Status: Updates Eventually.

It's Been a While

Life is Tough

“So, Dom,” I started. We’d been left alone while Natalie and Aiden finally went to make the grilled cheeses, Frank went to phone his family to get them to Gerard’s house, and Jill drove Gavin home. “What’s it like, here? I haven’t been anywhere near New Jersey for a really long time.”

He thought about it for a while.

“I’m going to marry Lucy and Bandit’s turning four soon.  Cherry and Lily don’t like to play with Miles because he cries a lot and Mommy calls Daddy Daddy and life is tough,” he finally sighed.

“Don’t worry, Dominik. Things get easier for a bit. Besides, at Natalie’s wedding there’s going to be a huge cake. You know that, right?”

“Cake!” He agreed, and helped me color a flower garden.

“Becca?” The front door opened behind us. Ray and Christa were fussing with some sort of wrapped box. “When did you get here?”

“Just before. Natalie and Aiden are making grilled cheese.”

“She’s not telling us anything about the wedding,” Christa sighed. “It’s all a surprise.”

“I didn’t know until earlier today that she was even getting married,” I reminded them, resisting the urge to ignore the pair and keep coloring. “Next thing I know I’m running to catch a plane and suddenly Jill has a baby, Natalie’s got a horse, and my unicorn had an affair that ended tragically with a dog prone to spinal issues. So the fact that the wedding is a surprise and not in my face is a welcome relief.”

“Sweetie, do you need something to drink? A soda, or some juice? You sound like your blood sugar’s pretty low. I’m going to get you and Dom some juice boxes.”

“Yes, thanks Christa. And where’s Bandit? I’ve been here for hours and haven’t seen a trace of the kid.”

“Moping, probably. Ever since Lyn-Z told her she was going to be a flower girl she’s been holed up in her room.”

“We played house before. You were napping,” Dom explained, taking the juice box appreciatively from Christa.

I followed suit and tried to relax. Frank and Jamia strolled back in with Cherry, Lily, and a baby carrier holding who I assumed to be Miles. Mikey and Alicia were running late so I helped get dinner ready by setting the table for nearly twenty people.