Call to Action

Just Give the Lunatic a Chance

Jase

Fury wants me on the Helicarrier immediately and I'm not giving in. His idea and carefully worded bullshit looks good on paper, but in my mind, there are endless reasons to why I should walk away. There isn't a single part of me that wants to agree to his terms or work for S.H.I.E.L.D. I never once agreed – never signed up – be part of anything more than a little acknowledgement between father and son. It matters not that my curiosity has long since been sated and now I stay …out of comfort? Convenience? Enjoyment? Fun? Love? I suppose, all of them are part of it, but none of them are reason enough to find myself diving into the world of heroes.

I am not a superhero: I am the product of one. Believe me when I say there is a difference and they can never come close to compare. But it’s the fact that Tony's missing that keeps me from turning my back on Fury. Tony's my father and we've become close over the past year. We're alike in so many ways and his welcoming hand never ceases to amaze me. I also know that he's been tinkering, once more, with the one thing that helps keep him alive. Without the suit, without some form of alignment the Extremis can't work properly. If only he would stop meddling with it.

"You will have a partner, and Agent 13 will provide whatever help need –" he talks as if I've already agreed, and makes me want to say 'no' all the more. But, there is Pepper with her pleading gaze: that, I promise you, is a surefire way to get a 'yes' out of anyone.

"Fine," I snap, "but, there are a few things I want to do my way."

"No." Fury replies almost instantaneously; I know it's an argument he has constantly with my father.

"Then find yourself another way to get a hold of any Stark Tech, because it's closed to you until I see my dad back in one piece." My tone is seething, yet mockingly proud. I know Fury can't do this without me and he knows I know it, "not a hair out of place."

His eye twitches and I know I'll have my way. "I'll send a Quinjet for you—"

"I'll find my own way to the Helicarrier in an hour." I reply quickly and turn away. I left all my belongings in the lab, so that will be my first stop, unless… I brush my hand over my jean pocket and there; the small bulge of the ear piece. Pulling it out, I slip it into my ear and move out of the way. The ear piece is a quick link between JARVIS and the wearer.

Popping it into my ear, I walk over to Pepper and she gives me a smile. Fake as it is, I guess that by now she's used to having to put on a front. My father is notorious for just vanishing after all. "What did Fury want?"

Straight to the point, it is just one of the many things that I love about her. "He needs my help to complete a rescue mission."

Her lips purse, "I don’t like the idea of you working with S.H.I.E.L.D., you have no experience with them and—"

I cut her off, "I'll be fine, Pepper." But, I know it's her job to worry. I kiss her cheek right before I start walking backward, toward the Tower. "I'll keep you updated!" She rolls her eyes as I wink and turn.

"Alright, J, let's get inside."

"The service entrance in the back is open, as well as clear of all damages."

♦ ♠ ♦


My arrival on the Helicarrier was well anticipated; agents are milling around in await for me, like well behaved robots. When I arrive, or at least make my arrival well known, they step back and stare; but Stark blood runs through my veins and I bask in it. I smirk in confidence, JARVIS' voice soft in my ear as he gives me directions from the upper deck to the lab and offside workshop my father uses when onboard.

I'm just off the deck when someone falls into step with me, "Agent May," I say cheerfully as she studies me carefully. She's one of the few agents that I've seen countless times around SI and the Tower alike, someone, I'm guessing who knew who I was instantly. She's Coulson's best and I doubt he would have her on his team if she couldn't spot the obvious.

"Stark," she looks pleased for a moment; May hands over the card in her hand, "Coulson had this made for you, not that you'll ever use it."

I take a glance, to be polite: my last names are hyped. "Touching."

"I thought you would think so." She stops in front of a door, "if you need anything, Stark."

We part ways and I continue to study the ID; I suppose I could find a use for it in the next few minutes. The lab is empty and dark, a sure sign that nobody steps in Bruce and my father's territory when they aren't around. I swipe my new ID through the scanner and follow it with a thumb print; the doors opened and I slipped a small chip under the security box as I walk in. I drop my backpack on the floor and slid a suitcase behind it. For a moment, my eyes are caught on the gleaming red and silver.

"Sir, I've brought up the formula for the stimulate needed to dormant the changes Mister Stark made to the extremis."

"Good," I mutter and tap my fingers against one of the benches, "make sure we're blacked out from the rest of the Helicarrier, JARVIS, I'm not in the mood for surprises tonight."

"Of course, sir."

While JARVIS breaks through any and every barrier and eye that S.H.I.E.L.D. inserted into the lab communications and computer, I start working on the formula. It's a simple reverse of the last virus that my father altered, but it's also making sure that I don't ruin the original virus. How I hate Bruce's handwriting and wish he would start using a computer like a normal person. At least it's easy work, just time consuming.

"How are we doing?" I say after a large gap of silence. Time has passed and when I glance at my cell phone, I discover more than I anticipated.

"Ahead of schedule," JARVIS sounds almost optimistic. "Should I go ahead and run a test on the reverse virus?"

"Yeah, I'll call Wade."

"I would wait on that, AD Hill is approaching with two agents."