Call to Action

Introduction.

Austen Barton

”Yea, I’m fine mom, just get back to your mission.” I say, rolling my eyes; trying to get my mom, the infamous Mockingbird, off the phone. “I’m safe and sound in California.”

“If you need anything, you know your dad and I’ll be there for you; no matter what.” She says, sounding worried which is something I guess I should be use to. In my 24 years of life, I got kidnapped twice! And this is all because of who my parents are; Mockingbird and Hawkeye.

“I’m fine.” I assure her once more as I unlock my apartment door, “I’ve got to go call Dad,” I tell her, softly closing the door behind me. “He called me in a panic today and I blew him off.”

“Alright, call me when you get off the phone with him and tell me how he is.” She says before hanging up.

A sigh escapes my lips as I toss my bag on my couch and I begin to dial my father’s Stark Industry issued cell phone; a powerful cell phone that works everywhere, or so Stark says. As the phone rings, I turn on the TV; instantly putting on the news. My eyes widen and my heart stops when I notice Stark Towers in New York is up in flames. I immediately turn up the volume; my heart skipping a beat a few times.

”I’m Jessica Rae, reporting in New York at the site of Stark Towers; home to the infamous Tony Stark as well as his fellow Avengers.” The reporter says before turning towards the scene behind her, “It’s being said that the fire was started from a homemade bomb that went off in the garage portion of the building; as of 7 PM, there has been no word on whether or not the Earth’s Mightiest Heroes were inside the building…”

I feel my hands get clammy and my mouth becomes dry. Without thinking, I try and call Natasha; knowing she wasn’t there at the time. She was back in Russia for some mission. When there was no answer on her phone, I called up Steve. One by one, I go through all the names of the Avengers; getting no answer from any of them. Just as I’m about to call my mom up in a panic, my phone rings. Not my personal cell phone but the SHIELD issued phone I kept on charge by my computer.

I drop my iPhone and mindlessly walk over to the phone, answer it as I take it off of charge, “Hello Director.”

“I assume you’ve heard about Stark Towers, am I right Miss Barton?” Nick Fury asks in a monotone voice; he was all business and no emotion.

“I’m watching the news now.” I reply as my eyes go back to the news coverage on CNN. “I’m assuming my father wasn’t on a mission, was he? He’s gone like the rest of them, isn’t he?”

“That’s why I’m calling Austen, we need you.”

“I’m not an agent, my parents made sure I didn’t follow in their footsteps, Director.” I explain to him, “The only thing I’m good for is archery and computers; that’s it.”

“And I know about your secret training sessions with Agent Romanoff; you’re a capable agent, Barton, and we need you to help us find them.”

“And do you expect me to do this by myself?” I question him, “I know my parents are amazing agents and are capable of working by themselves but I can’t. Especially with how big this mission is. This is not your typical search and rescue mission.”

“We know and we’re calling someone in.” He informs me, “Someone like you; someone who is equally effected by this.”

“Like who?” I scoff as I run my fingers through my blonde hair, “No one else has kids; I’m the only Avenger kid.”

“That you know off.” He informs me, “We know of another one and he’s very much like his father.”

“He’s a Stark, isn’t he?” I ask, dreading the answer.

“You’ll just have to wait and see Agent Barton.” He replies, causing me to roll my eyes, “There will be a quinjet to pick you up in three hours; you’ll be staying on the Helicarrier until further notice.” With that he hangs up. A sigh escapes my lips as I put down the phone and walk into my room. Opening my closet, I pull out two duffel bags and start filling it with clothing; enough for three weeks. I have no idea how long I’m going to be on there but I might as prepare for anything; even if I’m not fully prepared to throw myself into my father’s world…


Jase Frost

"C'mon…the fuck, Butterfingers?" there's a warning hidden in my tone; a meaningless threat latched onto my words as a promise for the robot. Butterfingers has long since become my companion in the lab, working with me and whatever endeavors I decide to delegate. At the moment, we're alone in the basement of Stark Industries, enjoying the peace that comes with the privacy. The lab is buried four floors under the actual building and spans nearly half a block. Not only does it have all the toys, but also allows me to play to my heart's content.

And it's there, among the stark white walls and the glass barriers, that I learn about the blood that runs through my veins.

The normal madness that comes with being in the lab has become an unusual calm. I should have gone back to my apartment hours ago, but instead I'm tinkering on a project that my stepmother is pushing at the board. There's almost a crazy desperation to her act and part of me wonders if it's because Tony and I came up with it together. From the offbeat comments during story time, my grandfather was not a family man by any means. I know that my father, that Tony, wants to be different.

"If you drop one more thing, Butterfingers, I swear to god that I'm going to send you upstairs and let the interns play with you." The 'bot rolls closer, bumping into my arm and makes a whining sound. Despite the tinkering, we're both bored. It's the reason why I never left in the first place. Tony left for the Tower earlier in the day, playing with some of the other Avengers. And despite my allowance at the Tower, I tend to stay away when the others are around. Tony doesn't care, he wants them to meet me. I, however, am content to keep being his best kept secret.

