Call to Action

Interlude: All The Words Left Unspoken

“I have to make this quick,” the forming smile freezes as his rushed hello comes over the speaker, “we have a problem you’d want to know about.”

“Go ahead, Barton.” I snap my fingers at the two women sitting on the couch, grabbing their attention and pointing to the door. It takes them barely a minute to get to their feet, hands filled with weapons and papers, and leave.

“They’re here, and she’s asking about him.”

It’s on the tip of my tongue to tell him to lie, but brains beat it out. He’ll never forgive me if I push orders against family. “Can you be vague? Drag it out telling her anything big until I can figure something out?”

“I’m not going to lie to my niece,” he snaps, voice lowering even more.

“I’m not asking you too.” I snap back, “I don’t know what more you want me to say. I’ll make a more in-depth profile and stick it on database. If you want a history, I’ll give you one, but it won’t do much if she wants profile or hard facts.”

“No, it’s trust issues.”

“The best laid stories aren't going to help with that."

“I know,” I can picture him rubbing his jaw. The next words come at a normal tone, “I’m going to access the database, I need some information. I’m going to check FBI, Interpol, a few other places."

“We’ve just updated it with what we know.”

“Anything I should know?”

“We’re cold at the moment, but he’s been spotted a few times. Wade is tailing him,” I drop down in front of my desk and watch as a notification pops up, telling me that Barney’s just accessed the database. “I’ll have everything forward to you, assuming you’re Austen’s connection.”

“For now, but I don’t know how long it will last.”

“We’re staying out of it,” I warn, “so try not to dig yourself too deep. I can’t have too many of my people caught up in this unless it really calls for it.”

“Who?”

“Just Deadpool, Lady M and her sister, but we have a few guys on call.”

“And me.”

“And you.” I push myself away from the desk and kick my legs up, “call me later, when you’re alone?”

“Thank you, Maggie.” His voice is warm and I know he'll call the moment he's alone.

I grip my cell phone tightly as we disconnect and send a kick at the computer: I miss and hit a cup of cold coffee instead. Whatever. I can’t exactly pull him away from the assignment I put him on just because I miss him. And I know he’ll never forgive me if I break the cover he works so hard to maintain.

I suppose my stupid brother could always use some help.