Call to Action

Wake Me Up

Austen

After a grueling three hour flight, I step onto the bridge of the Helicarrier. Other agents take my bags as I walk over to the ominous black clad man in front of me, “Things must be bad if the Director of SHIELD is calling in a bunch of inexperienced kids in.”

“You grew up watching your parents go out on the front line, surely you must have learned something?” He points out with questioning eyes, “You’ve also worked a few cases behind their backs; you’re fully capable of this.”

“Finding my dad isn’t like spying on a few rogue agents, you don’t understand the magnitude of this.” I explain, “The lives of Captain America, Hawkeye, Hulk and Iron Man are in the hands of two kids; their kids. I’m not sure how the other guy feels, but there is a lot of pressure riding on this.”

“You’re going to be fine.” Fury says, in a reassuring tone. Dad always said Fury had a soft spot for me. I find it hard to believe that someone like Nick Fury, king of spies, has a soft spot. Then again, it does explain why I never got in trouble whenever I did cause trouble and mayhem.

“So this other child, you never gave me a straight answer.” I remind him, “I’m only going to assume it is a Stark child until proven wrong.”

“Why is that?”

“Like Tony Stark knew how to keep it in his pants.” I chuckle, causing Fury to roll his eyes -well eye- in annoyance. “Just tell me if I’m right or not; it’ll be easier on all of us.”

“Get some sleep, Barton.” Fury says before taking me towards my sleeping quarters then leaving me alone all together.

**

”I’m not a kid anymore, Dad!” I yell at my father as I pack up two duffel bags, “You can’t keep me cooped up in this apartment all the time.”

“I’m not going to risk you getting kidnapped again!” He yells at me, “Austen, please just stay here while I go out on this mission. That’s all I’m asking.”

“You’re telling a 20 year old girl not to explore New York.” I remind him, “I’m in the middle of the shopping district, need I remind you.”

“For once in your life can you stop acting like me?” He asks, “Stop being so stubborn and just listen to me for once. Your mother already thinks I’m a horrible father.”

“She has a reason to think that, you know?” I point out to him. “You’ve never been around, at all. So don’t act like the overprotective father now. It’s too late, Clint.” I finish packing my bags and give my father once last look before walking out of his New York apartment…


It’s nearing 3 in the morning and sleep isn’t being so kind to me right at this moment. For hours, I’ve tossed and turned; dreaming about the last time I saw my father in person. It’s been four years, he never forgave himself for what happened to me that night.

After walking out of his apartment, I got kidnapped by a bunch of local thugs. They kept me locked in an abandoned warehouse, torturing me. It was nearly a week before anyone found me -bruised and beaten; edging on death. At that point, both my parents agreed it was safer in California for me. My father also pointed out that I wasn’t safe around him; mother never really allowed me to see him even when he did fly out to California; I never forgave her for that.

A couple more hours of tossing and turning, I hear the door open. I turn to my side and see Agent Maria Hill walking through the door with Agent 13 -Sharon Carter- right behind her. “What do I owe this visit?” I ask, tiredly.

“Fury wants you up and awake enough to meet the man you’re working with.” Agent Hill replies, “You’re going to be meeting in the Lab.”

“Goodie…” I mutter before burying my head into my pillow. This has been the moment I’ve been dreading…
♠ ♠ ♠
comment&subscribe?