Status: 10/14/2020 - Currently being revised and a sequel is in the future! Chapters 1-3 are almost completely revised. c:

It's Not All What It Seems...

Fifty Shades of Fear

Should I tell him or am I over-reacting?

I paced to the elevator in a daze. I pushed every sound out of my head so all I could hear where the questions racing through my mind. The corridor narrowed, as did my vision. I slid my hands against the walls as I walked; making sure it was me making the corridors longer and not some freak construction work. What was I thinking? I tried to shake off the absurd thoughts that kept flooding my mind. I felt like I was on some sort of high. I was high on the adrenaline of terror.

What did Gerard mean?

The endless journey to elevator has finally ended. Raising my arm to even push the button was such a mundane task; it felt like I was hauling a bag of weights. I clenched my fists and shut my eyes tightly while what Gerard said was still pestering my mind. I opened my eyes as a chill was sent down my spine. It kept replaying in my head.. I couldn’t get over how malicious and determined he sounded. I shook it off and moved the grates. I stepped into the elevator and turned to close the gates. I leaned against the back of the elevator as tears slid down my cheeks.

What should I do?

When the elevator reached the third floor, I opened the grate and walked out. I looked around at doctors and patients walking by me; everything was in slow motion. I blinked about three or four times and this feeling still wouldn’t go away. What the fuck was going on? I rubbed my eyes and looked around; everything was normal pace again. I looked down at my shaky, sweaty palms and wiped them on my skirt. I moved swiftly to my office, trying not to attract attention to me. I opened my door, quickly entered and shut the door. I walked over to my desk and collapsed in my chair as I sighed. This was tearing me apart. He was tearing me part.

I have to tell him. I just..Have to...

Coming down from my so-called ‘high’ minutes later, I finally gathered the courage to tell Bert. I stood up from my desk and headed for the door. I sensed a knot forming in my stomach, but I had to tell him. I exited my office to hear a familiar, friendly voice.

“Hey!” Frank said as he ran up and smiled.
“Hey, Frankie.” I said as I half-smiled. I just couldn’t pull a full smile on my face; I just didn’t physically have it in me.
“You okay, Doc?” Frank asked as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “I saw ya before and said ‘hello’ but you just stood in the middle of the hallway, starin’ at something.”
“Oh, uh… I just have a lot on my mind.”
“Talk with me. “ Frank added as he smiled his boyish smile and took me downstairs to the courtyard.
“It’s just.. a patient-“
“Me?” Frank blurted as he stopped in his tracks and looked at me.
“No. Not you.” I said as I laughed. “I can’t really tell you because of patient confidentiality…”
Frank sat with me on a bench and looked down despondently. Seconds later, he lifted his head up. “Is it Gerard?”
I looked at him then hung my head in shame.
“I know him.. Well knew him.”
“Really?” I questioned as I looked up.
“Yeah. I remember when he was arrested for killing his dad.”
“You think he’s guilty?”
“I was at the party he was at that night; he drank and did like a line of coke. He left kinda early… I mean.. I guess.” Frank uttered as he shrugged. “He got violent when he was angry. His dad made him angry.”
“Was he really high or drunk when he left?”
“Nah. He had a beer or two and did a line.”
My eyes widened. What Gerard told me was a lie? “Was he acting weird?”
Frank laughed and scratched his head. “Well.. He was normally the drunk in the corner. He was pacing the whole time; I didn’t know what he was waiting for. To be honest… I do think he murdered his father. He never liked him and they would get into pretty bad arguments. The arguments got so bad that the police practically lived at their doorstep.” Frank added as he chuckled then sighed. “All joking aside… Who knows what he’s capable of?”

I gulped and stood up. I needed to get to Bert before it’s too late. I turned away from where Frank was sitting and hastily went inside. I overheard Frank calling out to me, but I just couldn’t talk to him right now. I walked to the left wing of the hospital, which needed to be renovated and unbolted the timeworn, creaky door. I entered the wing and shut the door behind me.

“Bert?” I called out into the abyss of darkness. I looked around and saw Bert’s power tools strewn about. He wasn’t the neatest, but he got the job done. My hands started shaking as I reached the stairwell. “Bert?” I called again yet, no response.

I felt the already formed knot in my stomach get tighter and tighter as each agonizing second went by. I hastily went up the stairs, no longer scared of what’s lurking in shadows. It was like my terror gland in my body was all used up. It was exceedingly dark in this wing; I wondered how Bert worked in this obscurity.
“Bert?!” I bellowed down the long corridor.
“Lindsey?!” I heard from down the hallway. I saw a dark figure, holding a flashlight pointed at me.
“Bert?”
“It’s Joseph-” he answered as he ran over.“-why are you here?” he sneered.
“I’m looking for Bert.” I said sternly.
“Oh, your boyfriend?” He said as he smirked.
“Yes.”
“Psh, great boyfriend you picked.” Joseph said as he snickered.
“Bert’s a wonderful man.” I said as I grew angry.
“As far as you know.” Joseph said as he sighed and leaned against the wall.
“I’m not listening to you.” I said stubbornly as I started walking off in the other direction.
“You should know that he’s a player. He takes advantage of pretty, young girls like you.” Joseph said as he chuckled lightly. “You could leave now before it’s too late.”
“You’re a liar. Nothing but a filthy fraud.” I said as I continued to walk.
“…Who would know him better? A betrayed brother or… some fling?”
I stood, motionless.
“You’re just… Another one of those girls he can take advantage of. To make girls like you feel sorry for him. Lonely, vulnerable girls like you.” Joseph said as he walked up to me. “Don’t be stupid and fall victim for his pity stories.” He sneered as he brushed my hair to the side and came close to my ear.

“He’s a liar and a cheat.” he whispered grimly. He placed a kiss my cheek then walked off into the darkness.

Just hearing the word ’cheat’ roll off his lips so nonchalantly, bothered me. I shrugged it off and continued down the corridor. “Bert?”
“Yeah?”
I smiled and ran to a room dimly lit by a work lamp. “Hi, Berty.”
“Hello.” Bert said as he looked up and smiled. He took off his gloves, walked over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist.
I grinned and kissed his lips. “How was work?”
He sighed and looked around the room. “Tough. How was your day?”
“Same…” I answered, trying not to replay the events that occurred earlier that day in my head.
“I’m sorry, honey.” Bert said as he kissed my lips and smiled. He looked down at me and seemed to notice I wasn’t taken by his smile. “What’s wrong?”

“We have to talk..” I said as I played with my hands.
“Oh my God… Are you pregnant?” Bert asked as he stepped back.
“What? No!” I said as I looked at him. “Bert-“
“Are you leaving me?”
“What?-“ I said as I widened my eyes.
“Are you quitting?” he asked as he came a little closer to me.
“Gerard wants to kill you!” I screamed, trying to shut him up. I glanced up at him and he seemed not phased. He actually laughed.

He laughed.

“Bert, this is not a laughing matter!” I said, shocked at how cavalier he seemed.
“Honey, he’s in a guarded room! What damage could he possibly do in a ID card guarded room?”
I froze and looked at him. He had a point. I smiled and kissed his lips.
“See, baby?” he said as he embraced me in his arms. “I’ll be fine-“ he added as he kissed my head “-I’m safe. “
He pulled me away to look at me. I looked in his eyes and he gave me a look that said 'trust me'. He smiled his famous smile and kissed my lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
pleasepleaseplease comment c: it means a lot!!