Status: 10/14/2020 - Currently being revised and a sequel is in the future! Chapters 1-3 are almost completely revised. c:

It's Not All What It Seems...

The Perks of Being in an Elevator

Standing in the elevator, I began to fathom that the quiet hum of the decade-old machinery at work was consoling to me. This elevator worked in uncanny ways. It can make me feel claustrophobic, anxious, depressed, intimidated, and calm at the same time. I sighed and clicked the third button. I leaned back on the wall and closed my eyes to coast away with the grating sounds of this ancient box. This ride seemed longer than the rest, which was fine with me. I slowly opened my eyes and glanced down at the floor which I haven’t seemed to detect before. I was looking down at this stained mahogany carpet, deliberating the origins of these stains. Some were darker than others which alarmed me extremely. I sighed and put my purse strap over my shoulder as the elevator, and also my mind, came to a halt. I went to exit but, something rather strange caught my eye. I turned to the wall and looked at the shedding paint; however, there was nothing out of the ordinary. With a dreadful sigh, I reached out for the gate and felt something tremendously wet on my fingertips. In shock, I pull away and look at my hands. Blood. Where is this coming from? I turn slowly to the wall and look down slightly past the flaking paint. A blood-smeared hand print, dripping down into the mahogany carpet from the wall, adding to a stain in the carpet. Hyperventilating, I open the gate and frantically look around.

“Bert?” I shouted as I ran down the hallway. My voice echoed throughout the whole floor. “Bert! Answer me! It’s Lindsey!”

Worried, I ran to the end of the hallway where all of his power tools were. I grabbed his hammer for protection and swung myself around. I didn’t know what to expect in a place like this. I walked up slowly, checking the rooms to see if Bert was there. My hopes were diminished every time I found a room empty. I came up to my office and was shocked to see the lights on. I gently opened the door and looked around.

“Bert?”
“Lindsey”
“Bert!” I exclaimed as I dropped the hammer and kneeled down next to him. “What happened to you?!”
“Lindsey… I’m fine.”
“Someone attacked you!” I said as I helped him up off the decaying couch. “Who did this?”
“Lindsey.. Take care of me.” He said weakly as he smiled.
Seeing him smile made me smile. “..Of course.”

I assisted Bert downstairs to my car and helped him get in. On the way to my home, I made sure he didn’t fall asleep. It shattered my heart to see Bert like this.. At the stoplight before my house, I turned to him and smiled.

“You’ll be okay. You’re in my hands now.”
“I know. I trust you.” Bert said as he held my hand.

I blushed and parked in my driveway. Being around Bert gave me butterflies. Good butterflies. I helped him into my house and upstairs to my bathroom.

“Bert, you can shower. I want the door open and you talking to me so I know if you pass out or not.”
“Oh.. How sweet.” He said as he smiled and went in the bathroom.

I sat in my bedroom. And of course I peeked, I couldn’t help myself. He took off his shirt slowly and winced in pain. I frowned then looked at his chest. He was chubby, the perfect size. I blushed and played with my hands. He then took off his pants slowly with his boxers. He was very big. I took a deep breath and smiled. It took everything in me to merely sit on my bed. I needed to go in and kiss him. I got up and tip-toed closer to the door. Bert got in the shower. Ugh, I’m such a perv…

“So.. Are you gonna talk to me to keep me awake?”
“OH uh.. uh.. Yeah… uh..” I stuttered, caught up in my porn fantasies. Hearing Bert laughing on the other side made me blush from embarrassment. I changed into my pajamas and rested on my bed. “So Bert.. How was work?”
“It was good. I finished the second coat on your office… I finished your desk; I need to put a wood primer on it.”
“You built it from scratch?”
“Yeah..”
“Wow..”
“Joseph’s cheap. “ Bert scoffed.
“I can see.” I said as I laughed.
“Your office is my first priority.”
“Really?” I said as I smiled.
“Really. Hey, Linds, I don’t mean to be a bother but, I’m kinda hungry…”
“Junk food hungry, take out hungry, or left overs hungry?”
“I didn’t eat today so..”

I looked at my phone. It was 2 PM. I did not feel like cooking at this time.

“I could order pizza.” I said as I smiled. “I would make my own if I knew you were coming ahead of time.”
“You cook like that?”
“Yes!”
“Wow.. What a woman. Your boyfriend must be a lucky guy.”
“…I’m single.” I said as Bert stopped the shower.

After a few minutes, Bert stepped out with only his boxers on.

“You’re single?” Bert said as he raised an eyebrow.

I nodded as I threw a shirt to him. He put it on and sat on my bed.

“Well.. I would like to take you on a date…” Bert asked as he smiled. “I haven’t got much but, I assure you it’ll be the greatest night of your life.”

I blushed and smiled.

“What do you say?”
“I say… yes.” I said as I giggled and looked at him.
Bert smiled laid down with me. “Friday night. I’ll pick you up at 11.”
“11? Oooo.”
“I’m a night owl.”
“I guess it’s a thing we have in common…”

Bert laughed and grinned. He had this unforgettable grin. He looked like the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. It made me want him more. We spent majority of the night in my room eating pizza, critiquing Netflix movies and playing random board games I could find under my bed. Bert is the type of person who you can’t be sad around. He reminds me a lot of Astrid. If I had a crummy day, I would just take a walk with her or spend time playing with her. Occupying this time with Bert really fills this void… It’s not the same but, he really belongs in my life.