Red

I KNEW YOU WERE TROUBLE

Leanna stared at Pat’s cell phone in disbelief. A bitter laugh escaped from her, anger boiling out of her, “I knew you were trouble when you walked in, so shame on me, I guess.”

“Leanna, I-“ Patrick started but, she just held up her hand, shutting up.

“No. Once upon a time, a few mistakes ago, I was in your sights,” her voice cracked as she tried to keep herself as calm as possible. She wouldn’t let him get the best of her. “When I fell hard you took a step back without me. Fuck, Patrick you went back to her. You promised me things were over.”

“They were,” he muttered. His voice sounded sincere for a second but, then it happened. His eyes flicked up and instantly his puppy dog, forgive me baby, face appeared. Leanna shook her head and started to walk backwards, putting as much distance between them as possible, “but then she was in New York City and we had lunch and Allison and I-“

“Don’t. A new notch in your belt is all I’ll ever be, isn’t it?” She hissed at him. All the text messages she had read from Allison to him, from him to Allison, all the lying, he had been cheating and had no apologises for it. She looked up at him, “on my birthday?”

His silence was her answer as she lifted her arm and launched his cell phone at his head. “Get the fuck out Patrick. Leave and don’t ever try to contact me again. You’re the worst person I’ve ever met.”

“You’ve met plenty of worse-“

“GET THE FUCK OUT,” this time, the voice was a booming male one. Patrick turned around to see Jonathan standing at the open door, a grocery bag under one arm and Cayden under the other. Never had Leanna been so relieved to be walked in on. “Pat, leave now before I have to make you.”

“Picking the side your fucking girlfriend is on, aren’t you Tazer?” Patrick spit out before turning back to Leanna. “This wouldn’t have happened if you were such a controlling bitch all the time.”

She blinked back tears, she’d never let him see her cry. Instead, she channelled all her anger, “you fucking asshole, you never loved me, or her, or anyone or anything!” She threw herself forward, slamming her hands into his chest and pushing him away. In seconds, Cayden was across the room, arms wrapped around Leanna’s torso and dragging her away, “I fucking hate you. You’re a fucking egotistical prick with a tiny, useless dick! I fucking faked it every time!”

“Jesus, Leanna,” Cayden muttered before pulling her into Leanna’s bedroom. Leanna dropped to the ground, her face pressed against the cold, hard, wood floor. Cayden sat next to her, running her fingers up and down her back as they listened to the fight outside the door. A lot of screaming, a lot of banging and then silence.

A small sob escaped from Leanna as she turned and tucked herself into Cayden’s lap. Neither girl spoke, they didn’t need to. Cayden had heard everything and nothing could make Leanna feel better right then. Cayden just ran her fingers through Leanna’s hair and let her cry. She didn’t even move when Jonathan came in, blood streaming from his lip. Jonathan could hold his own, Leanna needed her.

“What a sad, beautiful, tragic love affair,” Leanna choked out. “He just pretends that he doesn’t know he’s the reason why I’m drowning. He’s been seeing Allison again for the last month and a half, Cayden.”

“What a piece of fucking shit,” Cayden muttered, causing Leanna to giggle. Her laugh gave her hope. If she could laugh through a horrible break up, she was going to be okay. No matter how much it hurt, no matter how many tears she may cry, she was going to get through this and be stronger.

And her and Patrick were never ever getting back together.