Sequel: Collide, Ignite

Lost in London

Chapter 2

"So then Niall had to carry you, from the taxi into the house, like you'd just gotten married. He nearly dropped you onto the couch and we were sure you were going to wake up. But you didn't. And then he didn't want to take your boots off because he thought it would disturb you, so I did that," Louis explained. "And by the way, the heels on those bloody things are dangerous. Nearly poked my eye out with one of them. The fact that you could stand on them when you were so hammered is really something. Quite impressive," he added.

It had been over an hour since Reilly had woken up. The other boys, who had been introduced to her as Liam and Zayn, had joined them in the living room and they were doing what they could to fill her in on what they knew of the previous night.

"Okay, but between the time you found me outside the bar and the time I passed out in the cab, I didn't do anything stupid? I didn't flash you guys or try to kiss anyone?" she asked.

"You threw up on my shoes," Niall said. "But I think that's about it." He looked around at the other boys and they nodded in agreement.

"No," she said, dragging out the word. "Niall, I'm so sorry. Let me pay you for them," she insisted, looking around for her purse. It was nowhere she could see in the room, though.

"You don't have to do that, Darlin'," he said.

"But I want to. I'm sure they're ruined now. I always ruin everything. That's probably what started all this. I probably screwed something else up when I was talking to Fallon yesterday," she ranted. Her head dropped to her chest. "I'm the worst," she mumbled through her hands that covered her face.

The boys all looked around at each other, unsure of what had just happened or how to respond. After a few moments of shooting looks back and forth, Niall finally reached out and placed his hand on Reilly's shoulder.

"Reilly," he said, but she didn't move her hands, or give any indication that she was going to look at him. "Reilly, come on. You've ruined nothin'. They were old shoes. I was going to replace them anyway. Please, don't be upset," he said.

It was a full minute before she lifted her head. When she did, there was no trace of emotion on her face. The boys around her were all visibly bewildered, but none said anything.

"I'm sorry. You must think you picked up a crazy person last night," she said. Before anyone could say anything, she stood. "I should go."

"Wait, Reilly," Niall said as he also stood. "You don't have to go. You're welcome to stay as long as you want. You must still feel terrible after last night."

"To be honest, I just want to go home and shower and put on clothes that don't smell like a bar. And I have a lot of school work. I really appreciate everything you guys did for me last night and this morning. I just wish that it hadn't been necessary. I'm sorry to have put you out," she said, looking around. "Um, my shoes and my purse are where?" she asked.

Liam and Louis rose without a word and walked down the hallway to the room they had put her things in the night before. While Liam grabbed her shoes and coat, Louis began looking through the purse. After a moment, he fished out her phone and began to scroll through it.

"What are you doing there, mate?" Liam asked when he began to tap on phone's screen.

Louis looked up from what he was doing. "It's pretty clear that girl has no one. I'm just adding some phone numbers to her contacts in case she needs someone to talk to," he said and went back to what he was doing. When he finished, he dropped the phone back into the purse.

"At least let us take you home," Niall was saying as they walked in.

"That's okay," she replied, "I'll just call a cab."

"Don't be ridiculous. What kind of lads would we be if we didn't see that you got home safely? Come on, Love, I'll drive you," Louis said. Reilly opened her mouth to protest, but he didn't give her the chance. "I insist. I have some errands to do anyway," he explained.

Her reluctance to accept the offer, or any help at all, was obvious, but she gave in. Liam handed her boots to her and she awkwardly started to put them on while standing. She almost fell over when putting on the second of the two, but stayed upright thanks to Niall's surprisingly quick reflexes. Her heart beat sped up as he held onto her until both boots were on and she stood straight again. With three and a half inches now added, she was much closer in height to the boys.

Liam handed over her coat and she slipped into it before taking her purse from Louis. She thanked the boys once again for their kindness and then followed Louis toward the front door. Neither realized Niall was behind them until Reilly went to pull the door closed behind her and punched him in the stomach instead.

"Oof," he grunted. "That's how you repay me for my hospitality?" he joked.

"I'm so sorry!" she apologized, covering her mouth her hands. "I had no idea you were there. I'm really, really sorry. I didn't mean to do that."

Niall gently took hold of her wrists and pulled them away from her face. "I was just teasing you, Darlin'. I'm okay," he said.

"Are you coming with us, Niall?" Louis asked.

"Yeah. We're supposed to go do that thing later, remember?" he said vaguely.

Louis rolled his eyes. "Right," he said, drawing out the word and continued to his car.

