Status: Completed! Stay tuned for the sequel!

Knocked Up

Chapter Eight

"Can't you just go inside and tell them while I sit here on the porch, ready to run for my life?", Brian asked Jimmy hurridly with wide eyes as they walked up the front lawn in front of Brian's dad's house.

"Relax, your dad's not gonna kill you like you think. He's just gonna be a little disappointed in you. Suzy's gonna be thrilled, I bet", Jimmy laughed a little as he walked up the few steps to the porch. "Come on! Your mom's reaction wasn't that bad..."

"'Wasn't that bad'?! She slapped me! That's not 'that bad'!", Brian exclaimed incredulously looking up at Jimmy on the porch, still standing down on the grass.

"Yeah, but then she said she was sorry and hugged you, telling you that the baby wasn't allowed to call her 'grandma'", Jimmy said in a 'duh' tone, before interrupting Brian when he started to say something. "And you know she was joking with that, she said herself that she was excited, she just thought it was a little early to become a grandma. But she's okay with it now, despite the bad start of your conversation. Now come on!"

"Fine", Brian muttered rubbing his cheek as he walked up the stairs. "But my cheek still stings, dad's gonna have to slap my other one when I've told him."

Jimmy shook his head at Brian, laughing a little as he opened the front door and walked into the Haner's household. He walked into the kitchen where Suzy was feeding McKenna and greeted her before he bent down to kiss her on the cheek, and then he walked to the fridge and opened it to take a coke. Brian soon appeared in the room too, greeting Suzy with a mumbled 'hey' before taking a seat on the opposite side of her at the table, so he could take McKenna's hand after she had reached for him when he walked into the room.

"Where have you been? You said you would be home at four", Suzy started as she looked at Brian from across the table, before looking at the watch on the wall behind her and continuing. "It's five ten."

"Yeah I know, but I kinda had to stop by at mom's place", Brian said as he sat leaned forward on the table with McKenna's hand wrapped around his index finger.

"Did something happen?", Suzy asked worriedly.

"No, no, I just needed to talk to her, that's all", Brian sat up straight so McKenna didn't have a grip on him anymore, shrugging his shoulders a little.

Jimmy sat down beside Brian and put his bottle of coke on the table before turning a little to put his elbow over the back of his chair, silently meeting Brian's eyes as he looked at him. Jimmy nodded his head towards Suzy still holding Brian's gaze, and mouthed 'tell her', to which Brian sighed, turning his head to look at McKenna who was giggling at her mom.

Shaking his head, Brian scratched the back of his neck before looking at Suzy who was done feeding McKenna.

"Where's dad?"

"He's in the studio. Or at least he was, it's awfully quiet now", Suzy answered as she stood up and walked over to the sink to rinse out McKenna's plate.

"I kinda need to talk to him, and you too for that matter", Brian said as he watched Suzy put the plate in the dishwasher.

"About what?", Suzy turned around after grabbing a towel to wipe her hands, looking at Brian.

"Uh... I uh-", Brian stammered as he looked down at his hands on the table, starting to get hand sweat.

"He has to tell you guys the same thing he told his mom", Jimmy piped up, thinking that Brian would need a little extra help to tell his father and step-mother.

"What did you tell your mother?", Brian Sr asked as he walked into the kitchen, kissing McKenna on top of her head.

"Um, I... I, uh", Brian tried to tell them that he had gotten a girl pregnant, a girl they knew at that, but he couldn't, it was harder than it was when he told his mom.

"I think you guys should sit down for this", Jimmy smiled up at Brian Sr and Suzy as they stood beside each other at the sink, Suzy looking at Jimmy, and Brian Sr staring at Brian with slightly narrowed eyes, wondering what his son possibly could have done now.

"What have you done now?" Brian Sr asked as he took a seat in front of Brian.

Brian just glared at his father, not liking his tone. Just because he had done some stupid shit before, didn't mean they had to expect another stupid thing he'd done, even though getting a girl pregnant was pretty stupid in his case.

"Are you warm, Bri? You look sweaty", Suzy asked Brian concerned as she sat down next to her husband with McKenna on her lap.

"What?", Brian looked up from his hands again. "Oh yeah, but I'm just having a panic attack, that's all", Brian continued as he shrugged his shoulders before fanning himself with the collar of his t-shirt.

"Why?", Suzy asked worriedly with wide eyes.