There's a rag dropped on my knee and I fling it at the helper 'bot. "Butterfi—"

The ground starts to shake, light at first and slowly increases. It's not enough to be threatening, but reminds me of the time that Dr. Banner rampaged through in a temper tantrum. "What the fuck?"

The explosion is clear in my ears, as if I'm right there with it. Pushing Butterfingers back, ignoring his overcrowding and clicking, I bolt. There isn't an elevator; it's a private stair that goes down to the lab, so it takes me a breathless moment to get up. The halls are nearly empty, a few stragglers attempting to save their work as their paranoia sets in. Although it's been some time, the company is no stranger to being the center of an attack. It's left the workers with a hefty dose of suspicion for any movement out of the norm -- what would be considered normal for others.

One or two shoot me a curious look, but the majority ignores me in favor of their work. I bypass them in favor of the nearest elevator, the one that will take me to any or every floor: "Mister Frost, the Tower has been attacked."

JARVIS' voice is crisp as the doors slide close and moves.

"What?" I snap, pulling out my phone and sending a rushed text message to Tony.

"What you just felt was a chain reaction from one of the Tower's lower level garages up to R&D. The fire department is on route and should arrive within the next few minutes—" the glass walls of the elevator becomes a screen, showing the Tower enflamed. Police were starting to scatter, car doors left open and lights flashing. The fire department was hot on their heels, flooding the area as more officers arrived to contain the growing crowd. "Whatever caused the fire and minor explosions reached Doctor Banner's lab—"

"—Causing the explosion we felt."

"Correct," the outside image changes, panning on the blurred images from inside the labs, "my feed inside the Tower has been tampered with. I'm attempting to gain full access once more."

"How serious is it?"

"S.H.I.E.L.D. is en route—"

"Why?" There is no love lost between S.H.I.E.L.D. and I. While they aren't aware, of who I am, really, they do know my mother and they know some of my unfavorable illegal activities. There's enough in their files to make me wary; one of the main reasons why I won't meet anyone past Banner and Rhodey. "A fire doesn't require any of them, JARVIS. Maybe Coulson, because he's a nosy fucking suit…"

"I requested their presence," JARVIS breaks in carefully, at least he sounds careful. "Sir was in the building at the time of the explosion. My feed went offline for only a few minutes and when I came back online, he was gone. I cannot locate him within the Tower and all the suits are accounted for."

"How did you lose him?" But I don't wait for an answer; the elevator doors have opened and I run forward. I push past people, not caring what happens to those that get in my way. The street is even worse: I come out to chaos. The Tower's blaze is a beacon before me, the entirely surrounding a mass of smoke and blur. But, ahead, I can see the familiar Rolls Royce. Happy is here, he'll know. If Tony made it out and couldn't tell JARVIS, Happy will know.

I approach him carefully, mindful of the cameras and the shouting newscasters. The last thing I want, especially with this sudden development is be questioned by a nosy busy body. Twenty-six years old and I look a few shades darker than the same Tony Stark that was the media's prince so long ago. I look like my grandfather, Howard, and, traditionally, like all the Stark men. It's the only downside to keeping my identity a secret: it's rather obvious that my father is Tony Stark. It's like looking in a mirror.

"Happy—" close enough, I realize he isn't alone. At his side, in all his grand glory is Nick Fury. The mass of black that surrounds the law enforcement are his people; embarrassment hits me for not realizing that sooner. Stupid.

"Mister Frost," Fury eyes me as if I were a thorn in his side, "or should I refer to you as Mister Stark?"

"Frost," I reply, hard tone and annoyance brimming. I may be good at covering my tracks, always ten steps ahead on the chessboard, but I know that Fury is the spy of spies. He's the real James Bond and I knew, eventually, he would figure out that I wasn't just some super-smart intern. "What do you want, Fury?"

"Your help," his arms are pulled behind his back and he sounds, almost, pained. "I'm sure you've been in contact with JARVIS, so you're aware that your father is missing." He's missing, which means that only more bad news can follow. I scowl, and regardless of what I want to say: I don't. I know Fury is waiting for me to open my mouth so he can…whatever it is that Fury does. Our silence goes on until Happy excuses himself to meet Pepper, who is storming through the officers and agents alike. "Barton, Banner, and Rogers are missing as well."

"That doesn't explain why you need my help."

He glares and it's more threatening with the eyepatch; now I know what Tony is always talking about. "Because of your recent development, your father has reigned in his security. It'll take too long to breech it, and frankly, why waste our time when we have the next best thing?"

His grin is predatory, but I'm not stranger to those who want something, "so you want me to do your job?"

"I want you to go with one of our agents to help find them."

"Same thing," I sneer and he inclines his head, look matching mine; he knows.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&&subscribe

Jase - rewritten, 12/13/15