He walked around the passenger side and opened the door for Reilly. She smiled and thanked him as she slid into the car.. He closed the door and shot a look at Niall as he walked back to the driver's side and got in.

"You said you go to UCL, right?" Louis asked and she nodded. "Do you live on campus?" he asked.

"No, but I live near campus," she said. "I have no idea where we are right now, but if you know how to get to the general vicinity of the school, I can get you to my apartment."

They drove in silence. Reilly watched out the window as the scenery passed by, waiting for something to look familiar. She had been in London for nearly three months, but despite having met a number of people at school, friendships hadn't really developed, and therefore she hadn't gone out much. But as she began to notice the beauty of the city around her, she made a mental note to do some exploring.

She snuck a glance over at Louis as he drove. Something about him was familiar, as she had noticed with Niall, and the rest of the boys. But she couldn't place where she might know them from. It was possible they went to her school and she had seen them in passing, but when she said she was attending UCL, not a single one mentioned that they also went there.

"So," she said, breaking the silence, "Do all five of you live together?" she asked.

Louis let out a soft chuckle before answering. "We actually all live by ourselves, but all right next to each other. You woke up this morning at Niall's," he said.

"How old are you guys?" she asked curiously. They seemed young to all be on their own without roommates.

"Niall turned 19 last month," Louis said, "And I'll be 21 in December."

"Okay, so, you're neighbors. Is that how you know each other?"

"Not exactly," Niall said from the back seat.

Louis glanced over at her long enough to catch the confusion on her face. "Another story for another time, Love. It's too long for this trip. We're coming up on UCL. Are things looking familiar yet?" he asked.

She wasn't ready to let the subject drop. She had spent so much of the morning telling them little bits about herself, but hadn't found out anything about them, except their names, and that they were in the right place at the right time. Or so it had seemed. She realized she didn't have much of a choice, though.

"Yeah, make a left at the corner," she said.

She directed Louis for the next few minutes until finally she pointed ahead and told him to pull over. Once the car was stopped, she reached into her purse and pulled out some money. She then turned around and held it out to Niall.

"For your shoes," she said, waiting for him to take it.

"Reilly, I really don't want your money," he said.

"Please just take it," she pleaded. "I feel awful, and this isn't going to make me feel better, but it will help."

With a sigh, Niall reluctantly reached out and took the money from her. Louis shot a look of disbelief at the younger boy, who responded with a look a helplessness. Taking her money was the last thing he wanted to do, but she wasn't giving him a choice.

"Thank you," she said, as she turned back around. "For everything. The ride home, taking care of me even though you don't know me, giving me a place to crash last night. And I'm so sorry I put you guys out."

"Nonsense," Louis replied. "We're happy to help."

She nodded even though she didn't believe him. "Well, I guess this is it," she said.

"It doesn't have to be, Love. We're here if you need anything," he told her.

"It was really nice meeting you guys. Thanks again," she said and reached for the door handle.

Niall pushed open the back door. "I'll walk to you to the door," he said.

She wanted to tell him not to, but every time she had tried previously the effort was fruitless. Instead of arguing, she said nothing and walked toward the door of her apartment. Niall fell in step next to her. With the way their arms swung, his hand brushed against hers. Her fingers tingled at his touch.

She stopped and turned to him when they reached the front door. "Thank you," she said again. "I know you guys didn't have to do what you did last night, and I really appreciate that you did."

"Like Louis said, we're happy to help you out," he said, watching her fish around inside her purse for her keys. "Listen," he said, "Can I have your phone number?" he asked.

She looked up at him, confused. "What for?" she asked.

"Well, I was thinking maybe I could ring you later to make sure you're okay," he explained.

"I'll be fine," she told him, still groping around the inside of her purse for her keys.

"And I believe you. I just want to make sure," he said.

With dark green eyes she stared at him for a few moments before giving in. Along with her keys, she pulled a pen from her purse. She took hold of his hand and scribbled some numbers on his palm. He looked at it when he finished.

"This is real?" he asked.

In spite of herself, she laughed as she nodded at him. He smiled in return and then reached over her shoulder and leaned in for a hug. The action took her by surprise and it took a moment for her to reciprocate.

They said goodbye when they parted. Niall walked back to Louis' car, glancing back over his shoulder once on the way. She was unlocking the door, and turned around once herself before pushing it open.

"I can't believe you took her money!" Louis yelled the second Niall shut the car door.

"Calm down. I dropped it into the hood of her jacket when I hugged her," he said, staring out the window, still watching Reilly. When she closed the door, he turned to his friend. The stars were in his eyes. "I'm goin' to marry that girl, Louis."