Status: 10/14/2020 - Currently being revised and a sequel is in the future! Chapters 1-3 are almost completely revised. c:

It's Not All What It Seems...

The Fault in Our Lies

“Robert McCracken, please rise”

I sighed shamefully and stood up. I put my head down to try to deflect the eyes of the courtroom stabbing at my every thought.

“You are being charged with possession of narcotics and selling said narcotics to minors... How do you plead?
I sighed again and looked up at the judge whose astringent eyes kept glaring down at me- making me feel as if I was two feet tall.
How do you plead, Mr. McCracken?”
I opened my mouth as to speak however, my words grew hesitant in my throat. I swallowed hard to try to dry my mouth to speak.
“I...I-I plead guilty, your Honor.” I finally said as I looked back down at my trembling hands.
I looked over and saw my brother sitting on the opposite side. I smiled at the sight of my brother. I can’t believe he’d show up to help me.
However, I was wrong.

I looked over and saw this jackass-looking dude walk over to me. He looked so fucking greasy and old- ugh, ew.
“Have you ever used any type of illegal substance before?”
I started to feel sweat running down my face. I turned and looked out the window, wishing I could just be free of this. “...No I have never used before.
“Well your brother says you use.”
My brother? “Well he’s a fucking liar.”
“Watch your language, Mr. McCracken.” The judge snapped at me.
“I’m..sorry.”
“So you’re saying the charges Joseph brought against you are fake?”
“I...didn’t even...”
“Enough with the questions.” My lawyer said as he stood up. “He never mentioned his brother would be here to testify against him.”
“...You’re right. You all can sit now.”
I quickly sat down in my seat and looked towards my lawyer.

“Is everyone who is going to give you a character reference here?”
“I... I’m not sure.” I replied as I turned and looked around the courtroom. I saw my mom two benches behind me. She gave me a kind smile and blew me a kiss. I couldn’t help but smile at her. My mom is one of the only few people who I truly care about. Despite growing up in a very Mormon household, my mother was always very lenient with me. To this day, I’m really not sure why. I turned to the other side and saw Lindsey, facing the other way. I sighed and turned back around.

“Yeah.. They’re all here.”
“Good, with a few character references; the jury will see you’re just an honest man trying to do good for your family.” He said with a consoling smile.
I smiled back and sat back, feeling confident in the trial ahead of me.

“Mr. McCracken, can you please call your first character reference?”
My lawyer stood up and walked over. “My client would like to call up Dr. Lindsey Cobain.”
“What is the relationship to the client?”
“Girlfriend and mother of his child.”

I smiled and turned to Lindsey. Jesus, she’s huge. I thought to myself as she walked over to the witness box. I started getting this warm feeling in my stomach as I started to think of me becoming a father. I couldn’t get over the fact that my baby was just...right there in her stomach. I sat up in my chair and just started thinking of the things I could do with my child.

“You may begin.” The judge said as he turned to Lindsey. I smiled and looked at Lindsey who was looking down at her hands.

My lawyer stood up and walked over to her. “How many years have you known my client?” He asked as he pointed to me.
Lindsey glanced at me quickly then back at him. “I’ve known him maybe...a little over a year.”
“You two are dating?”
“Yes.”
“How would you describe Robert?”
“A very kind... compassionate man, He’s very sentimental.”
“Do you have anything to corroborate that?”
“When I first met him, I was helping him renovate the hospital in which we work at.” Lindsey said as she moved her hair out of her face. “We were both working a late shift so he took me out to dinner at a diner near there. I told him about the passing of my daughter, which is a very tough subject for me, and he...just...held me.” She said as she looked up from her hands. “He comforted me in a way no one else has and it’s amazing how he possesses such a quality. It may not be much..” She added as she chuckled out of nervousness. “-but that is one of the reasons why it made it so easy to fall in love with Bert.”
“That’s all, your Honor.” My lawyer said as he sat down next to me and gave me another one of his reassuring smiles. I looked up to see Lindsey was still sitting up there.

“Does the prosecution have any questions?”
“Yes, we do your Honor.” Another lawyer said as he stood up. I looked over and saw the cheesy grease ball walk over to my girlfriend.
“Don’t worry about him” My lawyer said as he turned to me. “They’re only asking uniform questions to prove your credibility.

