Status: 10/14/2020 - Currently being revised and a sequel is in the future! Chapters 1-3 are almost completely revised. c:

It's Not All What It Seems...

I'm Happy, This Time

"I hope you don't mind the diner.." Bert asked as he started eating spaghetti. He ate so sloppy. I normally would be grossed out, but with him.. It was such a turn on.
"I don't mind at all!" I said as I smiled at him. "I love the diner scene."
"Oh great." Bert said as he smiled at me. I started giggling, seeing the sauce all over his face. He blushed and quickly wiped it away.
"Sorry."
"Bert, you wear your food instead of eat it. I don't care." I said as I smiled again. I looked down at my plate.
"Chicken fingers and french fries" he said as he giggled. "The child came out in both of us."
I laughed also and looked at him.
"Can I ask you a personal question? If you don't want to answer... I understand."
"Go ahead, Bert."
"You said you had a daughter... I'm curious as to what happened?"

It took me long to even comprehend his question. I looked up and stared blankly.
He nodded and took another forkful of spaghetti.
"So, how are you liking Greystone?" He said as chewed. Dear God, did this guy have terrible table manners.
But it made me more attracted to the guy.
"She...died in a car accident."
The immediate look on his face shocked me. I've never seen a reaction like that. He dropped his fork and looked at me, eager to hear more. He looked legitimately upset. I looked into his eyes; I could sense the pain.

"I was always busy with school... So I left her with numerous babysitters. So one day.. One particular babysitter took her to the mall. On that day.. It was raining. Bad." I said as I shook my head. I hated reiterating this story. I looked down at my plate.
"Go on." Bert said as he put his hand over mine.
"On the way back.. The car skid out of control and hit into a tree. The roads were too slippery. She was going way too fast." I said as tears were running down my cheeks. "I lost my boyfriend.. and then I lost my daughter too?!" I cried as I looked out of the window.
"How long ago was this?" Bert said as he got up and sat next to me.
"...A couple of years ago..." I said as I tried to calm down.

Bert got up and paid the check. He didn't say a word to me. It was quite odd. I stopped crying by the time we reached his beat-up old Chevy. He opened my door and I got in. I buckled as he got in. I looked at him. He reached over and hugged me tightly. I couldn't help but to cry...all over again.
"Good girl, let it all out." Bert said in a soothing voice. "Come here." He said as he climbed to the back seat and pulled me back with him. He held me closer and stroked my hair.
"...What about your boyfriend?"
"He died in service."
"Oh.. I'm sorry." he said as he wiped tears from my eyes. "My uncle died in service when I was young."
"Aw.. Bert, I'm sorry!" I said as I quickly sat up.
"Linds, it's fine." he said as he laughed. "I wasn't that close to him."
"He's still your family." I said as I looked at him.
"I know.." he said as he sighed.
"Is something wrong?" I asked as I put my hand over his.
"I hate the army. All men from my family go into the army. My dad's a well-known army general." Bert said as he scoffed. "Fuckin' pigs."
"Is Joseph..?"
"No. He owns a looney bin."
I laughed and shook my head.
"You?"
"...I...I'll find my calling."
"Renovating." I said as I smiled.
"...Renovating just your office." He said as he smiled back.

I blushed like crazy. I didn't know how to flirt back. Ugh. I suck at this.
"You're sweet." I said as I smiled. Tears started rolling down my cheeks again.
"What's wrong, Lindsey?" Bert said as he wiped them from my cheeks.
"I'm happy, this time." I said as I smiled.
He smiled back and kept his hand on my cheek. I went in closer, I wanted my lips against his.

"What time do you have to be home?" he asked as he held my hand.
"11, or else my dad will get mad" I said as I stuck out my tongue.
"Watch it, Missy."
I laughed as he climbed to the front and started the car. Why wasn't he back here making out with me? Come on, bro.

"Lindsey.. I had a great time tonight."
"I did, too." I said as I smiled.
"How about dinner tomorrow night as well?"
"How about my house this time?" I said as I smiled. "I'll cook."
"Great." Bert said as he smiled big. He parked in front of my house and gave me a tight hug. "Call me if you need to talk, Lindsey."
"I will.. Thank you." I said as I got out and went to my door.

My stomach was full of butterflies and I was smiling the whole way to the door. Could this be called love?