Status: Ruby red slippers.

Oz

Cecily Eppet

Cecily just sat in a lump in the prison cell, feeling like the walls were going to suffocate her. She didn’t have so much as a grass root to comfort her as she looked at the stones in the floor, tears stinging her eyes. They had all been split up into different cells, and as she looked across the hall to see Harry and Ilithyia in theirs, she couldn’t help but sigh. Harry was pacing, his frustration rolling off his tense body and Ilithyia tried desperately to calm his down. Cecily stood, walking over to the bars and looking across to see Niall holding Rowan, who was doing her best to stay strong.

She knew Liam and Marianne were in the cell beside hers, Liam no doubt in a similar position to Harry, seeing that she could hear him occasionally smacking the wall and cursing. She sighed, collapsing against the bars and closing her eyes. She hated this place, this dark dungeon void of all life, it was even worse than the Emerald city. And the thought of being trapped down here while Oz burned made her feel hopeless.

She didn’t even realize she’d started crying until she heard the tears hit the cobblestones at her feet. She stepped back, going to wipe her eyes, but a familiar thumb beat her to it. She opened her eyes to see Louis, his eyes betraying how crushed he was as he reached out and gripped her. Despite everything she blushed, letting her hands slowly move over his back, copying his movements, until she hugged him back. He rubbed her back soothingly, closing his eyes.

“I failed you.” She murmured. He pulled back, looking into her eyes as he cradled her face in his hands. He let his hands slide her tears away before pressing his forehead to hers.

“It’s alright Cecily.”

“No it’s not.” She said sternly. “You and Marianne were entrusted to us and we failed you Louis.” He sighed, pulling her away from the door to the beds, where he sat her down before plopping down beside her. She just sat there, her dark eyes staying fixed in the wall as tears rolled down her face. “We’ve failed all of Oz.” She murmured.

Louis had no idea what to say to her, so he simply set his arm around her, surprised when she crumpled into him, gripping his shirt as she buried her head in his chest. He went with his instincts however, holding her and running a hand through her hair. “We’ll think of something.” He murmured. “We’ll find a way out.” He nuzzled his face into her hair, letting his eyes slip closed at the comforting scent.

“They were so scared Louis.” She whispered. He didn’t have to ask, knowing she was talking about the trees. “They were whispering about us, that we were the ones that were destined to save Oz, but then they spoke among themselves, wondering what would happen if we failed and…” She sniffled. “I could feel their pain Louis, they know death is coming for all of us.”

“Not if we can help it.” Cecily sat up at Liam’s voice, coming through the wall between them. Her and Louis stood, Cecily taking his hand in hers as they walked to the door and peeked through the doors.

“Liam, what are you talking about? It’s over.” Rowan choked out. “We failed.”

“It’s all my fault.” Harry whispered. Ilithyia rubbed his back soothingly, offering a reassuring smile.

“Listen to me.” Liam said, poking his head through the bars to look at all of them. “The group of Oz citizens that I gathered would never take this lying down. We have to fight for Oz, because we all know no one else will.” His eyes then moved to Rowan and Niall’s cell. Rowan, you are one of the strongest women I’ve ever met, and Niall, I’ve never seen you give up, even when every single wall imaginable was thrown at you. His eyes moved over to Ilithyia and Harry. “Ilithyia, you have a power about you that I don’t even think you fully comprehend, you can shine even in the darkest of times. And Harry, you got us back inside the city walls, and had we not been betrayed your plan would have been perfect, you have an insight no one else does.” He then looked over at Cecily, pressing his lips together. “And Cec, you are either the bravest or the stupidest person I’ve ever met.” He chuckled. “You singlehandedly got us out of the dark forest just with your courage.”

Cecily teared up, feeling Louis rub her back as she smiled. Liam looked over all of them again, leadership radiating from him like starlight. “Now I knew we can get out of here if we put our heads together. So please, don’t give up on this, don’t give up on Marianne and Louis. But please,” He paused, taking a deep breath. “Don’t give up on me.” There was a long silence before Liam stuck his hand out of the bars. “Now who’s with me?”

Marianne moved first, setting her hand over Liam’s. Niall and Rowan reached out from their bars, Niall’s fingertips barely grazing Liam’s. Then Ilithyia and Harry added their hands in as all eyes turned to Cecily and Louis. She turned to the handsome boy beside her, knowing that she had to get him out of here and home. She reached out, resting her fingers on the top of Marianne’s and Louis’s hand quickly covered hers.

“Alright, now, how do we get out of here?” Harry asked. Liam sighed, licking his lips before turning to Marianne.

“Marianne might be small enough to get through the bars and get the keys.” He said, his voice giving away the loving look Cecily could picture he was giving Marianne. Cecily imagined she must have nodded, because the next thing she knew Marianne was hanging halfway out of the door. She had a hard time getting her hips past, but finally, with one last grunt, she popped through. As she raced towards the door where the keys were, Louis reached out, setting his hands on her shoulders and causing her to turn. He pressed his lips together, just looking at her.

“Cecily, in case we don’t make it out of this prison-”

“Don’t say that Louis.” She whispered. He pressed a finger to her lips, his bright blue eyes making her heart flutter.

“If we don’t make it out, there’s one thing I have to do before I die.” He looked at her nervously, letting one of his hands move to cradle her face before he leaned down like at the Inn. Cecily’s heart was pounding her eyes wide, but she didn’t move. And when Louis pressed his soft lips to hers, causing her to practically melt into his arms, she knew she had made the right choice. She let her hands slide up his chest, locking around his neck before a loud cough broke them apart.

They looked over to see a smirking Liam, the keys around his finger with everyone behind him as the door sat wide open. Cecily and Louis both turned bright red, Marianne giggling at her brother’s face. Louis quickly cleared his throat, him and Cecily stepping away from each other. “Well.” He said, rubbing the back of his neck. “What are you all standing around for? Let’s get moving.”

“What are we going to do about the guards?” Rowan asked. “They took our weapons.”

“There aren’t any here.” Niall said. “The ones who escorted us said something about how stupid it was that Evangeline and Zayn were moving all the guards to the castle.”

“Well then.” Liam said, smiling as he looked over them all. “It looks like we’ve got a fight on our hands.”