"I...", Brian started again, but shook his head when the words wouldn't come out. He looked at Jimmy, silently asking him if he could tell them instead. Jimmy, who knew exactly what Brian was doing, just shook his head smiling reassuringly as he nodded his head towards Brian's dad. Brian glared at Jimmy with wide eyes as he turned his head even more away from his dad and Suzy so that they wouldn't be able to see him mouthing a desperate 'please' to Jimmy. Jimmy shook his head no again, and once again nodded his head at Brian Sr, who now sat with his arms crossed over his chest with even more narrowed eyes, watching his son and his friend silently conversing.

"Okay, can someone just please tell us what has happened? You're making me nervous", Suzy asked before chuckling a little, not really sure what to do as she watched Brian and Jimmy.

Brian sighed defeated, knowing that Jimmy would most certainly not tell his parents, and turned his head back so he was looking up at his dad.

"I... Where's Brent?", Brian wondered. He could not have Brent here while he told their dad that he had knocked Isabella Sawyer up. He would tease him to no end for his little mistake.

"He went home with a friend, he's gonna sleep there too", Suzy smiled, rocking side to side softly with McKenna as she played with a doll Suzy had given her before she had sat down. "Now can you please tell us what's happened? Should we be worried?"

"Did you do something with the car?", Brian Sr asked with narrowed eyes as he leaned forward to put his crossed arms on the table.

"No", Brian glared at his father. "I did not do something with the car."

"It's not exactly free to fix the car, but you should know that", Brian Sr said as he stared at Brian, talking about the time when Brian accidentally had reversed into a car in the parking lot at the mall when he hadn't payed attention and he had to pay for not only his dad's car's damages, but the other car owner's car too.

"I know, dad, but the car's fine, relax", Brian sighed. Couldn't he just let it go?

"Brian, if you want me here when you tell them, then you gotta tell them now, because I have to go soon. I'm gonna meet Alicia at the park at six", Jimmy smiled shyly as Suzy smiled brightly at him.

"Alicia Evans?"

"Yeah", Jimmy smiled goofily.

"She's a nice girl, very pretty", Suzy smiled warmly before looking down at McKenna who dropped the doll she'd been holding on the floor.

"Just don't forget to wrap it up, dude. Don't want-", Brian started jokingly before being interrupted by Suzy after she had bent down to pick the doll up.

"Brian! Don't talk like that in front of your sister, please!", Suzy exclaimed with wide eyes.

"Well I don't want to make the same mistake as you did", Jimmy said as he placed his hands on the table. "But don't worry, I'm not as disgusting as you are with the girls anyways."

"Jimmy!", Brian whipped his head to look at Jimmy with wide eyes. Jimmy had practically told his dad and step-mom that he had forgot to use protection with a girl, and judging by his dad's face, he had not missed Jimmy's first comment.

"Jimmy, what did you mean by 'I don't want to make the same mistake as you did'?"

"Tell 'em, Brian", Jimmy motioned towards Suzy and Brian Sr with his hand. Brian sighed as he hung his head low. There was no turning back now.

"So I kind of have some news for you... You're gonna be grandparents", Brian mumbled the last part, not wanting them to hear it as he looked away from everyone.

"What did you say? I didn't hear the last part", Suzy asked turning her ear towards Brian expectantly. Brian sighed shaking his head a little. Couldn't she just have heard it so I wouldn't have to say it again? Brian thought to himself as he looked up at Suzy.

"I said, you're gonna be grandparents", Brian mumbled again, louder this time. He looked at Jimmy as he felt one of his hands clap his shoulder in support.

"We're what?", Brian Sr looked Brian in the eyes.

"I got a girl pregnant, dad", Brian mumbled as he looked down at his clasped hands on the table, playing with his thumbs a little. When no one said anything for several minutes, Brian looked up again to see his dad leaned back in his chair with closed eyes and Jimmy hanging a little over the table playing with McKenna, before meeting Suzy's skeptical gaze. All that could be heard was their breathing, McKenna's giggling, and the watch ticking away on the wall. Brian sighed looking away from everyone again, this silence was killing him.

"Are you serious?!", Brian Sr exclaimed loudly after several more minutes of silence. Brian jumped and fell off his chair and McKenna started crying at their father's loud question. Brian looked at Jimmy as he tried to hold his laughter in, before standing up quickly again to meet his father's hard stare.

"I fucked up, okay?! I didn't mean to!", Brian held his hands up in the air as he explained himself.

"Who's the girl?", Brian Sr asked softly looking up at Brian.

"What?"

"Who's the girl you got pregnant?"

"Oh", Brian mentally slapped himself for not understanding that simple question. "Isabella Sawyer?", Brian answered more like a question than a statement, not sure how his dad would react to that, because he knew Isabella's parents were close friends with him.

"George and Cristie's daughter?", Brian Sr asked crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yeah."

