Call to Action

Give Me the Wheel, So We Can Move A Little Faster

I stray outside Austen's door, attempting to figure out if I'm supposed to knock and say something kind or just ignore the rush of information she gave me. The decision, is thankfully, made for me. JARVIS hums in my ear, a soft notice that he has something to say. I step away from Austen's door and move down the hall, hand to my ear. "What's up, J?"

"While you were speaking with the Director, I compiled a folder on Cade. The only information I could find on him was a dormant profile in the Maggia's database. He was never hired." I pull out my phone, data racing across the screen. I flick it off to the side in favor of a picture of him. He's an ordinary looking guy; too greedy looking around the edges.

"He wouldn't have been hired, he's human and his only claim to fame is kidnapping the daughter of an Avenger." I pull up a less than informal rap shit, curtsey of the Maggia. The short hand is crude, but it's easy to see that Cade is nothing more than hired help. "Who is he working for?" I roll through more of his work: torture, making people disappear, his talents were easy to spot, but there wasn't a name printed over his.

"Should I inform Mr. Wilson of the new discovery?"

"Tell him not to run his mouth." I spin around and go straight back to Austen's room. "Do you know where Cade was last spotted?"

"Facial match ups show that he was last seen outside of Columbus," hazy pictures load on my phone's screen. Cade is recognizable, but the other two with him aren't.

I knock on her door, knowing that waiting is easier albeit boring; Austen doesn't seem like the type who would enjoy it if I let myself in.

It probably would have been the safer decision; the door is yanked open and Austen's scathing glare welcomes me. I lean against the doorway, foot in the way in case she should decide to close the door, "I found something important, I thought you'd like to know before I leave."

Her glare deepens, more prominent, but she's silent. "Fine—I'll call you back later."

"Boyfriend?"

"Natasha," she says with slight annoyance.

"Did she give you some tips on how to deal with a bastard child? Or is she coming to take my place?" I sneer, suddenly unable to let her poor attempt of a joke from earlier to fall. Not only does Austen have her parents, but also she has her father's girlfriend. My parents, they're as dysfunctional as the relationship my dad shares with Pepper.

She stiffens, "I thought you had something important to tell me?"

"I do," I knock on the door again, "gonna let me in or are we going to do this in the middle of the hall?"

♦ ♠ ♦


We end up walking silently, back, to the lab. I should have suggested it in the first place; knowing that the lab is easier to work with. As in, everything that happens is under my control – it's a thing. She doesn't come in far, but rather keeps close to the door and I right away go to the screen.

"Okay, so tell me what's going on?" The annoyance is back in her tone, strong as ever.

"JARVIS was able to find Cade's last known location." I tap the screen and a map comes up. "He made a few rounds and stops in Columbus then disappeared; right now we're trying to figure out if he's still there or if he went underground."

"How is that supposed to be helpful?"

I flatten my palm on the screen and stop myself my rolling my eyes, "because it gives us an area to start around. And JARVIS has rerouted all major satellites. If Cade steps in front of a camera, drives to fast, runs a red light, gets caught in someone's photo – we'll know in seconds." I leave off the part where someone is currently digging into all the stops that Cade made, "I'm going to Columbus, you're more than welcome to come along."

"We need to discuss with this Sharon," although she's moved deeper into the room. Austen's gaze reminds me of the one I've seen often enough on the profile's of SHIELD agents alike: deadly and ready to go.

"Or you could just come with me and you can give Sharon a call when something fun happens."

Austen turns, "the second something happens…."

I raise my hands in submission, "all on you."

"I – fine," she snaps and I grin.

"Let's rock and roll."

♦ ♠ ♦


Austen returns to her room to gather what she needs while I start prepping a distraction. While I'm alone in the lab, it's no secret that they're having me watched. Every step I take, there's someone tailing me on a camera or around the corner. First order of business is to get rid of them. Second order of business is to unlock the Quinjet I used to get to the Helicarrier.

"Are you ready?" I look up to see that Austen has returned and her glare, as ever, is directed in toward me.

"You know you're really turning me on right now," I deadpan, sliding the screen away from my face and moving to my feet.

"Are you kidding me, Stark?"

"Frost," I automatically correct, "and kind of. There's something about the way your nose scrunches up like I'm something foul."

She snorts, "Unbelievable. You are just like you're father."

"Really? He's hit on you?"

"No, but I've heard all about him."

I roll my shoulders, "because nobody ever lies."

"Sir, if I may interrupt, everything has been completed. It is time for you and Agent Barton to depart." JARVIS speaks before silence could truly settle between us. I pull my bag over my shoulder and grab the suitcase, the unfamiliar weight heavy in my hands. Precaution, that's all it is. And lugging it around may be the farthest thing I want to do, but the look of relief on Pepper's face when I finally agreed was worth it.

"Let's go," a timer pops on one of the screen and I snag my phone of the table. The same timer is ticking down on there as well. But behind, dulled by the bright numbers, is the server that shows every camera connected to the Helicarrier. Every camera that is about to go black in less than one minute.

"What did you do?" Austen questions as we leave, "you didn't…"

The timer disappears and someone yells at the end of the hall, "I cut the cameras," I point toward the nearest one, red light gone and blind to our walking. We move quickly, staying out of sight as everyone tries to figure out what happened. It won't take them long to figure out it was at my hands; Fury always knows.

On the deck, I nudge Austen toward the Quinjet under my hand. JARVIS had not only prepped and installed our location, but he also had it ready so all we had to do was board.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate how this feels more like a filler than anything :(