Status: Completed! Stay tuned for the sequel!

Knocked Up

Chapter Twelve

"Can you two stop messing around and get back to the work?", Isabella asked annoyed as she wiped the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand, before continuing to paint the wall she had been working on for the last half hour.

"Chill, jeez...", Brian made a face and rolled his eyes at Isabella after she had turned so her back was to him and Zacky again, before meeting Zacky's gaze as he giggled quietly.

Brian had volunteered to help paint the baby's room when Isabella had mentioned that she and her mom was going to paint it, and had dragged Zacky with him when the time had come. They hadn't been doing anything of matter anyways, they were on their summer break so they had just been chilling at someone's house all days for the past two and a half weeks.

"How's things going up here?", Cristie opened the closed door and peeked into the tiny room at her daughter and her friends.

"It's going just fine, when these two jerks actually do something other than paint on each other", Isabella muttered as she turned around to meet her mom's gaze.

"Be nice, Bella", Cristie scolded Isabella with raised eyebrows.

"Whatever", Isabella shook her head, putting her paint brush down carefully on one of the old newspapers she used to protect the hardwood floor from dripping paint, before groaning and holding her back as she came back up to her full height.

"You should be thankful Brian is here, and even more thankful that Zack is here with him, so we won't have to do all the work. I know I am", Cristie winked at Brian and Zacky. They smiled back at Cristie before turning back around to the wall they had been working on to paint again.

"Is lunch ready yet? I'm starving", Zacky asked as he yawned. Getting up at nine am when he didn't have school just wasn't his thing.

"Yeah, that's why I came up here!", Cristie laughed as she opened the door wider and stepped inside the room. Zacky and Brian walked and put their brushes down where Isabella had put hers down, as Isabella put the lid back on the paintbucket.

"Lunch is served, lady and gentlemen", Cristie smiled and gestured out the room with her hand when the teenagers started to walk out to the hallway. Cristie sighed as she heard her daughter and friends walk down the stairs, they hadn't put the brushes in water. She picked the three brushes up and walked down to the kitchen and took a cup out of a cupboard, filling it with water before putting the brushes in the water and putting the cup on the counter.

"Hope you two like burgers, I didn't know what else to make", Cristie chuckled a little taking the empty seat next to her daughter at the table.

"I love burgers", Zacky said with a mouth full of his first burger. Brian just nodded his agreement, pouring himself a glass of Coke from the bottle Cristie had taken out of the fridge.

"Good, because I practically don't know how to cook anything else", Cristie smirked before taking a bite of her burger.

Isabella sighed at her mom's choice of food. She had eaten far too many hamburgers in her short life, thanks to her parents' poor cooking skills.

"Do we really have to eat this again, mom?", Isabella glared at her mom as she put a burger in the bread she had picked.

"You're welcome to make something yourself", Cristie offered and waved her hand towards the stove behind them before taking another bite of her hamburger, knowing full well that Isabella wouldn't bother making herself some other food, because she was very lazy when it came to making her own food. Isabella just sighed again, annoyed before starting to eat.

"Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?", Zacky asked Isabella before taking a bite of his third burger after a few minutes when Isabella had sighed for what felt like the thousand time that day .

"No one, this heat is just unbearable", she answered and ended with a sigh, fanning herself with her hand in front of her face, done eating. She then fanned herself with the collar of her t-shirt, sighing again. Even wearing a thin t-shirt and short shorts didn't help her in the heat that always took over California in the summer.

"Why don't you just head down to the beach and take a swim in the ocean, then? Take a break from the painting", Cristie asked, standing up to gather Isabella's plate and her own before walking over to the sink and putting them down there.

"I've told you before, I am not showing my fat, ugly self half naked in front of people", Isabella's voice wavered as she thought about her body. She felt so unattractive, she felt bloated and disgusting with all the sweat on her body, and she had a few, ugly in her opinion, stretch marks on her sides.

Stupid hormones she thought to herself as she leaned her elbows on the table and pressed the palms of her hands to her eyes, trying to stop the tears in her eyes from falling.

"You're not ugly, sweetie", Cristie said softly as she walked back over to the table to stand behind Isabella and give her a hug, kissing her temple.

"Yes I am!", Isabella broke out in a loud sob, desperately trying to wipe her falling tears away. "I hate my body."

Brian flinched as Isabella's loud sob echoed through the room. He didn't know she felt that way about herself, and knowing it now, he felt horrible for making her feel that way, because he had been the one making her feel like this. Not intentionally, but he had been the one who got her pregnant.

"I'm seriously so unattractive right now it's ridiculous, and I know I don't have anyone to impress, but, I hate feeling like this. I just want to be skinny again. I'm so ugly", Isabella sniffled and wiped her tears, before laughing humorlessly and shaking her head. "I can't believe I'm crying over this in front of you guys."

"Are you kidding me? You're still one of the hottest chicks I've seen", Zacky exclaimed with wide eyes as he ate the last piece of his burger. Isabella sniffled and laughed, before meeting Zacky's gaze with teary eyes and smiling sadly.

"You don't have to make me feel better, Zack."

"I'm not just saying that, you really are! Right, Brian?"

Brian nodded, agreeing with Zacky, before smirking. "I didn't exactly sleep with you because you were ugly."

"Shut up", Isabella snapped at Brian with wide eyes and kicked one of his legs under the table, knowing that her mom wouldn't like his choice of words. She watched as Brian hissed and bent down to put his hand on his leg where she had kicked him, before looking down at her hands in her lap and mumbling. "Besides, I wasn't pregnant back then."