"So you're telling me, that when I met Cristie and Bella this afternoon in the mall, shopping maternity and baby clothes, they were actually shopping for your daughter?", Suzy started as she comforted McKenna so she would stop crying, before continuing when McKenna quieted down. "And that I actually felt your daughter kick for the first time? So that's why Bella wanted me to feel her bump, you are the father!"

"You did what?!", Brian asked with wide eyes as he looked down at Suzy.

"I apparently felt your daughter kick for her first time ever, that's what I did! Why didn't you tell us sooner?"

"Because I didn't want to be apart of the baby's life at first, but after Jimmy talked some sense into me before, making me realize that I can't just ignore them like I'd wanted to, I'm not gonna do that anymore. I'm gonna be there, I think", Brian sat down on his chair again slowly.

"You bet your ass you're gonna be there! You can't just let Isabella take all the responsibility for this. You're gonna be there, and you're gonna support them with your own money", Brian Sr said seriously. He did not raise his son to be a coward that runs away from the mistakes he could make right.

"But school, dad! I don't want to give that up just because I knocked someone up and now have to support them twenty-four-seven!", Brian explained, once again with his hands in the air above the table.

"You were already going to try to get a job to pay for school, so you're just gonna have to use those money for the baby too now. Your mom and I were already going to help you pay for the school the first year, but I can talk to her and see if we can help you for more than the first year, IF you promise to support the baby and Bella with the money you make at your job."

"I promise, but I doubt I'll get a job. No one has called back yet", Brian pouted as he looked down at the table.

"That means you're gonna have to try even harder to find a job, apply for the jobs you didn't want to apply for in the beginning", Brian Sr told Brian as he leaned forward to put his hand on his son's forearm.

"You're gonna get a job, I know it. You're a great kid, despite the few poor mistakes you've made, but that's life. Everyone makes mistakes, and you're no exception. You're only human, like everyone else", Brian Sr smiled, rubbing Brian's arm softly.

"Yeah, yeah. I guess you're right", Brian mumbled.

"We're gonna help you, as much as we can", Brian Sr smiled again as he leaned back in his chair, putting his arm on the back of Suzy's chair.

"Really?", Brian looked up surprised. He did not think they would react this well on his news.

"Of course, and we're gonna visit Bella and Cristie with you, too. We want to be a part of all this too", Suzy smiled as she looked at her husband who nodded.

"See? I told you they weren't going to react badly and hit you, like you thought they would", Jimmy grinned at Brian as he stood up from his chair.

"You thought we would hit you?", Suzy asked in disbelief.

"No, not you, but dad. He's always telling me to be careful...", Brian shrugged his shoulder as he looked away, not daring to meet his dad's gaze.

"I'd never hit you, son, you know that", Brian Sr said seriously before smirking as he met his son's gaze again. "But I probably would have hit you if you didn't promise to be there for Bella and the baby."

"I was ready to run for my life", Brian laughed a little, shaking his head at how stupid he'd been. His dad would never hit anyone.

"I have to go now, but I'll see you tomorrow at band practice, Brian", Jimmy smiled before saying good bye to Brian Sr and Suzy.

"I'll walk you out", Brian said as he stood up before starting to walk out of the kitchen with Jimmy.

"We're not done talking about this, though, Brian!", they heard Brian Sr call from the kitchen when Jimmy opened the front door so they could step out on the front porch.

"Thank you so much for helping me today, I wouldn't have been able to do it without you", Brian chuckled a little as he thanked Jimmy for his support.

"No need to thank me, I know you would have done the same if I was the one who was stupid enough to get a girl pregnant", Jimmy smirked at Brian.

"Fuck off", Brian smirked as he looked down at his shoes.

"So I'll see you tomorrow then?", Jimmy asked as he walked down the few steps of the porch.

"Yeah", Brian nodded with a smile on his face as he looked down at Jimmy. "See ya then."

"Okie dokie, bye bye!", Jimmy grinned as he waved before walking to his truck.

"Hey, Jimmy!", Brian called as he stood with crossed arms leaning against one of the pillars at the stairs of the porch. Jimmy turned around as he was about to open the driver side's door.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks, again", Brian smiled appreciatively.

"No worries, man", Jimmy smiled back at him before climbing into his car. He started the car and put his seatbelt on before putting the car into reverse. Jimmy waved madly at Brian and grinned as he drove past him away from the Haner's house, being extremely proud of Brian for telling his parents. All Brian needed was someone by his side for support, and Jimmy would never in a million years let anyone of his friends down when they needed him the most. He loved his friends to death, and he would never ignore them, ever.