction she was used to … the reaction that had sickened her when she had possessed Glinda’s wand. She knew in that moment that that had been the cause of her fight with Zayn and she had regretted ever letting the good witch distract her from the only person she had ever truly cared about. She needed to go home to Zayn and apologize and she hoped he would forgive her, though she wondered if that was possible when he discovered she had stolen his wand before fleeing the Emerald City.

“What is your name, girl?” She asked, her icy tone sending her into an exaggerated state of shivering.

“M-M-Marianne …”

So this was the girl of the prophecy? It would be so easy for her to reach out and snap her tiny neck. And she might have, had it not been for Zayn’s wand being in the hand of one of her friends who would easily slam it to the ground and smash it, greatly decreasing his power. She would have to be more cunning about getting it back, or perhaps let them return to the Emerald City and let Zayn retrieve it himself. He would do it much more effectively and he would be able to lock them away and do whatever he wants with them in that case. Letting them go might just be her best option.

Not being able to resist using magic, she raised her wand at the girl but instead of flaring up as a sign of imminent use, the deep purple turned lighter and lighter until it became white. Confused, Evangeline tried harder to focus her energy on the wand but even her cuff was turning white. The harder she tried, the more her powers seemed to dissipate. Her skirts slowly started to go white from the bottom up until her entire gown which was once a beautiful purple was completely snow white. She staggered back from the girl, feeling the good emanating off of her and clutched her chest. The castle – it had to be the castle and Glinda’s magic protecting the girl and her friends.

It gave them the perfect opportunity to escape her and she let them go. Moments after they had gone, she found her way out of the castle, too, collapsing onto the ground and choking on the fresh air as her clothes, gems, and wand all returned to their natural colors. She sat for several moments in front of the castle, waiting until she felt like her power had completely returned to her body until she stood and walked some distance away into the woods. Shooting a glance all around her, she shook off whatever that good spell had done to her and cast her own spell that transported her back to the castle she had shared with Zayn in the Emerald City.

The place was not as she had left it. It had been elegant, with everything in its place, just a few short days ago. She could tell that the rest of the castle would be in the same disarray as the front hall and it was unsettling. Tables were overturned, a light layer of dust clung to the curtains which were closed despite the bright sun shining outside. Vases were shattered on the floor, the glass crinkling under her boots as she walked to the stairs in the semi-darkness. She moved slowly as though something might attack her at any moment until she reached the master bedroom where she could sense Zayn would be. Sure enough, a small clank could be heard from inside before she pushed the door open.

She had never seen him like this. He was still in bed, his usually perfectly coifed hair a mess and the beginnings of a beard adorned his chin. His sleep clothes were askew and he had a large bottle of some type of alcohol in one hand. There was broken glass in this room, too, and a tray of fresh food that appeared untouched. He was as big a mess as the room he had closed himself off in and her heart lurched. She had caused this. She had broken him. She thought leaving might be the best thing to do, but her brain couldn’t stop her mouth from softly saying his name and catching his attention.

“Evangeline?” His voice was not angry and it shocked her so much she couldn’t move further into the room. Instead of anger, it was laced with astonishment and surprise. “You’ve returned to me?” She watched him silently as he scrambled out of bed and came to stand in front of her, immediately falling to his knees and grabbing both of her hands. “I thought you had left for good … I was …”

A weak Zayn was something that just didn’t sit right with her and it became her duty to assure him she would never leave him ever again. She fell to her knees and grabbed both sides of his face, rubbing his scruff and giving him a gentle smile. “I am so sorry I ever left you. Nothing will tear us apart, you know that.”

“You have never been so angry with me. I know I had crossed a line with the prisoners.”

“Let’s not discuss that. Zayn, there is something I need to tell you. When I left, I was so angry that I stole your wand. I am so sorry … I hope you can forgive me.”

It took a moment for Zayn to process what she was saying. He didn’t have to ask to know that when she took it that something had happened otherwise she would have returned it to him immediately. He had been so distraught over losing her that he hadn’t even noticed it was gone. She remained to be more important to him so he did not grow angry with her. Instead, he brought her into a kiss despite his state and brushed her cheek softly. “There is nothing to forgive. You’ve come back and that is more than I could ask for. They will come and we will face them … together.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't proofread! Sorry!

Thanks for reading!
xoxo, Erin