"Whatever, you're still hot. I'd sleep with you again in a heartbeat if you wanted to", Brian stated with raised eyebrows as he leaned back in his seat.

Cristie narrowed her eyes at Brian, glaring at him when he felt her eyes on him. While she thought Brian was a nice young boy, she didn't exactly like the fact that he had gotten her seventeen year old daughter pregnant. She had decided that she wasn't going to hold that grudge against Brian now that he had decided to help Isabella, because it wasn't just his fault, and because she didn't want to be that grumpy grandma that hated her granchild's father. It was too cliche for her liking.

But just because she had decided to be civil with Brian, didn't mean she wanted to hear him talk about sleeping with her daughter.

"I'm just gonna ignore that," Cristie started, letting go of Isabella and kissing her temple again before standing up and taking Brian and Zacky's plates, before taking the plates the burgers and the hamburger bread had been served on and continuing. "-and start with the laundry."

"Thanks for the food, mrs Sawyer, it was delicious", Zacky smiled, standing up from the table before announcing that he needed to take a piss before they got back to the painting again and leaving the room to go to the bathroom on the first floor of the house.

"So should we head back up then?", Isabella asked Brian softly after taking a deep shaky breath, the result of her crying before. Brian nodded as he watched Isabella's mom walk into the tiny laundry room adjacent to the kitchen after having put their dishes in the dishwasher. Isabella stood up and took the cup and the brushes with her as she walked up the stairs and then into the baby's future room after turning left in the hallway, with Brian following closely behind.

"I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry for making you feel that way", Brian spoke softly as he took one of the brushes before drying it with a piece of paper he had in one of the pockets of his dark, paint stained sweatpants, before dipping it into the light purple paint after Isabella had pulled the lid off of the paintbucket.

"What do you mean?", Isabella asked just as softly, putting the lid down on the paper covered floor beside the paintbucket. She turned around to face him, and Brian gave her his brush before taking his paint stained t-shirt off and pulling the legs of his sweatpants up over his knees, feeling too hot for his liking. Brian looked up at Isabella as he took his brush again, before giving her a soft and crooked smile.

"I was the one who knocked you up and made you look like this, and I feel horrible about it now that I know you feel so bad about yourself."

Isabella smiled up at Brian before shaking her head. "It's not just your fault, it's mine too. It takes two to tango, you know."

"I know, but if I just had pulled out or something-"

"Brian-"

"-then we wouldn't have been in this mess we are now", Brian looked sadly up at Isabella from under his eyelashes.

"I know...", Isabella sighed softly meeting Brian's gaze. "But what's done is done, and we can't change that."

"I wish we could", Brian mumbled as he started painting the wall Isabella had worked on before they went down to eat.

"Besides," Isabella started with a small smirk as she bent down to pick her brush up before wiping at it with a piece of paper Brian had given her, having decided that she was going to try and lighten the mood, before bending back down to dip the brush into the paint. "-we probably would have gotten kids when we were older anyways, we're just starting a little early."

When Brian looked at her with a raised eyebrow, she realized how her sentence had sounded.

"Oh, no, I didn't mean that we were gonna have kids together", Isabella motioned between the two of them and blushed as Brian smirked at her before going back to his painting.

"Yeah, I believe you."

"I didn't mean it that way! I promise!", Isabella whined as she saw Brian laugh a little and shake his head, looking up at the wall where he painted the space Isabella hadn't reached before.

"Uh huh."

"I didn't!", Isabella started to feel frustrated tears burning behind her eyes because Brian didn't seem to believe her.

"Hey, relax, I know what you meant", Brian laughed again before putting his hand on Isabella's shoulder, smiling. Isabella stared up into Brian's eyes, seeing that he really meant what he said, and she let out a sigh before breathing in sharply.

"What?!", Brian asked worridly at Isabella's gasp.

"Nothing, she just kicked really hard", Isabella let out a shaky breath as she laughed, shaking her head.

"Can I feel?", Brian asked shyly, nodding his head down towards Isabella's bump.

"Sure", Isabella grinned and nodded her head, taking Brian's hand and putting it on her bump where she had felt the baby kick.

"Wow, she kicked!", Brian looked up at Isabella with wide eyes after a few moments when he felt the baby move. "She kicked!"

"I know, I felt it too", Isabella chuckled at Brian's shocked face.

"What did you feel?", Zacky asked as he walked into the room and over to where Isabella and Brian were standing.

"Brian felt the baby kick for the first time ever", Isabella said, still grinning as she watched Zacky bend down to take the last brush in the cup on the floor.

"Sweet!", Zacky grinned with raised eyebrows as he clapped Brian's shoulder. "So you finally were brave enough to feel your baby kick, huh?"

"Shut up", Brian slapped Zacky's arm softly, smirking. "Back to the work now then?"

"Sure, you got any paper I can use for the brush?", Zacky asked Brian who bent down to get some new paint on his brush. Brian gave him a piece of paper from his pants pocket, before going back to painting. When Zacky bent down to dip his brush in the paint, Brian brought his brush down on Zacky's cheek, getting it purple, and laughed loudly as Zacky came back up, scowling at Brian.

"You fucker!", Zacky shouted before laughing as he painted Brian's chest with his dripping brush.

Isabella laughed and shook her head at them before dipping her brush in the paint and starting to paint the wall again, suddenly not feeling as pissed off and moody as she had before.