Status: Updates Eventually.

It's Been a While

Call the Theatre God

"You know,” Gavin started off again as soon as Natalie and Aiden left. Jillian was busy trying to get Dom to agree to not going into the attic any more if she bought him minecraft. I doubted the kid even knew what it was, but it seemed to be working.  “You don’t look like your sisters too much.”

“I was adopted. We all were,” I answered quickly. He was starting to sound British.

“I know, I’ve been working with Jillian for long enough to know that. Just making conversation.”

“Well, I need to go open up my room again for the first time in god knows how long because if I wait any longer Cupcake’s going to murder me in my sleep.”

“I could protect you, if you want.” I could hear the implications echo through the room.

“Your flirting isn’t going to work on me.”

“Damn it! Another exception?” He cried. “Is it something in the water in this house?”

“I’m a theater kid,” I smiled. “That’s how it goes. You either date someone in theater, or some really attractive French person.”

“I don’t suppose you could make an exception for a Brit like myself? It’s close to France,” Gavin pleaded. “I was in the drama club in primary school, does that count?”

“Nope. Sorry. You can call Tito, though. He’s basically our god. His sister is head tech and together they hold the group together. Tito’s second job is the matchmaker. He can either tell you someone in the area, or yell at me until I agree to give you a chance,” I finished and flounced back up the stairs.

Gavin stared at the phone number in his hands.

“Cupcake?” I called cautiously into the room. “Cupcake, I’m sorry I left. You gotta understand me though, I couldn’t stay here, and I was in full angst mode. I wasn’t even myself anymore. I couldn’t even bring you with me because it was too dangerous. You know when I come home most nights? I wouldn’t be able to keep you safe and fabulous.”

I turned on the lights and there was Cupcake, sitting on the bed. It really hadn’t changed besides maybe getting cleaned occasionally.

“You had Dom to keep you company, too. And Natalie got you this awesome little tux,”

“What?” I didn’t think I’d heard him right. “Really? The dachshund from next door? Oh, Cupcake, I’m so sorry,” I replied, pulling the unicorn close to my body.  “You’re better than that, though. You’re going to make it through this.”

“JESUS. SWEET JESUS. OH, GOD.” That was distinctly Frank. It wasn’t a sexy time scream, either. That was pure shock and worry.

I dug around in the nightstand drawer for my old phone. It was still there, and as I learned when I called Natalie, it still worked.

“I think Frank’s having a baby.” I was too afraid to go downstairs and check for myself, so I hid under the blankets and listened to Jill and Gavin try and figure out what the hell was going on.