“Please answer yes or no, Ms. Cobain. Do you live with Robert?”
“Yes.”
“Did you ever notice any strange behaviour? And, to kindly remind you, you’re on oath.”
“..No.”
“Did you even know he was selling illegal drugs?”
“No.”
“The topic of drugs must bring back some sort of memories, Ms. Cobain, seeing as your parents are both users. Are you covering for Robert so he can raise your child?”
Excuse me? Why are you bringing my parents into this?!” Lindsey said in a state of shock. “My parents-”
“Yes or no only.”
“No.”

I looked over at my lawyer.
“He knows who your character references are... He just did background checks on them to make them nervous. This happens all the time.”
Oh..” I said as I nervously sat back in my seat. I watched Lindsey walk back to her seat and put her head in her hands. I wish I never put her and my child in this mess.

“Can you please call your last character reference?”
“Yes, Your Honor.” My lawyer said as he stood up. “My client would like to call Linda McCracken to the stand.”
I turned and watched my mom walk up to the stand. I smiled and knew my mom would make it better; just like old times. My mom sat and smiled at me after she took the oath. I smiled back.

“What is your relationship to my client?”
“I’m his mother.”
“How would you describe Robert?”
“My son is a very sweet and caring person. He always has been since he was a baby.” She said as she smiled. “He always puts others before himself.”
“Do you have anything that supports that, Mrs. McCracken?”
“Yes, I do. He grew up with four other siblings however, he stood out. He would always help me in with groceries, help me cook..” She said as she smiled. “His father would always be in the service so, he would always assume the role of the man of the house and take over. He still helps me to this day by running errands. He would always show the goodness of God by giving his lunch to other kids in school. He would always come home starving because he felt bad his friend at the time couldn’t afford to buy lunch. He’s my savior.”
“That’s all, Your Honor.” My lawyer announced as he sat down.

“Does the prosecution want to further the questioning?”
“Yes, we do.” The other lawyer said as he stood up and approached my mom.
“What religion are you?”
“Mormon.”
“Did Robert always comply to the strict teachings?”
“...Well...No. He’s very independant.”
“Well, in my records, it says he dropped out of high school.”
“Yes..He did.”
“Why?”
“He uh..-”
“Did you ever witness your son taking any illegal substances? And remember... You’re on oath.” He said with another cheesy smile.
I started sweating again as I looked over to my mom, who was a saint. I know she would never lie for me... Not on oath. I sighed and put my head in my hands.
“Yes.”
“What was he taking?”
“Methamphetamines.”
“What was the punishment?”
“..His father kicked him out of the house.”
“And he also dropped out of high school?”
“...Yes.”
“No further questions, your Honor.” He said as he went back to his seat.

I looked up at my mom who gave me a disapproving look. I never wanted to be a disappointment; especially not to my mother whom I cherished. I saw her eyes filled with tears as she walked back to her seat.. witnessing her beloved son getting fucked over by the court system for drugs.

“You said earlier you weren’t taking any drugs, Mr. McCracken.”
My lawyer stood up and started to speak on my behalf. “My client w-”
“I can talk for myself.” I said as I stood and looked at my lawyer than the judge. I realized I dug myself a hole too deep to climb out of. I have to fight my own battles from now on. “I lied because ...I’m only human. I’m a human who makes mistakes. I sold drugs to feed my own addiction and to support my family. Does it justify the action? No... It doesn’t. But you just gotta hear me out.” I said as I looked upon the judge, hoping he’d give me a chance.
The judge nodded and sat back.

“I met this amazing woman who I thought I’d never have a chance with because of my looks. But then, she surprised me by wanting me back. I never thought this could ever happen... Then she tells me she’s pregnant! Like.. me? How... How is this possible...” I say as I shake my head and smile. “Me becoming a dad? I just... I can’t imagine it. So I...started selling drugs to make a living for my girlfriend and my child.” I say as the smile slowly turns into a frown. “Again, it doesn’t justify it. I made a mistake. And because of this mistake, I won’t get to see my child when it’s born... I won’t get to see his or her’s first word or..steps.” I say as I start tearing. “All I ever wanted was to be the father I never had to my child and now I...c-can’t be that.” I swallow to try to save my voice from cracking. “I don’t even know...if she still loves me from...from seeing me this way. I just want to ..to be able to be there for my child.” I said as I wiped my eyes.

“That’s all your Honor.” I finished as I sat down and put my head in my hands.

“Let’s break for a 10 minute recess and the verdict will be given then.” The judge stated as he slammed the gavel. That slam echoed throughout my head. I rubbed my temples then looked back to Lindsey who... looked sick.

“There’s something wrong with my girlfriend.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the second to last chapter! c:
I hope you all are having a good summer!c:
xoxoxoxoxo <3