Sticky

Six

Hartley was painfully aware of the shadow looming in her bedroom’s doorway but was determined not to let the presence keep her from sleeping. Or at least pretending to sleep. Though she was anything but calm, the breath that escaped her was light and even. No one would’ve known she wasn’t sleeping. Except for him. Every muscle in her body wanted to tense at the sound of shuffling footsteps creeping along the carpet but her mind willed her not to move.

“Hartley.” Was the whispered voice. She flinched as a hand came down to rest against the bone of her hip. He chuckled softly in the darkness.

“I know you, Hartley. I can tell when you’re sleeping and when you’re awake.” He lifted the blanket and got into bed with her. For a while the two lay there quietly, the only sound being Hartley’s heartbeat which she was certain he could hear. Her flesh was crawling from the touch of his hand still lingering on her hip.

“Why do you keep doing this?” She croaked hoarsely, her voice reedy and slight from being silent for so long.

“Ah, so she can talk.” He scooted closer, moving his arm to wrap it around her waist. Hartley’s breath caught in her throat when he began to stroke her stomach. “You know why.” His words were hard to understand due to his face being nuzzled into her hair.

“It’s because I love you, and I never want you to belong to anyone else.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Almost there!