Call to Action

Kissing Death and Losing My Breath

Jason and Regan start talking while I slip onto the quinjet. I need to get changed out of this dress and into something more comfortable. I walk over to where my bag is and I can catch a glimpse of blood on the metal flooring. Francis’s beaten, bloodied face flashes in my mind causing anger to boil up inside. A few calming breaths later, I take off my jacket, boots then dress. It’s actually really nice to get out of that thing.

Just as I manage to pull up my jeans, I hear heavy footsteps behind me. I don’t have to turn around to see who it is.

“You ever heard of knocking?” I ask, slipping my Black Sabbath t shirt over my torso; covering my scars before I get the inevitable stare.

“I didn’t expect you to be half naked.” He counters, as I turn around to look at him. “You wanted to talk before. Care for me to explain what’s going on?”

“What I want to know is, is who the hell you are.” I tell him, crossing my arms over my chest.

“You’re really that much of a blonde?” He scoffs, “You know exactly who I am.”

“Do I?” I question him. “The only thing I know about you is that you’re Tony Stark’s son. And honestly, you couldn’t even lie about that if you tried. But that’s the only thing I know about you.

“When Francis asked you who you were, you told him to ask Cade and he’ll tell him. What does Cade know that you’re not willing to share with me? A girl that Fury paired you with to get the Avengers back?”

“Like you said, we’re not going to see each other after this, so why get wrapped up in some small details?” He questions.

“These aren’t just small details,” I point out, “Jason, these are huge details. Details that will either allow me to trust you or tell me to run far, far away.”

His eyes darkened for a moment, "how the fuck am I supposed to know that you won't go running to Fury? I don't need that one-eyed bastard in my business. He may own your family, but he doesn't own mine."

"I wouldn't do something like that! It's to put my trust in you, I need to know you won't stab me in the back. Look at what you did to my brother," I feel cold, "I want to know that you won't do that to me. I don't know who you are, the Stark name means nothing to you, as you keep reminding me and it doesn't mean a thing to me."

"Fine," but he does look thoughtful, "don't call me Jason, we can start with that."

"Excuse me?" Is he out of his fucking mind?

"My name is Jase, not Jason." He shoves his hands into his pockets, "funny thing about assumptions, they're generally wrong."

"I was told..."

"What they think they know."

"I don't see how that's a big secret," I know my tone sounds aloof, but his devil may care attitude is finally starting to get on my nerves.

Although silent, he waves his hand around as if attempting to explain something. I wait. "I'm an enforcer for a very powerful Maggia," he pauses, "a mafia family." It isn't the whole truth, we both know it and it just pisses me off even more, but before I can go off on him he stops me; stepping closer and pressing his hand against my shoulder, "Cade knows the connection, he was turned down a place in the family and now I'm his best way in."

"Stop lying to me!" I flip his hand off my shoulder and cross my arms, "I'm not a little girl that needs to be coddled."

“I am telling you the truth!” He yells, “it’s not my fault that you can’t fucking see that.”

“Do you really think I’m going to believe you when you say you work for the fucking mob?” I scoff, “sure that explains a lot of things, mainly knowing Deadpool, but seriously? You’re nothing but a art majoring frat boy with a very bad temper. You’d only be useful to the mob as forger, not a fucking enforcer. So seriously tell the goddamn truth for once.”

A smile dances on his lips; a twisted little smile, “that’s a lot coming from you.”

“What are you fucking talking about?” I question him, “I haven’t lied to you about anything.”

“Really?” He questions, “so you were never a SHIELD agent? Never did any work for them ever? I thought you hated the idea of working for Fury, that’s why you decided to go to school.”

“So I see you read my file, huh?” I roll my eyes, “I did a few missions before I got kidnapped. They were simple missions that didn’t have me really fighting. After Cade, I only one more. Mainly it was keeping an eye on someone; nothing major and no fighting.”

“Is that the one in Starling City?” A smirk appears on his lips as my heart stops.

“What happened in Starling City is none of your business or concern.” I hiss, “I quit SHIELD after that. They ruined everything I had. After that I went back to school and never wanted to deal with them again. And I haven’t, til Fury called me up for this goddamn mission.

“Don’t bring up Starling City again. That’s my past, a past I don’t want to fucking talk about. You really shouldn’t turn this around on me. I’m not the one that had some bitch torture your brother for fucking information. I’m not the one that never gives a straight answer. That’s all you.”

“Like you're any better?"

“You read my profile, so you know everything there is to know about me.” I point out, “I still know nothing about you.”

“Like Uncle Barney didn’t look me up for you,” he scoffs, “or maybe your friends at the Rising Tide. So don’t act betrayed that I read your file. You know you have information on me.”

“I may have it, but I didn’t read it.” I point out, “I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt that you’ll give me something to work with. So I didn’t read the file my uncle gave me. I'm not like you.”

“You’re right, we’re nothing alike,” he states, “I’m here to work, you’re only here to lure Cade out and to keep me in line.”

“Excuse me?” I snap, “I’m pretty sure Fury didn’t call me onto this to only be bait and a nanny.”

“You’re nothing but a pretty face,” he says, getting in my face, a smirk dancing on his lips. “That’s all you’ll be. That’s why Cade wants you so bad, a nice trophy on his arm. He knew out of all the girls in the world, you’d be the easiest to break but the most satisfying.

“Your training with Natasha means nothing. You’re not a fighter, you’re not a soldier willing to do whatever it takes. You’re nothing but a pathetic, helpless bit---” before he could even finish his sentence I raise my hand, delivering a hard slap across his face. He looks at me, an amused smirk replaces the twisted one.

The smug look on his face does nothing to calm my temper. Before I know it, my hand raises again. But before I deliver another blow to his face, Jase’s hand wraps around my wrist. He backs me up to the wall of the quinjet. He leans in close, close enough that his lips brush up against mine for a brief second before pulling away. Our eyes lock and before I could register what’s going on, his lips crash onto mine, catching me completely off guard...
♠ ♠ ♠
want to learn more about Austen's brother Francis? Read his story, Goin' to Hell. It's connected to this story, which is the only reason why I'm linking it.