Status: Updates Eventually.

It's Been a While

The Inevitable Discussion of Futures

“I just… I just get so frustrated.” Natalie had convinced me to not go straight for the whiskey hidden behind the peanut butter and actually sit and eat something with substance once she fished out the key to Gerard’s house and we tried to make things normal. Nearly four days with a bunch of party-animal actresses and I’d probably drank my weight in various cocktails and energy drinks instead of actually eating anything.

In the tradition of the family, I was sitting back at the kitchen table now with a plate of grilled cheese and a dinosaur spoon. “Bob’s never liked me acting. I think it’s because of the parts I get.”

“Columbia’s a lovely part, though.”

“I always wear next to nothing, it seems. And I get it. I’m the youngest of the trio, and I went from covering up nearly every inch of skin to suddenly showing everything. It’s unsettling and it makes people uncomfortable. Acting’s not permanent, either. If anything happens to my voice, or I suddenly put on or lose too much weight, I lose my parts. That means no income, and that means I actually have to get my shit together and go to college.”

“Becca!” Jill called, carrying more groceries in. “Why are there never any eggs? Is someone making soufflés?”

“Now we have to many,” Natalie sighed exasperatedly. “Because I went and bought some, and Becca had the originals, and now you have them- never mind. We’ll just make quiche. Come on, we’re talking futures.”

“I never went to college, you know. And look at me, I’ve got a kid, and a house, and Frank’s going to help me pay for piano lessons for Dom for Christmas.”

“And you’ve got Gavin,” I reminded her, stuffing the last bite of my sandwich into my mouth. “He’s pretty good with the kids too.”

“He’s insisting on taking me as a date to the wedding. Dom’s not too happy.”

“Well, we’ll find him a nice toddler date. Aiden’s got a lot of cousins, you know. Oh, that reminds me. I need to take you guys on a tour of my theater because my crew’s been dying to meet you. Becca, you might want to shower, you smell a bit…”

“Caffeinated?” I supplied, recalling the midnight snack of coffee and red bull. “Yeah, let’s just get back in time for dinner so I can cook and apologize for storming out.”